Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

when will it stop

Page: 1 of 1
 rhinomatt
08-13-2005, 4:42 PM
if they make kotor3 when do you think they will stop the saga at?

kotor4, 5 or even 6 or more?

personaly i hope it never stops!
 Mira Dona
08-13-2005, 4:46 PM
personaly i hope it never stops!

They must never stop. Ever.

But realisticly, they'll stop when it fails to bring in enough money.
 Snafu7
08-13-2005, 4:49 PM
I'm happy as long as it doesn't stop now.
 Hallucination
08-13-2005, 4:52 PM
I say they finsh off the third one then stop so it doesn't start to suck.
 Darth Moeller
08-13-2005, 4:54 PM
I say they finsh off the third one then stop so it doesn't start to suck.
I don't think it would suck after the third one, theres so much story potential in this saga.

But I still think they will stop after 3.
 IndianaSolo
08-13-2005, 5:55 PM
I don't think it would suck after the third one, theres so much story potential in this saga.

But I still think they will stop after 3.

I think "KOTOR" will stop after the third one.

But I think (or hope) they'll make more SW RPG. But it might be under a different title than KOTOR.
 Jamps
08-13-2005, 6:18 PM
After the third one, they should make prequals. About the Mandalorian wars, just like how the clone wars were.
 Darth Moeller
08-13-2005, 6:20 PM
After the third one, they should make prequals. About the Mandalorian wars, just like how the clone wars were.
This, I think, wouldn't work because everything before KotOR is already written. The cool part about KotOR is that you get to choose how the story goes, and if there were prequals, you wouldn't be able to do that.
 Commas
08-13-2005, 6:47 PM
i think this particular kotor story needs to end after three. i hope there are more kotor games, because they are very fun to play, but i want the story that started In K1 and was continued in K2, the story of Revan and the Exile, to end at K3. If they try to draw this story out any longer than that it will be too long. Besides, star wars comes in sets of three.
 Smilodon
08-13-2005, 7:07 PM
They have to do at least one part to finish the storyline about Revan, the Exile and the true Sith, though I hope the devs will create more :)
 dale03ster
08-13-2005, 7:28 PM
I like the Kotor series, but it will be time to stop after Kotor 3.
I'd like to have another game like kotor but with a new story, possibly halfway between kotor and the star wars movies...

Featuring a reformed republic under attack, who knows, only time will tell...
 JoshVoidstalker
08-13-2005, 7:55 PM
yes, after the end of the current KOTOR trilogy, it will be time for a new one. How about KOTNR: Knights of the New Republic?
 Snafu7
08-13-2005, 8:00 PM
yes, after the end of the current KOTOR trilogy, it will be time for a new one. How about KOTNR: Knights of the New Republic?

Honestly I wouldn't mind something like that happening after they finish off the KotOR series, good idea.
 IndianaSolo
08-13-2005, 8:21 PM

See my non-Force user PC thread.

That's what I'd like to see after the KOTOR series is finished.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-13-2005, 8:24 PM

If there's a single Yuuzhan Vong, it'll suck.
 Bastila
08-14-2005, 7:03 AM
I think they will stop after 3 even tho i could gone on, but maby change the time in what its set in.
 darth_relish
08-14-2005, 7:33 AM
i recon they should make 2 more one invloving revans future and the other the exile or make it so that the 2 are like somewhat conected except u can play as both
 Jennaida
08-14-2005, 2:53 PM

Certainly what I want to see. And for the one who commented about the YV, well, there's plenty of stuff a KotNR could do, without ever having to see a single one of them. :)
 IndianaSolo
08-14-2005, 3:45 PM
About the KoTNR idea:

If they do decide to make games in that era, I hope that they'll place it atleast 100 or more years after the NJO books. That way we won't be running in to Luke Skywalker and his family, and we won't have to worry about continuity issues. Also, it allows the story writer complete freedom to craft his own story. That's always been the beauty behind the KOTOR series. It's far enough before the movies that the writers could come up with almost anything they wanted to without worrying "how does this fit with what we saw in the movies".
 lukeiamyourdad
08-14-2005, 5:47 PM
Maybe 500 years. 100 years is pretty short.
 IndianaSolo
08-14-2005, 8:11 PM
Maybe 500 years. 100 years is pretty short.

