Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

High Level Force Powers V2.1 released

Page: 3 of 3
 stoffe
02-17-2007, 8:44 AM
this power needs to be more resist-able... it really seems over powered at lower levels.

None of the powers in this mod are really "spam-friendly" since that's not how I usually play. Some restraint and self-moderation may be needed when using them. :) I was initially planning to add a "recharge" period between being able to use the same power, but with the limited scripting capabilities of the TSL game engine that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

Don't know what else could be done to weaken the power and still keep it useful. It's currently totally blocked by Force Resistance (it does nothing if resisted), and it allows the victim a Reflex save to avoid being knocked down for a few seconds.

In my opinion non-force users shouldn't be that good at resisting force powers (you don't see any clones or battledroids resisting being force pushed in the movies). As for other force users, that's mostly an AI problem that they don't use the Force Resistance or Force Immunity powers as much as they should.

I suppose I could make my own resist system where it compares the level of the caster vs. the level of the victim, and checks if the victim is a force user, and applies a chance for the powers to be resisted depending on that. But since that would make the HL powers work completely different from the standard force powers in the game that might be overly confusing.

Also there is no associated agro generated if you pull someone out of a crowd.

Hmm, this appears to be a bug. Seems like I forgot to signal that an offensive power has been cast on them to the victim. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that if I get around to releasing another version. :)

To fix it for now you can download the file attached to this post below, and unzip the content into your override folder.

i am concerned that this mod has issues if you enter the enclave. (yes, i did have another moders mod installed... but...) the issues i am starting to see are concerning and seem to point at HLFP and not the Veridan mod.

I don't see how it could, this mod does not affect anything in the standard game modules, or change any aspect of the standard game. I've played through the game 4 times with this mod installed and have never encountered any crash problems. The only thing related to this module that might get loaded during an area transition is any of your party members that have learned some of the new powers, and if that was somehow corrupted it would crash any time you transition to a new area, not just one particular area.

It's possible there may be conflicts between this mod and the Veridian mod, I don't know what that might be though since I don't have that mod. I've tried to make the High Level FP mod as compatible with other mods as I can, but ensuring 100% compatibility with everything made by others before and after release is not possible.

Did you install this other mod before or after you installed the High Level FP mod? Do both mods make changes to any of the same 2DA files (spells.2da, effecticon.2da, forceshields.2da, poison.2da, visualeffects.2da)? Did you get any warnings or errors during installation?
 StFrodric
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm using this mod for the first time and its amazing. I'm using it in conjunction with Final Touch and the USM though so my Sith Assassin has reached level 28 and has Force Powers out the wazzo. I've completed all planets and am now doing second half Dxun as the last Master fight. I agree that you have to restrain yourself in using some of these as stacking them is a total I win button. Force Sleep+ Grip+ Incinerate + Hurricane is pretty much enough to pulp everyone. I suspect Kavar will get toasted really fast.
 Wildboar
02-19-2007, 1:08 AM
Hmm, this appears to be a bug. Seems like I forgot to signal that an offensive power has been cast on them to the victim. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix that if I get around to releasing another version. :)

To fix it for now you can download the file attached to this post below, and unzip the content into your override folder.

thanks will try this out and let you know :)

also, i have seen occasionally that it gets in.... a loop(?) and starts spamming pull if you don't do anything after casting it... i am leaning to that it has something to do with the exile not being able to get to the target cause there are too many npc in the way... eg: duxn, sith stealthers attacking mandalores camp. if i can figure out the pattern i will note further.

Did you install this other mod before or after you installed the High Level FP mod? Do both mods make changes to any of the same 2DA files (spells.2da, effecticon.2da, forceshields.2da, poison.2da, visualeffects.2da)? Did you get any warnings or errors during installation?

the install order i did was: Veridian, CSArena, HLFP2, HLFP2.1, Improved Combat AI

btw, i have don't a total reinstall (game, game update, override) and this seems to be ok now from saves prior to crash. ::shrugs::
 veridianblade
07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey man,
I'm using the story enhancement mod.
Will this cause any incompatibilties if I install this as well?
 stoffe
07-14-2007, 8:06 AM
Hey man,
I'm using the story enhancement mod.
Will this cause any incompatibilties if I install this as well?

No idea, since I don't know what the story enhancement mod is. :)

This mod should be fairly stand alone though since it doesn't mess with many of the standard game files, and the ones it does modify the installer should apply the needed changes to and not overwrite the existing files.
 TheRealDem
07-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Stoffe could you make an update so the powers show up in KSE since Im a cheating noob?
 Joris1
08-08-2007, 2:48 PM
Hey there,

I'm totally confused. Everytime when I wanted to install High Level Forcepowers, it worked fine. But after I reinstalled KotOR II it won't work. While the installing process an error window opens with the message: Cannot create file D:\Star Wars\SWKotOR2\dialog.tkl It opens while the installer tries to append strings to the TKL file.
I've checked all: TKL file exists...

Whats wrong there?

Greetings

Joris
 stoffe
08-08-2007, 2:51 PM
While the installing process an error window opens with the message: Cannot create file D:\Star Wars\SWKotOR2\dialog.tkl It opens while the installer tries to append strings to the TKL file.

