Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which scenes are changed on the DVDs, and how?

Page: 1 of 2
 Doomie
08-05-2004, 12:45 PM
alright, if nobody ain't gonna post here, i'll jsut psot this in the cantina but i wanna knwo wich scenes are changed in the DVD release of the OT and how they were changed, if this info is available...
 Lynk Former
08-05-2004, 2:27 PM
Originally posted by fatrix2001
Complete changes:

Episode IV: A New Hope DVD:

* LightSabers altered for Vader verus Ben Kenobi Death Star duel.
* TractorBeam control now in Aurebesh.
* Han and Greedo scene slightly changed (everyone's seen this).
* Jabba the Hutt redone from Special Edition Jabba.
* Boba Fett still mugs camera.
* Han still steps on tail, "You're a wonderful human being," still there.
(The scene is an improvement over the SE, but still not great.)

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

* Emperor replaced with Ian McDiarmid.
Dialogue in this scene has been slightly modified, indicating either that the Emperor knows it was Luke who nuked the Death Star, or that he is Vader's son. Maybe both (source was unclear). Otherwise, dialogue remains in tact. Emperor's theme from Jedi also added into the scene.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi:

* Hayden Christenson has replaced Sebastian Shaw only in the Force Ghost shot.

* Line about Leia remembering her mother while talking to Luke on the Ewok Village veranda has either been omitted, or modified.

* Naboo has been added to the final planetary celebration montage at the end of the movie. It is a shot very similar to the helicopter shot of Theed in TPM when AATs are moving up the street towards the palace
 Doomie
08-05-2004, 2:38 PM
That doesn't sound too bad... thanks d00d.
 joesdomain
08-06-2004, 2:24 AM
I was hoping for deleted scenes section added or the option to add the deleted scenes to the movie.
 Doomie
08-06-2004, 5:21 PM
They might, it isn't really a change to the movies, so that explains why it's not in that list...
 ZBomber
08-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Ug, they did end up replacing the Ghost? :( Seems a little stupid to me, he PT crew, he shouldn't be in the OT!
 joesdomain
08-08-2004, 3:35 AM
I don't see a problem with it. Makes more connection between two trilogies. Just makes more original trilogy lovers/prequel trilogy haters more upset for changing the originals more! LOL!
 El Sitherino
08-08-2004, 5:12 AM
I'm kinda 50/50 on it. Part of me wants to hold onto the child inside of me screaming SHAW IS THE ONE TRUE VADER/ANAKIN!

and the other part is, It's gotta be more fluid in the connection.

stupid innerchild. stupid exterior post-pubescent young adult.
 Doomie
08-08-2004, 5:21 AM
The connection IS fluid. Shaw is the 40-year old anakin, wich he is around the time he dies. Hayden just doesn't look like him...
 Codja X
08-08-2004, 5:59 AM
If they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Haydn Christensen, why didn't they replace Alec Guinness with Ewan Macgregor?

If they are going to make gimmicky changes, they should at least be consistent - that's my only problem. The rest of the changes are probably for the best.
 Lynk Former
08-08-2004, 6:23 AM
Don't get your panties in a twist, so they replaced Shaw with Christensen, it's not the end of the world, if you wanna watch the original OT then go and cuddle upto your old remastered vhs copy and don't bother buying the DVD boxset then ;)

You can't sit there, bitch about one change then say the rest are for the best. And wtf, you're going a bit over the top (a bit? XD) with the replacing alec guinness with ewan macgreggor thing dontcha think. :dozey: Like I said, don't get your panties in a twist over it, I can see the reason why Lucas wanted to change that bit because Anakin really did cease to exist when he became Darth Vader and that was at the time of RotS. So it's only fitting to have his ghost represent the young Anakin before he became the dark lord.
 Codja X
08-08-2004, 6:55 AM
Don't get my panties in a twist?

I'm not the one going off on one.

All I asked was a simple question - I don't understand why only Anakin and not Obi-Wan?

I'm not having a go at GL or anything and reading all the other changes, I think they'd be cool AND I think having a younger Anakin is cool - it shows Luke that his father was once a young Jedi and would also be a warning to Luke about the dark path a young, headstrong Jedi can take.

