Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

console kiddies aren't

Page: 1 of 1
 warmonger180
03-18-2005, 11:54 PM
gonna be allowed in here, right? they got no bizz playin with real games. let'em play mario brothers or whatever lame@$$ crap they got
 Oidar
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Huh? I'd expect console people to be on here just as much as pc people. RC is on both Xbox and PC so it would be stupid to alienate them from a forum for this game regardless of what system they play it on. Your just an idiot for saying what you did. It only shows your ignorance.
 TK-8252
03-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, we got an instaban policy for console-users around here.

WTF? :confused:
 warmonger180
03-19-2005, 12:23 AM
it's cuz of consoles that games are more and more dumbed down to run on lesser hardware. it's not a matter of ignorance, just reality. case in point: men of valor. started at defense of MACV base and exited 6hrs later. as a test i started from the last save but that didn't happen. had to restart wgere i was the previous 6hrs cuz the devs couldn't be bothered to code it to save anywhere. so, i got a h8 on for these toys and i'll die before ever i own one. PCs roooollllzzzz simple as that
 Oidar
03-19-2005, 1:36 AM
ok, I'm gonna say this once and only once. THE DEBATE BETWEEN CONSOLE AND PC IS ****ING STUPID. Your trying to compare apples and oranges. Lets take a look at a couple little things.
Computers by nature are designed to do complex tasks and server many different functions.
Consoles are not.
Have you ever wondered why certain console games are able to play on a seemingly inferior system but when their ported over to a pc they require what seems like ungoldy requirements for a game?

Lets look at the xbox system requirements,

CPU: 733 MHz chip crafted by Intel
Graphics Processor: 250MHz custom chip named XGPU, developed by Microsoft and nVIDIA
Total Memory: The RAM in the Xbox will be supplied by Micron, it will be 64 MB running at 200MHz DDR (Double-Data-Rate)
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4 GB/sec
Polygon Performance: 125 M/sec
Sustained Polygon Performance: 100+ M/sec (transformed and lit polygons per second)
Micropolygons/particles per second: 125 M/sec
Particle Performance: 125 M/sec
Simultaneous Textures: 4
Pixel Fill Rate - No Texture: 4.0 G/Sec (anti-aliased)
Pixel Fill Rate - 1 Texture: 4.0 G/Sec (anti-aliased)
Compressed Textures: Yes (6:1)
Full Scene Anti-Alias: Yes
Micro Polygon Support: Yes
Storage Medium: 2-5x DVD, 10GB hard disk, 8MB memory card
I/0: 2-5x DVD, 10GB hard disk, 8MB memory card
Audio Channels:64 (up to 256 stereo voices)
3D Audio Support: Yes
MIDI DLS2 Support: Yes
AC3 Encoded Game Audio: Yes
Broadband Enabled: Yes
Modem Enabled: No
DVD Movie Playback: Remote control package required
Maximum Resolution: 1920x1080
Maximum Resolution (2x32bpp frame buffers +Z): 1920x1080
HDTV Support: Yes
Controller Ports: 4 USB Ports

Now just for the hell of it I'll list my pc specs so we can do a comparison
AMD FX-55 (4000+)
DFI Nforce4 ultra-D motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 6800GT
1Gig of Kingston Ddr 400 ram
80gig western digital hard drive 7200rpm
200gig western digital hard drive 7200rpm (SATA)
LG dvdrw
LG cdrw
Windows XP pro

I don't really need to go any farther than that. A quick comparison would and does easily put my computer far ahead of the xbox BUT the one thing the xbox doesn't have to deal with that the pc does is an OS. THAT IN ITSELF MAKES A CONSOLE AN IDEAL GAMING PLATFORM.

I cannot take sides on the argument of which is better. Both have advantages and disadvantages, fighting games are far superior on a console, DOA ultimate, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken5, Mortal Combat:Deception. Where as First person shooter games (IMO) are much better on a pc, RC, HL2, Battlefield 2. A computer allows for a greater degree of control when playing games of these types due to the mouse and keyboard input but if you want to be a console keener, a real fanboy, you can step out and get a mouse and keyboard for your console and have that same degree of control. Almost everything you can get for a console you can get for a pc, with the exception of a few things and vise versa when it comes to peripherals for the pc.

