Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How legal is it

Page: 1 of 1
 RDX1
08-07-2004, 12:58 AM
How legal is it to include whole/part songs from one of the Star Wars movie soundtrack? I don't think it would be legal, but others have done it and nothing to be said, that doesn't make it right but it is a possibility? I'm not sure.
 MeowTown
08-07-2004, 4:24 AM
if you buy the song, then it is legal
 RDX1
08-07-2004, 4:28 AM
Then wouldn't everyone have to buy it as well? I can't buy a song then share it with everyone for free.

I was thinking there might be a very slight chance since the rights are owned by the same company. I didn't think so because of what happened with the models from KOTOR....

Just wondering how the other mappers get away with it since most websites don't allow *illegal* files to be shared.
 darthVADER
08-07-2004, 5:30 AM
the reason the kotor models arent alowed is because they were created by bioware not LEC

you see everything you use that is already in this game is legal
i dont know the full story about the music but if the music si already in the original game then its legal to use it
otherwise i dunno
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 7:57 AM
Lucasfilm and Lucasarts are VERY, VERY protective of their Star Wars license. Lucasarts would have had to go through a ton of legality to get the tracks they wanted and so I wouldn't really chance it.

If you are going to though, make sure there is a full disclaimer in the readme, who the copyright belongs to, making sure you state that IT IS NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE, where you got the track from etc etc.

Also, if you make a really good job of the dynamic music, most people wouldn't notice that it's something you've added - they would probably think it had already been included in game.

This is very sticky territory so be VERY careful lest you incur the wrath of Lucas.

And you don't want that:)

[edit: also, if you can, try and get permission from Lucas Licensing. Explain to them what you would like to do with the property, state that you would not make any money off it and see what they come back to you with. You can then add "used with permission". Stick this in the readme and the menu screen when your mod loads up and you'll have no legal worries]
 Mercenary
08-07-2004, 8:08 AM
It is illegal to distribute a copyrighted song. If you simply submit a mod that contains only music, it will most likely be removed. If you submit a mod with a song and a whole lot more, like maps and stuff, it has a better chance of staying. Just keep it quiet and don't make a big deal about it. If you draw a lot of attention to these things, who knows, maybe LEC will start cracking down and probably half the existing mods would have to be removed and that would suck for us all.
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 8:26 AM
Just keep it quiet and don't make a big deal about it.

Also, if you make a really good job of the dynamic music, most people wouldn't notice that it's something you've added - they would probably think it had already been included in game.

Don't mention the fact in your readme that "I've included some music that was not in the original game and i've done a really good job about it"

If your are going to add licenced stuff, you're going to have to go without the Kudos. Or you can and get sued.
 darthVADER
08-07-2004, 8:57 AM
listen if its music that belong to the starwars license
and you only use it in a starwars licensed game and not make a profit out of it
it wil probaly go unnoticed

cause there are hundreds of mods maps ect. out there that use music that isnt in the original game and they all stay up

look at livingdeadjedi's episode1 hanger for instance
 RDX1
08-07-2004, 3:23 PM
Well, I am putting music that was not in the original game, although that is all legal. I just thought it would be a plus to add some more 'ethnic' music to that planet.

I seriously doubted it was legal, but more curious then anything else.
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 3:34 PM
If your music is your own creation (i.e. not from any other lucasarts games or cd's) then you should be fine.

And if it was a free download anyway and you're not making money off it, then I don't see the problem.

Saying that though, i'm not a lawyer:)
 shukrallah
08-07-2004, 3:37 PM
If lucasarts has a problem, they will tell you to take the file down, and to stop submitting it, then, if you dont, they will sue. I think.. or they could just sue you :(

Do you think anyone from lucasarts even downloads these files?

I have also seen several maps with star wars music (like episode1, and 2 music) that wasnt in game. Ive seen other maps with music like LOTR. Its NOT legal, but.. nothing has happend to them. Technically, anyone who downloads the file and doesnt own the music would be stealing :(

EDIT: Wow.. I misspelled and left out a few words :yodac:
 RDX1
08-07-2004, 6:13 PM
I get my music from sites that have a big collection of music that is freeware, shareware and linkware.
 lauser
08-07-2004, 6:22 PM
I agree. Just mention that this mod has new music and that's it. Give credit where credit is due but DO NOT mention the details.
 RDX1
08-07-2004, 7:40 PM
I won't risk it. It was just an idea to add the music from Tatooine in Episode 2 to my map, nothing that big.
 shukrallah
08-07-2004, 9:16 PM
Yeah that was some cool music.
 Zanatio
08-08-2004, 7:12 PM
A while ago I was asking around how to include dynamic music in my map, and the music that I'm wanting to use is from Episode 1. Personally I don't see a problem with having it in my map, but if LucasArts were to ask me to take it out then obviously I would. I simply added it because I wanted to have some different music, cos I'm bored with listening to the same music in JA all the time :)
Page: 1 of 1