Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Beta test (no pay subscription required)

Page: 3 of 4
 zerted
10-02-2005, 8:28 PM
I have always hated the double-clicking of a direction button (such as in UT### to dodge), but after a little while I am growing to like the seprate jump/roll buttons. It prevents the accendental jump instead of a roll or roll instead of a jump.

However, I also don't like having to press so many different buttons. It needs a balence...
 ParanoidAndroid
10-02-2005, 8:45 PM
Well I guess I can see your point, although I would still prefer the roll to be a move/jump combo instead of a diffrent button, I guess I just find it more convieniant then using a seperate button. Oh well looks like just one more thing i'm going to have to get used to...
 HordaK
10-03-2005, 3:08 AM
Well the only thing i can say about the Beta.... it Lags like hell...im an European, to be specific im from Germany and i never find any beta Server with a ping under 200 so its nearly impossible for me to test the game cause of the annoying "Connection Interrupted" Symbol and the lag every 5 seconds....dunno if its the beta at all or if its the fact that they dont have any european servers imo, in SWBF1 i have always many servers under 200 but in the beta not even ONE...

Ah and another thing...Yoda is a kinda toooooooooooooo small, he seems to be bigger in the Trailers.....
 MachineCult
10-03-2005, 5:52 AM
Yoda was barely past Luke Skywalkers knee in The Empire Strikes Back.
 Rebel_Trooper
10-03-2005, 6:12 AM
Yeah, I dicovered the Incinerator earlier, it's quite good. I'm still not sure about the Bothan though, on the 2 maps you can use him on, he's as visible as just about anyone else, and take into the equation he can't sprint or use weapons while stealth. He's useless, apart from the weapon. The devs really need to upgrade that stealth, he's already still visible, and then he flashes fully every so often. Maybe on Endor or a camo level it'll be good, but that isn't the point. He sucks, full stop.

Although I have heard from others he DOES turn fully invisible, just the flashes give him away. I might test that on a small server.
 ParanoidAndroid
10-03-2005, 6:14 AM
One new item Ive noticed is the scouts auto turret, has anyone found this item useful? I also noticed that the soldiers no longer have concussion grenades, I'm kind of dissapointed by this. Sure they weren't as destructive as thermal detonators but they had there uses, I personally always used them to destroy turrets at close ranges, and at least they gave the soldier some sort of minimal defense against vehicles. With the new vehical weakpoints in SWBF2 concussion grenades could be a bit more useful if they were still in the game.
 idle
10-03-2005, 7:10 AM
Must say the short half an hour I spent playing just there I was happy with considering it's not the complete version of the game. Might have a few minor gripes but the feel of the game is better than the original BF, me likey.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
:) Yesterday I played Capture the Flag.....the game took quite a while......either we suck or very good.....I talk about half an hour to finish the game, which is much longer than any level in Star Wars Battlefront, which in my opinion is an improvement....after you get the hang of the controls and the game, the game gets a little more exciting/fun. So, from what I saw the game is going to great to play online, splitscreen, and by yourself.
 idle
10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Got a shot as Han Solo earlier and had a dual with Boba Fett (who set me on fire), I still beat him. :) Han's blaster has got to be the greatest in the Galaxy.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Got a shot as Han Solo earlier and had a dual with Boba Fett (who set me on fire), I still beat him. :) Han's blaster has got to be the greatest in the Galaxy.

Yeah.....Han Solo's blaster is pretty deadly....like a one-shot kill for units. :)
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-03-2005, 2:03 PM
The beta version is pretty fun to play.....free and graphics are good....but it restarts to much and freezes. :mad:
 Rebel_Trooper
10-03-2005, 3:59 PM
One new item Ive noticed is the scouts auto turret, has anyone found this item useful? I also noticed that the soldiers no longer have concussion grenades, I'm kind of dissapointed by this. Sure they weren't as destructive as thermal detonators but they had there uses, I personally always used them to destroy turrets at close ranges, and at least they gave the soldier some sort of minimal defense against vehicles. With the new vehical weakpoints in SWBF2 concussion grenades could be a bit more useful if they were still in the game.

The Thermal Dets do some pretty good damage to vehicles now, and they stick to them like concussions. 5 or so people with a full load of Thermal Dets can take out the IFT-X! Sounds alot, but in battle, it's nothing considering all the rockets and blasters attacking!
 ParanoidAndroid
10-03-2005, 4:42 PM
Ah I see, I'm glad there still in the game in some form.