Check that the dialog.tlk file (found in your KOTOR2 game folder) is not write protected in Windows (right-click the icon --> Properties). Also, if you are using an account on your computer with reduced privileges make sure you have access to modify files in the KOTOR2 game folder.
 Joris1
08-08-2007, 3:01 PM
The dialog.tlk file is not protected, so is the KotOR2 Game folder now. my account on Windows is the adminstrator account, so this should be no problem and it still won't work. :(

EDIT: I think I have found a solution. On my Brothers' PC there is KotOR II too and I have installed this mod there. Afterwards I copied all files including the .tlk file and droped it in the corresponding folders. This should work, I hope. If someone has another idea what's wrong with my PC, he or a she will be welcome.

EDIT II: Yes, it works fine... Thanks for the help. :)
 Jasper_Kazai
11-19-2007, 3:41 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to edit this mod to lower the level requirement? I loved these powers on my first playthrough and I'm being greedy and want these powers earlier. :emodanc:
 stoffe
11-20-2007, 7:20 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to edit this mod to lower the level requirement? I loved these powers on my first playthrough and I'm being greedy and want these powers earlier. :emodanc:

You can change the level requirements by editing the lines of the powers in the spells.2da file (with a 2DA editor). The label of the new lines start with ST_, and you have a column for each class that sets at which level the power becomes available.

Be aware though that some of the powers scale their damage or other effects with the character level of the force user and may not work too well if used with, say, a level 1 character. :)
 Jasper_Kazai
11-21-2007, 6:41 AM
You can change the level requirements by editing the lines of the powers in the spells.2da file (with a 2DA editor). The label of the new lines start with ST_, and you have a column for each class that sets at which level the power becomes available.

Be aware though that some of the powers scale their damage or other effects with the character level of the force user and may not work too well if used with, say, a level 1 character. :)Ok, thanks. I had trouble finding a 2da editor in the first place, but I got it all ok. Now I just need to update the descriptions... Maybe...
 stoffe
11-21-2007, 8:32 AM
Ok, thanks. I had trouble finding a 2da editor in the first place, but I got it all ok. Now I just need to update the descriptions... Maybe...

The descriptions of the force powers have been added to your game's dialog.tlk file, you can edit them with a TLK editor. You can find the StrRef indexes of the entries to edit in the spelldesc column in the spells.2da file.
 Grail Quest
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I've tried this mod, and have mixed feelings. I would advise anyone using it to BE CAREFUL. It can both enhance and ruin your gameplay experience.

On the one hand, some powers are nice, and mesh well with the existing ones. Chain Lightning, for example, can be seen as an extension of having both Force Storm and Force Wave (and why doesn't it have these powers as prerequisites? When, say, Atton becomes a Jedi, he might be of a high enough level that he can immediately choose Chain Lightning and forgo Force Storm).
On the other hand, the non-resistable effects can be overpowering if you spam them. And a consular can easily spam them. Your companions, however, not having had a lifetime of Jedi experience, won't have enough FP to do so.
That said, however, has anyone looked closely at the combat log? I'm playing on Difficult with Achilles' Game Balance Mod, and it is statistically impossible for Sith Assassins to fail their saves against your Force Powers. Further, even regular grunts have astonishing saves and can pump out 50 to 100+ damage *before* critical hits. When your level is high enough, you will see this too, even without the Game Balance Mod.

I will at least edit the prerequisites, but I might forgo using them against bosses. Not sure yet. Depends on how impossible they turn out to be with the Game Balance Mod.
 Jasper_Kazai
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Can party members even use these powers? I gave some to Atton when he became a Jedi and I could never use them. It just said 'Force Depleted'.
 Grail Quest
12-01-2007, 3:20 PM
Can party members even use these powers? I gave some to Atton when he became a Jedi and I could never use them. It just said 'Force Depleted'.

Your FPs are based on your Jedi level. The level requirements of most Jedi Powers are based on your total level. So, a Scoundrel 20/Sentinel 1 Atton can get 21st level powers, but only has 1st-level Jedi Force Points.
Likely, what happened is that Atton doesn't yet have enough FP to use the power.
 encinodude
05-10-2008, 5:11 AM
Unbalanced or not, this is undoubtedly one of the best, bestest mods out there. But I'm sure you've heard enough of that already.

I've got a couple of questions.

(1) In the readme it states something to the effect that it would be best not to install any other mod that adds Force powers after this mod is installed. I'm thinking of installing this Instant Kill Force Crush mod and I've had the HLFP mod installed right from the beginning. Would this be a bad idea?

(2) Force Grip does no damage at all and just holds the victim throat clutched and all in place? Is that all it does, or is it just me?
 stoffe
05-10-2008, 7:05 AM
(1) In the readme it states something to the effect that it would be best not to install any other mod that adds Force powers after this mod is installed. I'm thinking of installing this Instant Kill Force Crush mod and I've had the HLFP mod installed right from the beginning. Would this be a bad idea?

It depends a bit on how the other force power mod is shipped. If it just overwrites the spells.2da file then it will break the HLFP mod if you put it in your override folder. If it comes with a mod installer that alters the spells.2da file instead it should work.

(2) Force Grip does no damage at all and just holds the victim throat clutched and all in place? Is that all it does, or is it just me?

It should do a small amount of damage (15 I think) every few seconds while the grip is maintained as well. If the victim succeeds at a fortitude save and breaks free they should take some extra damage as well.
 encinodude
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
That's great news. But I'm definitely sure Force Grip does no damage for me at all. I had this guy in the Grip for five seconds one time and he only took (fatal) damage when Mandalore shot him. The fact that it's an "unblockable move" is good enough for me, I guess. Bad guys seem to make will saves against even Kill all too easily.
 Fire_fox
08-04-2008, 7:43 PM
i downloaded the mod but after downloading the update it said "The game does not seem to be properly installed" and I can't open the laucher
Page: 3 of 3