Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A cool riddle.

Page: 1 of 2
 IG-64
12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Riddle: A father and his son are driving to the ballgame when their car stalls on the tracks. In the distance, a train wistle blows a warning. Frantically, the father tries to start the engine, but to no avail. The train hits the car, kills the father and injures the son, who is soon in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and the operating room. As the boy is being prepared for surgery, the doctor walks in, expecting a routine case. However, on seeing the boy, the surgeon pales and mutters, "I can't operate on this boy. He's my son."

_____

Stuck?

Surgeons are not always men.

Edit: Notation: The boy does not have 2 fathers.
 KBell
12-22-2004, 10:23 AM
or......

The boy could have 2 fathers :o
 jebbers
12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
i gots one!

The seller doesn't need it.
The buyer doesn't use it.
The user doesn't see it.

what is it?

hint think death
 ET Warrior
12-22-2004, 10:41 AM
'twas his mother

and...........

A coffin

:dozey:
 Sam
12-22-2004, 11:16 AM
That was on the cosby show.

Nick@nite= teh win!
 Curt-Man
12-22-2004, 5:42 PM
i would use one form KotOR but this is LucasForums, so i won't, but i do have multiple ones:

1. what always end's everything?

2. Here on earth it is true, yesterday is always before today; but there is a place where yesterday always follows today. Where?

3.Why is the longest human nose on record only 11 inches long?

1. the letter G
2. In a dictionary
3. becuase if ti were 12 inches it would be a foot.
 Mike Windu
12-22-2004, 6:47 PM
2 coins add up to 15 cents. One of them is not a nickel.

:D
 Lady Jedi
12-22-2004, 6:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu

:D
Oh! I know this one.

It a dime and a nickel! One of them isn't a nickel. It's a dime. Heh. :D

How fun. :)
 ET Warrior
12-22-2004, 9:10 PM

They used that riddle in an episode of Scrubs.

/scrubs fanatic
 TK-8252
12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I hardely consider sexism "cool"...
 IG-64
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I hardely consider sexism "cool"...

Yes, I thought someone would come in and say that.

But the fact is, we can't help it. Our brains find patterns, such as doctors being males, and take subliminal shortcuts. Used here to our disadvantage. Most of the time when we hear surgeon or dostor we think guy, but if we train our brains not to and remind ourselves that there are female doctors we can be cured of our subliminal "sexism".

So you see, it's not the fact that we're all biased evil males, but it's just the fact that we usually see doctors being guys, so our brains take a subliminal shortcut.

Sexim would be if you said to yourself that all doctors should be males.
 Alegis
12-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Here's an easy one, what's wrong about this formula

Suppose: A=B

AІ=AB
AІ-BІ=AB-BІ
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B
2A=A
2=1
 Tyrion
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Alegis

AІ=AB
AІ-BІ=AB-BІ
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B
2A=A
2=1

The second line is false, let's say 2 is B.

4=4
4-4=0

You have to stop there.
 Alegis
12-23-2004, 2:56 AM
Lines 1-2 are completely correct.
 Lady Jedi
12-23-2004, 5:04 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
They used that riddle in an episode of Scrubs.

/scrubs fanatic
I know! I suck at riddles, but thanks to Scrubs, I nailed that one. Woot! :D

@IG: I didn't figure out that first one, so apparently it's not just guys that immediately assume male when the hear 'doctor' or 'surgeon'. Strange...
 GothiX
12-23-2004, 5:24 AM
Alegis, only use A, makes it more clear.

And I remember that one, my maths teacher showed it to me once. He also told me why it was wrong, but I can't remember that, exactly.
 LightNinja
12-23-2004, 5:44 AM
the last 2 ones are wrong:
A=B-B
A=0
2=0
impossible
 The Seeker
12-23-2004, 5:44 AM
As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with Seven Wives. Every wife had seven sacks. Every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kittens. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives, how many were going to St. Ives?

:p
 GothiX
12-23-2004, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by LightNinja
the last 2 ones are wrong:
A=B-B
A=0
2=0
impossible

Where do you get the impression that A = 2? In your example, A could as well be 0.
 Lady Jedi
12-23-2004, 5:56 AM
Originally posted by JediKnight_114
As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with Seven Wives. Every wife had seven sacks. Every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kittens. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives, how many were going to St. Ives?

one. only the narrator was going to st. ives.

Yeah, I saw Die Hard With a Vengeance, too, JK_114.

Nalukai
12-23-2004, 6:12 AM
Investigators found a man dead that had been hung in his den.

