Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is EaW the new "SW: Rebellion"?

Page: 1 of 1
 anton_138
09-23-2005, 12:06 PM
A long time ago (like 10 years?) a nifty little game called Star Wars: Rebellion (i think "Conquest" or "Supremecy" in the UK?) was released. Anyone around who's played it? Okay, I'm sure there are plenty, but for those who haven't I'd suggest looking for it if you are excited about EaW. In fact, my brother and I were playing it recently and discussing what changes we'd make in an updated version, and EaW is a lot like what we had envisioned. In Rebellion you chose your side and battled, stole, and swindled across the galaxy for supremecy, spanning across 100 to 200 planets! You had to manage resources, in a rather limited way which is fine because it wasn't a civ-sim game, and you had not only the expected ground troops, spec-ops, and yes even fleets. The involvement in playing the game, from recruiting new officers like Talon Karrde or bounty hunters, to diplomatic missions to gain planetary control peacefully, to sending Han and Chewie on a sabotage mission or Darth Vader on an assassination mission, to even discovering Force potentials and training them with Luke or Vader, to using Ackbar or Bevelisk to research new ship designs, to, yes... building massive fleets and even Death Stars! Because of the age of Rebellion the graphics are very limited, but the involvement and intensity of the game were extraordinary for the time, and I have yet to play a game with the same level of control (which doesn't mean the games aren't out there, i just haven't played them). The only 3d graphics for Rebellion were the fleet battles, and nobody today would get excited about even that, but the game was great and I have always thought LEC should revive it somehow... and it looks like they may have done just that. The biggest addition my brother and I agreed upon was to give control over ground assaults, and I imagined something with a look and feel of ForceCommander (but with a resource system instead of "command points"). The ability to fight for control over up to 200 Star Wars worlds in such a variety of ways was a brilliant endeavor for LEC a decade ago, so my hope is that they carry a LOT of that over to Empire at War. What do you think?
 popcorn2008
09-23-2005, 4:13 PM
Yes Rebellion was a great game. Many people are saying that they (EaW and Rebellion) are gonna be similar. I believe that EaW will take the rebellion concept to the next level, actually allowing more control over land and space. Rebellion is super fun to play as soon as you learn it lol.
 Zehoan
09-23-2005, 4:22 PM
is this game in any stores anymore..or is there anyway to but it now?
 popcorn2008
09-23-2005, 4:25 PM
Umm try www.ebay.com), also they were selling at http://shop.starwars.com/) for a while but for like 30 dollars! It is out of stock currently. The game is really rare now a days to come by. But like I said go to eBay and you can find it usually around 15 dollars. It is a great game to get just as long as your willing to take a few hours to learn it. It is heavy into micromanagment.

EDIT: I did say you could find it on eBay not to much but i just looked and someone is selling for 75 dollars!!! Jeez! Just give it some time and someone will eventually sell a cheap copy on there. Theirs also two other ones on there around 20 dollars... you could try those.
 Jmaster3265
09-23-2005, 8:20 PM
No in a interview, they state that this game will be nothing like rebellion. Also, just in case some1 makes another thread like this towards SWGB, it won't be like that ethier!
 popcorn2008
09-23-2005, 9:06 PM
Jmaster did you read what anton said? All he said was that EaW was what he envisoned for an upgrade to Rebellion. And no matter what an "interview" may have said this game does have similarities to Rebellion. He is obviously a new member and didnt know that people have already speculated this topic. Lighten up a little.....
 anton_138
09-23-2005, 9:20 PM
hey, popcorn. i'm glad there are other Rebellion fans out there, and you're right... there is a LOT to learn in that game. i don't expect too many people to want a game quite as involved as Rebellion, but the idea of EaW seems to be the same as Rebellion but on a smaller scale (as far as planets/systems go). i guess all i really want to say is i hope it's more original than SWGB and more versatile than FoCom, and if it IS like Rebellion then i'll be all the happier.
 DarthMaulUK
09-24-2005, 4:11 AM
I used to be a master at Rebellion/Supremacy. Always in the top 10 on cases ladder! EaW wont have a learning curve like Rebellion did - one of the reasons why more people didnt play it or like it.

