Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bush got OWNED!!! (Presidential Debate)

Page: 1 of 2
 Acrylic
09-30-2004, 6:56 PM
In the debate tonight!

From MSNBC's Hardball Website (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/) , poll results....

Who won the debate?

* 50147 responses

Pres. Bush
27%

Sen. Kerry
73%

Okay, I watched the debate, and I personally thought Kerry did a superb job. Bush on the other hand....bad job. Really bad. With the silences and not staying on subject. I dont like him. If I was old enough to vote, Id vote for Kerry.

Now, if you didn't watch the debate, DO NOT post your views on this. I only want replies of people that watched it.

EDIT - Added link.

EDIT AGAIN - Well, more people voted. Its at 103,000+ votes. And still, Kerry is at 73%!!!!
 BongoBob
09-30-2004, 7:04 PM
bad idea acrylic.

This is just gonna become a flamefest.

:(
 RoxStar
09-30-2004, 7:06 PM
Well... my dad listened tot he debate on the radio and I watched it on PBS. I would say that Kerry was very collected and focused. Bush seemed mroe relaxed, but, my dad who listened to it on the radio thought that they both did around the same with a few minor ums, and ahhs. But some of the long silences were awkward.

I'd say no one won, it just added to the tension.

By the way, did anyone notice that the networks didn't follow the 30-odd page paper that was sritten for a code of conduct?
 Mike Windu
09-30-2004, 7:09 PM
Especially since the title of the thread is "Bush got OWNED!!!"

Gotta be somebody here that don't like that. O_o

There's always the Senate Chambers I suppose, SkinWalker's getting a little lonely over there :xp:

Personally, I think Kerry did great. Bush was terrible, stuttered so many times, didn't have his act together at all.

"Smashing! Yay capitalism!" ~Austin Powers
 CapNColostomy
09-30-2004, 7:12 PM
I watched it, and I disagree. I thought Bush did a fine job pushing Kerrys nose into his own poopy, and pointing out his flip flopping. That said, I am old enough to vote, but plan on voting for neither, but instead doing something more constructive on election day, like watching my toe nails grow.
 Tyrion
09-30-2004, 7:21 PM
I thought Kerry did an alright job, Bush less so but certainly not horrible. I watched the CNN coverage though; in the C-SPAN one there was split-screen coverage and I heard that Bush was alot more...childish in body language usage. Still, both did make some good points(Kerry more so than Bush, however), and ultimately I like Kerry more after this debate.
 Acrylic
09-30-2004, 7:23 PM
Yes, maybe if a mod could move this to the Senate Chambers? I want good responses. And so far, Ive gotten some great responses. Thanks for keeping this thread on topic.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
09-30-2004, 7:24 PM
I whatched it... Don't know why. Because all it is when you boil right down to it, is a "You smell!" or, "You're ugly, your whole family is ugly!" and another, "You are stupid and you suck!".

These are mostly topics we all know about, if we read the paper, watch the news or none of the above. They just bicker back and forth until someone messes up his grammar by confusing words or places. And then they get deducted. Like a freakin school spelling bee.

So IMO, neither of them did well. Because all it was about was them repeating themselves. And we were fed lies about what each would do for the war. It's in the past. There is no all powerful solution that isn't going to hurt someone in the world.
Decisions are made, things are sacrificed. End Of Story.

Now you can get carpul tunnel flaming me all you want. I'm not going to listen.
 wassup
09-30-2004, 7:34 PM
It was predictable, but I guess mostly because of the bland and "softcore" nature of the questions. Both sides did a decent job of attacking and defending on positions and arguments. Both sides could have been more convincing and revealing in a more open-ended debate, but unfortunately that won't happen.
 manoman81
09-30-2004, 7:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave Grohl
I'd say no one won, it just added to the tension.

I fully agree.

I am completely undecided as to whom I am going to vote for.

The way that Bush was talking, it sounded like he will continue to police the world like it is the job of the US. I really don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but we have enough problems here of our that we need to take care of without solving the rest of the world's problems.

I also know that the US cannot be an isolationist country. So, we have to be a world player.

What I didn't like about Kerry was that he just kept blaming Bush for everything without giving a solid plan for what he is going to do. Kerry is also promising too much I think. I don't know if this is still part of his plan but he said a while ago that he will give so much money to college students that volunteer. First, where is the money going to come from? Second, who's going to see it? If they're lucky, the younger people (fresman level in high school and younger) may see it by the time they get to college. Now, he's promising to get all of the free floating nuclear material from Russia contained in 4 years.

