Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

shiny goodness

Page: 1 of 1
 Immenor
08-16-2004, 6:33 PM
I own JK2 and JA. I map for JA. I saw the xbox version of JO and i noticed something nice... The doors in the extra Alzoc III (demo level) were shiny, they reflected the light etc. they looked like chrome doors. since just about every map i see now has shiny textures, can anyone tell me how to get a texture to be shiny or reflective. Do I have to make my own shader? If so how? Can i modify a shader to be used?
 bael1
08-16-2004, 8:46 PM
iv'e never made a shader for a map..... yet, but to make skins shiny, i used the sith_soldier model shader an edited my skins details in where the old details were, so my eg torso.jpg was shiny, i think u will be able 2 use this same method for makin map_objects shiny.
 Immenor
08-16-2004, 9:38 PM
I can't use a skins shader lol. So your saying i should take a pre-exicting shader and modfy it to go with the texture i want? makes sense...
i just don't know what is an existing shader.
 wedge2211
08-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Some of the game default shaders are already "shiny." You can tell by going into the shader file (SHIFT+double-click on the texture in Radiant) and looking to see if one of the stages has the line tcGen environment. For example, the shader byss/large_floor:

textures/byss/large_floor
{
q3map_material SolidMetal
{
map $lightmap
}
{
map textures/byss/large_floor the base texture
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
}
{
map textures/byss/env_large_floor the "shine" texture