Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

K-GFF (GFF Editing Utility) v1.3.0

Page: 1 of 3
 tk102
07-08-2005, 11:42 PM
K-GFF (GFF Editing Utility) v1.3.0 (Jan 8, 2008)

Download from SWK.com (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)

-v1.3.0: Added ability to search STRREF fields by STRREF (go figure); added ability to search STRREF fields by TEXT; added ability to search CEXOLOCSTRING fields by TEXT (not just CEXLOCSUBSTRINGs); made selection background color cyan for easier viewing (why didn't I do this right from the beginning?); Added notification if searching by text and TLK file has not been selected

-v1.2.4: Added language toggle for The Witcher non-standard Lang IDs, fixed some behavioral issues mostly involving keeping the node highlighted when things happen.

-v1.2.3: Fixed a bug with the MRU list that was causing some misbehaving when it came it to opening files, specifically, that the tree wouldn't show unless you hit F5 to refresh.

-v1.2.2: Fixed a bug in the GFF libarary, exposed by v1.2.1. This affected GFF files where, after pasting a List that has a single struct or empty List, caused the change not to get saved. Thanks stoffe again!

Yet another GFF Editor...

This one features some extra support for KotOR/TSL namely in the form of VECTOR and ORIENTATION fields. These field types, as you may recall, were not present when GFFEditor.exe was published on Bioware's web site. Consequently certain GFF files (eg.: .git, .ifo) would become corrupted by editing. K-GFF supports these fields, hence you will no longer need to use CamEdit if you edit a module's .git file. Support for StrRef fields (Field Type: 18) has also been added for Jade Empire modding as of v1.1.9.

Another enhnacement over GFFEditor is the support for multiple CEXOLOCSTRING substring editing. It is now feasible for instance to publish a .dlg file with localized strings that is readable in all languages.

Other little features include: rudimentary support for BINARY fields (you can import and export these fields to files to perform hex editing), Cut/Copy/Paste of nodes, optional TLK file integration so you can translate StringRefs if you choose.
 Lorden Darkblade
07-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Great work as usual tk :)
This will be very helpful in mods to come, I'm sure of it :D :D :thumbsup:
 tk102
07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Ah version 1.0.2 (has a nice ring to it for some reason.)

v1.0.2
- Set background of tree to white, sorted fields alphabetically, added name of current file to title bar. Fixed a bug with the dialog.tlk translations. Thanks T7!

(And thank you Uchiha Itachi for your nice comments. :) )
 T7nowhere
07-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Cool, I still don't understand how to use the tlk for StringRefs :confused: Is it just supposed to show the value or the Value and the text from the tlk.

Anyway at least I understand how to addnew strings now ;)

Edit: Yup, that fixed it for me :)
 tk102
07-09-2005, 12:29 AM
I think v1.0.2 should remedy that problem T7 -- when you chose Tools: Use TLK file.. (or press Ctrl+T) you will be prompted with the open file dialog as you know. Once you locate your dialog.tlk file, K-GFF should translate StringRefs of CExoLocStrings into their text and place them in the large textbox (read-only but selectable for copying).

And yes, the behavior for the Strings is different -- you have to manually add them instead of just typing -1 in the StringRef box. I made it this way so that you could easily add multiple strings to a single CExoLocString.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-09-2005, 8:59 AM
hehe.. I was actually over SWK.com downloading the new DLG editor when I saw the link for this prog... of course I HAD to download new toys :D

Definitley looks great man! And couldn't have come at a better time (this prog and the new dlg editor)! I'm working on another project ;)

You keep amazing us with all of these new toys! :thumbsup:
 Darth333
07-09-2005, 9:05 AM
Glad the threats...err...the bribes worked! :D

Thanks for this utility! It will be most useful!
 RedHawke
07-09-2005, 10:12 PM
You have been busy tk! Very nice! :thumbsup:
 tk102
07-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the nice comments. :D

There is a strange behavior that might catch you off-guard in v1.0.2. (Hopefully to be fixed in v1.0.3...):

If you are not running K-GFF in a maximized window, and you pull up a context menu, and if that context menu goes outside the frame of the K-GFF window, and you choose a menu selection that is outside that frame -- then a mouse click event will occur on the window behind K-GFF, causing K-GFF to move to the background. Harder to explain than show (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/tk102/958d9fc3.jpg).