He was hung from one of 2 cieling fans in the room offset from the center... the first fanis 4 feet from the sliding door ,the other fan where he was found hanging from is 4 feet from the fireplace in the den.. investigators found no chair near him other than the recliner in the den (which is 6 feet away).... while they were hastilty ruling a homicide one detective looked down and noticed a pool of liquid underneath the human pinata and spurts out" this is no murder...this man killed himself..."

how did he do it?

ANOTHER ONE:

I crawl with 4 in the morning
I run with 2 in the afternoon
I walk with 3 in the evening

what am I?
 The Seeker
12-23-2004, 6:26 AM
Originally posted by Nalukai
Investigators found a man dead that had been hung in his den.

He was hung from one of 2 cieling fans in the room offset from the center... the first fanis 4 feet from the sliding door ,the other fan where he was found hanging from is 4 feet from the fireplace in the den.. investigators found no chair near him other than the recliner in the den (which is 6 feet away).... while they were hastilty ruling a homicide one detective looked down and noticed a pool of liquid underneath the human pinata and spurts out" this is no murder...this man killed himself..."

how did he do it?

He stood on a block of ice that melted after he was dead.
 Alegis
12-23-2004, 7:10 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Alegis, only use A, makes it more clear.
If I gave the answer already it would be more clear as well :p

Lightninja, of course 2=1 is incorrect. I already said the' formula was incorrect. In maths everything is correct so somewhere there must be a mistake, to lead to that wrong answer.

Don't work with numbers, they're unnecessary. It's actually quite easy, not even riddle-worthy :p
 Doomie
12-23-2004, 7:46 AM
crawl with 4 in the morning

what am I?

human.
 IG-64
12-23-2004, 7:50 AM
Originally posted by Nalukai
I crawl with 4 in the morning

what am I?

A horse?

Except a horse runs with 3 beats and walks with 2... Ah well, I tried.
 Mike Windu
12-23-2004, 8:15 AM

AІ=AB
AІ-BІ=AB-BІ
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B
2A=A
2=1

Heh, using that formula you can also prove that .999999999 = 1.

I'd say the 4th line is wrong? :indif:

And the Answer to : I crawl with 4 in the morning

what am I?

Is a Human. It's also the Sphinx' Riddle. :xp:
 ET Warrior
12-23-2004, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by JediKnight_114

And as for that math equation, the error lies in the fact that you have

(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B

You assume that you can cancel out (A-B) on both sides, however you have stated taht A = B and therefore (A-B) = 0

(A+B)/0 does NOT equal B/0.
 IG-64
12-23-2004, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by Lady Jedi
I know! I suck at riddles, but thanks to Scrubs, I nailed that one. Woot! :D

@IG: I didn't figure out that first one, so apparently it's not just guys that immediately assume male when the hear 'doctor' or 'surgeon'. Strange...

Read my 'splination, it works with men and women.
 Alegis
12-23-2004, 11:36 AM
You assume that you can cancel out (A-B) on both sides, however you have stated taht A = B and therefore (A-B) 0
Correctemundo! Dividing by zero is forbidden. No other correct answer.

Pfff I know all of these riddles already here. How about this one:

Use [spoiler] tags to answer it dangit!

You have a bunch of dwarfes working in a mine. The dwarfes wear RED OR BLUE hats. They do not know which colour their hat is. They work in the mine, they do not communicate which other in any way nor see their own hat colour (in water reflection). When it's time to leave they exit the mine and divide in 2 groups (hat colour). How is this possible considering they do not know their own hat colour
 Mike Windu
12-23-2004, 6:02 PM
taht

Senor Spelling-Nazi has spelled "that" incorrectly.

:xp:

And Alegis: they see the color in their miner friend's eye? *shrugs*
 Joetheeskimo
12-23-2004, 6:35 PM
Since this has become a post-your-riddle thread, I've got one :D

What is greater than God?
What is worse than Satan?
The homeless people have it,
The wealthy people lack it,
Eat too much of it and you die...

WHAT IS IT?

I have a feeling this is old and wellknown, so I'll wait until a few people guess before giving the answer.

Originally posted by IG-64
Yes, I thought someone would come in and say that.

But the fact is, we can't help it. Our brains find patterns, such as doctors being males, and take subliminal shortcuts. Used here to our disadvantage. Most of the time when we hear surgeon or dostor we think guy, but if we train our brains not to and remind ourselves that there are female doctors we can be cured of our subliminal "sexism".

So you see, it's not the fact that we're all biased evil males, but it's just the fact that we usually see doctors being guys, so our brains take a subliminal shortcut.

Sexim would be if you said to yourself that all doctors should be males.

