Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Beta test (no pay subscription required)

Page: 1 of 4
 Stryker412
09-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Now the bad news, it's for Fileplanet subs only:

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/battlefront2/swbf2_home.aspx)
 Darth Alec
09-17-2005, 2:59 AM
Noooo
I hate when I have to subscribe to something, and if it costs something......
 Alegis
09-17-2005, 3:28 AM
Aye. But it's for the better.
 Neon
09-17-2005, 3:31 AM
What does it take?

EDIT: Ah it's a payment for a beta test.
 Raxor
09-17-2005, 6:13 AM
just wait for it to come out and pay $50 for your beta :)
considering how so many games these days are released unfinished
 Darth Arrow
09-17-2005, 6:42 AM
What is this thread about? Its called the 'beta' is out.. is the beta like the demo or something??

If not what is it ?
 maxloef
09-17-2005, 6:48 AM
THOSE GODFORSAKEN **** ******* **** **** ******* *** *******
ARG I WANT IIIIIT!!!!!!!!!
 Darth Arrow
09-17-2005, 6:51 AM
What is it!?!
 Pho3nix
09-17-2005, 7:24 AM
meh, I hate Fileplanet.
 HordaK
09-17-2005, 7:58 AM
Darth Arrow to answer ur Question,

I Think they released the beta version of SWBF2 on Fileplanet

Its the FULL Game but in its Beta Stage, so i think its like the version we always see in the Videos, if that wasnt the Finished Version already
 Darth Arrow
09-17-2005, 8:11 AM
DO we have to pay to join this file planet to download this game?
 anders^on
09-17-2005, 8:22 AM
Yes, we do.
 HordaK
09-17-2005, 8:51 AM
Another Dirty way for LA to get the players Money as fast as possible... i think LA gets atleast 70% of the Subscribtions some players now will pay on fileplanet to get the BETA, i doubt it was a friendly beta tester that offered it to the community.... It seems that the BETA has the same price like the Final version in November will have.....

So i really hate it that LA acts in a far way like Microsoft....Money Money Money, don't care about the qualitiy of the product or the satisfaction of the consumer...

But atleast we have to face the reality, Money rules the world, not the human beeings.....thats just a dream from a galaxy far, far away
 Darth Arrow
09-17-2005, 8:57 AM
Lol nice way to end that :P
 anders^on
09-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, at least the final game might not be as buggy as Battlefront1 was.
That's the purpose of beta testing. Also, I don't think you have to pay
for playing the Beta if you're fileplanet sub, or do you have any sources
for that thesis?
 Stryker412
09-17-2005, 10:43 AM
No you don't have to pay to play the beta if your already a sub. However you have to be a subscriber to get the beta (hence we were saying you have to pay to play).
 ScoutTrooper95
09-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Oh man, that sucks! Oh well, two months until the full game anyway
 Nobodymrb
09-17-2005, 1:07 PM
I have the 6,95$-account from Fileplanet and the client. But I can't join any server. What do I have to do?
 Leviathan
09-17-2005, 1:47 PM
 master_skywalke
09-17-2005, 5:28 PM
The PC Beta from fileplanet has Utapau and Tantive IV maps. Only as the Republic VS Confederacy though. Confederacy has Griveous on both maps. Republic has Obi Wan on Utapau, and Yoda on Tantive IV.

On Utapau confederacy has Trade Federation Battle tanks, and the Republic has their AT-ST pre-cursor.

The gameplay is pretty much the same as BF1.

Rocket Whores everywhere(funny how I don't remember any rocket launchers in the movies, but whatever), and the speed is jacked up to an extreme. Reminds me of why I BF1 got old after 6 months.

There is no strategy to be found. It really is just running out into the hallway and trying to shoot as many things as you can, while at the same time jumping and strafing all over the place.

I think any comparisons of Battlefront to the Battlefield series are off. Battlefront is more like traditional Deathmatch from Unreal or Quake but with a few goals you are suppose to fight over.

And while the graphics are pretty good. The Background on Utapau is awful, it's way too pixelated and 2D.