That's why I said atleast. :P

I was actually thinking similar to KOTOR, something like 3000 or 4000 years ahead.
 rhinomatt
08-15-2005, 5:19 AM
i want there to be at lest 6 kotor before though!
 Soogz
08-15-2005, 2:13 PM
I'm happy as long as it doesn't stop now.

agreed.
 Prime
08-15-2005, 2:26 PM
About the KoTNR idea:

If they do decide to make games in that era, I hope that they'll place it atleast 100 or more years after the NJO books. That way we won't be running in to Luke Skywalker and his family, and we won't have to worry about continuity issues. Also, it allows the story writer complete freedom to craft his own story. That's always been the beauty behind the KOTOR series. It's far enough before the movies that the writers could come up with almost anything they wanted to without worrying "how does this fit with what we saw in the movies".The only problem with that is that there is no continuity at all in place for that timeframe, which is something that would be hard to flesh out as far and Lucasarts is concerned. Then all the books, etc. that cover that era in the future would have to tie into it, and I'm not sure they want to have to make those decisions right now. The nice thing about the KOTOR era is that there was already established lore for that time period to build on, but not enough to limit the game story choices too much.

Plus, having lots of Sith in the NR era (or 100+ years thereafter) is impossible since they have been destroyed. So who would the bad guys be? The Empire is gone by then. One big reason why KOTOR works is that everything is familiar and has links to the films. A 100 year later game wouldn't have that as much...

I think that the reasons why thousands of years before the Empire is the best timeframe are still true, especially if the Jedi are going to be the focal point (which is what the majority wants). Not to say that I would be against RPGs in other eras, but they would be limited story-wise. I think the second best option would be the Imperial era, and have non-Jedi characters. That would never happen though...
 Sabretooth
08-17-2005, 3:05 AM
I personally think there should be three and any more games should carry a different name. Something shoter than kotor, though. The Clone Wars, the First Sith War and the Mandalorian War have a lot of potential. Hey, we can learn more about Jolee and his gal!
 Sivy
08-17-2005, 5:08 AM
i think 3 will be the last kotOR, but it wont be the last star wars RPG.
 Aleggy
08-17-2005, 7:39 AM
ok i think that it'll either end with 3 as sw seems to like trilogies or it'll be 6 so that it'll be a saga like the films

the idea of doing prequals set in the mandalorian wars is a good idea but not as a kotor game, something similar to battlefrontbut not an rpg like the kotor games
 Prime
08-17-2005, 7:46 AM
i think 3 will be the last kotOR, but it wont be the last star wars RPG.I think that is the most likely scenario...
 IndianaSolo
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
The only problem with that is that there is no continuity at all in place for that timeframe, which is something that would be hard to flesh out as far and Lucasarts is concerned. Then all the books, etc. that cover that era in the future would have to tie into it, and I'm not sure they want to have to make those decisions right now. The nice thing about the KOTOR era is that there was already established lore for that time period to build on, but not enough to limit the game story choices too much.

Plus, having lots of Sith in the NR era (or 100+ years thereafter) is impossible since they have been destroyed. So who would the bad guys be? The Empire is gone by then. One big reason why KOTOR works is that everything is familiar and has links to the films. A 100 year later game wouldn't have that as much...

I think that the reasons why thousands of years before the Empire is the best timeframe are still true, especially if the Jedi are going to be the focal point (which is what the majority wants). Not to say that I would be against RPGs in other eras, but they would be limited story-wise. I think the second best option would be the Imperial era, and have non-Jedi characters. That would never happen though...

True. Although you could argue that gives the developers even more freedom for creating their own antagonist. They could come up with something that we don't even know about that spawned from the Unknown Regions and there wouldn't be any continuity-lawyers claiming they messed up.

Also, keep in mind although I said 100 years, I actually ammended that to similar to KOTOR's 4000 years, except in the future. With that in mind, I can't see books being made that far into the future. As it is, the current book timeline has us at 35 years after A New Hope. And these books have been going strong for over a decade now. So it's going to take an AWFUL long time until they reach 4000 years after ANH and have to worry about messing with continuity.
 starmark2k
08-17-2005, 1:14 PM
I think they will make KotOR a trilogy but they will make some other SW RPG, It way be New Republic or it may be based during the events of the prequals or before.
 Aleggy
08-17-2005, 4:53 PM
no doubt some other company will try to make a sw rpg and no doubt there maybe similarities to kotor but can you honestly say that they will compare in plot and the depth obsidian and bioware are able to put into there games dont get me wrong i will try them but i highly doubt they will be the same standard as kotor and no doubt they will get compared lol
 IndianaSolo
08-17-2005, 5:03 PM
no doubt some other company will try to make a sw rpg and no doubt there maybe similarities to kotor but can you honestly say that they will compare in plot and the depth obsidian and bioware are able to put into there games dont get me wrong i will try them but i highly doubt they will be the same standard as kotor and no doubt they will get compared lol

What do you mean by your first sentence? Because Lucasarts owns the rights to anything Star Wars, so it's not like someone else can just make a SW RPG without approval from LA.
 Prince
08-17-2005, 9:20 PM
^^^