I'm just wondering why it doesn't show Obi-wan in his prime as well.
 Doomie
08-08-2004, 7:19 AM
He jsut explained that. And i still think it's weird...
 Codja X
08-08-2004, 7:41 AM
The reason i'm having confusion is that i'm not what the ghosts of the Jedi are meant to represent - do they show the Jedi as they were when they died? Do they show them in their prime?

The point you made regarding Anakin ceasing to exist when he became Darth Vader is a valid one, but I thought the whole point of the OT was to show his redemption and return to the light.

Actually, I do beg your pardon - Anakin's spirit ceased to exist when he became Darth Vader, so it would make sense that his light side spirit is still young looking.

My apologies - i'm just a bit slow this morning.

But I really can't stress enough that I do not have any problems with any of the changes and I shall be purchasing a copy as soon as it comes out.

Also, on a side note, i've mentioned in another thread about the old Star Wars CD-Rom "Behind the magic". This contains some deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs at Tosche Station just before Biggs joins the rebellion.

Does anyone know if these scenes will be included as an extra on the DVD's? The quality of the video on the cd-rom is pretty appalling
 coupes.
08-08-2004, 1:03 PM
Ghosts obviously don't have a physical body, I guess they simply chose how they want to appear to someone. Obi-Wan Wouldn't want to appear as his young self as Luke wouldn't recognize him. On the other hand, Anakin wouldn't want to apear as as sith, so he probably chose to look like he did before he went to the dark side.
 Lynk Former
08-08-2004, 7:59 PM
Originally posted by Codja X
Also, on a side note, i've mentioned in another thread about the old Star Wars CD-Rom "Behind the magic". This contains some deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs at Tosche Station just before Biggs joins the rebellion.

Does anyone know if these scenes will be included as an extra on the DVD's? The quality of the video on the cd-rom is pretty appalling
Most likely, the OT DVD release is supposed to be the ultimate release for the OT.

Don't get my panties in a twist?

I'm not the one going off on one.
excuse me?

@ coupe: well said XD
 El Sitherino
08-08-2004, 9:38 PM
Originally posted by Codja X
If they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Haydn Christensen, why didn't they replace Alec Guinness with Ewan Macgregor?

If they are going to make gimmicky changes, they should at least be consistent - that's my only problem. The rest of the changes are probably for the best. well see the thing is, He ceased to be anakin once he became Vader, and was corrupted by the darkside, thus when he returns to the light, he comes back the way he was when he left the light *shrugs*. Obi-Wan though, was always a jedi and grew old that way. Thus he stayed in his old form as a ghost. Also Vader was more machine than man, so... I dunno.
 Pontus90
08-11-2004, 7:49 AM
hey dont u get it (they replaced shaw with hayden cause anakin looks young when he dies!) and obi wan died when he was old....
 Sivy
08-11-2004, 8:07 AM
most of the changes, i think, are for the best.

but i'm in two minds about the young anakin ghost.

its true that once anakin became vader, as obi-wan said, he ceased to be anakin skywalker. however when luke takes off vader's helmet at the end of ROTJ (when vader has been redeemed and is now once again anakin) it's Sebastian Shaw's face he sees. so it only makes sense that when he sees anakin's ghost it's the same.

i wont be compaining if they do change it to hayden, but it would seem a bit odd too me.
 fatrix2001
08-11-2004, 10:21 AM
The new dialog between Emperor Palpatine ( Ian McDiarmid ) and Darth Vader

http://www.starwars-union.de/download/news/20040726tesbdvd_emperorvader.mp3)

( A replace for The Empire Strikes Back )
 Pontus90
08-11-2004, 6:43 PM
Not so new :D
 joesdomain
08-11-2004, 7:36 PM
Sounds like a cool addition! Alot better than the guy who did the original voice.
 RedHawke
08-20-2004, 8:39 AM
I honestly don't really mind most of the changes... but that's just me! :D
 joesdomain
08-20-2004, 5:44 PM
I just thought the guy who did the original emperor in The Empire Strikes Back just didn't do a good job as Ian! He needed to be replaced with Ian's face to be match the other films.
 coupes.
08-20-2004, 8:41 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I just thought the guy who did the original emperor in The Empire Strikes Back just didn't do a good job as Ian! He needed to be replaced with Ian's face to be match the other films.
Well, the emperor in ESB was originally played by a women if I'm not mistaking. And of course nobody could play Ian as good as Ian :p