Certain game types such as RPGs or Adventure/RPG games work well on both a console or a pc. FFXI for example, its huge on both and there is no distinct advantage of owning it on either console or pc. Its all a matter of personal preference. You can argue, "Oh but my computer has better graphics". Well maybe but here is a little known fact most idiots seem to forget. Your Video card can only enhance the graphics to a certain point. After that your just fooling yourself. Go get a copy of space quest 6 boot up a 486 and your 1337 bitchin uber pc and tell me which looks better. NEITHER. Your 1337 pc will run the game easier thats about it.
After a certain point its just overkill.

Lets take a quick look at a recent game thats came out
Brothers in Arms.
Here are the system requirements
Supported OS: Windows® 2000/XP (only)
- Processor: 1 GHz Pentium® III or AMD Athlon™ (2.5 GHzPentium IV or AMD recommended)
- RAM: 512 MB (1 GB recommended)
- Video Card: 32 MB DirectX® 9.0c compliant (see supported list*)
- Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9.0c-compliant sound card
- DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)
- DVD-ROM: 4x DVD-ROM (8x or better recommended)
- Hard Drive Space: 5 GB
- Peripherals Supported: Windows keyboard and mouse only
- Multiplay: Broadband with 64 kbps upstream (128 kbps recommended)

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:

- ATI® Radeon® 8500/9000/X series
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ 4/FX/6 series (GeForce 4 MX not supported)

Now, notice how it recomends a 2.5ghz pentiumIV. Doesn't it seem weird that an Xbox, an xbox with a 733mhz processor can run a game like this and the fact that it graphics would only be beat by a next gen video card like say a GeForce 6800GT.
Also notice where it says what video cards are supported, and how much ram you need and the fact you need a dvd player, and 5 gigs of hard drive space, directX 9.0c

Lets check out the Xbox requirements.

An Xbox.

WOW FREAKIN OW. What a difference. You don't have to sell a kidney to buy parts to upgrade an xbox like you do a pc.

If you were to play BIA on the minimum requirements the game would play. Mind you the game wouldn't play that well but it would play, if you were to go with the suggested specs and play it, it would play fine, quite good infact BUT if you were to play it on an xbox and then compare the two. The xbox would win. the xbox is running the game on less and getting just as good if not better preformance.
Wait till Halo2 comes out for pc and look at the requirements and tell yourself honestly that the requirements aren't ****ed up.

It all boils down to this.
PC Gamers, the hardcore pc gamers that think consoles suck don't have two ****ing clues how a console works or why consoles require less to play games that a pc requires more to run. Its simple the OS. Your operating system is so taxing its not even funny. There are a butt load of programs constantly running that forces your pc to do work while it doesn't have to.

A console doesn't have these problems, no os. everthing is ran from the cd/dvd.

Mind you were getting to the point where consoles are starting to become mini powerhouse pcs designed specificly towards gaming but thats still a little ways off. You can argue that a console is a "computer" gaming system, meaning that it basicly is a pc and true enough your pretty well right but the lack of an OS sets them apart.

In closing since its late and I just don't feel like trying to drill this into your head anymore I'll simply close by saying this.
Consoles have no dumbed down games in the least, infact they've helped bolster and expand the gaming industry and they sell more console games in north america then they do pc games.
PLUS you can only get some games on console(GT4). If anything consoles have allowed for games to expand and be more creative and push the limits of what their able to do.

If you want to argue about save points then go right ahead most games backup at load screens in midparts of levels or have save points at regular intervals in their games. Its like clockwork in some games, beat 2 parts of a level, save, fight mini boss.

These two points are weak and this is the stupidest arguement you'll ever get into cause I'm going to college and studying game design, we work with both pc and console and I can tell you right now the only difference between the two is preference.
Neither has an advantage over the other cause where one seems to shine the other steals the spotlight for a feature the other lacks.

Do yourself a favour. Don't reply to this and we'll just end things as they are.
 Kurgan
03-19-2005, 2:37 AM
I think the thread starter can probably guess that yes, console users are just as welcome here as PC users.

I'd like to warn against posting flame bait here in the future.

If you wish to contribute something to the console vs. pc debate, try the off topic forum or perhaps even the Senate Chambers (on JK.net forums).

Thanks...
Page: 1 of 1