I think he's talking about games that are simmilar to KOTOR. For Example: Jade Empire, Fable, etc, etc.
 GoneFishing
08-17-2005, 9:22 PM
im sorry, i just stopped by b/c i saw the updated forum email. did i miss something?? Kotor 3?? huh ? when was this? is it done, when will it come out? who is the main character? ... man, all of sudden so many question.. my head hurts...
 Darth Moeller
08-17-2005, 9:24 PM
im sorry, i just stopped by b/c i saw the updated forum email. did i miss something?? Kotor 3?? huh ? when was this? is it done, when will it come out? who is the main character? ... man, all of sudden so many question.. my head hurts...
This forum is all just for speculation on what we can expect in the next KotOR game. Assuming there is one, of course.
 lightexile
08-18-2005, 9:32 AM
But even if Kotor itself stops, I do not want the Star Wars Role Playing Genre itself to stop. These Star Wars RPGs have been better then any SW shooter/startegy game if you ask me. So even if Kotor does stop, whos to say the RP genre in SW itself should die with it? What about New Republic era RPGs? Or follow the Original Trilogy? Who knows.
 Ztalker
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I think they will throw it on another story. Remember, Obi-Wan was aknight of the old republic too, and that's 4000 years later. maybe a story ending with the actions that lead to the events in episode 1. Like your last mission is protecting the just-chosen Queen Amidale orso.
Also, a knights of the new republic is possible. Like the Rise of the Sith mod.
A Jedi academy-like story, but with the Kotor engine.
Those are the logic steps, followed by many producers.
Need for speed became Underground, Battlefield 1924 became Vietnam, etc.
 Aleggy
08-18-2005, 6:04 PM
What do you mean by your first sentence? Because Lucasarts owns the rights to anything Star Wars, so it's not like someone else can just make a SW RPG without approval from LA.

you are right that LA do own the rights to all star wars games but that doesnt stop them letting people producing crap star wars games

there was the game of episode one followed by jedi power battles and they got compared to each other

and all i'm saying is that if LA allow any company to do another star wars rpg it will be be compared to kotor

sorry about the confusion
 Larke
08-18-2005, 7:17 PM
What about the first Jedi Cival war, where the True sith were created...

Just throwing an idea out, that would have to be "Knights of the really really old Republic" or "KOTRROR"
 Soogz
08-18-2005, 8:03 PM
Actually that would be good maybe like a prequel to K1.
 IndianaSolo
08-18-2005, 9:33 PM
Actually that would be good maybe like a prequel to K1.

I wouldn't like that idea. You'd know how events turned out right after your game.

Atleast with the KOTOR series you don't. There's 4000 years before the events of the movies. If you did a prequel to KOTOR then you'd basically be playing a game with a known outcome (ie. regardless of what you do in the game, Revan and Malak find the Star Forge, Mandalorians lose, etc.).
 Larke
08-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I was refering to when the Jedi order first split and the sith began (several hundred years before Revan and Malak) obviously the sith lose. But you can have alot of fun adventures, and according to the old bat (Kriea) that the sith lords took over worlds on the outer rim. So maybe you can spend some time slicing local politicans to convince them that your prime Over ruler material!
 Losh
08-21-2005, 8:20 PM
I wouldn't like that idea. You'd know how events turned out right after your game.

Atleast with the KOTOR series you don't. There's 4000 years before the events of the movies. If you did a prequel to KOTOR then you'd basically be playing a game with a known outcome (ie. regardless of what you do in the game, Revan and Malak find the Star Forge, Mandalorians lose, etc.).

Well, 4000 years from KOTOR, the events from the movies happen, so you're playing a game with a known outcome anyway. :)

As long as the storyline is a lot (a couple of hundred years) before or after, and not connected to the KOTOR storyline, I think it should be fine.

As to placing a game in the timeline after the movies...Well, firstly you have a lot of Sith tombs lying around the universe, and one of them could hold a Sith holocron or a spirit of a long deceased Sith Lord (not so rare occurence in the star wars universe). It could be just lying there for a force-sensitive being (or even better, a potentially corruptible Jedi) to find it, and voila, few hundred years later, we get the new Sith...And if that sounds bad, you could still have some other users of the Dark Side...Dark Side witches, Fallen Jedi, whatever. :)

But personally, I'm still for putting a game in the times when the Jedi order first split, as Larke said. You can have fun kicking the butt of fallen jedi or losing the war and going to the worlds beyond the outer rim to enslave the Massasi and lay foundations for the Sith Empire.

As long as the story is good I don't think the timeline will be much of a problem.
 Lightsider
08-21-2005, 8:44 PM
Think about it like this, the republic has lasted for thousands of years, i think that after the third one they will go back in time to the eras of tulac hord and the other great sith lords. The first major split within the Jedi order would be really cool, since they dont really say anything about hero's from that time period, it would make for some interesting Gameplay.
Page: 1 of 1