This game would be awesome if it required some actual thought to play. They need to tone down the speed and actually let you realize what you are doing, rather then just shooting everything that moves.
Originaly posted on The Jedi Council Forums at theforce.net
 ScoutTrooper95
09-17-2005, 5:44 PM
Regardless, I still want to play it.
 McCusto
09-17-2005, 8:37 PM
Same, a person on Movie Battles II told me that it is awsome
 zerted
09-17-2005, 9:46 PM
Well, I was able to login from bugmenot, but none of the accounts accounts I tried had a supscription to download :ball:. Is it legal to share the beta after someone downloads it? After all, it is a free download and a beta.
 Darth Arrow
09-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Could someone then (who has got it through subscription) Put the file here on the forum for the rest of us to download?

Is that possible?
 McCusto
09-18-2005, 12:11 AM
No, it isn't possible. You need a special key to activate the Beta game.
 Darth Arrow
09-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Yeh dam..

COuldn't we use the special key that the person who puts it on here got? It would be the same wouldn't it.. same file..
 McCusto
09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
The special key is a one time use thing, meaning only 1 person can have the same key.
 Darth Arrow
09-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Oh ok, I see now, I just hope that another site puts it up for free..

Do u know what size the better is? in megabytes?
 McCusto
09-18-2005, 12:25 AM
I sure don't

And I doubt any other site will put it up for 2 reasons:

1) It is a closed Beta
2) It is a FilePlanet.com exclusive
 pengerman
09-18-2005, 1:54 AM
I have been playing BF2 for a while so I am used to insanely awesome graphics. This beta is not so spectacular. The graphics and gameplay so far are much like SWBF 1, which sucked.
 MachineCult
09-18-2005, 7:38 AM
How have you been playing it?
 DemonKing
09-18-2005, 7:48 AM
I have been playing BF2 for a while so I am used to insanely awesome graphics. This beta is not so spectacular. The graphics and gameplay so far are much like SWBF 1, which sucked.

If Lucasarts had half a brain they would simply adapt the BF2 engine to Star Wars environments, slap on the John Williams soundtrack and SW models and special effects, and they would sell a trillion copies. Even more if they also have a stats/promotion/unlockable weapons option.

Won't happen though because BF2 is too complicated to work on consoles, so instead we get a half-assed Battlfront sequel with controllable jedi...whoop de doo!
 MachineCult
09-18-2005, 8:25 AM
No no wait, how has he been playing Battlefront II "...for a while"???
When it hasn't come out.
 HordaK
09-18-2005, 8:55 AM
No no wait, how has he been playing Battlefront II "...for a while"???
When it hasn't come out.

u ever read the topic? so u may come to the conclusion that he has the beta from Filefront which hes playing for a while
 MachineCult
09-18-2005, 9:53 AM
Read the post i was talking about Hordak

He didn't say he has been playing the beta, he mentioned the beta separately, "...I am used to insanely awesome graphics. This beta is not so spectacular."

Maybe he was talking about Battlefield 2...
*stops talking*
 lukeiamyourdad
09-18-2005, 6:13 PM
Maybe he was talking about Battlefield 2...
*stops talking*

Noooo really? Why would he put SWBF1 then? Perhaps to avoid confusion!

This doesn't sound good at all. Just LA trying to make cash off some poor fellows who are going to buy another mindless run-and-gun team-based game. Yeah, those two don't go together.
 TK-8252
09-18-2005, 6:16 PM
If Lucasarts had half a brain they would simply adapt the BF2 engine to Star Wars environments, slap on the John Williams soundtrack and SW models and special effects, and they would sell a trillion copies. Even more if they also have a stats/promotion/unlockable weapons option.

Won't happen though because BF2 is too complicated to work on consoles, so instead we get a half-assed Battlfront sequel with controllable jedi...whoop de doo!

Yup. Totally agreed.

But then some people would complain "hey, this is just an expansion pack for BF2!" Well, SWBF2 is just an expansion pack for SWBF, so would you rather have: a crappy $50 expansion pack of another crappy $50 game, or an awesome $50 expansion pack of another awesome $50 game? I choose the latter.

