Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Skeleton in JKA

Page: 1 of 1
 ShadyD
10-22-2005, 3:25 PM
must be a way to do it.. now i call upon the pioneers of JKA modding once again to take it one step further.. I created a new biped. corto than suggested just to edit the JKA skeleton, so i did. but carcass keeps bitjin on me.. cant recall the exact error atm, ill edit tommorow, anyone who has done this before?
 razorace
10-22-2005, 4:52 PM
Try talking to Keshire about it. He would know. As for my opinion, I think the issue is mainly a one of porting all the basejka humanoid animations onto the new skeleton. That would be a huge amount of work. What do you need a new skeleton for anyway?
 ShadyD
10-22-2005, 6:15 PM
Yeah i realize the amount of work i would unleash upon myself.. but its worth it.. Im working on a mod and some of the characters are way out of proportion compared to the JKA skeleton.. and seeing the hair and clothes move also make it worth while ;)
 keshire
10-24-2005, 2:23 AM
Not gonna be possible. Game looks for specific bones, and the also looks for only the /_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

Anything else doesn't register as a player model. I had this issue when I was working with a four armed general grievous.

Only NPC's and Vehicles can use custom skeletons.
 ShadyD
10-24-2005, 2:57 PM
blah.. too bad.. if i recall right lee/almighty_gir said he had done it..
Also if jka works like the q3 engine how come the q3 engine CAN support new skellys while jka cant?
 razorace
10-25-2005, 2:01 AM
JKA uses an improved modeling system (Ghoul2).
 ShadyD
10-25-2005, 6:33 PM
so... either gir did the impossible or he's lying
 razorace
10-25-2005, 6:48 PM
mmm, I think it's technically possible, you'd just have to create special models and a lot of code to get it to work.
 keshire
10-26-2005, 4:55 AM
I tested this fairly thoroughly. Adding/deleting/renaming just one bone will disallow the model from being a player. Granted, you could totally rearrange the 52 bones in the skeleton however you like.

But then you run into the problem of the player specifically using the _humanoid.gla and no other. So you invalidate every other existing player model.
 ShadyD
10-26-2005, 2:26 PM
what about simply scaling bones.. for example making the skeleton with long arms but short legs.. just an example.. and than create your own set of animations for it
 razorace
10-26-2005, 3:29 PM
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to contradict Keshire on this, he is correct.

I was just indicating that it's technically possible if you're welling to put enough blood/sweet/virgin sacrifices into it. But you'd have to be really, really dedicated because you'd have to invalid all the existing models/animations to do it.

As for your scaling bones issues, my guess is that you could just scale the bone distances in the animations, and that would translate to larger bones on the models, but the models would have to be set up for it to make it look correct. Unfortunately, this is a modelling thing which probably has to be handled mostly outside of the code.
 Wudan
10-26-2005, 9:23 PM
In any case, it's going to be a ton of work, and your new frankenstein couldn't work as a regular player (ok, it could, but, still, it's a ton of work.)

Ideally, you'd need to have the engine source to work with (and obliterate the existing G2 bugs.)
 ShadyD
10-27-2005, 7:45 AM
Im dedicated enough i have enough virgins to spare and lots o blood.. though the thing is i dont know where to start. Im not really a computer-wizzard with coding etc
 keshire
11-03-2005, 3:11 AM
Im dedicated enough i have enough virgins to spare and lots o blood.. though the thing is i dont know where to start. Im not really a computer-wizzard with coding etc

Build Your model, Build your Skeleton (52 bones, exact naming of standard).

Those are all you need to make a new player skeleton. You don't even NEED all the anims. Just a 1 frame root to test. You also don't need to animate all the bones. But waste not want not. The ones you don't use for body movement can be used for other things. Like clothing.

Be aware. That the game does some seperating for upper and lower body.
 ShadyD
11-08-2005, 7:07 PM
sounds easy, wont carcass murder me? (srry for the late reply, bit hectic at work)
so lemme get this straight>
1. Construct/re-arrange the JKA skeleton (52 bones and same naming)
2. Weigh the apropriate model to it
3. Export with 2 frames, frame 0: Root (leonardo pose), frame 1: just some bones moved.
4. compile
5. Party?
 keshire
11-10-2005, 5:42 AM
sounds easy, wont carcass murder me? (srry for the late reply, bit hectic at work)
so lemme get this straight>
1. Construct/re-arrange the JKA skeleton (52 bones and same naming)
2. Weigh the apropriate model to it
3. Export with 2 frames, frame 0: Root (leonardo pose), frame 1: just some bones moved.
4. compile
5. Party?

Carcass is only picky because 3ds max doesn't export hierarchy very well into xsi. But ya. Don't even have to move any bones in frame 1. ;)
 ShadyD
11-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Right sorry for the late reply again but i dont visit these forums daily anymore :/ neways what about the bones that i dont need for example the face bones, can i use them to do other stuff?
oh yeah and there are allot of bones that dont need weighing but still do something (motion_eff etc) can i use those too or do i have to place em at a specific place?
oh and what about the model.car
 razorace
11-17-2005, 1:16 PM
The motion bolt is used for aligning the torso with the legs. I wouldn't mess with it.
 ShadyD
11-17-2005, 2:19 PM
Any other bones i have to keep in its place?
 razorace
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
The model_origin (I think that's the name). It's used to base the model into the game world. (IE, it's your ground for animation purposes)
Page: 1 of 1