MachineCult
10-03-2005, 6:01 PM
You don't sound like you hate SWBF1 Rebel_Trooper
 ParanoidAndroid
10-04-2005, 6:19 AM
Another thing I've noticed, it seems the technicians and several of the officers lack the standerd blaster pistol back up weapon, I think this is kind of stupid, why did they fail to give them this standard weapon? And does anyone else really dislike the imperial officer's weapon? That sonic blaster, it just doesn't fit him at all, it seems that there just adding weapons for the sake of being diffrent instead of what makes sense
 Redtech
10-04-2005, 6:45 AM
Sonic Blaster? Ain't that Geonosian?
Oh well, downloaded it yesterday, lets see if it'll work on my Spyware infected PC!
 Rebel_Trooper
10-04-2005, 11:57 AM
You don't sound like you hate SWBF1 Rebel_Trooper

Well, it's a fantastic idea on paper, and certain elements of the game do go well, but certain mistakes in the development of the game like cutting the AT-XT and AT-PT, removing the Bothan, CC, CIS 6th and Imperial Officer, changing the gameplay so guns are really accurate (they were inaccurate for most of the game's development!) and inaccuracies to the Star Wars universe have placed the game on the wrong side of fun for me.

However, as I say, it isn't a diabolical game. There are some things I like about it, and I try not to constantly complain.

I will say, however, I have been pleasantly surprised with the SWBFII beta. It has been better executed. There is still far too much inaccuracy to Star Wars (as seen in my below comment) but the gameplay and gamemodes make it a worthwhile game.

Yes Redtech, the Sonic Blaster is a Geonosian weapon. And yes, it is out of place. Out of all the things in the beta, I most dislike what they've done with the Officer. He has no good weapon, his pistol is Geonosian (what the hell!?), his rage thing is almost useless and he doesn't even look like an officer. He needs fixing fast!
 zerted
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I've only seen 4-7 human players die from that Geonosian Weaon in SWBF2. Can those turrets even shoot to the ground? Seems, I'll just stick to the sniper.

...lets see if it'll work on my Spyware infected PC!
According to the EULA you agreed to, SWBF2 Beta can be considered spyware. It sould fit right in with the rest of your programs.
 Kurgan
10-04-2005, 3:45 PM
The beta version is pretty fun to play.....free and graphics are good....but it restarts to much and freezes. :mad:

Yeah, it's very crash prone. And despite many remaining weaknesses from SWBF1, the infantry game actually feels more fun this time around (though the vehicles are quite nerfed).

Hopefully they can get some good feedback from us and improve the final game and support it, so that it can reach some of the potential it had but never reached, back when the series was first introduced! If they were to improve, tighten up and tweak the space combat especially, this could be a fun game.
 Kurgan
10-04-2005, 3:51 PM
Yeah, I dicovered the Incinerator earlier, it's quite good. I'm still not sure about the Bothan though, on the 2 maps you can use him on, he's as visible as just about anyone else, and take into the equation he can't sprint or use weapons while stealth. He's useless, apart from the weapon. The devs really need to upgrade that stealth, he's already still visible, and then he flashes fully every so often. Maybe on Endor or a camo level it'll be good, but that isn't the point. He sucks, full stop.

Although I have heard from others he DOES turn fully invisible, just the flashes give him away. I might test that on a small server.

I think what they intended the "stealth" for was mainly to let you sneak over to a control point and start "capturing" it before anybody realized what was going on. After all, if somebody is patrolling an area between control points and doesn't see anybody anywhere near it, no reason to guard it too closely, right? It's obviously not the same as the Cloaking Shield in Jedi Academy Siege, which was to give you added stealth while sniping. This is more a movement tool to prevent you getting killed on your way to your goal I think.

Speaking of guarding, that reminds me, the last time I played Utapau, Clone Wars, I was fighting and fighting and then realized my ENTIRE TEAM was standing around one control point in their little one man walkers! They were facing the wall, ignoring enemies that would run by in full view of them! (These were bots of course, so bad AI, even on elite sometimes). I had to hop into each walker to force the bot out and order him to go attack something. Heh, the life of a Clone Commander... ;P
 Blackrider27
10-04-2005, 5:25 PM
yeah i love the game im definatly buying this. I can only enjoy the game for 2 minutes because of my comp keeps shutting down and freezing and this happend with all of my games counter strike and bf 1 luckily im re formating it on thurs
 ParanoidAndroid
10-04-2005, 6:05 PM
One thing I really hope they change in SWBF2 is the heavy weapons troopers mines. In the last game they were fun but could be annoying, especially when someone just ran into a room firing rockets and laying mines as he went, that was really lame and annoying. In SWBF2 it seems that they have tried to fix this problem by giving the Heavy weapons trooper less mines, I really don't think thats going to work. If they want to stop lame mine tactics they should give it to a class that doesn't have a rocket launcher, like the technicians. It would make a lot more sense IMO. It wouldn't hurt to make mines take longer to lay as well.
 zerted
10-04-2005, 9:41 PM
Longer time laying mines... Great idea. I think the rocket troopers should have them though. They are supposed to be the ones taking out the vehicles...
 Kurgan
10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Exactly right. They've gone out of their way to make destroying vehicles easier, so nerfing mines more would only serve to defeat that purpose...
 MandaloreBIC
10-05-2005, 12:04 AM
i feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
and how tf is zerted's sig so accurate?
 zerted
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
i feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
and how tf is zerted's sig so accurate?
I'm just that good at guessing. (Sorry I don't do lottery tickets...)
 ParanoidAndroid
10-05-2005, 5:55 AM
Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.

Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.

Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.
 Redtech
10-05-2005, 6:17 AM
I've only seen 4-7 human players die from that Geonosian Weaon in SWBF2. Can those turrets even shoot to the ground? Seems, I'll just stick to the sniper.

According to the EULA you agreed to, SWBF2 Beta can be considered spyware. It sould fit right in with the rest of your programs.
Well, it would if it would run! *Wah* I feel robbed. Oh well, better get used to it.
 Rebel_Trooper
10-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Nope, he doesn't turn fully steath, he still very visible, on both levels he is present (as an Imperial I've seen people use it and think it works). It is just awful! Lol, it can't be a movement tool because you can't sprint if you use it (it just turns off, and you are really visible, so sprinting is your life) and it doesn't allow you to get anywhere because everybody rushes to kill the "invisible" (haha) guy. He's so lame! Please devs, please make him better.

Other than that (and the Imperial Officer) I'm impressed with the beta. It's quite good fun!
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Other than that (and the Imperial Officer) I'm impressed with the beta. It's quite good fun!

I agree....I don't really like how they created the Imperial Officer....generally cause of his primary weapon.
 master_skywalke
10-05-2005, 1:44 PM
I saw the Imperial Officer was good in the first alphas (a SWBFII presentation movie from April) so why did they change it.Also, why do they give the Imperial Officer a Commando Pistol that shoots sonic blasts?(forgot the name, the blasts out of the Sonic Blasters of the Geonosians)
 Kurgan
10-05-2005, 3:05 PM
Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.

I guess I'm a hardcore JK series guy, because I see nothing wrong with using mines as offensive weapons. ;) Seriously though it takes skill, otherwise they blow themselves up.

And wouldn't you rather dump your load of mines before you get killed than save them all out of some sense of "honor"? If people lack skill, who cares. That's like arguing that guns shouldn't be able to fire fast or have a lot of ammo because people with bad aim will "spam" them... it's not really much of an argument, no offense.

Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.

Are you saying they should have seperate Anti-Infantry and Anti-Vehicle mines? Because otherwise I fail to see why a mine should destroy a vehicle, but not kill a single infantry man who steps on one... it just makes the game more complicated, but I could see it being done easily enough (like the Concussion Grenades/Thermal Detonators thing).

Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.

Considering they need everything they can get to destroy vehicles, I say they need those mines. You're saying they should instead just have double the rocket ammo? Because otherwise they don't stand a chance. You use up all your ammo destroying one vehicle (or the rare chance that you get a hot spot, you have a little left over to barely scratch the paint on another vehicle), and boom, you're sunk. Heavy Weapons guys racking up kills.. nothing wrong with that. ;) They shouldn't go toe to toe with somebody like that in the first place, unless they're suicidal!
 Kurgan
10-05-2005, 3:18 PM
I saw the Imperial Officer was good in the first alphas (a SWBFII presentation movie from April) so why did they change it.Also, why do they give the Imperial Officer a Commando Pistol that shoots sonic blasts?(forgot the name, the blasts out of the Sonic Blasters of the Geonosians)

What was he like there? Is that video still available?

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?
 zerted
10-05-2005, 3:35 PM
They could change the mines to be some sort of electric mine. It would give off an EMP or something and fry/damage the electronics on the vehicles. A person would get shocked, but not blown up. It could take away %50 of the player's health, and the rocket launchers would be given 4-5 mines.
 TK-8252
10-05-2005, 4:09 PM

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?

No.

In SWBF he had a standard blaster pistol, orbital strikes, supply dispenser, ability to uncover spies and track all enemies on the map.
 ParanoidAndroid
10-05-2005, 6:27 PM
Well you cannot set off your own mines in Battlefront so I think it takes a bit more skill to do it in JK, anyway I guess my view about how mines should work is just diffrent from yours, I see them as a sort of defensive tool placed around a command post or other key area to defend it against enemy infantry and vehicles alike. Not an argument just my opinion.

