Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Face Customization?

Page: 1 of 3
 LegoRevan
10-03-2005, 6:47 AM
Hey All,
Here's Another Poll For Ya All To Vote On...

I Thought About This Idea For A Fair While And Thought It Would Be A Cool Addition For KOTOR 3. Anyway, How Cool Would It Be To Customize Your PC's Face? Like The Eyes, Hair, Mouth, Colour, etc. For Those Who Have Played The Sims 1 Or 2, You Know What I'm Talking About. No More Just Picking Already Pre-loaded Faces. Argree Or Disargree I Think It Would Make A Big Difference To The Game.

Well That's What I Hopes In KOTOR 3.

What Do You Guys Think?
 Prime
10-03-2005, 8:14 AM
I'd like to see it...
 Venom750
10-03-2005, 8:23 AM
intresting idea because then no two characters are the same very good
 Darth Covetous
10-03-2005, 8:28 AM
Sounds cool to me.
 Bob Lion54
10-03-2005, 8:28 AM
I think it would be pretty cool.
 fresnosmokey02
10-03-2005, 9:38 AM
Sure, why not? I already customize my characters looks, at least as much as I am able, by graphically altering the templates for the faces i.e. creating my own DS transitions, putting makeup on the females, etc. Heck, I can't play the game more than a couple of minutes without wanting to change/mod something. LOL.
 Kain
10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a sweet idea. Of course, given the way things are going I doubt it'll happen. I'd say the closest they'll get is giving us like 3 more heads to choose from. Oooh. Ahhh.
 Kensai
10-03-2005, 11:41 AM
It would be good, but UI doubt it will happen, considering it's not new or anything. Saying that, immense detail could be used on the 360 and/or new PC's...
 MdKnightR
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
It was such a good idea, I mentioned myself a few weeks ago in another thread. ;) I think it would add a great amount of diversity to the game.
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-03-2005, 4:21 PM
Great idea. Custiomizable faces sounds great. Also, insert some head models from KOTOR 1 and 2 (please from KOTOR 1 the neck-length hair guy and a Pierce Brosnan head to add. :( ).
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 4:32 PM
I guess there's a quantitative question here, too. I mean, it'd also be great if you could renovate the Hawk, and make HK-47 wear a pink tutu. However, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the programmers working on things other than engine mods.

That said, I still really like the idea (and voted yes). It's just a question of priorities, and ideal worlds :).
 Shrub91
10-03-2005, 5:00 PM
It'd be good to see Alderaan in K3, and to have Bioware at the helm again.
It'd be cool to see the gangs from K1 & K2 along with some new guys too.
It'd also be good to actually hear the PC's voice for once too.
And need I say....... MAKE IT FOR MACINTOSH TOO!!!!!!!!!
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 5:16 PM
Yes, Have a voice for the PC. They'd just need a male and female actor to read out the lines and cover all the bases. Also I like the customizeable faces idea- hair style, hair color facial features etc. The more options the better.
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 5:22 PM
And need I say....... MAKE IT FOR MACINTOSH TOO!!!!!!!!!

Totally behind you, but I don't think Aspyr will pick it up again, after ATI screwed up the drivers to make Doom work better. They totally screwed up KotOR. In any case, it's not up to Obsidian, basically what happens is they sell the rights to port the game to Aspyr (or the like).
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-03-2005, 6:20 PM
Yes, Have a voice for the PC. They'd just need a male and female actor to read out the lines and cover all the bases. Also I like the customizeable faces idea- hair style, hair color facial features etc. The more options the better.
I'll give you a medal for that. :)

To Developers:

MAKE THE PC HAVE A VOICE ALREADY!!! I WANT TO FEEL LIKE A CHARACTER, NOT A PUPPET!!!!!!!!!!
 ForceFightWMe12
10-03-2005, 6:27 PM
I Thought About This Idea For A Fair While And Thought It Would Be A Cool Addition For KOTOR 3. Anyway, How Cool Would It Be To Customize Your PC's Face? Like The Eyes, Hair, Mouth, Colour, etc. For Those Who Have Played The Sims 1 Or 2, You Know What I'm Talking About. No More Just Picking Already Pre-loaded Faces. Argree Or Disargree I Think It Would Make A Big Difference To The Game.

That's a pretty cool idea. But I would rather it be like the Sims 2 where you get to customize absolutly everything about your character's face. Maybe even their clothes...

Yes, Have a voice for the PC. They'd just need a male and female actor to read out the lines and cover all the bases

That would be AMAZING. I agree with Vladmir, I'm tired of not being able to actually hear my character talk. Reading script and actually hearing the voice of a player makes game expirience (to me anyway) a lot more enjoyable. Its one of the reasons why I like KotOR over Morrowind or some other RPG.
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 6:30 PM
I'm tired of not being able to actually hear my character talk.

