Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A few questions to help me get started.

Page: 1 of 1
 RDX1
07-28-2004, 12:34 AM
I have looked around, but I have not read anything that answered my question. (Some of the questions I have found answers to but it was never explained properly, I'll post my questions here in one thread instead of spamming the whole forum with multiple topics.)

1) How do I apply a texture just once, instead of over the whole brush? Then have another texture cover the entire brush.

2) I was having trouble with the clip tool, it would clip half the whole brush, and how do I cut out just a small piece?

3) How do I bring objects into the map? I checked out the Models/ directory which took a long time to load, it didn't show any thumbnails or anything I could click on. I read that most people import the MD3?

4) To make buildings (I'm making a Tatooine map) I need to use the Vertex/Edge tool, correct?

5) Are there is websites that have the whole list of what to use on an entity and what it does.

6) I heard that using hollow and CSG subtract are bad, what do I use instead of them? For hollow I'm guessing just make the brushes separately?

7) Caulk, I was read a few tutorials and they caulked everything, I read just caulk what users won't see. What is the proper way for this?

8) With shaders, how do I apply them to a texture?

9) NPC questions, can I make NPCs that walk around the map that can not be killed and do not attack others? I would like to make an army base, would I be able to do the same thing with that, or would I use a model to keep the NPCs from from moving at all and no be killed.

10) Most importantly, do any of you have tips for me that you can give me, this would be my first map and any tips will help me in the run since I'm still at the start of the creating process?

And last but not least. What Other tutorials do you recommend? I just need some tutorials to point me in the right direction. So far I have these, which I am still reading though:

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/)
http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/shader_manual/contents.htm)
http://www.planetquake.com/bubba/tutorial.html)
http://www2.ravensoft.com/users/mmajernik/)
http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html)
And I downloaded the JK2 tutorial from JK2Files.com (Made by Kayron James Mercieca (007))
 Jedi_Vogel
07-28-2004, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by RDX1
1) How do I apply a texture just once, instead of over the whole brush? Then have another texture cover the entire brush.
Create a brush the same size as the texture...or on Surface Inspector, stretch it 1 * 1

2) I was having trouble with the clip tool, it would clip half the whole brush, and how do I cut out just a small piece?
You need to cut the brush enough times and then remove the "Hole". When you have placed your second clip point, hold shift and THEN press Enter.

3) How do I bring objects into the map? I checked out the Models/ directory which took a long time to load, it didn't show any thumbnails or anything I could click on. I read that most people import the MD3?
Check the model list thread on this forum

4) To make buildings (I'm making a Tatooine map) I need to use the Vertex/Edge tool, correct?
What? Just 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor :lol:

5) Are there is websites that have the whole list of what to use on an entity and what it does.
The Entity (key N) window has those details in it.

6) I heard that using hollow and CSG subtract are bad, what do I use instead of them? For hollow I'm guessing just make the brushes separately?
Clip Tool.

[/quote]7) Caulk, I was read a few tutorials and they caulked everything, I read just caulk what users won't see. What is the proper way for this?[/quote]
Caulk what users won't see... can that be clearer?

Search these forums for "Shader Manual"

9) NPC questions, can I make NPCs that walk around the map that can not be killed and do not attack others? I would like to make an army base, would I be able to do the same thing with that, or would I use a model to keep the NPCs from from moving at all and no be killed.
Search.

10) Most importantly, do any of you have tips for me that you can give me, this would be my first map and any tips will help me in the run since I'm still at the start of the creating process?
Go slowly and improve on your last work. Don't be discouraged by other maps or the skills of other mappers, and don't give up :)
 RDX1
07-28-2004, 7:23 PM
Check the model list thread on this forum.

I found it by myself, I was thinking of textures > models, not using it as an entity under misc > misc_model

What? Just 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor :lol:

Now, square buildings wouldn't look good, would they? I need to shape them. I doubt even I could stand a map that I made that only uses square buildings

The Entity (key N) window has those details in it.

Found it, I didn't expand the box.