Again, I really don't know. Do i think Bush got owned? No. But neither canidate has my vote.
 Feanaro
09-30-2004, 8:44 PM
I'd say it was a good debate. I finally got to hear what their stances on certain things from their OWN mouths. Although i can't depict a clear winner. I think they both did a good job. Both were very polite to each other which was nice to see.
I thought Kerry did an alright job, Bush less so but certainly not horrible. I watched the CNN coverage though; in the C-SPAN one there was split-screen coverage and I heard that Bush was alot more...childish in body language usage.
I kind of thought Kerry looked a little....arrogant when Bush was talking. I had a hard time looking at Bush while Kerry was talking, he kept blinking, a lot.
 Tyrion
09-30-2004, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by Feanaro

I kind of thought Kerry looked a little....arrogant when Bush was talking. I had a hard time looking at Bush while Kerry was talking, he kept blinking, a lot.

I laughed everytime Kerry grinned like a chesire cat while Bush was talking, though. :p
 ET Warrior
09-30-2004, 9:56 PM
I thought the entire thing was funny...though I think Kerry did a better job, Bush seemed to have a hard time with the big words :xp:

My favorite part was when Bush was talking about something or other, and he made a comment about the american people, and broke off midsentence, like he was correcting himself but he replaced american people with "I". I just had this image of Bush standing up on his podium and shouting "I AM AMERICA! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

I laughed out loud. :D
 Kain
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Hm...watching a political debate or coming here to read the funny things. Yea, I'll stick to the swamp.
 Astrotoy7
10-01-2004, 2:22 AM
astro will be most pleased if GW(aka 'President Chicken-Hawk') does not get re-elected .... :D

same goes for our prime minister here in Oz, next saturday is his day of judgement ... hope that prick loses too :D

mtfbwya
 LightNinja
10-01-2004, 4:42 AM
im not american so i dont care who wins :D, but i prefer Kerry
 ckcsaber
10-01-2004, 5:57 AM
Bush did a fairly good job. He spoke suprisingly well, and didn't really have too much trouble speaking except for some extended pauses. He did blink....a lot.

Kerry was not too much of a suprise. Most of the same ol' jabs and slashes he usually makes. Nothing really new. Bush did point out his tendancy to "flip flop" though.

If anyone got pwned, I'd say it was Bush's daughters. That comment Kerry made about "seeing them in the media" just came off with a negative "feel". XD
 Pie™
10-01-2004, 6:31 AM
Watched it at school, and Bush did a good job entertaining me :p

I don't really like either of them, but I'd rather see Kerry get elected than Bush, he seems more... professional :)
 Rogue15
10-01-2004, 7:11 AM
I'm voting for Bush. At least this is a war worth fighting for.
 toms
10-01-2004, 7:36 AM
I'm not in the US, so i didn't watch, but i did see a story a few days back about how these things can have a big effect on the results. And also how people's perception on TV and Radio can be totally different. (Apparently TV viewers thought Kennedy was much better than nixon, but radio listeners thought the opposite. )

I posted a link in the senate to an organisation that were asking young people to ask "unasked" questions to pose to bush and kerry... Its too late for suggesting questions, but they are supposed to post their responses on the 19th Oct. It might be worth checking out if you want answers to some real questions, rather than repeats of rhetoric. It should be a lot harder for them to worm their way out of answering for one thing...

http://youthdebate.newvotersproject.org/slashdot)
 Captain Wilson
10-01-2004, 8:34 AM
Is ther anywahere i can get a copy of debate?
 Mex
10-01-2004, 9:42 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
I'm voting for Bush. At least this is a war worth fighting for.

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. Oh man.

Erm. I say Americans should vote Kerry.
 Elijah
10-01-2004, 9:44 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
I'm voting for Bush. At least this is a war worth fighting for. well at least we still have afew people who can see past the medias BS.
 Hermie
10-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Best humor program Ive seen this year. :D
 swphreak
10-01-2004, 11:42 AM
It may have been a war worth fighting for, but Bush went about it all wrong.

I thought Bush got owned in that debate. He was looking like an idiot while Kerry opened a can of whoopass.

People say Kerry is also an idiot, but of the 2 idiots: Kerry > Bush
 El Sitherino
10-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Bush got schooled plain and simple.
 acdcfanbill
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Z, there are a lot of people who see past the media's bs. most prob keep their mouth shut cause the anti-bush party have been out on parade. ;) with any heated discussion, i'm sure there are a lot of people on both sides who keep quite because they feel no need to defend their personal beliefs and refuse to change and jump on the bandwagon for whatever anti-(new terrible thing) group has just popped up.
 PR-0927
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
In the debate tonight!

