Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

psyk0sith

Page: 1 of 1
 Mana Dragon
08-09-2004, 4:25 PM
Can you explain a bit more about the Reset XForm modifier? I'm reading your tutorial, and I'm sure my shoulders look wrong because the textures are inverted.

I have already weighted my model, but I follow the instructions to move the Reset XForm under the Skin modifier, then I collapse to, goto the mesh editor, and click polygon mode. I select the faces and I flip the normals, and I export/assimilate and send it to ModView and nothing's happened. The shoulders still look bad. Did I miss a step, or should I start over?
 Psyk0Sith
08-09-2004, 5:59 PM
It's pretty straight forward, you apply the modifier, the faces get flipped and you flip them back the right way...but sometimes it screw things up even worse.

Could also be a problem related to another mesh, probably the hips. What happens when you apply a reset x-form to other meshes?

Dont forget to backup your latest work in case something goes wrong.
 Mana Dragon
08-09-2004, 7:26 PM
I've applied it to the shoulders and torso but I don't really see any changes, except when I flip them, the mesh is inside-out, I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

In the tutorial, you say when applying the Reset XForm modifier and clicking "collapse to," the mesh will have their faces flipped. I don't see this happening.
Still, I Flip the normals and my mesh is inside-out. I export and assimilate, and in ModView, the mesh does not appear to be inside-out, it looks fine, but I expected the torso to be inside-out when I flipped the normals, and exported.

(Let me know if I confused you there, It's hard making things clear. :rolleyes: )

I'm saying this because, applying the Reset XForm seems to do nothing. It's as if nothing was changed, and the mesh still appears corny.

I have 2 gifs from viewing the left and right side. It's probably a bad view, but the arm pit is stretched to the top of the shoulder, and it looks inverted.

http://dragon.thebluestmind.net/manadragon/left.gif)

http://dragon.thebluestmind.net/manadragon/right.gif)

I have a back-up just in case I mess up, for now, I'm trying to experiment and click things. I'm the kind of guy who can complicate simple things, so thanks for helping.
 Psyk0Sith
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
If they are not flipped then you dont need to flip them the wrong way!

Turn off show textures as double sided in modview, if you have some flipped meshes you wont be able to see them when this option is turned on (it's always on by default).

Also, you could export your model to .3ds and import it back in max, sometimes you can spot error with re-imported mesh.
 Mana Dragon
08-10-2004, 2:43 PM
Alright, I've unlinked all the mesh and I applied a Reset X Form Modifier the head for starters. When I did, the head moved off the body and into a spot near the legs. Last time nothing was working, but when I apply the XForm thingie today, it moves parts around.

When I rotate the head and put it back into place, I click on the next item, and the head goes back to the place where it was near the legs, it won't stay on top of the body like it's supposed to do. What can I do to keep the head from coming off the body?
Page: 1 of 1