I'm not sure I want to have the PC speak every line (what if I don't like the voice?), but even the little "Hmm?"s that the KotOR I PC made when you clicked on her (okay, maybe him) added a lot. As I recall, KotOR II was missing this.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-03-2005, 7:34 PM
I don't want a voice for the PC. I feel it's better for immersion if I imagine his/her voice. Revan's voice in K1 didn't really fit the character, sounded a wee bit too young to me.

That's the thing, we all have our version of how our character sounds like.

It's a bit like Gordon Freeman in Half-Life. If he had a voice, he wouldn't be as cool or loved. Or even Mario, but that's actually unexplainable...
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 7:51 PM
You could have an option to turn off the PC's voice if that's not your thing. I think it would be a nice addition to the game.
 Wampa
10-03-2005, 7:55 PM
I really hope the voice AND customization happen, I personally dont like many of the preset faces :(
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 7:59 PM
Also I think adding scars to the PC throughout the course of the game would be cool too. Kind of like what they did in Fable. Sort of like what Luke Skywalker's face had with the battle scars. I would imagine nicks from a lightsaber would leave scars right? How about losing limbs in a lightsaber fight? You'd have to get cybernetic replacements etc.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-03-2005, 8:02 PM
How about losing limbs in a lightsaber fight? You'd have to get cybernetic replacements etc.

I like the idea of some battle scars but losing limbs might be a little too much. You'll end up being Robocop or something.
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 8:26 PM
How about losing limbs in a lightsaber fight? You'd have to get cybernetic replacements etc.

You kinda got the scars if you went DS in TSL, no? I did like Bao-Dur and his arm. Though it pissed me off the first time Kreia's hand got cut off, and the cool vibrosword I'd given her to use disappeared from the galaxy. GRRR! I never made that mistake again -- I didn't have much of anything that early in the game!

Though once again I'd rather they put the manpower into story scripting than funky interface feeps and character decorations. I REALLY don't want another game with a premature ending. The engine is pretty mature. I'd rather they just used it more or less as-is, and put the effort into CONTENT! CONTENT! CONTENT! The pretties are nice, but a distant second in what makes KotOR great (IMHO).
 Shrub91
10-03-2005, 9:38 PM
Ok ok, please get back on subect, sorry I started this off-topic thing.
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 9:38 PM
Right, they definitely need to work out a story that doesn't have all the plot flaws, dead ends and abrupt ending TSL had. although this was because the game was RUSHED to meet the holiday purchase deadline. Also more NPC development. More interaction and conversation trees with the NPC's. And if there is going to be a love interest, for God's sake- show a kissing scene make it worth the trouble.
 Shrub91
10-03-2005, 9:44 PM
Totally behind you, but I don't think Aspyr will pick it up again, after ATI screwed up the drivers to make Doom work better. They totally screwed up KotOR. In any case, it's not up to Obsidian, basically what happens is they sell the rights to port the game to Aspyr (or the like).
Well, there's a VERY simple fix for this:
Go into SWkotor.INI (use Spotlight/Search)
and put "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1"
under
"[Graphics Options]"

for God's sake- show a kissing scene make it worth the trouble.
Hallelujah!!
Couldn't have said it better myself!
LOL!
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 9:58 PM
Well, there's a VERY simple fix for this:
Go into SWkotor.INI (use Spotlight/Search)
and put "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1"
under
"[Graphics Options]"

Wow :). I will definitely give that a try, thanks. My Dantooine was nearly unplayable, but it's been okay since then. I did read that if you revert to a previous version of Panther, it worked better, but I've been kinda hoping that if I upgrade my PowerBook to Tiger, it'll fix. In the meantime, I got past Dantooine, and it's only been a little ugly a couple of times.

I want Tiger anyway :).
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 10:20 PM
What actors would you like to do the voices of the PC in Kotor III? I'd like to hear Hugh Jackman (in his normal Australian accent) and Famke Jansen as the female version of the PC.
 TheExileReturns
10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
also if Revan and the Exile appear in Kotor III- as NPC's, they would need voices too. You would have to choose their gender in the beginning of the game as well as what their faces looked like to you. Name some actors that you would like to hear do their voices.
 MdKnightR
10-04-2005, 2:28 AM
What actors would you like to do the voices of the PC in Kotor III? I'd like to hear Hugh Jackman (in his normal Australian accent) and Famke Jansen as the female version of the PC.

Yeah, I could go for that, but I have a better suggestion...

