Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The millionth sky shader problem..

Page: 1 of 1
 EvilJedi
07-25-2004, 9:50 PM
Yes I know this has been asked and answered many many times, and I did search, but I still see rooms outside of my sky shaders. No matter what compile I do, it stays. I can see EVERY room of the map through it, even the ones that are on the other side of the map and have no connection with the room in which I have my sky shader. At first, i suspected it was because I was not doing a full vis process, but now that I am, it still does it. Also, when I do any compile, i only get 3 paragraphs of writing in the console, when I had tons of lines before. This way I have no knowing how far the compile is, or if it froze or whatever (i have to use the task manager on windows if I have any suspicions of it freezing). Does that have anything to do with it? Thanks to all who will reply (and who will get mad because this has been asked so many times before)
 GothiX
07-26-2004, 6:28 AM
This has been answered many times: A sky is always drawn LAST, as in behind everything else on the scene.
 WadeV1589
07-26-2004, 7:31 AM
Gothix you're forgetting one key thing when you're re-iterating that...it's drawn last behind everything you can visusally see. If there is a room behind it that has no connection, hell if there's a 180 degree turn and the vis data blocks off the other side, it will not be drawn in front of the skybox.

As to why it's doing it for you, you'll have to firstly post your compile log.
 GothiX
07-26-2004, 7:42 AM
Meh, I thought it'd be pretty obvious that the said 'scene' exists of what is drawn at that moment.
 Codja X
07-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Are you using the portal_sky entity to create the skybox?

If so, you've got to make sure that the box you have created for the portal sky is well off to one side and above the main area of the map or you'll see the box in the sky.

Also are you using a custom sky shader or one that ships with the game?

Make sure that:

a: the sky brush is structural and
b: is fully caulked on all sides bar the visible one.
 EvilJedi
07-26-2004, 4:09 PM
I'm using the skies/boba_night sky from the game, and 1 and 2 are both good. It just pisses me off to see every room through a skybox.
 Codja X
07-26-2004, 4:21 PM
If you're not sure how far the compile process is going, just do one stage at a time - bsp 1st, then vis, then light.

See if any throw up error messages and then post them here.
 Nalukai
07-26-2004, 4:49 PM
since were on teh topic of sky boxes thats my next step of doing one heres the scenario...

octagonal cut in the ceiling i want my skies/desert2_up moonlight to show through that hole.. my problem is that it is not a shader so would I just caulk the top brush of the map and put a skybox with that facing downward with a portal_sky to it??? i tried to just raise the sides of the map up and tex it with the same desert2 but you can see the corners n everything. i have been using a light blue light to shine down into my arena through the hole and it also doubles as a nice ring around my moon so that will probably mess it up if i turn it into a skybox.. any suggestions?
 wedge2211
07-26-2004, 6:51 PM
the IMAGE desert2_up is part of a sky shader. You want to find the appropriate shader, and use that instead.
 Jedi_Vogel
07-26-2004, 7:01 PM
it'll be an ickle blue box that prints "sky" all over your sky in Radiant...

but you already knew that right?
 Nalukai
07-26-2004, 9:26 PM
i got it... yay!! it was the kejim sky shader.... thats why i couldnt find a desert2... its the same thing just adds the mountains to it... :D i dont even need a skybox now... lol
 Jedi_Vogel
07-27-2004, 3:03 PM
Not often you get a funny moment in mapping, but that's one of them :lol:
 Nalukai
07-28-2004, 12:31 AM
^^ :D
 EvilJedi
07-28-2004, 2:26 AM
I'm still confused :confused:

The only thing is, that the sky didn't do this before, but now that my map is near completion, it just HAS to do it...

It did the same on my last map, but my last map only had 1 sky shader (that I just couldn't solve by blocking it somehow) and I just put a box around it covered in a dark texture. Yet here, I have a huge drop with a cushion on the bottom (and it's like 10 or 12 times the height of any other room in my map), which shows up when I play my map. It really looks like crap.
 Jedi_Vogel
07-28-2004, 6:02 PM
Have you put your sky shader on the bottom?
 EvilJedi
07-29-2004, 2:39 AM
I mean that i can see it from the top of my open grass area and i can see into it...

Can I put a brush in it's place but make it really far away and cover that in a sky texture? I dont mean make my whole map in a box but just a medium sized box around the rooms that I want to have a sky around?
 Jedi_Vogel
07-29-2004, 3:26 PM
If you have rooms with windows, just put the sky shader over the window...but I had a bad issue with the "down" shader, so either have your windows high up OR create a little grounds outside to prevent looking "down into your sky".
 EvilJedi
07-31-2004, 5:25 AM
I just have it like this:

I W I I S I
I I I I H I
I N I I A I
I D I I D I
I O I I E I
I W I I R I

kinda like that.. Yet it still shows the other rooms.

Oh and i tried the brushes thing, it looks really bad...
 socompsycho
07-31-2004, 7:17 PM
i've got the same problem with my map. I've got some spots where the sky shader lets you see other parts of the map that i don't want people to see like that.
 WadeV1589
08-01-2004, 5:48 AM
Post an image of your map in Radiant, top down so we can see the structure of your map in the area where the skybox is and the other room - label it as well so we can see where the window is and where the room is that you can see through it.
 EvilJedi
08-01-2004, 9:10 PM
I drew it in paint and it came out weird.
Well i'll give it a try...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/EvilJedi/Silence2.bmp)
 WadeV1589
08-02-2004, 5:42 AM
dude all I see is a mess on a 318x229 image, I can't make anything out!

Post at least a 640x480 JPEG.
 EvilJedi
08-02-2004, 2:46 PM
 EvilJedi
08-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh and I'm using GTK Radiant 1.4
 Codja X
08-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by EvilJedi

Can I put a brush in it's place but make it really far away and cover that in a sky texture? I dont mean make my whole map in a box but just a medium sized box around the rooms that I want to have a sky around?

That's exactly what you can do.

Generally, if you have geometry behind a sky, it will show through, so you're going to have to design your map around this.
 WadeV1589
08-05-2004, 1:31 PM
Image not found.

And if you think about it, if you can see a room through the skybox then you've designed something wrong anyway because you should be able to see it anyway otherwise it'd be like the tardis!

The exception to this are unlinked rooms - but usually a fullvis compile fixes those if they aren't linked together.
 Immenor
08-17-2004, 1:15 AM
This is a different sky question. For one my computer is really old, so i can;t load the skies texture set. i have to load the sky by going into the surface inspector and typeing in the path to it. textures/skies/kejim ya know.

now i can load bespin skies cus the sky texture is in the bespin textures.. but, all my other skies i try act like there caulk in game... i dont get it.
 EvilJedi
08-17-2004, 7:46 PM
go in assets1 or 0 (i forgot which one), go to textures then skies you will get all the names of the skies.
Page: 1 of 1