I do agree that this needed to be changed for continuity (sp?) purposes.
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 6:34 PM
Do any of you think he will replace puppet Yoda with CGI Yoda? If he doesn't do it for OT, the I certainly hope that they do it for Episode 1 in the PT box set.
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 6:39 PM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
Well, the emperor in ESB was originally played by a women if I'm not mistaking. And of course nobody could play Ian as good as Ian :p

I do agree that this needed to be changed for continuity (sp?) purposes.
Errr...ironically, Ian played Ian :D
He was the Emperor in the OT, too.

Proof (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001519/)
 El Sitherino
08-23-2004, 7:20 PM
he was only in RoTJ.
 coupes.
08-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Errr...ironically, Ian played Ian :D
He was the Emperor in the OT, too.

Proof (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001519/)
I know that, I was just messing around with joesdomain because of the way he prased his thoughs...

I just thought the guy who did the original emperor in The Empire Strikes Back just didn't do a good job as Ian!
I know what he meant, but it sounds like he's saying the guy was playing Ian instead of the emperor... ;)
 Achilles
08-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Gotcha...

*had forgotten that we see the Emperor in ESB*
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 2:17 AM
Gotcha...

*had forgotten that we see the Emperor in ESB*

Don't worry Achillies due to the laughable bug-eyed look it was a forgettable moment for a lot of people.

I'm actually glad that in the DVD's Ian is going to do that small part. :D
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 5:01 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
Don't worry Achillies due to the laughable bug-eyed look it was a forgettable moment for a lot of people.

I'm actually glad that in the DVD's Ian is going to do that small part. :D

I'm keeping my hope up for teh cgi Yoda :D
Unfortunately, they proobably would have already let that slip if they were going to do it :(
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 6:57 AM
I'm keeping my hope up for teh cgi Yoda :D
Unfortunately, they proobably would have already let that slip if they were going to do it :(

Actually I'm really hoping to see Yoda in ESB teach Luke a little Saber fighting on Dagobah... from a distance all that could easily be done with CGI.

I mean come on someone had to teach him... and Obi-Wan didn't have enough time on the trip to Alderaan to make Luke good enough to chop Vaders hand off.

Oh well! :D
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 7:05 AM
Actually I'm really hoping to see Yoda in ESB teach Luke a little Saber fighting on Dagobah... from a distance all that could easily be done with CGI.

I mean come on someone had to teach him... and Obi-Wan didn't have enough time on the trip to Alderaan to make Luke good enough to chop Vaders hand off.

Oh well! :D

That would be excellent, but I won't hold my breath for that one.
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 7:09 AM
That would be excellent, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

Neither will I, but I can dream about it... Hmm... continuity... what a sweet irony! :D
 Achilles
08-24-2004, 7:13 AM
Neither will I, but I can dream about it... Hmm... continuity... what a sweet irony! :D
Well, this will be the second time that he's changed the OT...perhaps the temptation will be too much for him and he will have to include something that wasn't in the last version.
 RedHawke
08-24-2004, 7:21 AM
Well, this will be the second time that he's changed the OT...perhaps the temptation will be too much for him and he will have to include something that wasn't in the last version.

I hope GL does add some extra stuff to bring his 2 trilogies together in a better way... again I can only hope! :D
 Tyler_Durden
09-10-2004, 3:30 PM
Apparently there will in fact be another version coming out when either blu-ray or hd-dvd's win the backing of all the big companies, but it looks like blu-ray has the advantage. I'm also jonesing for blu ray as it can hold up to 35 Gigs in four layers so i think they could get 140 gigs on a blu ray as opposed to HD-DVD's 15 Gigs in two layers which is 30 gigs total. I think that's it, i could be wrong but i know blu ray hold significantly more information, so don't be surorised if you see another star wars dvd hitting the shelves with further changes and deleted scenes in a few years.
 ShadoWraith
09-11-2004, 6:53 PM
How much will the DVD set cost?
 Andy867
09-22-2004, 9:37 PM
What will really get your noodle boiling is that for the emperor hologram scenes, they replaced the monkey palpatine with Ian Ian McDiarmid..

