Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A cool riddle.

Page: 2 of 2
 El Sitherino
12-25-2004, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
(riddle) jesus christ I heard that riddle about 12 years ago.
 Alegis
12-25-2004, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
But your riddle does not say no communication in any form Alegis.

It says they do not communicate with each other. Their chief is not part of the mining force.

Gaaah as i said before this aint a trick question but rather find a 'way' to form them groups. No communication, period :p

Hmm another, this is one where you ask questions in order to find 'the story':

A man is found dead hanging in a tree (fell in it, obviously)with only his swimming trunks on. Find the story behind it.
 Lady Jedi
12-25-2004, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Alegis
Gaaah as i said before this aint a trick question but rather find a 'way' to form them groups. No communication, period :p

A man is found dead hanging in a tree (fell in it, obviously)with only his swimming trunks on. Find the story behind it.

umm. parasailing accident? amateur cliff diver? victim of a cruel prank? :D

and the dwarves.
I don't know! give me the dang answer! I'm bad at riddles and I can't get it out of my head! AHHHHHHHHHH!!... anyway, perhaps they are not separating into groups of hat coulor on purpose. maybe half of the dwarves live in one direction, while the others live in another direction, they are merely going home, and their hats just happen to match...or do they?
 IG-64
12-25-2004, 7:08 PM

Ooo, I saw this on mythbusters. But since I cheated, i'll use spoiler tags.

He was picked up by an airplane that was putting out forest fires with water that the guy was swimming in.
 Elijah
12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Dwarves...

The dwarves work in 2 different mines, or perhaps the same mines, but different sides, with different enterances/exits
 Alegis
12-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Correct IG.

And lady, the system works everytime, it aint just coincidence ;)

Elijah, same mine, same place where they divide in 2 groups one dwarf at a time. They walk out the mine and immediately join their group, how?

For those who can't wait for the answer (looking for it is fun though)
The first one walks out and just stands anywhere. The second walks out and stands next to him. Now the third one will stand in-between them IF they have different hats, if they got the same he will stand next to them. 4th does the same, go stand in-between the different colours. Tadaa. Not an easy one indeed, took me some time like "the man in the tree"
 IG-64
12-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Correct IG.

And lady, the system works everytime, it aint just coincidence ;)

Elijah, same mine, same place where they divide in 2 groups one dwarf at a time. They walk out the mine and immediately join their group, how?

For those who can't wait for the answer (looking for it is fun though)
The first one walks out and just stands anywhere. The second walks out and stands next to him. Now the third one will stand in-between them IF they have different hats, if they got the same he will stand next to them. 4th does the same, go stand in-between the different colours. Tadaa. Not an easy one indeed, took me some time like "the man in the tree"

I figured it out then, I just wasn't sure and didn't know how to explain it. Anyways, go me! :D
 TheOutrider
12-28-2004, 9:25 PM
12 horse riders drive buy a pear tree with 12 pears. Each takes one and leaves 11 hanging. How is that possible?

Ill let you figure this one out, its as old as dirt.

Edit: heres another to keep you all busy

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a big one.

Michael J. Fox has a small one.

Madonna doesn't have one.

The Pope has one but doesn't use it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince won't admit that he has one.

Clinton uses his all the time.

What is it?
 Alegis
12-30-2004, 2:13 AM
Outrider;
their last name?
 Pad
12-30-2004, 2:25 AM
A rather easy one:

You are in a room with only 3 switches. One of those switches can make a lamp work in the next room, which you canґt see. You can only look once in the next room to tell which switch works.

How can you accurately say which switch is the right one?
 IG-64
12-30-2004, 2:38 AM
turn on 2 switches, look, if it's off it's the one you didn't switch, if it's on then..... you're screwed? :D
 Kurgan
12-30-2004, 2:38 AM
Originally posted by Pad
A rather easy one:

You are in a room with only 3 switches. One of those switches can make a lamp work in the next room, which you canґt see. You can only look once in the next room to tell which switch works.

How can you accurately say which switch is the right one?

This is probably wrong, but...

Have another person stand in the next room and yell out to you when the lamp goes on. Then it's simple process of elimination.
 Doomie
12-30-2004, 2:50 AM
the lamp riddle:
first, throw the first switch. Then turn it off again. Then throw the second switch. Go out and look. If the lamp is off, but it's hot, the first switch was right. if it's on, the second was right, and otherwise, the third one is the right one.

Yes, i already knew this one :D

The pear tree riddle:

I don't know if this is right, but they all buy a pear tree, it doesnt say they buy one pear tree for all of them. So each tree has 12 pears, and they all take one, leaving 11 pears on each tree. Correct?

Alright, sorry for bumping this thread, and sorry for double-posting, but i recently heard a riddle that's driving me nuts.

here it is: Two guys go buy a bike for $30. Then, the boss sees they paid $5 too much, and sends someone to return them the five bucks. But this person steals two dollars, and hands the guys the remaining three dollars. So far, everything fits.

But: They both paid $15, they both get $1,50 back, so they both eventually pay $13,50. $13,50 x 2 = $27. That other guy stole two dollars. 27 + 2 = $29. Where'd the frickin last dollar go? what's wrong with the calculation?

And to avoid trouble, i'll edit this post with my last as soon as anyone answers.
 Breton
01-05-2005, 7:46 AM
It's a confusing way to calculate, because of subtractions that should have been additions and vica versa. You'd want to calculate it in a different way, for instance:

$30 (what they paid) + $3 (what they got back) + $2 (what the guy stole) = $35, which is the $30 they paid plus the $5 the manager sent back.