Search these forums for "Shader Manual"

I found this before I posted: http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/shader_manual/ch1.htm#what) but what I don't understand is how to apply a shader to a texture, I'm guessing if you apply it to the general name of a texture that all textures will display the shader, not just the one on the brush that you want.

Search.

That's not too helpful, just want to know if it is possible or not.

==================================

I'm still having problems with proper lighting on my map, using the shader for dune (Which I use for my skybox) it applies the shader automatically which isn't very bright, then it takes a few minutes to compile my map (I read it can take hours) which is not good as I like to compile my map and take a look at it in real time to make sure everything is ok. When I compile it disables me to use my computer most of the time.

How do I apply the skybox without it using the shader? This way I can apply my own lighting with a light marked as a sun?
 EvilJedi
07-29-2004, 2:49 AM
9) Everything is possible, as long as you know how, and have the right tools. Encouraging isn't it?? Use scripting for that.

5) Entities: http://mapping.powered.cz/q3entities/)

4) Use clip tool, and use the square cylinder to use the vertexes. Or just use normal squares, but square cylinders are better, because you can add columns and stuff.

And yes always search before you post. Sometimes you will find out your problem before you even post.
 RDX1
07-29-2004, 5:58 AM
I always try and do a search first, post if I am not successful.

I'm really having problems with my lighting with is stopping my mapping process as I want to get this done first, I've tried for the past few days. My map is outdoors on the planet Tatooine, I have the skybox 'dune' set up, but the lighting is very low. How can I set up the dune skybox without the lighting shader? I'm going to try the light entity that is _sun, but the loading times increases a lot when the sun shader, which I like to compile my map often and see what it looks like, all these compile times will add up.
 mergatroid
07-29-2004, 6:13 AM

1) Before aplying the texture, hold down Ctrl+Shift and click on the side you want textured. Then Ctrl+Shift click all the other sides and texture them with a different texture.

3) If you want to put detail models and eyecandy in your map:
- Right click in the 2D view and select misc/ misc_model
- A load window should automaticaly pop up.
- Go to misc_models/ [name of map model is in] (for example Bespin)
- There should be nothing in the folder.
- Change the File type scroll bar to either .ASE or .MD3
- A list of models should pop up and all you need to do is chose the desired model.

4) You can either clip or use the edge tool. Do not, however, use the vertice tool, it makes 'bad brushes' and should only be used for patches. The only problem is that Tatouine style archetecture is mainly square houses with a dome so it would look out of place if an octogone house popped up.

6) Hollow and subtract make 'evil brushes' don't use them at all. They can slow down compile time and bring down FPS. They are mainly an 'easy way out' but you'll see, in mapping the 'easy way out' is usually the worst way out.

7) I'm not sure, don't you have to put the direct location of the texture in one of the first lines of a shader? (I haven't willed myself to do shader yet)

Hope all this helps.
 RDX1
07-29-2004, 6:34 AM
Thanks for the clarification, but when I meant the textures I meant apply another texture on top of it. It looks like I will need to make a 1 depth brush and they apply my brush to that.

I know how to include vehicles, can I load just the vehicle model so it is placed on the map and not a usable vehicle?

The main thing I need done now is the lighting.
 mergatroid
07-29-2004, 10:54 AM

I'm really having problems with my lighting with is stopping my mapping process as I want to get this done first, I've tried for the past few days. My map is outdoors on the planet Tatooine, I have the skybox 'dune' set up, but the lighting is very low. How can I set up the dune skybox without the lighting shader? I'm going to try the light entity that is _sun, but the loading times increases a lot when the sun shader, which I like to compile my map often and see what it looks like, all these compile times will add up.

Do you know how to add an entity _sun?
Here's the URL:Clicky (http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1533&sid=99e81f661901e24b9fde1a44dc688278)

If you don't want your shder to emit light, type in Worldspawn:
- Key: _noshadesun
- Value: 1

For the texture, yes that is correct

For the vehicle, it's possible with SOME vehicle (Raven's Claw ...)
they're in one of the misc_model directories I talked about in my other post.