From MSNBC's Hardball Website (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/) , poll results....

Who won the debate?

* 50147 responses

Pres. Bush
27%

Sen. Kerry
73%

Okay, I watched the debate, and I personally thought Kerry did a superb job. Bush on the other hand....bad job. Really bad. With the silences and not staying on subject. I dont like him. If I was old enough to vote, Id vote for Kerry.

Now, if you didn't watch the debate, DO NOT post your views on this. I only want replies of people that watched it.

EDIT - Added link.

EDIT AGAIN - Well, more people voted. Its at 103,000+ votes. And still, Kerry is at 73%!!!!

Word, I hate Bush!!

:fett:
 RpTheHotrod
10-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Something I found.

President Bush and Sen. John F. Kerry made few major factual errors in last night's debate, although on occasion they stretched the truth or left out inconvenient facts — or may have confused viewers as they spoke in policy shorthand.

Bush, for instance, hailed the coming presidential election in Afghanistan, saying that the fact that 10 million people had registered to vote was a "phenomenal statistic." But Human Rights Watch this week said that figure was inaccurate because of multiple registration of many voters. In a lengthy report, the respected organization also documented how human rights abuses are fueling a pervasive atmosphere of repression and fear in many parts of the country, with voters in many areas having little faith in the secrecy of the balloting and often facing threats and bribes from militia factions.

Kerry repeatedly stated that U.S. forces allowed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden to escape during the battle at Tora Bora in 2001 because the administration "outsourced" the task to Afghan militia leaders. This probably overstates the case — it is unclear if bin Laden was at Tora Bora — but it is correct that the Pentagon relied on Afghan proxy forces in an effort to minimize the potential loss of U.S. military lives.

After the Tora Bora fight, as local Afghan militias began withdrawing, considering their part of the war over, top Pentagon authorities appeared ready to send hundreds of conventional ground forces into the White Mountains to press the search for bin Laden and associates. That plan was nixed in favor of offers of money, weapons and cold-weather clothing to sustain Afghan cooperation.

The two men also disputed whether former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein would have been stronger if the United States had not launched an invasion. This is a question that will be long debated by historians, and the answer may never be clear. Bush said it was necessary to disarm Hussein — but the Bush administration invaded Iraq because it believed Hussein was concealing stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction and no such weapons have ever been found. Some post-invasion reports have argued that Hussein retained the capability to restart his weapons programs, but many experts consider that doubtful as long as he remained under U.N. sanctions and inspections.

Leap of faith
However, when Kerry says Hussein would have been continually weakened, he is making a leap of faith that the U.N. Security Council would have been willing to continue a sanctions regime that was increasingly unpopular with key nations.

Kerry suggested that the United States has spent $200 billion on Iraq, largely because it supplied the bulk of the troops. This is an exaggeration, because it combines the amount already spent — about $120 billion — with money that is expected to be spent in the coming year or requested by the administration.

But Bush also made an error when he corrected Kerry to say he forgot to mention Poland supplied forces when the invasion began. Kerry said there were three countries —Great Britain, Australia and the United States — and Bush said, "actually he forgot Poland."

Poland later supplied troops, and actually commanded a zone of Iraq. But they were not part of the original ground invasion. And although Bush said there are 30 countries in the coalition, he neglected to say that about a half dozen countries have withdrawn their troops in recent months.

‘Pottery Barn rule’
At another point, Kerry said "Secretary of State Colin Powell told this president the Pottery Barn rule: if you break it, you fix it." This anecdote comes from Bob Woodward's book, "Plan of Attack," but actually, Woodward reported that Powell privately talked with aides about the rule that if "you break it, you own it." He did not say this to the president — and it turned out Pottery Barn does not have such a rule.

On North Korea, Bush charged that Kerry's proposal to have direct talks with North Korea would end the six-nation diplomacy that the administration has pursued over Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions. Kerry has said he would continue the six-party talks as well, but Bush said direct talks with North Korea would drive away China, a key player in the negotiations.

But each of the other four countries in the talks have held direct talks with North Korea during the six-party process — and China has repeatedly asked the Bush administration to talk directly with North Korea. Moreover, the Bush administration has talked directly to North Korean diplomats on the sidelines of the six-party talks, and Powell met with his North Korean counterpart over the summer.
 Acrylic
10-01-2004, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Bush got schooled plain and simple.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:)
 Redwing
10-01-2004, 2:00 PM
Watched the whole thing (well okay I missed a couple minutes in total, but I had to go to the bathroom ;))

I don't think either one got 'schooled'. I do think this was good for Kerry, though, because it gave his side of things some much-needed clarity.

