Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gamespy review, 4/5 stars

Page: 1 of 1
 Drax Kreiger
02-22-2005, 8:19 PM
Gamespy Review (http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/star-wars-republic-commando/589626p1.html)

Bad news, it also says the multiplayer is not that great....
 El Sitherino
02-22-2005, 8:32 PM
Hmm...
*waits for a pc review*
 ZBomber
02-23-2005, 2:13 AM
RC will live on! :(

(Posting on RC.net :))

Multiplayer hasn't been getting good reviews, hope it's easily modable...
 El Sitherino
02-23-2005, 2:21 AM
Well they've all said it was good, but nothing spectacular and revolutionary. Honestly who here expected RC to revolutionize MP for the new age?
 ZBomber
02-23-2005, 2:25 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Well they've all said it was good, but nothing spectacular and revolutionary. Honestly who here expected RC to revolutionize MP for the new age?

Well, of course, but I have a feeling it'll have similiar MP to JA. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find JA too enjoyable (However, the mods were quite fun).

It'd be disapointing if the MP is just an average one. I wouldn't mind seeing something new and exciting besides a reverse CTF.

But I disgress, 4 out of 5 stars is quite good. :)
 txa1265
02-23-2005, 6:29 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, of course, but I have a feeling it'll have similiar MP to JA. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find JA too enjoyable (However, the mods were quite fun). Look at it this way - JA MP is in the top 20 more than 1.5 years after release ... not too many games manage that! MoHPA never cracked the top 20, nor did Elite Force ... even BattleFront didn't stay there long ... so if RC does even reasonably well, that will be nice.

Mike
 ZBomber
02-23-2005, 6:36 AM
Top 20 what?

And I think the only reason its on a list is because siege/mods, I didn't think the default MP itself was to great.
 txa1265
02-23-2005, 7:55 AM
Top 20 what? GameSpy stats ranking, in terms of players & servers.

And I think the only reason its on a list is because siege/mods, I didn't think the default MP itself was to great. Doesn't matter to me either way, I'm not a MP gamer ...

Mike
 Nokill
02-23-2005, 9:42 AM
lets hope that patches and mods will make the MP better IF! its not all that good :eek:
 lukeiamyourdad
02-23-2005, 5:03 PM
I'm far from being worried.

Boomtown gave it an 8 which is amazing considering whatever gets a 9 on IGN, Gamespy or Gamespot gets an 8 on Boomtown.

Besides, what's so wrong about simply having TDM, DM and CTF?
It's an SP oriented game, just like MOHAA, MOHPA and many more.
 Kurgan
02-23-2005, 5:15 PM
Top 20 what?

And I think the only reason its on a list is because siege/mods, I didn't think the default MP itself was to great.

Well the thing is, Siege IS part of "default MP." ; )

If you mean FFA, well, that is the most popular gametype in JA, simply because it's what everybody knows.

In terms of options there's no comparing the MP of JA to RC so far.

But of course that's just in terms of options. RC might theoretically have certain complex elements built into the game itself that would make the usual humdrum Deathmatch and CTF with guns interesting. Wait and see...

Still, even if you're not an MP gamer, you'll note the reviews all said this game was short. 6-10 hours. That's equivalent to Elite Force, another great, but short SP FPS game with mostly lackluster MP.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-23-2005, 5:36 PM
Most SP FPS are rather short.

It's hard to make an FPS both story-driven and long without hitting the repetitiveness barrier.
 El Sitherino
02-23-2005, 5:46 PM
Agreed, and halo didn't last long with me either. About 9-10 hours.
 Drax Kreiger
02-23-2005, 7:38 PM
and Halo 2 wasnt much better. All of that fighting for such a crappy ending...
 ZBomber
02-24-2005, 6:34 AM
Well, it seems they are really not living up to the hype. If they aren't gonna make a very complex, original MP, they could atleast make a long SP.
 ManaMana
02-24-2005, 6:38 AM
Why bother? If we could edit the game anyway, we dont need a long single player campain, we could do our own.

(Stormtrooper campaign!):cool:
 ZBomber
02-24-2005, 7:20 AM
SP conversions aren't easy to do. They take a long time, and by the time they are done (if they ever finish), there could be a new game on the block and no one would care about RC.

I know thats what happened to JA, lots of mods, most didn't come out, some still in the works, but most people don't play JA anymore.
 Kurgan
02-24-2005, 3:45 PM
To that I say "who cares."

If you want your mod only to be popular, then you should only mod for popular games, and only while they are still popular!

I remember how the dedicated JK/MotS community made tons of (many quite good quality) Episode I themed mods when TPM came out.

A small community compared to other hot games at the time, but quality work was made, and in a sense it revitalized the community.

