Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

*Official* PC Demo Thread *demo spoilers/pic heavy*

Page: 2 of 3
 ZBomber
02-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Ragnos
I downloaded the demo and when i click the install file nothing happens:(

Help!

Where did you download?

And, for the catwalk, I just plant the bomb will the squad takes out the enemies.
 Ragnos
02-05-2005, 3:04 PM
I downloaded it from Lucasarts.com. And two other places:(
 lukeiamyourdad
02-05-2005, 3:11 PM
Maybe you need to clean up your Windows Registry.

Look for a free registry cleaner and try it out. Google for Reg Supreme.
 ZBomber
02-05-2005, 3:24 PM
Control+Alt+Delete

See if the process is even running.....
 Ragnos
02-05-2005, 3:33 PM
It pops up on the process window but disapears right away:confused:

Would it have to do with my virus stopper?
 lukeiamyourdad
02-05-2005, 3:34 PM
Maybe not. Scan the file for viruses if you're worry.

Other then that, try the registry cleaner.
 Ragnos
02-05-2005, 3:55 PM
The registry cleaner didnt make RC work, but the pc sure needed a clean up:p

Dont know what to do now. I'll try more tomorrow.
 ZBomber
02-05-2005, 4:08 PM
What are your system spec? Mayeb your machine can't handle it? (Doubt it tho)
 Ragnos
02-05-2005, 4:15 PM
Specs are good enough.

I see some people at the LA forum has the same problem.
 ZBomber
02-05-2005, 4:50 PM
Hmmm.... I dunno, that's really strange. What operating system are you running?
 Nokill
02-06-2005, 1:57 AM
try closing all your running prosesses and try again
(only proseeses on your name *also your **** downloads* )

you can also try to open it from the zip file itzelf

and yes you coud use a pc cleanup ;)
 Ragnos
02-06-2005, 2:09 AM
Its working now:)

Downloaded it from gamesdaily and it worked:)

RC looks great!:D Can't wait for the full version:cool:

Thanks people!
 SirPantsAlot
02-06-2005, 7:27 AM
The best site to download demos from is downloads.ugo.com

No queues no popups!
 Nokill
02-06-2005, 9:01 AM
also no site it won't open :rolleyes:
 Joetheeskimo
02-06-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm stunned. :eek:

The demo is pure gold. Just pure gold. I loved it so much, I played the thing ten ****ing times.

The gameplay cannot be questioned as better than any game I've ever played, especially the unique squad revive feature. Also, it gave me a message about not having the proper Pixel Shader feature on my video card, which I foresaw but downloaded the thing anyway, I was so desperate. Turns out, I can still play, AND the graphics still look awesome! I don't know what Pixel Shader does, but the graphics are obviously top-notch with or without.
The weapons were awesome, and I especially enjoyed how you could smack them with the butt of the gun or use the vibrobalde in the knuckle plates.
Being able to order squad mates to do tasks, man turrets, and take cover makes the game a lot more fun. I sorta got the feeling of "leave no man behind" when my men ran through showers of bullets to revive me -- I felt the obligation to do the same with them. :D
I actually enjoyed doing a lot of the available tasks such as blowing doors, reviving squad mates, and slicing consoles myself for the sake of different stuff to do besides shooting, but it was ncie to have four things being done at once, so a squad is overall much better than games you play alone.

Just a few complaints: the DC17 runs out too fast and there's not enough ammo on the map (I try not to waste the ammo, but that may be the problem anyway :p), my squad mates NEVER use anything other than the DC17 (plus they hever run out of ammo like I do :mad: ), and it takes a little TOO long to get on my feet once I've been revived. Sure, one wouldn't exactly leap to their feet after taking thirty shots in the chest, but it's obnoxious how as I wobble to my feet, bullets are meanwhile draining all my health. :mad:

Game score out of 10: 15. :thumbsup:
 Ragnos
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I finished the demo in like 20 minutes if i didnt loose total track of time.

I loved this demo and i agree with everything Joe says about features and stuff. But i feel kinda clumsy playing this game. It feels like your sitting in a box with a gun sticking out of it. But it was fun and the ending made me wanting more.
8/10

Happy b-day Joe:deathstar
 ZBomber
02-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, they did the ammo hting that way because you have two back-up weapons, the vibroblade and the pistol. :)
 Joetheeskimo
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, they did the ammo thing that way because you have two back-up weapons, the vibroblade and the pistol. :)

That's true, but it's still annoying. The DC17m is the main weapon for a commando - we should be able to actually use it for the entire mission, and switch to other weapons when we WANT to, not when we're forced to.