Anyway hope to fix that soon. Let me know if you encounter any other bugs please. :)
 Darkkender
07-10-2005, 5:16 PM
Hey tk I got a quick suggestion. Might it be possible in a future version to implement a erf editor similiar to NWNeditor. Where you can directly extract a gff file into the gff file editor and then reinsert it back into the erf editor and allow you to resave the new erf file. Of course if you did that I suppose you could extend it to a full fledged erf builder with it as well which NWNeditor doesn't support really. The reason I ask is because of your GFF editors ability to protect the camera angles feature.
 Jeff
07-10-2005, 5:58 PM
Good job tk :D I sometimes wonder how you do this stuff... ;)
 Darkkender
07-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey TK I know of a feature I would like to see would be a copy paste to the clipboard. That way you could have multiples open and copy a field from one editor to another.
 tk102
07-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Ah that's a good request. Let me see what I can do. :)
 svцsh
07-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Nice new App Tk, it’s you programmer guys that make it all possible for us to create :)

svцsh
 tk102
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
v1.0.3

- K-GFF now uses the Windows clipboard for cut/copy/paste. This allows users to paste from one instance of K-GFF to another. The data is stored on the clipboard as XML, so you can also paste into Notepad for example.

- Fixed Ctrl+Del so it actually works :xp:
 ChAiNz.2da
07-14-2005, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by tk102
v1.0.3

- K-GFF now uses the Windows clipboard for cut/copy/paste. This allows users to paste from one instance of K-GFF to another. The data is stored on the clipboard as XML, so you can also paste into Notepad for example.

:emodanc:

Fantabulous tk! I'm really enjoying your GFF editor moreso than our other alternatives :D

Thanks for the toys :p
 tk102
07-14-2005, 1:32 PM
Thanks ChAiNZ! I'm working on a bookmarking feature that was suggested by T7Nowhere. It should help if you're working with large GFF files with multiple structures. :)
 The Source
07-14-2005, 1:39 PM
v1.0.3

Question: When I copy and paste placeables, I usually have to create the opening string, and then I am able to copy/paste as I see fit. Now, the reason I have to make the opening string is so the numbering system picks up... Other words, the next placeable's number is sequentual. When you use this new copy/paste eddition, will it automatically number the next placeable?

For example:
5<--If I copy and paste this to make a new placeable I get..
 Darth333
07-14-2005, 1:39 PM
That's great :thumbsup: The new functions you are adding are very practical. We should bribe (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/perebise300.jpg) you more often! :D
 The Source
07-14-2005, 1:46 PM
I am downloading the file now, and I think this will go along ways in helping with my next project.

Thanks Man!:D

I just wanted to say Thank You for all your hard work! You have brought some invaluable programs to this community.
 tk102
07-14-2005, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by MacLeodCorp
Question: \When you use this new copy/paste eddition, will it automatically number the next placeable?

For example:
5<--If I copy and paste this to make a new placeable I get..
5 You are talking about the StructID? Copying and pasting will not update that number. There are some Lists that require particular StructIDs to be recognized. Plus I'm lazy. :D

But yes, I am susceptible to chocolate bribes. PM me for details! :xp:
 stoffe
07-14-2005, 5:30 PM
A small feature request: It would be handy if k-gff would open files automatically when you associate them to it. That way you could open GFF files by doubleclicking them in the Windows Explorer or drag'n'drop them to the k-gff icon. Please? :)
 Darth333
07-14-2005, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-
A small feature request: It would be handy if k-gff would open files automatically when you associate them to it. That way you could open GFF files by doubleclicking them in the Windows Explorer or drag'n'drop them to the k-gff icon. Please? :) it works for me :confused:

edit: it doesn't seem to work in any directory but it works on the desktop at least
 tk102
07-14-2005, 6:00 PM
Oops, I even had the subroutine to handle command line arguments in the code but forgot to call it. :o So with one line of code that should fixed. :rolleyes: v1.0.4 will be released shortly.

v1.0.4 released

- Will now open a file passed as a command line argument or when associated with a file (which is the same thing).
 stoffe
07-17-2005, 4:05 PM
I have a few more suggestions that would be very useful if you wished to implement. :worship:

* Is there any way to make k-gff display the index number of the structs in a LIST field, like the bioware editor does? That feature would make it easier to find a specific struct in a List.

* It would be nice if k-gff could save the last used window dimensions, window positioning and position/size of the resizable panels (what are they called?) It's a little annoying when you have to change the window appearance every time you start the program. :)

* It it isn't too much work, it would be nice if the label, datatype and value could be displayed as columns like in the bioware GFF editor. Makes it easier on the eyes when you scan through the tree trying to spot a specific value.

* A simple search feature where you could type in a field value and the editor would jump to a field matching the value would be useful when trying to find a value in a large file.

