Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

RE: Adminmod thread

Page: 1 of 1
 Panthios
09-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi again.
First, thanks for the reply on my first thread.

Second, yes I was for real. I played Outcast for a year or two ago and I liked the servers where you didnt killed people with the talking-bubble over their head and such. You know what kind of servers Im talking about.

Now, I have spend alot of time of reading in this forum and I think I get the picture now.
JA is a FPS game, not a RPG or chatting - like someone said in another thread.

And yes, I can see it must be very frustration to see he game being ruined by people who rater wants to chat and fool around than play the way Lucas Art wants it.

Im still gonna buy JA and wanna set up a dedicated server (I have a linux game server standing doing nothing anyway) and ofcourse, no adminmod and in the MOD (that welcome screen thingy) it will say how to play on this server.

But what do people like in here? No guns, mines and such? All powers? Only Jedi powers?

Please tell me whats 'in' atm. I my self don't like all the guns and mines. It remines too much of Quake and such.

Force powers and sabers only.

But please tell me, cause Im not the only one whos gonna play on the server.

Hope you understands me, and Im very sorry for my first post.

Ps. Sorry if the english isnt so good.
 Alegis
09-12-2004, 3:13 AM
all force powers, all guns, all maps
 Samuel Dravis
09-12-2004, 5:17 AM
Just don't disable everything. There's already a lot of servers with Saber Only/No Force. Other than that, it's your preference. A lot of people like having all guns and force on, like Alegis said. If your server gains a reputation as a fun server to play on, it will always have people on it. :cool:
 acdcfanbill
09-12-2004, 9:08 AM
your going to get a wide range of responces from the people here, and sadly, most of them might be rpg style gameplay :p i would say, play your favorite type of gameplay and see if people start joining.
 Prime
09-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
all force powers, all guns, all maps
 Amidala from Chop Shop
09-12-2004, 12:27 PM
If you really like the "honor" type of play, then that is what you should do. The most popular "admin mod" for that type of play is JA+ Mod (http://japlus.fragism.com/index2.php).

Other mods are xmod2 (http://xmod2.cat5camp.com) and JA Reloaded (http://jamod.jk3files.com/index1.html).

Try all of them at home first before choosing one. They all have a lot of features in common, and each has a few unique features. Remember, the "most popular" isn't necessarily the "best" for you. Who sold more CDs last year, Britney Spears or Mozart? Popularity doesn't equal quality.

BUT, before you set up another saber-only "honor" server, think about it. Those kinds of servers are dime-a-dozen, and most of them are empty or little-used. Is there really any point in having yet another "me too" JA+ mod, saber-only, disabled Force power(s) no-laming server?

There is also no point having "no laming" rules if they aren't going to be constantly and consistently enforced, which means you or other "admins" must always be present when there are players there to "patrol" the server like prison guards. The fewer rules you have, the less need for admins to police the server (unless you are one of those sadistic types who likes amsleeping\ampunishing\amslapping\amslaying other players for "fun").

So another thing you could do is run a mod that totally changes the game, like ForceMod III (http://fm.mt-wudan.com/) or Movie Battles (http://www.moviebattles.com/). If you like those mods, you could run a server that would be different from most.

I started running my first Jedi Knight II:Jedi Outcast server because I couldn't find one that was exactly the way I wanted it: full-weapon, full-force, with increased (more "realistic") saber damage, and pure FFA with no added-on "no laming" rules. I didn't make it to be different for the sake of being different, that was just the way I liked to play. Fortunately, enough other people liked the same things I did so it became popular. So if you really really prefer saber-only, no Force, no "laming", that's what you should do. Just realize there are already a lot of servers like that.
 Kurgan
09-12-2004, 11:57 PM
My advice?

Siege (or any team based game), with all weapons, all force powers.

If it's CTF, set a capture limit of at least 5 (minimum), and if you set a time limit, depends on the map, but at least 45 minutes.

As far as number of players, it depends on if your server is professionally dedicated or not. If it is, I wouldn't set it any higher than 16 players because the base maps for JA don't seem really designed for more.

You'll have to sit around and admin the server if you want things to go smoothly, but hopefully when OJP basic gets finished testing you can have some stuff to manage the teams and bots while you're away. ; )

There are already TONS of sabers and FFA/Duel servers out there. What we need are more team-based servers with "no rules" (as in, all kills are fair, none of this "honor" and "whining" stuff). The only thing to keep in mind is that some people don't know how to play team games and will get confused at first, plus some people don't understand the concept of "balanced teams." So you may have some frustration at times. But in the end it's very rewarding!

PS: As lots of JK2 veterans will tell you, JA with sabers only in CTF just isn't as fun as you'd think, and Siege is MADE for all weapons/powers, so disabling anything will throw off the balance.

Also, PLEASE make sure you set the following cvars:

g_saberdamagescale 2
g_forceregentime 200

Why? Because the forceregen will force people to actually use STRATEGY (gasp!) and use the force wisely instead of spamming it constantly without thinking.
The saber damage makes the lightsaber actually useful against guns in team games. With the default damage (1) it's just plain weak, only good for dueling one on one. Plus, with 2, it's more of a "sudden death" so even duels are more fun!

If you don't want to host a team server, host an Asteroids Mod server, or at least a no-rules FFA server with all weapons & all powers.

Trust me, while dueling is great, you can't walk two inches without tripping over a some people having a dueling server. The game is just so much deeper, varied and fun (with more funny moments) when you have everything at your disposal to use. Check out the link in my signature if you're unfamiliar with anything JA has to offer in MP...

Trust me, you might get "owned" at first, but take heart, it gets much more fun. If you don't cater only to the h0n0r saberists, you'll be taking your first step into a larger world. ; )
 Dacks
09-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
So another thing you could do is run a mod that totally changes the game, like ForceMod III (http://fm.mt-wudan.com/) or Movie Battles (http://www.moviebattles.com/). If you like those mods, you could run a server that would be different from most.

I'd like to second that :p

*runs
 Panthios
09-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey. Thank you all for your replys.

I have been playing alittle and I really like Siege with everything on.
Im gonna set up a siege server, thats for sure! It rocks! :)

Thank you all
 Kurgan
09-13-2004, 2:13 PM
May the Force Be With You
Page: 1 of 1