Of course it helped that there was a demand for Episode I themed games, and most of the official ones sucked...
 ZBomber
02-24-2005, 3:53 PM
My point is, most of the great modders aren't gonna spend their valuable time on a game that doesn't have a large population.
 Joetheeskimo
02-24-2005, 4:24 PM
Pff! **** GameSpy, I know an awesome game when I see it! :mad:

*Walks off muttering* :¬:
 ZBomber
02-24-2005, 4:53 PM
The 3 reviews I read ALL ween't very impressed with MP tho. Thats what causes me to worry. :\
 El Sitherino
02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, it seems they are really not living up to the hype. If they aren't gonna make a very complex, original MP, they could atleast make a long SP. Going by todays standards, 10 hours is pretty long. And what hype? The hype you built up for yourself? ;)

The 3 reviews I read ALL ween't very impressed with MP tho. Thats what causes me to worry. :\ They said it was good MP, but nothing revolutionary, ie. nothing that changes the way multiplayer will be done from this step on.

Either you're being a pessimist, or you just misunderstand what they're saying.
 txa1265
02-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Going by todays standards, 10 hours is pretty long. True, given the 8 hour 'Medal of Honor' standard ... but even I got some hope from all of last years' major releases clocking in at ~12 hours or more ... Even MoHPA was pretty long (painfully so ;) ), but 10 hours is a pretty average length.

And what hype? The hype you built up for yourself? ;) I agree - I have found the demo falls more or less in line with what the previews said, and that the game looks very good, but not great as the reviews echo. ~85% is a very good score - anything 90%+ is 'life changing' by gaming standards ...

Either you're being a pessimist, or you just misunderstand what they're saying. ;) I think that some people take a game and personally invest so much in believing a game to be 'best ever' that when the reviewers don't see it that way they get upset. Which reminds me - be your own reviewer. If you really like a game, does it matter what GameSpy scored it? It shouldn't - you should be playing the game, not quibbling about someone else's opinion.

Mike
 El Sitherino
02-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Agreed, I came into this game a little over a year ago when we first heard tiny rumours and talks about a game where you play a clone trooper. I was ecstatic when they confirmed that, and then we later got a trailer. But I kept myself level headed, compared to recent Star Wars games (excluding Kotor as that was a way out-of-house project). I kept myself from setting too high a standard, and I have to say the game exceeded what I expected. I though it'd be mostly JO/JA's FPS take out, clones put in place, and playability nerfed. I figured "they're going for a console game". But I played that demo, and I was shocked, it was beyond what I expected and I enjoyed it. Regardless of what these reviewers say, I know I'll be perfectly happy with the game, I just wish people wouldn't take the reviewers like they were some all knowing god that are saying this game will absolutley not give you much fun beyond 10 hours of SP play. Me, I mostly played FFA and Deathmatch on JA/JO anyway, so I have no problem with just a basic MP.

My feelings are hold out, let yourself play the game, and determine how you feel. After you do that, feel free to say how disappointed you are. But not at this point as we have little to go by except for what a few reviewers say.

And no doubt HL2 still being fresh in peoples minds, their minds are a bit fmeh'd about most games after it. Kind of like eating average pudding after finishing fresh pie.
 ZBomber
02-25-2005, 4:29 AM
Going by todays standards, 10 hours is pretty long. And what hype? The hype you built up for yourself? ;)

They said it was good MP, but nothing revolutionary, ie. nothing that changes the way multiplayer will be done from this step on.

Either you're being a pessimist, or you just misunderstand what they're saying.

The hype that came with the demo.

Honestly, SP < MP. I have more fun playing SP usually, but it gets boring once you beat it. I'd definetly prefer an all right SP and a awesome MP. Seems like we are just getting average SP and MP tho.

And my point is, I think the MP will end up being like JA MP. I didn't like JA MP. Therefore, I'm (was/am) hoping it won't be an "average" MP like JA.
 Joetheeskimo
02-25-2005, 4:45 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
;) I think that some people take a game and personally invest so much in believing a game to be 'best ever' that when the reviewers don't see it that way they get upset. Which reminds me - be your own reviewer. If you really like a game, does it matter what GameSpy scored it? It shouldn't - you should be playing the game, not quibbling about someone else's opinion.

Mike

Exactly, which is why I said "**** GameSpy, I know an awesome game when I see it!" :D

Honestly, SP < MP. I have more fun playing SP usually, but it gets boring once you beat it.

You may think of it that way, but I have a feeling ocne I play the SP throguh I'll be ready for a replay right away. I played the demo several times over and still haven't gotten bored. Imagine how much I'll have to do when the actual game arrives. :thumbsup:

And my point is, I think the MP will end up being like JA MP. I didn't like JA MP. Therefore, I'm (was/am) hoping it won't be an "average" MP like JA.

By what the reviews are saying about their MP being nothing special, it's pretty obvious the MP will just be average. :(
 lukeiamyourdad
02-25-2005, 4:45 AM
There won't be any role-playing in MP this time.