If LA was smart they'd just make a Star Wars expansion pack for BF2, just take the BF2 engine and gameplay and make Star Wars characters, maps, weapons, vehicles, sounds, etc. and bingo... the perfect Star Wars game.

But hey, it's LA...
 lukeiamyourdad
09-18-2005, 6:18 PM
Well, they would only hit us PC gamers, who are in need of non-arcady games. Hell, it's not like the consoles don't have smart games, I guess it's just Lucasarts not being smart.
 Kurgan
09-18-2005, 7:15 PM
Actually they are smart, they're just also often greedy. They know they can make more money off of the console market than the PC gamer market...

And I hate to sound even more cynical, but if the console gamers' standards are lower, they can cater to that and save themselves even more trouble, leading to more profit!
 McCusto
09-18-2005, 8:40 PM
O..M..F..G... this game is AWSOME!
 McCusto
09-18-2005, 8:44 PM
u ever read the topic? so u may come to the conclusion that he has the beta from Filefront which hes playing for a while

One problem with that...The Beta came out on Friday or Saturday. . .Unless he calls 1-2 days "a while", he hasn't been playing for a while.
 pengerman
09-18-2005, 10:00 PM
How have you been playing it?

bf2 IS Battlefield 2, not Battlefront 2. The beta is the SWBF Beta, and it is very very similar to Battlefront 1. If they don't make some substantial changes I would not buy it in a million years. I agree with the poster who said that Lucasarts shouold use the Battlefield 2 engine, because the SWBF engine is horrid!
 lukeiamyourdad
09-18-2005, 10:15 PM
The BF2 engine would never work on consoles. Lucasarts aims at the consoles with SWBF 2. They know they sell more to the consoles. That's why we PC gamer have to endure a game, that's only half of what it could be.

Hopefully, the Galactic Conquest team can pull something off.
 pengerman
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
The Battlefield franchise is also coming out on consoles.
 lukeiamyourdad
09-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I know about Battlefield Modern Combat. I'm not sure how it'll turn out to be.

Nonethless, Modern Combat is like PC port to consoles. Usually, it doesn't turn out too badly.
The opposite is not true. A console port to PC is 90% of the time a failure.
 Darth Arrow
09-19-2005, 4:01 AM
Nah, Battlefield 2 is to be released on PS2 I saw it EB Games yesterday and asked about it, They said Battlefield series is expanding to consoles now... !!
 B.U.R.N_Large
09-19-2005, 7:46 AM
The beta is excellent. Rebels are not so underpowered as they are in the original. I was pleased to find even the rebels have a mortar guy now (the wookie).

Those that loved the original and are still playing battefront (like me) will love it.

The space level is terrible, I really don't see how they "asked the people that play it" when all clans steer well clear of any maps with vehicles / ships in it. Capture the flag really doesn't work as the boards are far to big for it to be playable.

Still, the core of the game is amazing as ever and all the things I like are in there plus some. I was inititally concerned to loose my beloved imp/cis pilots but when i found out the magna / officer and wookie in effect replaced them i was over the moon.

Rockets should have been given a big delay before firing to stop the noobs using them to kill infantry..but least it keeps the rocket guys happy i guess.
 HordaK
09-19-2005, 9:25 AM
Since the Beta is out and some of u got it, u may can tell us more about the jedi now, i read many threads that jedi's are unwanted and i understand that point, anyway it would be great if u could speak about the Jedi Balancing on the Battlefield, if they are really that UBER like many said or if they are just a balanced feature, even would be good to tell something about the other hero/s i know that Obi Wan is Playable and Jango, right? So even tell us something about the non Jedi Heros

many thx in advance
 lukeiamyourdad
09-19-2005, 9:40 AM
Nah, Battlefield 2 is to be released on PS2 I saw it EB Games yesterday and asked about it, They said Battlefield series is expanding to consoles now... !!

Nope, it's not the same game. If you look at the screenshots, it seems like a ugly version of BF2.
They also added another faction.

You could make a quick search on game sites instead of believing the crap retailers tell you.
 Nemios
09-20-2005, 6:44 AM
Anyone could say something about first person view for Jedis/Heroes and Starfighters/Vehicles? Is it still possible to play from that POV?
Page: 1 of 4