DMUK
 anton_138
09-25-2005, 5:56 AM
DMUK, Rebellion definitely had a lot to learn to play it at its full potential. to make it worse i'm one of those stubborn people who read the instructions only as a last resort, so it took me forever to realize what all i could actually do in the game. not a very user friendly interface and no tutorial to teach us impatient people. and i continued to learn more about the game over the years. i never even suspected that you could have "traitors" among your heroes/agents until i read it in the manual. afterwards, i became suspicious of everyone who wasn't above being a traitor. my brother was once convinced Niles Ferrier was a traitor (who also happened to be a (dark) Jedi Knight by the time he gave any signs), and it drove him crazy trying to confirm it with special missions and situations. that's one of many features i'd expect LEC not to bother with in EaW. the discovering and training of jedi is another feature that i could see getting lost. i must admit that while i liked having 8 Jedi Masters (including luke and leia) on my team, it was a bit out-of-sync with SW to have Talon Karrde or Jerjerrod become strong enough to out-Jedi the known Jedi such as Palpatine, Vader, or Luke. the way they played it out with luke discovering his heritage and relationship with leia and all that played out really well though, i thought. i'd think any die-hard SW fan, or anyone who values substance over glitz, would really enjoy Rebellion, but i guess when you have to read a hefty manual to play a game it stops becoming fun and simply becomes work, huh?
 DarthMaulUK
09-25-2005, 6:39 AM
If you ever fancy a game, send me a message ;)

DMUK
 Jmaster3265
09-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Jmaster did you read what anton said? All he said was that EaW was what he envisoned for an upgrade to Rebellion. And no matter what an "interview" may have said this game does have similarities to Rebellion. He is obviously a new member and didnt know that people have already speculated this topic. Lighten up a little.....

That makes no sense? I know hes a new member notice i said JUST INCASE SOME1 makes this topic!!!
 anton_138
09-25-2005, 1:40 PM
well, JMaster, if you'd ever played Rebellion the similarities would be obvious and whatever may, or may not, have been said in an interview by whomever doesn't change these facts about both Rebellion and EaW... you control one of the 2 main factions (Reb/Imp) in order to take over not just a map or world but the entire galaxy through use of fleet battles, ground support, and main "hero" characters. you research technology in order to get new ships, weapons, etc. the more planets you get under your control, the more resources you acquire and the more troops and ships you can add to your side... including, if you have enough resources, a Death Star. the Death Star can be used to destroy capital ships in battle or entire planets, but the DS can also be destroyed by starfighter attack or special sabotage missions.

does that seem to fit what they are saying/showing in regards to EaW, JMaster? on the other hand, SWGB is nothing like this, except for the fact that you can research stuff and you can build a few ships. but as the dev's said, where SWGB covered single isolated battles with no real connection between them, EaW allows actual strategy and tactics on a galactic scale. so while it would be difficult to convince anyone that EaW is another SWGB, it should be equally difficult to convince anyone that EaW is "nothing" like Rebellion... well, at least anyone who's ever played Rebellion. there are differences, though. EaW, as stated/implied by the dev's, gives you resources based simply on the planets under your control (i believe his words were along the lines of "you won't see droids picking berries or chopping wood"), whereas in Rebellion you had to use mines and refineries on your planets in order to get enough resources (refined materials & maintenance points). also, sadly enough, in Rebellion you had no control over ground assaults other than sticking troops on a planet, which is why i'd always wanted an updated version.
 Jmaster3265
09-25-2005, 2:36 PM
All i am saying is what i have heard in an develepor interview from lucas arts etc. So are you saying there lieing, if this is similar and like Rebellion?
 Jan Gaarni
09-25-2005, 2:49 PM
No, they're not lieing, from a certain point of view.
And he's not saying they are lieing.