As Bush said at one point in the debate, he doesn't have much new to say. (Paraphrasing here)

I'm voting for Kerry anyway, because of Bush's BS with the constitutional amendment aimed to fire up his conservative fundamentalist voter base who equate being Christian with being Republican. (And don't get me started on his extremist anti-gay agenda. Here's hoping the one million gays who voted for Bush last election take a big chunk out of his votes this time around.)

But anyway, after last night, I do see Kerry as a better choice overall than I did before.

I'd say the debate was a tie, but that Kerry came out on top in terms of achievement.
 El Sitherino
10-01-2004, 2:03 PM
I would like to thank RP for posting the fact checks, you just took a lot of work off my schedule that I was prepared to post. XD

Kudos to you sir.
 Reborn Outcast
10-01-2004, 2:57 PM
Did anyone hear Bush's quote:

"The only thing consistant about my opponent is his inconsistancy."

Now, I like Bush but I was embarassed over this statement and I was just watching it on TV... It sounded kind of childish, as if he didn't know what to say.

All in all, Kerry is the better public speaker, but Bush made some good points.
 Mex
10-01-2004, 2:57 PM
The president himself awnsers a question on a webcomic!

http://www.weaselsden.net/archive/2004-09-08.php)
 swphreak
10-01-2004, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
well at least we still have afew people who can see past the medias BS.

Oh, because I don't like Bush, I'm unable to see past the media's Bull****?

I don't even pay attention to the media. I formed my own opinion from watching the live debate. And that opinion was that Bush is an idiot.
 RoxStar
10-01-2004, 4:38 PM
"If you want a better economy, fire a democrat."
well at least we still have afew people who can see past the medias BS.

Sure you do.
 El Sitherino
10-01-2004, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Oh, because I don't like Bush, I'm unable to see past the media's Bull****?

I don't even pay attention to the media. I formed my own opinion from watching the live debate. And that opinion was that Bush is an idiot. werd.

XD @ dave. :D!
 RpTheHotrod
10-01-2004, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I would like to thank RP for posting the fact checks, you just took a lot of work off my schedule that I was prepared to post. XD

Kudos to you sir.

No problem :D That's what I'm here for.

Overall, Kerry is a much better speaker...but bush did make some very good points.
 Elijah
10-01-2004, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave Grohl
Sure you do. The media is almost entirely democratic, so I dont see what point you where attempting to make.
 Acrylic
10-01-2004, 5:44 PM
Updated results...

Who won the debate?

2384674 responses

Pres. Bush

39%

Sen. Kerry
61%
 El Sitherino
10-01-2004, 5:53 PM
The media is almost entirely democratic, so I dont see what point you where attempting to make. not really, fox, nbc, and abc all have very strong ties with Bush and Co. the only ones that are even slightly liberal are cbs and cnn.
 manoman81
10-02-2004, 6:03 AM
Tell you the truth, I can't watch any of the "real" news stations. They're all biased one way or another. So...

I watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart at 11:00 pm on Comedy Central. :emodanc:

Seriously, it's pretty sad when I can get better news from that show than any other station.

I was in no way paid for the above ad.
 acdcfanbill
10-02-2004, 8:31 AM
i loved that clip the Daily show had on a few days back where they showed diane sawyer asking Kerry if the war in iraq was worth it. john stewert is pretty funny ;)
 Darth Groovy
10-02-2004, 9:57 AM
This link speaks for itself.

*clicky* (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sovereignty.mov)
 swphreak
10-02-2004, 10:00 AM
That was awesome Groovy.

More proof that Bush is an idiot.
 snj
10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Now that my folks, is hilarious. What was he thinking when he was trying to answer that question?
 Acrylic
10-02-2004, 10:10 AM

OMG!!! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Wow. I never expected he'd be THAT dumb.
 Thrawn42689
10-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Guys, you're misinterpreting the video. It's not that he's not intelligent (I'm not touching that right now :p), it's just that he's not as slick as other politicians. He was trying to avoid answering the question, because no matter what he says the Democrats will use it against him. So it's really a matter of being good with words, which our President most certainly is not. :p
 Pie™
10-02-2004, 5:40 PM

*clicky* (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sovereignty.mov) :lol:

could i sense laughter in the background, or was it just my sub-conciousness? :p
 Acrylic
10-02-2004, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by Pie™
:lol:

could i sense laughter in the background, or was it just my sub-conciousness? :p

No, I heard laughter too.

That is one of the best links ever.
Page: 1 of 2