Male - Michael Rosenbaum
Female - Jessica Alba

As for other characters, I think that John Glover should do the voice of a Jedi Master or Sith Lord. Michael Wincott would also make a great voice for a Sith. Rene Russo would make a good voice for one of the party members (or maybe a female Revan). Daniel Day Lewis would be ideal (imo) for a male Revan.
 Prime
10-04-2005, 8:46 AM
I hope they don't have voice actors for the PC. Everyone has a different view of what their PC should sound like, so whatever actor is used won't satisfy everyone. I like it as it is personally. I can use my imagination for what my own character sounds like.
 fresnosmokey02
10-04-2005, 8:54 AM
Yeah, I could go for that, but I have a better suggestion...

Male - Michael Rosenbaum
Female - Jessica Alba

As for other characters, I think that John Glover should do the voice of a Jedi Master or Sith Lord. Michael Wincott would also make a great voice for a Sith. Rene Russo would make a good voice for one of the party members (or maybe a female Revan). Daniel Day Lewis would be ideal (imo) for a male Revan.

I think I'd rather look at Jessica Alba than listen to her. As for voice overs how about Michael Dorn, Tony Todd, Edward James Olmos, and/or Christopher Judge. They all have awesome voices and great potential for voice overs. As for females, how about Rachel Luttrel, Jery Ryan, or Jolene Blalock. I know these are already all sci fi people, but sci fi has a way of recycling their actors/personages a la Ethan Phillips of K1.

I mean for NPC's...I don't think the PC needs to say anything but "Huh?" "What?" or "Done!". And you don't need a famous voice for that.
 MdKnightR
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
I think I'd rather look at Jessica Alba than listen to her. As for voice overs how about Michael Dorn, Tony Todd, Edward James Olmos, and/or Christopher Judge. They all have awesome voices and great potential for voice overs. As for females, how about Rachel Luttrel, Jery Ryan, or Jolene Blalock. I know these are already all sci fi people, but sci fi has a way of recycling their actors/personages a la Ethan Phillips of K1.

I mean for NPC's...I don't think the PC needs to say anything but "Huh?" "What?" or "Done!". And you don't need a famous voice for that.

Those would all be great choices for voices, but I still say that Michael Wincott (he played "Top Dollar" in The Crow) has a very Sithy voice and should be considered for a character in the game somewhere. Clancy Brown (Kurgan from Highlander) would also make a good darksider. In fact, I think he would have made a better choice for Darth Sion.
 Bob Lion54
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
....As for voice overs how about Michael Dorn, Tony Todd, Edward James Olmos, and/or Christopher Judge. They all have awesome voices and great potential for voice overs. As for females, how about Rachel Luttrel, Jery Ryan, or Jolene Blalock. I know these are already all sci fi people, but sci fi has a way of recycling their actors/personages a la Ethan Phillips of K1.

Michael Dorn has one the best game voices. I was thinking of that before I read your post. So for that, I definetly agree. (for those who do not know who he is, he played Worf in Star Trek The Next Generation and DS9)

Ethan Philips is another great voice! I was pretty exited when I heard him in K1.(he was the scared bounty hunter in Ahto.)

The one voice I need to add is Cam Clarke (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0164682/) !!! When I heard his voice in K1 I literaly jumped out of my chair. If you grew up in the 80's you will definetly know his voice! Heres a hint: he was a Ninja Turtle (from the original cartoon).

Check out Cam Clarke's official site. If you click on "voice samples" you can hear some of the great voiceovers he has done! http://www.camclarke.com/) (and you can here him sing. He is pretty good)

For further proof he needs to be in the game:
K1: he was in the game. The game rocked
K2: no Cam! The game was not as good! :lol:
 Darth333
10-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I hope they don't have voice actors for the PC. Everyone has a different view of what their PC should sound like, so whatever actor is used won't satisfy everyone. I like it as it is personally. I can use my imagination for what my own character sounds like.
I agree 110% on this. Moreover, it would be a bit weird in terms of gameplay: we would have to read all the possible answers and then make our selection and hear the answer afterwards...I bet most of us would just click to skip it. It's just a loss of ressources IMHO.

As for face customization, it would be cool but it is far from being a priority to me. I prefer to have a solid storyline and well written dialogues than tons of goodies.
 MdKnightR
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
I agree 110% on this. Moreover, it would be a bit weird in terms of gameplay: we would have to read all the possible answers and then make our selection and hear the answer afterwards...I bet most of us would just click to skip it. It's just a loss of ressources IMHO.