Hope this helps.
 Jedi_Vogel
07-29-2004, 3:23 PM
Yeah, on the Shader thing...

you copy the shader you want to do (or what you have written)

then you need to change the first line of the shader to the path of the TEXTURE you want it to affect.

I believe.

Open up a shader and have a look.
 RDX1
07-29-2004, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by mergatroid
Do you know how to add an entity _sun?
Here's the URL:Clicky (http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1533&sid=99e81f661901e24b9fde1a44dc688278)

Yes, it was hidden in the middle of my post, and it wasn't worded right. Lats time I tried the sun entity the shadows and lightning didn't go so well.

Thanks for the _noshadersun information, I saw that before but I did not know what it did. I'll try the tips all of you gave me. :)

Originally posted by mergatroid
For the vehicle, it's possible with SOME vehicle (Raven's Claw ...)
they're in one of the misc_model directories I talked about in my other post.

What about for vehicles that are not made by Raven? I know I could just add the vehicle to the pk3, but I would like to just add the model itself, not a playable vehicle. In the vehicle file that would be added, there is only a .gla and .glm file, not a MD2 file.

The clip tool works fine, and I've known how to use it but have not been explained properly to how to cut out the center of a brush, for example making a door. Is it ok to use CSG Subtract as long as you don't leave the second brush connected to the brush you subtracted from?
 mergatroid
07-29-2004, 4:03 PM

What about for vehicles that are not made by Raven? I know I could just add the vehicle to the pk3, but I would like to just add the model itself, not a playable vehicle. In the vehicle file that would be added, there is only a .gla and .glm file, not a MD2 file.

The clip tool works fine, and I've known how to use it but have not been explained properly to how to cut out the center of a brush, for example making a door. Is it ok to use CSG Subtract as long as you don't leave the second brush connected to the brush you subtracted from?

I'm not so sure about the vehicles, I've never tried vehicle or player moddeling (costs way too much). I think you may need to convert the .gla or the .glm file into either a .ASE or a .MD3 file and put it in a seperate folder in your /misc_model directory.

To clip out a door shaped hole in a wall, you have to make three cuts:

- One horizantal, which will be the highest point of your door.
- Two vertical, the two sides of your door.

Use the tool you perfer, I've been told not to use the CSG subtract tool and I never have, I have just stuck to my clip tool and I'm sattisfied.
 RDX1
07-30-2004, 6:29 PM
When I use the clip tool, how do I get it NOT to take out half the brush? I want to make a door in the center.
 Mercenary
07-30-2004, 7:12 PM
Most of these questions are answered in the tutorials, do them first before you ask anything.
 RDX1
07-30-2004, 8:41 PM
I did read the tutorials, and I always do a search first before I post. I only post if I don't understand how it was explained. I'm not here trying to waste your time and I am not here looking for any of you to build my map for me. I know mapping is not something you can know everything about in one day, which is why I am taking my time. Not everyones mind works the same, I didn't understand what was said so I am looking for clarity.

After messing with it for awhile I figured out how to use the clip tool, which is easy once you know how to place them. Thanks for your wonderful help Mercenary. :)
 lauser
07-31-2004, 2:02 AM
LOL Merc.
I like you RDX. Grammar is good and with excellent explanations. That's the way it should always be. Very refreshing...... :D
 mergatroid
07-31-2004, 11:37 AM
Grammar is good and with excellent explanations. That's the way it should always be. Very refreshing......

To true. But what Merc said, most of the questions asked are in the tutorials, though I understand that some people need clarity and that some tutorials I've read have bad grammar and spellings.
 RDX1
08-01-2004, 8:22 AM
Ok, now I am having a music problem that I have been trying to fix an hour. I've searched and this is what I have done:

Encoded my MP3 at 128k 44100Khz Stereo

Created "sound/mymap_name/name.mp3" in my base directory. Added the same thing to my PK3.

Created target_speaker with noise: sound/mymap_name/namer.mp3 (And without the .mp3) looped-on

Compiled and ran in both pure and unpure game modes.

My music will not play. I do not want the music to play throughout the whole map, only an area that is contained in brushes.
Page: 1 of 1