Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Portal problems

Page: 1 of 1
 riceplant
07-16-2005, 6:44 AM
Okay, first off, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post, but I'm not 100% certain.

Anyway, now that's over with, my problem: I downloaded GTK Thursday, and everything has been fine so far. However, I recently tried to use a mirror, and it didn't work. Neither do the camera portals (hence the subject). I have been learning from Bubba's Quake 3 tutorial, and have managed to figure out most of the differences in JA. However I cannot figure what is wrong with my portals.
 madjawa
07-16-2005, 5:14 PM
you should use the texture system/portal512 and put a misc_camera_surface on the brush like that :
_
| |<----- system/portal512 texture
| |__
| | |<---- misc_portal_surface
| |__|
| |
|_|
^
|
your
brush

madjawa
 riceplant
07-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Nope, still not working properly.
http://www.geocities.com/riceplnt/images/shot0014.jpg)
When I get really (and I mean really) close, it works. But from any sort of distance, nothing. However, there is no misc_camera_surface. There's a misc_portal_surface, and a misc_portal_camera. I've tried it with both, and neither works.
 riceplant
07-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I just tried it in developer mode, and when (In 3rd person mode) I move the camera round inside the brush (So I'm facing sideways), I get a recursive mirror/portal error. Is this helpful to anyone trying to help me? I would post a recording, but I don't know how.
 wedge2211
07-20-2005, 4:26 PM
That's called "HOM," short for "hall of mirrors." Is your mirror brush touching the void? I'm not sure, but it may be necessary for mirror brushes to be detail brushes inside a structural hull.

Use misc_portal_surface for mirrors, misc_portal_camera for, well, cameras.
 riceplant
07-21-2005, 1:55 AM
I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear enough before. I don't get HOM, but in developer mode the console says I have a recursive mirror/portal error. The mirror/camera works, but only if I'm actually touching it, and am in first person mode. No, making it detail didn't help, and no, it's not touching the void. I've uploaded a simple map (Click (http://www.geocities.com/riceplnt/files/maps.zip)) to show how I'm making mirrors. If anyone could find the time to take a look at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be very grateful. Or send me a sample map with a working mirror. Or even a step-by-step guide on how to make mirrors. I hope I'm not asking too much.

EDIT: I thought that you needed both a portal_surface and a portal_camera for a camera. The surface is to set up the portal, and the camera is linked to set the location of the camera.
 SMoKE
07-21-2005, 7:37 AM
Here (http://smokedesigns.thejefffiles.com/forum/files/camera.zip) is a test-map I made. The camera-stuff is working, but if you are going to edit it, I recommend not to edit too much of the entities, like where they're placed and angles and so on as it might get something screwed up...

Once again: Happy birthday!
 SMoKE
07-21-2005, 7:50 AM
Woha... I just tried the map in SP, and there everything's screwed up.. So are you mapping for SP or MP?
 wedge2211
07-21-2005, 8:00 AM
Hmm...you don't have two portal surfaces in the same room facing each other, do you? Sounds like that's what the error's getting at.
 SMoKE
07-21-2005, 8:03 AM
well, MY map includes two rooms, one room with the portal-surface, and the other with the portal surface's target, and a kyle which just stands there... No I do not have two portal surfaces facing each other as that will cause a HOM :naughty:
 riceplant
07-21-2005, 2:40 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your map to me, SMoKE. Sure, you didn't set the camera's roll, but that's unimportant. The important thing is I now know what the problem is. I didn't have a caulk brush behind my portal. I don't know why, but the caulk brush was not mentioned in Bubba's tutorial. I guess this means you didn't need one for Q3. Now I just need to figure out why it's doing this (Click (http://www.geocities.com/riceplnt/images/shot0020.jpg)).
 SMoKE
07-21-2005, 3:40 PM
The reason why I put a caulk-brush behind, is that if I hadn't, the map would be leaked...

And as for the image... It's a bit difficult to see what the problem is...
 riceplant
07-21-2005, 5:58 PM
All I know is that if I replace the caulk brush with a regular textured brush, it stops working. What is caulk, anyway? Oh, and I fixed the screenshot. The problem is, as you can perhaps see at the right, I can see through my mirror into another room. Would an antiportal work for this? I'm not sure what they're for, but they seem to act like the void. This is happening everywhere else, too. I am seeing straight through a wall into another space.
 SMoKE
07-22-2005, 6:17 AM
Did you notice in the map I submitted... The misc_portal_camera is placed a bit out of the wall... There is 24 units between the wall and the misc_portal_camera, and 24 units between the ceiling and the misc_portal_camera.
I guess that if you just place your misc_portal_camera with a bit distance between the wall and the ceiling, it'll work fine :)
 riceplant
07-22-2005, 6:55 AM
I wish it were that simple. Actually, the room behind the portal is visible, and it gets worse the more I put behind it. It works normally as long as there is nothing but void behind the portal, but as soon as I place a room there, I can see into it rather than through the camera. As you can imagine, this is less than ideal. I just wish I could figure out what's going on.
 yangyan
07-27-2005, 3:47 AM
may I suggest putting

depthWrite

into it (shader)? Example:

textures/name/camera
{
qer_editorimage textures/system/qer_portal.tga
surfaceparm playerclip
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
portal
{
map gfx/colors/black
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
depthWrite
alphaGen portal 16384
}
}
 riceplant
07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
OK, the new shader thing works fine for cameras, but I'm getting HOM when I try it on mirrors with anything behind them.
 yangyan
07-28-2005, 3:33 AM
so you make a mirror, i.e. portal with misc_portal_surface only? and you walk behind it and get hom? Doesnt happen to me. sample map please?
Page: 1 of 1