Replacing Alec with Ewan would have been too time consuming and too much of a hassle whereas the ghost shaw was a simple overlap affect since he really didn't move, same with the emperor.
 Kurgan
09-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Post removed.

See the Sticky Thread (expanded and updated) instead!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136494)
 El Sitherino
09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure about maybe if it's the film itself but in the 92 vhs of ANH lukes saber had kind of a green tint to it, but the scene in obi-wan's hut it was just the white beem with an occasional blue-green glow.
 FiEND_138
09-22-2004, 11:43 PM
A quick question, sorry if it's been answered already I just skimmed the thread.

In ESB, when Lukes running out of the cave from the wampa<?> on Hoth & you hear his saber go off but it's still on in the shot. Did they fix that? I realize it's a pretty pointless question as I'll have them this weekend, it's just that they didn't fix it in the SE which surprised me & i'm just curious if they did here :)
 Kurgan
09-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by FiEND_138
A quick question, sorry if it's been answered already I just skimmed the thread.

In ESB, when Lukes running out of the cave from the wampa<?> on Hoth & you hear his saber go off but it's still on in the shot. Did they fix that? I realize it's a pretty pointless question as I'll have them this weekend, it's just that they didn't fix it in the SE which surprised me & i'm just curious if they did here :)

Nope. It's not fixed. And I never even noticed that gaffe all these years! Ha. Good eye (and ear), there! ; )

It seems like most of the gaffes noticed by fans over the years simply haven't been touched. But the casual viewer won't notice them anyway in most cases.

(Updated the list of changes above)
 FiEND_138
09-23-2004, 1:13 AM
Thanx for the answer, I've been wondering if they'd touch it up or not since all the images & what not started poppin up on the net. Perhaps an 'easter egg' or GL & Burtt need to get their eyes/ears checked......... Well, they've fixed most of the visuals, maybe the audio will be next for the 'Ultimate Editions' ;)
 Kurgan
09-23-2004, 1:38 AM
Updated my post above with the changes I found.

Someone pointed out to me on another forum how (oddly enough) Luke's saber is FIXED to the proper blue on disc 4. Why they didn't use this effect in the actual scene in the movie I'll never know...

http://strategy.jediknight.net/bluesaber1.jpg)

Compare:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/greensaber1.jpg)

It's also too bad that they didn't include the PC demo of Battlefront on here, as long as they were putting in the Xbox version. Every disc tries to install InterActual player and has weblinks to Starwars.com so it's not like the PC content isn't there.
 Lynk Former
09-23-2004, 5:36 AM
Yeah there were a lot of odd colours in ANH, more than you realise too. The Tatooine scenes showed a lot of green around parts when it seemed they tried to clean the video but they just couldn't or it was a result of cleaning the video, I don't know.

But you can't really complain I mean you're trying to restore a movie that's over 20 years old and that doesn't have its original masters available anymore.
 Kurgan
09-23-2004, 7:16 AM
I don't know about that. Did they say the original masters didn't exist? I can't remember...

A few other changes I forgot to mention (subtle ones mentioned on other sites):

The "Detention Block" in ANH, the hallways are made to look like they stretch on further.

Also in ANH there is some scene with the twin suns of Tatooine that has been altered. I think its when the sun is setting they darken the scene so that it fits. I'd have to check the exact section but I've read it in several places now. Supposedly 24-25 minutes into the movie.

The "Senate and Jedi Temple" are included in the Coruscant celebration scene at the end of ROTJ (though you'd have to point out to me which buildings they are, since without the SE to compare I don't know).

Supposedly in ESB at the 92 minute mark there are a couple of shots of Han in his black jacket that were "corrected" (erased the jacket?) due to some continuity gaffe.
 Kurgan
09-23-2004, 3:38 PM
Started a new thread sticky for the confirmed DVD changes here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1640551#post1640551)
 X_Fighter
09-24-2004, 9:45 AM
a couple of extra changes for ANH

Vader's voice has been slightly altered (if you listen carefully you will notice)

a new explosion effect when Han blows up the comm panel in the detention centre.
Page: 1 of 2