Maybe it'll be different in the full game.

OT: Well, I got $130 total for my birthday, and I'm gonna use $50 of it to pre-order RC! :D
 Sifandor
02-06-2005, 5:06 PM
I have like 5 cool screen shots and the one where fixer stabs the trandoshan with his own knife. but i dont know how to show you guys.:(
If anyone knows how than tell me.:c3po: :c3po:
 ZBomber
02-06-2005, 5:12 PM
You can uploadthe pics for free at www.imageshack.us) :)
 Sifandor
02-06-2005, 5:25 PM
Nope, Just tried an my pictures are bigger than 1054 KB's so i need another option.:confused:

:deathii: :deathii: :deathii:
:deathii: :deathstar :deathii:
:deathii: :deathii: :deathii:
 Sifandor
02-06-2005, 5:35 PM
:mob: I just like this smilie
 ZBomber
02-06-2005, 5:40 PM
Hmmm... try saving your pictures as JPEGs. They shouldn't be over the size limit.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-06-2005, 5:42 PM
Photobucket resizes pictures that are too large. However, since your picture is 1054kb, it'll come out very small. JPEG is the way to go.

DC17m: Well, the weapon is currently too weak. It takes too many shots to kill an enemy. They should upgrade the damage it deals and the problem will be solved.
 Shok_Tinoktin
02-06-2005, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
DC17m: Well, the weapon is currently too weak. It takes too many shots to kill an enemy. They should upgrade the damage it deals and the problem will be solved.

Just the blaster attachment. The anti-armor and sniper attachments are good as is.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-06-2005, 5:49 PM
It was implied :xp:

They can't use the excuse that it's an SMG so it should be weak. It ain't an micro-uzi after all.
 Shok_Tinoktin
02-06-2005, 9:49 PM
 El Sitherino
02-07-2005, 5:29 AM
2 well placed shots to the head will take down the small trando's. I never ran out of ammo with the DC17.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
They have helmets too you know.

It takes a bit more then two shots to the head to kill a small trando with the DC17 SMG.
 El Sitherino
02-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I dunno, I've taken out quite a few with 2 well placed shots.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-07-2005, 11:01 AM
After trying it out, it takes around 3-4 headshots to kill an enemy without helmet.
Well placing your shots will help you save ammo. However, the crosshair isn't made for accuracy. Had they kept the standard +, it would have been better. Even the ironsight isn't very accurate.
 Nokill
02-08-2005, 5:36 AM
also the pistol is not realy good vs jetpacks only your knife it a easy way to let jetpacks explode only you can't always use it
 El Sitherino
02-08-2005, 5:44 AM
The pistol works fine for me. :\

Two shots to the side, then club.
 swphreak
02-08-2005, 7:14 AM
2 shots to the head and dieing works for me. They really need to make the primary gun you should use (the DCrifle) more powerful than the secondary handgun. It's like Halo, the handgun was mor epowerful and accurate than the machine gun.
 Ragnos
02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have an idea about how far into the game the demo takes place?
In the briefing in the beginning the clonetrooper says something like "at least this time we'll take em by suprise" or something don't exactly remember, but that indicates that this isnt your first mission in the game, which is pretty obious too.
 ZBomber
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I think the XBox demo is one of the first two missions, this might be later in the game (probably somewhere in the middle)
 Shok_Tinoktin
02-08-2005, 2:00 PM
With the pistol at close range, I prefer to club once, then shoot in the head once or twice. The clubbing usually knocks off the helmet and knocks them off balance, and the shot easily finishes 'em off.
 Usurpo
02-10-2005, 5:34 PM
Club 'em? Silly people! It easier to just sneek up behind them when your squadies are providing a distraction, and use the 'E' key for that knife thingy, Deffinately not clubbing, and much more fun. Don't you love how there is a little laser windshield wiper that clears the guts from your healmet?
 lukeiamyourdad
02-10-2005, 5:43 PM
You can't use the vibroblade with the pistol.
 Samnmax221
02-10-2005, 5:56 PM
LOve tht windshield wiper but It's kinda distracting during a fire fight
 tommygunner
02-12-2005, 4:28 PM
lol yea...even more when u need a better pixel shader...
 JDKnite188
02-14-2005, 5:08 PM
After playing the demo, it was a refresher. It reminded me of the beauties and intricacies of the best Star Wars FPS: Jedi Knight. In comparison to any other FPS out there, it didn't fall short at all. It had badass weaponry, crisp graphics, and a unique musical score (a nice touch considering that every Star Wars game basically rips from movie titles).