Or better yet, the distribution at the end of the story:

- The manager got the $30 they paid, he sent back $5, he now has 25$
- The two guys got $3 back
- The thief took $2 for himself
- $25 + $3 + $2 = $30

What's wrong with the calculation in the riddle, is that $1 from those $13,50 they paid each, was the same money that went to the thief. They paid $12,50 each to the manager, $1 each to the thief, and now has $1,50 each left in their hands. The total amount of money is ($12,50 + $1 + $1,50) x 2 = $30.

So that last dollar never existed, it was just due to some wrong calculations.

I'm not very good at explaining that stuff, but I hope you understood some of it.
 ET Warrior
01-05-2005, 1:02 PM
You know, double posting is really not a bad thing if there's been a reasonable stretch between the posts and the thread has fallen down towards the bottom or even off the page ;)

:)
 TheOutrider
01-19-2005, 5:40 PM
To Alegis: Correct

To Doomie: Incorrect, each is a person

Ok this one is easy but if you read it fast thats what stumps ya.

Your in a race. You pass the person in 2nd place. What place are you in?

Oh and...

what do I have in my pocket?

Im not wearing pockets

How many letters are in the alphabet?

Are you smart, if you think so spell it

A man hired another man to help him. The Man carried a sack of grain. The hired man carried 2 sacks. The Man carried a heavier load. How is that possible.
 ET Warrior
01-19-2005, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by TheOutrider
Your in a race. You pass the person in 2nd place. What place are you in?
second

How many letters are in the alphabet?

Are you smart, if you think so spell it

it

A man hired another man to help him. The Man carried a sack of grain. The hired man carried 2 sacks. The Man carried a heavier load. How is that possible.

The hired man was carrying empty sacks.
 TheOutrider
01-19-2005, 5:55 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
second

it

The hired man was carrying empty sacks. You are amazing and correct
 ET Warrior
01-19-2005, 5:57 PM
You are amazing and attractive

Yes yes, this I know :D
 Kain
01-19-2005, 11:13 PM
You're driving a bus. At the first stop you pick up 2 kids. At the 2nd stop you pick up 7 more. At the 3rd stop, you drop off 8. At the 4th stop you pick up 4. At the 5th stop you pick up 1. At the 6th stop you pick up 9. At the 7th stop you pick up 3. At the 8th stop, you drop off 12. What color are the busdriver's eyes?
 IG-64
01-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Kain
You're driving a bus. At the first stop you pick up 2 kids. At the 2nd stop you pick up 7 more. At the 3rd stop, you drop off 8. At the 4th stop you pick up 4. At the 5th stop you pick up 1. At the 6th stop you pick up 9. At the 7th stop you pick up 3. At the 8th stop, you drop off 12. What color are the busdriver's eyes?

Same color as mine, cause i'm the one driving the bus. :p
 ET Warrior
01-20-2005, 5:46 AM
Some of these riddles don't work well when you can read them, they're better told, because you can forget what was said at the beginning, when it's written down you just look back up at it.
 RpTheHotrod
01-22-2005, 7:18 AM
Here's an easy one, what's wrong about this formula

Suppose: A=B

AІ=AB
AІ-BІ=AB-BІ
(A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B)
A+B=B
2A=A
2=1

Dunno if someone answered yet but...

A+B=B is wrong. A and B MUST be able to substitute any number...so I'll use 2.

2І= 2 x 2 4 = 4
2І-2І= (2 x 2) - 2І 0 = 0
(2+2)(2-2)=2(2-2) 0 = 0
2 + 2 = 2 *WRONG*
2 x 2= 2 (WRONG*
2=1 *WRONG*
 ET Warrior
01-22-2005, 7:33 AM
Well, it was answered, and we know that is where things are wrong, but the trick it to point out the math flaw. And the math flaw is where you take (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B) and divide by (A-B) on both sides to cancel them out. You could do that, except A = B so A - B = 0 and you cannot divide by 0 :)
 IG-64
01-22-2005, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Some of these riddles don't work well when you can read them, they're better told, because you can forget what was said at the beginning, when it's written down you just look back up at it.

Maybe, but he did say you the whole time, maybe he told it wrong or something...

Btw, one of the longest living threads i've made.
 ET Warrior
01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Maybe, but he did say you the whole time, maybe he told it wrong or something...

No, that's the riddle, but when you say it, most people don't remember at the beginning that YOU are driving the bus.

He told it just fine.
 TiE23
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Some of you might have heard this...

What is it?
The word has 7 letters...
Preceded God...
Is greater than God...
More evil than the Devil...
All poor people have it...
Rich people need it...
If you eat it, -you will die...

Think about it.
80% of kindergarteners got this.
5% of Stanford graduates got this.

TiE
 Doomie
01-22-2005, 12:03 PM
It's nothing.
 Joetheeskimo
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
You are amazing and correct

Ah, actually those riddles were very old and very simple :xp:

What is it?
The word has 7 letters...
Preceded God...
Is greater than God...
More evil than the Devil...
All poor people have it...
Rich people need it...
If you eat it, -you will die...

Dude, read the whole thread, I posted this exact riddle on the first page. It's nothing.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a big one.

Michael J. Fox has a small one.

Madonna doesn't have one.

The Pope has one but doesn't use it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Prince won't admit that he has one.

Clinton uses his all the time.

I was going to guess a dick...:eek:

It would actually work :D Ahnold has a big one, Fox has a small one, Madonna doesn't have one cuz she's female...Clinton uses his a ton alright :xp:
Page: 2 of 2