I would have said the same thing yesterday, but when I decided to install and play Vampire the Masquerade - Redemption last night, I thought it was cool that the character repeated the dialogue you chose. I think it would be good for KOTOR 3 as well.
 Bob Lion54
10-04-2005, 12:45 PM
HEHE

I like the Christof charactor in Vampire, his overacting was awsome! While I agree its cool for some games, I have to agree with Prime and Darth333 on this one. It's just not something I would want in KoTOR.

The thing about games like Vampire is that you are playing a charactor made by the delvs. With kotor, the idea that that each charactor is unique to the player.

I will say that PC voices worked well enough in Neverwinter Knights. You could select from a few different voices, but they only had battle crys and such. I wouldn't mind that in KoTOR, but its not a major thing. I wouldn't want them to repeat every line of dialogue you chose, though. The reasons are already stated by D3.
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-04-2005, 2:12 PM
It's a bit like Gordon Freeman in Half-Life. If he had a voice, he wouldn't be as cool or loved. Or even Mario, but that's actually unexplainable...
He's a FPS character, and it's Half-Life. In FPS's it isn't neceseary to have great voice acting to enchance the gameplay while it is mostly focused on shooting up aliens and goverment special forces.

This is STAR WARS. :D

You could have an option to turn off the PC's voice if that's not your thing. I think it would be a nice addition to the game.
That's the most thoughtful thing I have heard on this topic. Great idea!

Jery Ryan, or Jolene Blalock.
:indif: * Whistles carelessly...

You mean her:http://www.moveleft.com/moveleft/images/jeri_ryan_light_blue_sweater.jpg) and her: http://www.csiguide.com/images/jolene_blalock_7.jpg)

Well... How about those tow as head models AND voice support? :dozey: * Whistles carelessly... *

The one voice I need to add is Cam Clarke !!! When I heard his voice in K1 I literaly jumped out of my chair. If you grew up in the 80's you will definetly know his voice! Heres a hint: he was a Ninja Turtle (from the original cartoon).
I agree, he would make a good main character voice support.

Okay, my list:

Males:

1. Rino Ramano (he voice acted the main character [Alexander Munro] in Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and Elite Force 2).
2. Pierce Brosnan (head model AND voice support [if Exile])
3. David Duchovny
4. Harrison Ford

All I cold think for them.

Females:

1. Jessica Biel
2. Jeri Ryan
3. Jolene Blalock

That's all I can think of for now.
 Darth InSidious
10-04-2005, 2:50 PM
No, don't add a voice for the PC, unless you are going to record a voice for every language and every country! I'm English. I don't want yet another character from North America! I don't want my Jedi Weaponmaster from Alabama, and my Sith Lord from Minnesota, and I'm sure people from America don't want brummie Sith Marauders, and cockney jedi.....Not only is it unworkably difficult to do, it excludes other languages than English, and it doesn't allow for the fact that not everyone likes some people. Also, the Exile or REvan or whoever is meant to be YOU. How can any actor be YOU? It would remove the idea that you are the character....
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-04-2005, 3:07 PM
No, don't add a voice for the PC, unless you are going to record a voice for every language and every country! I'm English. I don't want yet another character from North America! I don't want my Jedi Weaponmaster from Alabama, and my Sith Lord from Minnesota, and I'm sure people from America don't want brummie Sith Marauders, and cockney jedi.....Not only is it unworkably difficult to do, it excludes other languages than English, and it doesn't allow for the fact that not everyone likes some people.
True. But it won't be much of a loss to do it now would it?

Also, the Exile or REvan or whoever is meant to be YOU. How can any actor be YOU? It would remove the idea that you are the character....
Oh, my friend! What a mixup. RPG characters aren't really YOU. They are a... creation or shape of yourself, they sort of represent you as a character. They lead the story which is decieded by you, but it doesn't meant that that person that leads the story is you, it is a mere FORM, PRESENTATION of yourself.

That's what I think. :D
 Darth InSidious
10-04-2005, 3:18 PM
All I'm saying is that to find that many voice actors to do that many lines would take millennia ;)
 chaleur
10-04-2005, 3:49 PM
I'm sure people from America don't want brummie Sith Marauders, and cockney jedi.....Not only is it unworkably difficult to do, it excludes other languages than English, and it doesn't allow for the fact that not everyone likes some people.

I think you're mostly wrong about North Americans. In general, we (read: me) love people who talk pretty. Cockney (even the rhyming stuff), New Zealand, South Africa, even a singing Cork Brogue (the kind the BBC likes to subtitle). However, I will agree you're right about people in other parts of the world being less tolerant. The French hate our Quebec accents (I'm Canadian), and the Spanish can't stand Mexican dubs.

