Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help! Losing items with Custom NPC

Page: 1 of 1
 MysticTeal96
12-06-2004, 7:09 AM
I've been going through the "How to recruit a custom NPC in less than 10 steps" and I successfully created a recruitable Tariga (the sith guy that speaks twi'lek)! Anyway, once I recruit him, level him up and equip him I go to a new area and I have to re-level him up and re-equip him. What's even worse is that anything I equiped him with disappears when I go to the new area.
I would think this is a common *Newb* problem but I searched the threads and came up empty. Someone please help.

P.S. I am using the exact codes used in the tutorial.
 Darth333
12-06-2004, 7:36 AM
I am not sure what causes that but what tag did you put in your .utc file? Are you using a custom tag or that of an existing npc?
 MysticTeal96
12-06-2004, 8:15 AM
I am just following the tutorial, and I am replacing Mission, so it said to type in Mission. Here is the exerpt.

i) go to the tag field: type the tag of the npc you want to replace: (don't use a custom tag or the game will crash when it doesn't find the original npc when it was supposed to talk or do something )

T3M4: T3M4
Canderous: Cand
Mission: Mission
Jolee: Jolee
Juhani: Juhani
HK-47: HK47
Bastila: Bastila
Carth: Carth
Zaalbar: Zaalbar

Is the leveling up also controlled by the utc file? If so then that might be where I am going wrong. Unless there is another file that remembers the currently equiped itmes, and levels/feats.
 Darkkender
12-06-2004, 8:16 AM
this is actually a glitch that seems to happen on occasions even on long time old recruits I have had this problem in the past with all of them out there on occasion. alot of times this is caused by your system memory cache not being high enough or refreshed so the new data being stored in the cache is not being updated and refreshed. do as Darth suggests but also do a complete shut down restart 2-3 times as well as making sure that you bump up your virtual memory this has worked for me in the past.
 MysticTeal96
12-06-2004, 8:22 AM
Thanks Darth333 and Darkender, I'll try the good ol' reboot trick and see if that works. I'll also check the cache and virtual mem.
If it works then I am onto New Area Creation...Oooooo movin' up in the world!
 Darkkender
12-06-2004, 8:27 AM
stupid question you do have 2 seperate utc files don't you?
 MysticTeal96
12-06-2004, 9:41 AM
I'm confused darkender, but I think I only need one "custom" .utc because the NPC I am talking to in the game already has his own .utc, or am I wrong (I am still new at this).

My understanding is that if I need to spawn the npc I need a .utc and if I want to recruit I need a different named .utc is that correct?
 Darkkender
12-06-2004, 9:57 AM
as long as in the long run there are 2 utc's that is what matters the most. one is yours in the party the other is before being in the party. you also need to make sure your recruit scripts are recruiting the correct utc file or you will get some of your errors above.
 MysticTeal96
12-06-2004, 10:28 AM
I think it is all good, I am recruiting "my NPC" and destroying the "regular NPC" at the end of the conversation. I just don't know the mechanism I need to check to make sure what leveling up options I choose stay in effect when I go to a new area, and the same with the equipment.
Is it just controlled by the .utc's and the script?
Page: 1 of 1