I hope not...
 Joetheeskimo
02-25-2005, 4:53 AM
People might role-play training camps or something, or maybe start battle with RP situations, but it's pretty hard to RP with a game like Republic Commando. JA is meant more for online role-playing.
 ZBomber
02-25-2005, 5:50 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

You may think of it that way, but I have a feeling ocne I play the SP throguh I'll be ready for a replay right away. I played the demo several times over and still haven't gotten bored. Imagine how much I'll have to do when the actual game arrives. :thumbsup:

Yeh, but you can replay a game only a certain ammount of times, even with great SP games like Halo. :) Thats why it's good to have a good MP to fall back on.
 Joetheeskimo
02-25-2005, 6:14 AM
Yeh, but you can replay a game only a certain ammount of times, even with great SP games like Halo. :) Thats why it's good to have a good MP to fall back on.

True. Playing against humans instead of playing a pre-defined storyline has endless capabilities :D I see your reasoning.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-25-2005, 1:05 PM
even with great SP games like Halo.

Eh...I wouldn't call Halo's SP to be "great" The story was fun but the level design was so bad...especially the last one of Halo 1...geez...
 El Sitherino
02-25-2005, 8:18 PM
Yeh, but you can replay a game only a certain ammount of times, even with great SP games like Halo. :) Thats why it's good to have a good MP to fall back on. Halo's MP was average too. :x
 Drax Kreiger
02-25-2005, 8:52 PM
I dont know about that, man. 16 people in an enclosed space killing each other with a rocket launcher is pretty fun. But RPing a video game while its playing? That sounds like too much work.
 El Sitherino
02-25-2005, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by Drax Kreiger
I dont know about that, man. 16 people in an enclosed space killing each other with a rocket launcher is pretty fun. ... You could do that with more people in JA, plus you had freakin lightsabers and force. In RC you'll be able to do the same, minus the lightsabers and force. And on the PC you can have more people(32 I believe is the recommended max).
 ManaMana
02-26-2005, 5:59 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
To that I say "who cares."

I remember how the dedicated JK/MotS community made tons of (many quite good quality) Episode I themed mods when TPM came out.

Hey, krugan, were still up on massassi. We are also (Not WE, but a guy called Hellraiser) doing a JK Editing hub, check it out if you missed it.
 Kurgan
02-26-2005, 11:39 AM
People might role-play training camps or something, or maybe start battle with RP situations, but it's pretty hard to RP with a game like Republic Commando. JA is meant more for online role-playing.

Well, JA isn't meant for role playing and is no more "friendly" to it than any other FPS game.

It's the various admin mods that have been created for it by fan modders that have allowed that "shift" to take place.

The hype for this game comes from the fact that it's tied to Episode III (and thus it's a game for "spoiler fans" before the movie and will be for fans of the movie afterward). That and with the delay, you obviously have a huge buildup of content on the official site and press releases, etc. because they thought they were going to release the game, then didn't, so they are doing the "hype machine" thing twice. Understand?

It's not as if we can just smugly blame any disappointment this game generates solely on the fans and their delusions. Sure, you could say that LucasArts has NOT hyped the MP portion of this game. They really haven't. It's all been about SP for them. And they're laying it on thick as this very polished, revolutionary gritty squad based game. Oh, and it has some MP too in there someplace.

As to the JK Editing stuff, that's cool. I'm well aware that Massassi is keeping that aspect of the classic community alive and I'm grateful and think that's awesome. I honestly don't play JK/MotS anymore (in favor of JA), however I loved those games for years, and I still think they're great. I will one day revisit them again for old time's sake, and this new thing with Qtracker will probably be the thing to get me interested in that sooner rather than later. ; )
 lonepadawan
02-28-2005, 8:03 AM
 Prime
02-28-2005, 10:44 AM
And what hype? Indeed. Republic Commando is one of the least hyped Star Wars games there is.
 txa1265
02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Indeed. Republic Commando is one of the least hyped Star Wars games there is. It is interesting - I would say that RepCom isn't so heavily 'hyped', but certainly heavily covered ... the EpIII 'Ultimate Jedi Simulator' is more hyped ...

Mike
 Joetheeskimo
02-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
It is interesting - I would say that RepCom isn't so heavily 'hyped', but certainly heavily covered ... the EpIII 'Ultimate Jedi Simulator' is more hyped ...

Mike

I've never heard of it.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Ep. III the video game...
 Joetheeskimo
02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
"Ultimate Jedi Simulator"? What kind of a dorky title is that? :eyeraise:
 El Sitherino
02-28-2005, 1:06 PM
"Ultimate Jedi Simulator"? What kind of a dorky title is that? :eyeraise: It's not a title, it's what it's being claimed as. I swear some of you people pay no attention to anything. :p
 Drax Kreiger
02-28-2005, 1:57 PM
Why of course we pay attention to things.

Holy Crap!!!! Lando Calrissian is black!
 lonepadawan
03-01-2005, 6:49 AM
Thats because they all live under rocks. Large rocks with indoor swimming pools certainly. But still rocks.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-01-2005, 5:19 PM
RC R AWESOMEZ!

-Sith. (needed to topicize it)
 El Sitherino
03-01-2005, 8:55 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
PM does exist.

*waves at a mod* :wavey:
Page: 1 of 1