* When pasting a value into an input box where the current value is selected, is it possible to make it replace the selected text rather than append what you paste at the end of what's already there like it does now? Most other windows applications tend to overwrite selected text when you paste, so it kind of goes by reflex. :)

Just a few suggestions. The editor is very useful as it is already. :)
 T7nowhere
07-17-2005, 4:44 PM
* It would be nice if k-gff could save the last used window dimensions, window positioning and position/size if the resizable panels (what are they called?) It's a little annoying when you have to change the window appearance every time you start the program. :)

* A simple search feature where you could type in a field value and the editor would jump to a field matching the value would be useful when trying to find a value in a large file.

I second these :)

* When pasting a value into an input box where the current value is selected, is it possible to make it replace the selected text rather than append what you paste at the end of what's already there like it does now? Most other windows applications tend to overwrite selected text when you paste, so it kind of goes by reflex. :)

If you hit backspace the old selected text will be deleted. Tk your dialog editor does this too, so I assumed it had something to do with perl, If you could change it to overwrite automatically it would save a key stroke for us ;)
 tk102
07-25-2005, 12:39 AM
v1.1.0 released

Features added:

The number of Structs in a List are now shown in the treeview for each List
K-GFF Now remembers size and position of window and the size of the left frame. (Note that the adjuster has a little square 'handle' at the bottom that you can use to resize the left frame). Positions are saved when K-GFF exits.
Datatype, Label, and Values are now aligned
Search functions: Search by Label, Search by Value, Search by StringRef, or Search by Text have been added to the Tools menu
 stoffe
07-25-2005, 4:44 AM

K-GFF Now remembers size and position of window and the size of the left frame. (Note that the adjuster has a little square 'handle' at the bottom that you can use to resize the left frame). Positions are saved when K-GFF exits.

Thanks, those are useful new features.

However there seeems to be some problem with saving the window configuration. If you exit using the Exit command in the File menu rather than click on the window close box, the window configuration is not saved. If you click on the close box, the window dimensions are saved, but the frame size is not correctly saved. This is how it turned out:

Before closing kgff (http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/9997/kgffbefore7bk.jpg)
After restarting kgff (http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/3637/kgffafter9ex.jpg)
 Jeff
07-25-2005, 7:44 AM
Thanks TK! :)
 tk102
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
v1.1.1 released

- Search function buttons (F7-F10) are now bound to the main window rather than the tree, so now they will respond whenever the main window is active.

- Tree will now unfold as necessary when a Searched item is found

- File: Exit will now save the K-GFF window size/position.

@stoffe:
Thanks for the heads-up on the File:Exit issue. That's been fixed. As for the frame not saving its size -- it seems to work on Windows 2000 on two different machines. I haven't tried it on XP. Is that what you have?
 stoffe
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
As for the frame not saving its size -- it seems to work on Windows 2000 on two different machines. I haven't tried it on XP. Is that what you have?

Yes, I use Win XP Home Edition (with Service Pack 2 installed).

Seems like it saves (some) change to the frame dimensions since it didn't stay at the initial position/width, just not the width I set it to. I can increase the width of the right frame just fine and it saves, just not make decrease the width beyond what was shown in the screenshot above, or it snaps to that position when kgff is restarted.

Not exactly a huge problem. :)
 tk102
07-25-2005, 11:50 AM
@stoffe:
(I tried to send this as PM, but your mailbox is full...)

Stoffe, perhaps you can help me troubleshoot the behavior....

The settings are being written to a file called kgff.ini which is stored in your %WINDIR% folder.

Try this:
Launch KGFF, resize the pane and close it.
Then open up kgff.ini in notepad.
Next, Launch KGFF again, do nothing and close it.
Then open up kgff.ini in another notepad.

Compare the two settings. I think they will have changed, and hopefully if they change the same amount each time for you, I can make an adjustment for WinXP users.
 stoffe
07-25-2005, 12:17 PM
@stoffe:
(I tried to send this as PM, but your mailbox is full...)

Oops. I've cleaned it up a bit now.

Stoffe, perhaps you can help me troubleshoot the behavior....
(snip)
Compare the two settings. I think they will have changed, and hopefully if they change the same amount each time for you, I can make an adjustment for WinXP users.

Yes, the leftframe width value changed between the two times. First it was 659, but was changed to 439 after starting and quitting kgff again.