I really don't have a problem with mines killing infantry, I'm sorry my statement made it seem I wanted them to do no damage to infantry. I just think that they are being used incorrectly. Online the only time you see a heavy weapons troopers using mines against vehicles is when they run in front of a walker trailing mines behind them. All the other time the vehicle usually destroys the mine before detonating it, usually accidently or on purpose.

Instead they are used to attack command posts, killing people as they spawn before they have a chance to fight, even if theres a spawn invinciblity on, the rocket trooper usually gets you with his launcher before you even get up. It's kind of ironic, the maps were the heavy weapons trooper preforms the best is the maps where vehicles play almost no role.

Normally I have no problem with people using things "incorrectly", I think it's fun and kind of creative. Just so long as there is some balance, sure you can try to rush a command post with your rocket launcher and sniper rifle, but they are very innacurate weapons so you have to be pretty skilled (or lucky) to take over a command post on your own with them. But if the sniper rifle or rocket launcher fired as quickly as the blaster rifle, well the challenge is gone, everyone would be the sniper or the heavy weapons trooper and not just rack up kills but dominate the other players.

Mines arn't as overpowered as say a Heavy Repeating Super Rocket Launcher of Ultimate Pwnage, I just think it's kind of cheap the way some players use them. I guess I just think that they would fit better with the technician, who is more of a behind the scenes guy, responsibe for keeping things repaired and defending the base. Although I will admit removing the mines would require some balancing. Like maybe giving them a blaster rifle, not as accurate or as quick as the soldiers blaster rifle this one fires huge shots that can damage and finish off a weakened vehicle, and is very damaging to infantry but is slower and more cumbersome then a standerd blaster rifle making it less effective vs infantry.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-06-2005, 1:05 PM

I do recall seeing him the E3 demo at gamespot....hopefully this will help...http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/starwarsbattlefront2/index.html?sid=6130244)
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-06-2005, 1:14 PM
Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.
 Kurgan
10-06-2005, 1:42 PM
Ouch. ;P Well considering I do a scan every other day and regular registry scans/spyware scans I think I should be okay. But then of course Lucasarts and Pandemic take no responsibility if the beta screws your computer over according to the agreement you sign when you install it, so couldn't hurt to be on the safe side!

The beta is very unstable... I find that if I host a game in the morning, when I come home in the afternoon, it's no longer running. And yes, I set an admin password on it, so it's not like somebody is likely "hacking in and shutting it down." :P
 zerted
10-06-2005, 9:20 PM
Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.
Not many viruses would cause a system32 error. If you remember the error, I could tell you what caused it. Did the computer boot up into a blue screen? Did the computer boot up into windows and then give you the error? The chances it was caused by a virus from SWBF2 is very, very, very
small.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Well, when I turned on the computer, it load as normal than a black screen appeared on had all the stuff I listed above. And when I brought it in he (computer repairmen) said it was from the beta.
 biny
10-07-2005, 3:39 PM
This game is a nightmare! Everytime I join a game, (empty or full), seconds later the game crashes. My computer is meant for gaming so I know that my specs have nothing to do with it. (I just bought the 7800 graphic card) No one has an answer in the bug boards, help!!

Other poeple haveing my problem or close to it
http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionplanet/swbf2beta/topic.asp?fid=14924&tid=1747480)

2 things:

1. Its only a beta, it can only get better.
2. Its multiplayer and you might just be experiencing lag or a bad connection when connecting to the server.

Dont worry, be happy! :) :) :) :)
 Darth Alec
10-08-2005, 1:22 AM
No more keys left :(
 zerted
10-08-2005, 2:10 AM
^^Are you sure? They can always generate more keys. Did they run out with this batch and are going to release another batch, or did they just stop releasing keys?
 MachineCult
10-08-2005, 7:34 AM
Well i have it. lol, It doesn't work but i'm keeping it just in case.
 minilogoguy18
10-09-2005, 11:20 PM
does anyone know how to create a game? ive been lookin around but havnt seen anything about how to do it. i think the game will be good though, alot better than the first. also for me the PC version will be alot better to get since it runs flawlessly (unless im on a really bad server) and since i know how to add custom vehicle models to the game ;)
 zerted
10-09-2005, 11:50 PM
^^are you talking about making a server? Check here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152834)
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-10-2005, 2:05 AM
When I got my computer fixed up...the person who fixed it deleted Beta for the computer...so I would have to download it again to play it...but I am not going to bother. Now that I have the PS2 demo for SWBF2 :blueblas1
 zerted
10-10-2005, 2:46 AM
When I got my computer fixed up...the person who fixed it deleted Beta for the computer...so I would have to download it again to play it...but I am not going to bother. Now that I have the PS2 demo for SWBF2 :blueblas1
Did you check the Wndows recycling bin? It could still be in there...
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-10-2005, 3:23 AM
Not there....
Page: 3 of 4