Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Not loading anymore

Page: 1 of 1
 Analia
10-18-2005, 3:47 AM
One day I was playing TSL fine and the next it won't load for me. When I click the icon for it it goes to the launcher, I click play and the screen goes black and stops loading. The only cause I can think of is that I have four characters with save gaves and each have about five minimum saves. Is that too many?

What is wrong and why isn't it loading? How can I fix it?
 TheOssusKeeper
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
you can never have too many saves I don't think... so I don't think that is the problem...

try getting the latest video drivers for your vid. card and installing them, then give it a whirl to see what happens...

also try turning off the movies from the launcher > configure > Disable movies (at the bottom right of the new screen)
 Darth333
10-18-2005, 1:00 PM
definitely not the saves... I have more than 100 :p You can have as much savegames as you want.

If what the OssusKeeper suggested doesn't work, could you post your specs?
 stingerhs
10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
hmm, sounds similar to a problem i had on my old computer. i'd load the game and get to the main menu only to face a black screen with the menu music playing in the backround. i never really figured it out after reinstalling the game, getting the latest video drivers (i had a GF-FX5600), and doing a ton of system maintenance. in retrospect, i think the problem was probably with either the new firewall my Dad installed or with another program that my Dad finished installing at the same time.

basically, if you have a firewall other than the Windows Firewall running, see if you can find a log that lists the programs that its blocked from running. if you see 'swkotor.exe' (or swkotor2.exe in the case of TSL) as being blocked, then add the game to your list of allowed programs. if you can't find it, physically disconnect your computer from the internet (unplug whatever has you connected) and disable the firewall.

if that doesn't fix the problem, you may want to start doing some research to see exactly what's running on your computer. press the infamous 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' key combo and pull up the task manager. under the 'Processes' tab is a list of all the programs that are running, both backround and foreground programs. then check out this handy program library (http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php) to find out exactly what's running. if you find anything suspicious, you might want to seriously consider looking into finding a way to shut them down.

also consider checking out this trial-based utility (http://www.tune-up.com/info/lp/tuneup-utilities/?ap=1609) to help clean up your system. it has a ton of handy tools that are extremely useful to help get your computer running better in general.

otherwise, my solution to the problem was to simply get a new computer. anyways, i hope that helps out just a bit. :)
 Analia
10-19-2005, 1:10 AM
Well I have a warning under configuration for video but I have that with number one too and its never been a problem.
 TheOssusKeeper
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
What type of Vid. card do you have?
Is the worning on the card or the drivers?

You may need a new Vid. card... sometimes the vid. card that you used for kotor won't work for kotor 2... it has something to do with OpenGL drivers and shading and the like, ChAiNz explains pretty well in this thread...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=1905763#post1905763)

Post #18
 Analia
10-20-2005, 4:16 AM
The warning is for open gl but it has always worked before its not as though I'm new to Kotor 2.
 The Doctor
10-20-2005, 2:51 PM
If it's for TSL, then it might be a glitch in the last saved game you opened. I had the same problem. Try backing up then deleting your saves. If that does n't work, try re-installing. If that doesn't work, place your hands frimly on the desk, and bang your head repeatedly. If you black out, stop banging your head.
 jmac7142
10-20-2005, 7:29 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a PCI Express video card would you? If so, I'd recommend that you update the drivers for your motherboard, as this sort of thing has happened to me as well, with the Aurora(NWN) and Odyssey(KotOR) engines both, it's just the way the bus handles the data with the drivers from the time of it's release and would have thrown the OpenGL error too. Also, check what version of OpenGL you have. If it's under 1.5, then you should find some way to update (although I'm not sure where/how you could do so...)
 ChAiNz.2da
10-21-2005, 8:18 AM
Also, check what version of OpenGL you have. If it's under 1.5, then you should find some way to update (although I'm not sure where/how you could do so...)updating DirectX should in theory upgrade your OpenGL as well (though I think it's only to 1.1 via Micro$oft)... otherwise Nvidia (and I'd assume ATI as well) have updated OpenGL versions contained in their latest drivers :)
 TheOssusKeeper
10-21-2005, 8:47 PM
nVidia has the new 2.0 version included in their drivers, you might give 'em a try if your card is that type...

but if the warning is on OpenGL, just get the updated drivers and install them...
Page: 1 of 1