I tried a few times to resize the frames in different ways, and it seems that whenever the Width is larger than 439, it is automatically set down to 439 again the next time kgff runs. If the width is 439 or less, it is re-loaded correctly.
 tk102
07-25-2005, 4:07 PM
it seems that whenever the Width is larger than 439, it is automatically set down to 439... If the width is 439 or less, it is re-loaded correctly.
Well that is fairly useless. :)

Thanks for testing this. I'll see what I can do with it on an XP machine.
 tk102
07-26-2005, 1:02 AM
v1.1.2
- Fixed sizing issue of left frame for WinXP users

- Fixed a bug that was pasting text values as '0'.
 SplashKhat
07-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Guess I downloaded before that update. I had no Idea what the program was for when I couldn't see the file trees >.<

Looks good now mate ^^
 Doc Valentine
08-10-2005, 8:35 PM
Will you every plan to make an ERF editor with this added on, thats what I really need right now i know TLK editor does it but, TLK editor sucks some files it wont open, you cant extract lips with it. And almost every time i hit open it reverts to my documents making me have to go all the way through the folders again.

Aslo I would like to suggest that you do something for the CExoLocString that I saw in the late NwNEditor (the one that was in spanish, i no longer have it and it was a freaking dream, If anyone knows where i can get it please tell me) was that if there was a way to add a string to it so you could type it in yourself. You would hit add, and select male, then put the string reff to -1 and you could put your own in, but I dont see that with your utility, would you mind puting that in, make renaming map notes as well as triggers and the like MUCH easier.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, found that all you had to do was change it to CEXOSTRING, guess NWNEditor did it for me so I never knew hehe.

-GSCCC
 Darth333
08-10-2005, 9:25 PM
You can extract them with Kotor tool too: just drop one of those *_loc.mod files in your modules folder. Open KT, go to ERFs and extract whatever you want :)
 Doc Valentine
08-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Also, could you make it so you can select multiple structs? Or that when you delete one, it selects the next struct down? Because select + Ctrl DEL gets pretty tedious when you have 145 waypoints to delete in a map.

Just a suggestion,

-GSCCC
 Doc Valentine
08-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Open KT, go to ERFs and extract whatever you want :)

I tried to do that to edit my custom modules, but when I open one of the things inside i get an error that tells me to continue or quit, and when i extract them it extracts them with no information making them appear on my folder with 0 kb.

-GSCCC
 Doc Valentine
08-14-2005, 6:10 PM
Is it possible to select multiple structs already or is that not an option yet?

*REQUEST*: Could you make it so that when you hit ctrl + Delete, that it selects the next item down?
 tk102
08-15-2005, 3:09 PM
Is it possible to select multiple structs already or is that not an option yet?No multiple structs cannot be selected independently. If they are in the same List, however, they can all be affected by cut/copy/paste/delete.

*REQUEST*: Could you make it so that when you hit ctrl + Delete, that it selects the next item down?

Done. v1.1.3 released.
 Doc Valentine
08-15-2005, 3:57 PM
THANKS TK!!!! This makes deleting 200 Waypints (literally) MUCH easier.
 Viscerus
08-26-2005, 3:11 PM
What is supposed to happen when a file is opened? Nothing happens when I open anything.
 Darth333
08-26-2005, 4:35 PM
I am not sure I understand when you say Nothing happens when I open anything.

What do you mean nothing happens when you open a file? K-Gff opens but it stays blank? What file are you trying to open?
 Viscerus
08-26-2005, 9:07 PM
Everything does stay blank. I was trying to open utc and uti templates for items and characters.
 Darkkender
08-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I could be wrong here but I think the problem you are referring to is when you associate a GFF file to K-Gff and try to open the gff file. What it does is just open a new blank session of k-gff and not the file itself. Is this what you are referring to Viscerus.

If so all you should have to done is open the gff file from the drop down menu.
 Darth333
09-26-2005, 4:17 PM
There's one thing that annoys me when making new areas: having to retype all the coordinates once I extracted them in a text file with the whereami armband. Would it be possible to add a copy/paste function so it's posssible to copy text from another application and then paste it in K-Gff?
 tk102
09-26-2005, 4:22 PM
It sort of has something like this via its XML copy/paste schemes...

One thing you could try doing is Copying a Position or Orientation Field and Paste it into Notepad. Then you could perform your edits and Paste it back into K-GFF.

But you're suggesting something a bit more specific with regards to the Whereami armband, yes? :)
 Simbacca
10-18-2005, 10:27 PM
i just download this and i am having the same exact problem as Viscerus.

Everything does stay blank. I was trying to open utc and uti templates for items and characters.

i start KGFF, the click file/open, then i browse to the character utc file i want to open and i click it, and KGFF stays just as it was when i started it, with no trace of my utc file displayed at all.

help!
Page: 1 of 3