Not only that, but your mind is focused on the fact that the dad is dead, so you forget the boy could have a mother as well. I don't think it's a matter of sexism.
 Lady Jedi
12-23-2004, 6:52 PM
@IG: This quote is what brought about my comment about how I did the same thing.
See? :)

What is greater than God?
What is worse than Satan?
The homeless people have it,
The wealthy people lack it,
Eat too much of it and you die...

WHAT IS IT?
Some sort of drug? Heroin, marijuana? I don't know. :confused:
 Joetheeskimo
12-23-2004, 7:23 PM
@IG: This quote is what brought about my comment about how I did the same thing.

Nope. Think outisde the box. Think about something that's so obvious, you wouldn't guess it. :D

I might enjoy this :xp:
 The Seeker
12-23-2004, 7:27 PM
time?
 Boba Rhett
12-23-2004, 7:37 PM
I can't believe nobody has gotten it. :indif: It's only just about the oldest riddle I've ever heard. :xp:

Prepare to hit yourself. Hard.

NOTHING.
 The Seeker
12-23-2004, 7:39 PM
*hits self. Hard* Stupid Stupid Stupid. :D Meh, I was close
 Captain Wilson
12-23-2004, 8:31 PM

AІ=AB
AІ-BІ=AB-BІ
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B
2A=A
2=1

Mistake in bold. Tis a good one but you carnt cancel out when a value has a possable value of zero. If i could rember the code for strike out i could show whats happened there. Plus you can prove it doesnt work with numbers as well. try it with A=1 and B=1, its much eaier to see

Amazing no one saw it :p (Edit: Bugger jsu noticed ET Got it. Git. Must rember to read rest of thread before jumping to the end)
 ET Warrior
12-23-2004, 9:49 PM
Senor Spelling-Nazi has spelled "that" incorrectly.

There's a strong difference between a mis-spelling and a mis-typing. :p
 Alegis
12-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Captain Wilson
Amazing no one saw it
Indeed :) well except ET and you.

And Alegis: they see the color in their miner friend's eye? *shrugs*
No, they do NOT see/know their own hat colour.
 Joetheeskimo
12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
I can't believe nobody has gotten it. :indif: It's only just about the oldest riddle I've ever heard. :xp:

Prepare to hit yourself. Hard.

NOTHING.

Ding! Ding! Ding! :D
 Doomie
12-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Figured em all out, except the dwarf one... I heard a riddle like htat once, but i forgot the answer...

Wait, when they go outside, it's not dark anymore, so they can see eachother's hat color, and tell eachother where to stand?

Tell me if I'm right.
 Tyrion
12-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Regarding the dwarf one-

They all wear the same color hat, as it's Red or Blue. Doesn't mean that there have to be both hats in the mine, just that they either wear red or blue.
 IG-64
12-24-2004, 4:22 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Regarding the dwarf one-

They all wear the same color hat, as it's Red or Blue. Doesn't mean that there have to be both hats in the mine, just that they either wear red or blue.

Then how could they divide in 2 groups of hat color if they all wear the same color hat?

That was concerning us males and the sexism comment. It works for female also. :)
 Alegis
12-24-2004, 4:29 AM
Originally posted by Doomie
Tell me if I'm right.
While they can see each others hat, they do not communicate which each other in ANY way.

And yes, not all of them wear the same coloured hat
 Mike Windu
12-24-2004, 8:12 AM
Indeed :) well except ET and you. and Mike Windu

The Miner riddle: Their commander/chief tells them where to go?
 Captain Wilson
12-24-2004, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alegis
Indeed :) well except ET and you.

i noticed after posting :P
 Doomie
12-25-2004, 2:20 AM
Wait, the dwarfs - do they know how many of them have a certain hat color? Or are there exectly the same amount of red and blue hats, and they know it?

cause if theyt'd know how many ahts of a certain color there are, they could divide into groups by looking around...
 Alegis
12-25-2004, 4:31 AM
Mike, no communication in any form includes the most obvious one: telling something ;)

They do know the colour of the hat of the other dwarfs but not themselves. The amount is irrelevant

Close doomie, but how exactly. They come out the mine one by one and immediately form 2 groups.
 Doomie
12-25-2004, 5:43 AM
Close doomie, but how exactly. They come out the mine one by one and immediately form 2 groups.

Well, i thought, if they'd know there are, say, thirty dwarves, and they also know exactly half of them has blue hats, than they could count the other group, and then the ones in their own group and decide wether or not they belong in their group...

But that's not it.
 Mike Windu
12-25-2004, 8:27 AM
they do not communicate which other in any way

But your riddle does not say no communication in any form Alegis.

It says they do not communicate with each other. Their chief is not part of the mining force.

Page: 1 of 2