This game is different from Rebellion in many ways. Just look at the screenshots and you can see that clearly.
But, it does have similarities towards Rebellion, even though it is not ment to be a sequal.

EaW has many of the same elements that was used in Rebellion.
 Jmaster3265
09-25-2005, 3:31 PM
Oh ok, well yeah i knew that lol. I know it has some silimarlites to rebellion.
 popcorn2008
09-25-2005, 3:33 PM
Oh ok, well yeah i knew that lol. I know it has some silimarlites to rebellion.
Yeah thats all i meant. I didnt mean it was rebellion. Becuase it certainly isnt. All I really meant is it has a few stricking similarities. But then again, Rebellion is one of the only Star Wars games to compare EaW to, except for Galatic Battlegrounds or dare i say it Force commander.
 Jan Gaarni
09-25-2005, 5:09 PM
Force Commander I guess could be a good comparison to the ground battle side of the game actually. :)

Much better example than Galactic Battlegrounds.
 anton_138
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
very true, Jan. when i first saw the screenshots and vids i thought the appearance of the ground battles looked like an updated FoCom. my favorite visual aspect of FoCom has always been the camera controls and views. i always got a thrill from putting the camera about head-high in a group of troops and watching the enemy emerge over a hill. so much more captivating than the standard bird's-eye view of most rts games. and i noticed in one of the vids a shuttle delivered Vader to the surface, much like troop delivery in FoCom. i would've personally liked FoCom a lot better if there were better ways to earn command points than just fighting for bunkers, but there may be a lot about playing FoCom MP that i never picked up, since i never played it MP... only SP and skirmishes. i much prefered the SP.

and this may upset some SW gamers, but i found the EaW space battle sequences reminding me of a cross between the old Rebellion holocube battle display and the Star Trek Armada games (which i think are great), with of course the awesome ability to target specific points on capital ships (and i assume stations?) like you can do in all the SW flight-sims.

to me, it just looks like they're trying to take the idea of Rebellion and implement it using all the most popular and pleasing aspects of more successful games. if the dev's claimed EaW is "nothing" like Rebellion, it may have been to keep people from prejudging it before its release, because appearantly Rebellion was too tedious and boring for people? so if you take Rebellion, remove everything people didn't like, and replace it with the newer features and aspects that gamers do like, then i'd imagine it being something like EaW.
 Slave.
10-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Sorry for reviving an old post, but I was wondering if Rebellion is worth getting? Considering EaW is coming out in like 3 months, it may not be worth paying the $50 people are asking for it on eBay. But if I can pick up a copy say in a second hand store would it be worth getting?
 Teradyn
10-28-2005, 5:21 PM
For less than $20, yes. Otherwise, it would not be worth it given the time that a single game of Rebellion takes. It is also somewhat unstable on XP that I know of (crashing to desktop at the beginning of a 3d battle), but other systems I am not sure about.
 Palpatine_dc
10-29-2005, 3:09 PM
I've had Rebellion for 7 years now and I still occasionally play it. It's graphics are hugely outdated of course, but the gameplay ands music (original John Williams movie score outtakes) still stand. I think it still is the best strategic game in SW universe, but I wouldn't give more than $15 for it, after all its old tech. And I agree what I have heard so far about EaW is that it has some interesting features not unlike Rebellion.

...It is also somewhat unstable on XP that I know of (crashing to desktop at the beginning of a 3d battle), but other systems I am not sure about.
You can run the game in compatebility mode for win 98. Sure, it's not perfect but it never crashed on my pc.
 swphreak
10-29-2005, 5:23 PM
You can buy Rebellion here (http://store.lucasarts.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=3616;category_id=467;pcid1=) ;pcid2=).

And EaW does remind me a bit of Rebellion. It also reminds me of Force Commander in some of the videos I've seen.

Edit: And yes, run the game in win98 mode if you're using XP. It's worked perfectly for me so far.
Page: 1 of 1