It just doesn't seem to work the other way round (new world folks being intolerant of old world accents). At least, not in my experience, whatever that's worth. Maybe you all just sound better than us, or something ;).
 lukeiamyourdad
10-04-2005, 4:10 PM
He's a FPS character, and it's Half-Life. In FPS's it isn't neceseary to have great voice acting to enchance the gameplay while it is mostly focused on shooting up aliens and goverment special forces.

I don't think so. Sure, voice acting is more important in an RPG, but it still plays a great role in any game. In GTA:SA, there's pretty good voice acting, yet that's not the purpose of the game. In every game, voice acting is important.

Everyone:

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's been a lot of different actors with very different voices mentionned here for the role of the PC. Doesn't it mean something? Does anybody see it?

It merely shows how different our vision of the PC is. From one person to the other, the choice for voice actor is different. It shows how unique to each other the PC is.
 TheExileReturns
10-04-2005, 5:15 PM
Actually if Revan and/or Exile appeared in this new game they would have to be NPC's. You can't start out with a PC who is 30th Level Jedi Weapon Master or whatever they ended up being in your game. You would be starting out again with a 1st Level Jedi character. So as NPC's they would require voice actors to read their parts.

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
 RedHawke
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Everyone:

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's been a lot of different actors with very different voices mentionned here for the role of the PC. Doesn't it mean something? Does anybody see it?

It merely shows how different our vision of the PC is. From one person to the other, the choice for voice actor is different. It shows how unique to each other the PC is.
I agree 110% LIAYD! :D Hence why it is bad for certain types of games to give the main character a voice, as each of us want or imagine our PC's having a different voice. ;)

So my vote goes for no PC voices! :)
 Jackel
10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
As for face customization, it would be cool but it is far from being a priority to me. I prefer to have a solid storyline and well written dialogues than tons of goodies.
I agree, story first but if it was an easy thing to implement and oculd be done without taking resources from other aspects of the game.
Also due to the fact we would need a two copies of every line spoken (male and female) and voices for every possible line in the game it would take up a heck of a lot of space on the disc's. Space which could be better used for other things like story, cinematics, items etc etc.
 Jackel
10-05-2005, 12:57 AM

Also not every game head would fit with the voice, a mean tough type of guy wouldnt fit with a more "civilised" voice, a black head wouldnt fit a white voice*, different heads wouldnt even fit the voice actor selected. And doing mor then one voice per sex of character would again take up to much space, time and effort and wouldnt be as immersive as imagining the voice of your character.

*black voices seem to have a deeper sound to them then white voices so a higher pitched voice wouldnt sound that great.
 chaleur
10-05-2005, 4:17 AM
Hence why it is bad for certain types of games to give the main character a voice, as each of us want or imagine our PC's having a different voice. ;)

Did you ever play Planescape: Torment? I think it is widely considered to be one of the best story-strong RPGs of all time. The Nameless One certainly had a voice, and it really didn't take anything away. In fact, it worked really well. As I recall, it was Michael T. Weiss, the same actor who played Jarod in The Pretender television series. He was quite good.

That said, I'd still only vote for small vocal sound effects (not full lines) for the KotOR III PC. It'd be too much of a break from the previous games, and I've gotten used to it. I just wouldn't exclude the possibility of it working for a story-strong RPG.
 Jackel
10-05-2005, 4:44 AM
Did you ever play Planescape: Torment? I think it is widely considered to be one of the best story-strong RPGs of all time. The Nameless One certainly had a voice, and it really didn't take anything away. In fact, it worked really well. As I recall, it was Michael T. Weiss, the same actor who played Jarod in The Pretender television series. He was quite good.
I also believe in PST every single line wasnt spoken and you still had to do a hell of a lot of reading.

Its fine for a set character to have a voice, good on them for doing so. But as I said above, I choose a black character with a surfer type voice. It doesnt fit. oops there goes immersion ;)

Another problem with a full voice set is how the voice actor puts the inflictions on the sentances, it could be completely different to how you do it when you read the sentance in yor mind. Again breaking immersion.
 Bob Lion54
10-05-2005, 7:57 AM

Like I said above, that works in Planescape because The Nameless One is a charactor created by the Delvs. It works for him to have a voice.

Kotor is about making the charactor your own. It wouldn't work.

I wouldn't mind Battle Cries simular to Bastila's "The force fight with me!" If they did that, they would have to have different sets of voices you could choose. They would also have to include the ability to turn them off if you don't want to use them. (or what would be cool, the ability to easily add your voice to the PC. Talk about making the charactor truly your own!)

Personally, I would rather the delvs spend time on more important things, though.
Page: 1 of 3