Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My Take On RC (personal review of PC version)

Page: 1 of 1
 swaaye
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I just beat RC a few hours ago and I've had time to reflect on it.

My call on the game is that it's a EXTREMELY linear title with tons of repetition. The game is far too short and ends in a pretty lame and sudden way. I think it took me less than 10 hours, but I don't have an exact number. It's definitely far shorter than JK2 and even JA I'd say.

The enemies are stupid and get stuck on objects a lot, and don't really hunt you down well. Your squadmates are stupid in their movements and only use 1 weapon unless you use one of the prescripted cover areas. There is nothing special about the AI. Your ability to command the squad is too limited as well, considering it's the main "feature" of the title.

The limited squad control was a big let down. They didn't seem to know when to attack at times and would either hide or walk around stupidly. Or they'd do the "attack the Super Battle Droid with my fists" approach and die. The available commands didn't always produce the desired effect and I was wanting "posture" modes at times to be able to control more what the squaddies did.

You can tell the game was built around Xbox because it loads far too often, and very quickly on modern PCs (ie it doesn't load much in each area, but it fits Xbox's 64MB RAM). The graphics are low-poly in many places, while the textures are slighty above average. Pixel shading and bump mapping are nice. Unreal engine runs pretty darned well. But it was definitely toned down for Xbox's P3/GF3+. Maybe squad controls were limited because of Xbox's controller? I hate console ports.

The Q&A team did a very good job stomping out the bugs but I did once lose all my weapons and had to reload a save. It's FAR better than KOTOR 2 though, and it should be because it's a mere fraction of a game compared to KOTOR 2.

There were points where I was impressed with the game, but it would often quickly get old due to the massive repetitiveness of the game's attacks. IMO it's time for developers to stop making games where you just kill wave after wave of stupid enemies ( and even identical waves! lol). The droid canisters were dumb....infinite waves of baddies continues. It turned the game into a dumb-luck situation where maybe the next reload-of-save you'd be able to pull off a successful attack.

Difficulty levels didn't seem to influence your squadmate's damage taking abilities, but sure it made the player pretty impotent. I would get nearly killed in like 2 seconds of even light weapons fire on Hard. I was hoping for a more strategic game by going with Hard, but it just made it impossible to even step out into harm's way.

I'd rate it a 65-70% personally. It's not worth $50 (or even $35) considering the pathetic MP and ridiculously short SP.

As a Star Wars fan, I enjoyed it a bit. But there are a lot of stupid design decisions in the game and it's not nearly the kind of title I felt they were advertising at last year's E3.
 Sir Smokes Alot
03-10-2005, 3:09 AM
Glad I am not that picky I would never enjoy most games. Anyway to each his own.
 swaaye
03-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry, but there's just not much game here. I love Star Wars and play all of the games all the way back to X-Wing, but the original Jedi Knight offers an enormously superior experience compared to this 9-hour-game.

It was fun to blow up super battle droids, and to be on a republic assault ship, but hey, where's the content? Jedi Knight 2 was 2x the game.

It's disappointing but fitting considering what LucasArts has done to recent third party titles, and the kind of deadlines they make these developers run on. Wondering what I mean? Go explore the KOTOR2 situation.
 Sir Smokes Alot
03-10-2005, 2:27 PM
Originally posted by swaaye
Sorry, but there's just not much game here. I love Star Wars and play all of the games all the way back to X-Wing, but the original Jedi Knight offers an enormously superior experience compared to this 9-hour-game.

It was fun to blow up super battle droids, and to be on a republic assault ship, but hey, where's the content? Jedi Knight 2 was 2x the game.

It's disappointing but fitting considering what LucasArts has done to recent third party titles, and the kind of deadlines they make these developers run on. Wondering what I mean? Go explore the KOTOR2 situation. No need to be sorry. Your dislike of the game is not going to dampen my like for the game. Like what you like and if don't like RC fine cool. I enjoyed the game and other peoples dislike dose not both me.
 Prime
03-10-2005, 4:43 PM
Nice review. I think I wait until it drops in price. It sounds like it will be a great bargain game. ANd maybe then there might be some MPers out there. :)
Page: 1 of 1