The squad element is impressive. Command is easy to manipulate, especially with given formations (Form up, secure area, recall) and suggested operations in the environment (hacking, demolition, sniping). Revive was the most astonishing aspect though; I love the distorted, hazy red mask view of the battle above.

The atmosphere was dark and intimidating. Awesome. The enemies were similarly cold. This quality in the setting and NPCs was a major setback to JO and JA: they were too cartoonish.

I can't wait for MP. I can't wait for this whole game. w00t. LEC gets a clap from me.

RC could be the FPS that will secure LEC's past reputation as a quality game producer.

Rating: 9/10
 Shok_Tinoktin
02-14-2005, 5:22 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
Revive was the most astonishing aspect though; I love the distorted, hazy red mask view of the battle above.

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_duck_1138/ReCom44.JPG)
 Drax Kreiger
02-14-2005, 8:01 PM
The one thing I will miss, though, is being able to cut off your opponet's arms.
 tommygunner
02-15-2005, 10:45 AM
lol yea ur right:D
 Nokill
02-16-2005, 5:35 AM
well is the blood not enuf :p
 lukeiamyourdad
02-16-2005, 4:26 PM
No amount of blood is enough.
 Kurgan
02-20-2005, 7:29 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Here's some pics I took at max settings (and yes, you can bind F12 or whatever to a screenshot key and the bmps appear in Gamedata/System/ just like UT).

Yes, I didn't bother to resize them so they are huge (like 160 kb's), only converted to JPEG. They are also fairly dark, but that's how you see them in-game.

Demo "Special" Weapons

Concussion Rifle (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/concussionrifle.jpg)
Wookiee Rocket Launcher (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/wookieerocket.jpg)
Trando "Array Gun" (shotgun) (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/trandoarrayshotgun.jpg)
Wookiee Bowcastor (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/bowcastor.jpg)
Geonosian Elite Gun (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/geonosianelite.jpg)
Trando heavy machinegun (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/heavymachinegun.jpg)

You can only carry one of the above weapons with you at a time. I don't think I've ever seen my squadmates use anything but standard trooper weapons.

Demo Trooper Weapons (standard)

Trooper Pistol (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/trooperpistol.jpg)
Trooper Rifle (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/trooperrifle.jpg)
Trooper Sniper Rifle (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/troopersniper.jpg)(Sniper) Scope view (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/troopersniperscope.jpg))
Trooper Anti-Armor (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/trooperantiarmor.jpg)

All weapons have reloading except the pistol, which recharges (infinite ammo) much like your first gun in Unreal. The grenades you toss don't seem to have variable throwing power or distance, just fire and forget (like SWBattlefront). The Sniper Rifle has two levels of zoom.

(PS: It's interesting how you can't heal the Wookiee's and they can only use melee attacks themselves)

Then you get to use that Trandoshan Turret that fires missiles, and you get four types of grenades. Thermal Detonators, electric shock ones, sonic grenades and I forget the other type. There's a Republic Gunship in the demo, but it's used in a cutscene, rather than drivable.

Your wrist blade only seems to work using the Trooper weapons, except the pistol. For the pistol and everything else you do a rifle butt or pistol whip attack which seems to be just as powerful, although a few of the bigger guns are slower.

If you're curious what your character looks like in third person, here he is (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/00020.jpg), and here (http://www.republiccommando.net/demo/pc/00025.jpg)

Fixed the broken links, and here's a pic of the Trando heavy machinegun! So that's all the demo weapons....
 tommygunner
02-21-2005, 1:22 PM
o that is cool
 SlicerDude
02-21-2005, 3:48 PM
I thought that the demo was great, from gameplay to graphics to sound. I was amazed at the variety, coolness, and attention to detail in the graphics, especially the special effects, but what impressed me the most was that on probably my 5th or 6th time through the demo some situations still played out differently, and the squadmates still had (hilarious) lines that I hadn't heard the previous times. You can have just as much fun just messing around with the game and your squad as you can simply playing the game through.

Easily missed detail: the concussion rifle's melee attack electrocutes the Trandos (even if they're already dead).
Page: 2 of 3