Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

any onw knows where i can dl .rim extractor and builder?

Page: 1 of 1
 aluuan
07-22-2004, 8:14 AM
any onw knows where i can dl .rim extractor and builder?
 Darth Dex
07-22-2004, 8:37 AM
*sigh* Why did we bother to make a Sticky Called:
List of Downloads: Mods and Tools"

Also, KOtor Tool Extacts them.
 aluuan
07-22-2004, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Darth Dex
*sigh* Why did we bother to make a Sticky Called:
List of Downloads: Mods and Tools"

Also, KOtor Tool Extacts them.
kotor tool Cant extract and it cant rebuild back to .rim it only can make mods/save/hack files nothing else. what i want is to make a new .rim file to replace the end_m01aa.rim default file.
 Darth Dex
07-22-2004, 12:27 PM
yes it can extact .rim files. it cant make new ones but it can make, .mod files that are the same as .rim (kind of) and KotOR reavitness them.
 messkell
07-22-2004, 4:33 PM
aluuan, go to the sticky thread Darth Dex mentioned, and click the link "rim builder" by eiz. this will download iotools-exe-0.0.tar.gz

the iotools archive contains a command line executable called rim32_build.exe which can be used for building .rim files :)
 aluuan
07-22-2004, 8:01 PM
whats the trick getting the rim builer to work?
 messkell
07-23-2004, 3:54 AM
1. place the rim32_build.exe and all the files that will comprise of your new .rim file(files such as .ncs, .dlg, etc) into a working directory.

2. then, access the "command prompt"

To access the MSDOS command prompt on Windows 95/98/ME,
go to Start -> Run and type 'command' without the quotation
marks.

On Windows NT/2000/XP, go to Start -> Run and type 'cmd'
without the quotation marks.

3. at the command prompt type/enter the full path to the working
directory(previously mentioned in step #1).

4. then type "rim32_build output.rim" without the quotes.
note: output.rim is just an example. you can use whatever
name you want.
 aluuan
07-23-2004, 6:06 AM
thanks alot i can do some serious moding now:)
 T7nowhere
07-23-2004, 6:26 AM
I have had some trouble with the rim extractor and builder. With the extractor Im am getting missing filesand with the builder It doubles the Sive of the Rims and basicaly corrupts them.

hmm. :confused: Perhaps Im not doing something correctly. I'll try it agian.
 messkell
07-23-2004, 3:58 PM
T7nowhere, I basically use the latest version of kotor tool to extract the entire contents of an existing .rim to a working directory. I have never used the rim extractor.

Next, I take the files I created/modified(.dlg's, new .ncs's,etc) and
place them into the working directory.

I then take the rim32_build and place it into the working directory, and go to the command prompt.

at the command prompt, I change the path to the working directory, and then type "rim32_build output.rim" without the quotes.

these are the basic steps I use every time to create a new .rim file.

I hope this helps:)

messkell
 animeangel
10-31-2005, 3:27 AM
Hi. I’m a complete n00b at this, and until I discovered HazardX’s script compiler, the words Command Prompt were usually followed by ‘Huh?”

Anyway, I’ve had trouble getting the Command Prompt to work for me. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong though, so I’ll describe my problem in detail. :D

Ok. I’ve put rim32_build.exe and all my required files in a working folder. I open the command prompt, and it comes up with this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tara>

I can’t use the backspace key at this point, so I type in my path. It now looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tara>C:\Documents and Settings\Tara\My Documents\Downl
oads\Working\rim32_build lev_m40aa_s.rim

Now I press enter. It comes up with this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tara>C:\Documents and Settings\Tara\My Documents\Downl
oads\Working\rim32_build lev_m40aa_s.rim
'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tara>

So err… here’s where I give up and go get a coffee. As far as I can tell, I’m not doing anything wrong. But, as I said, I’m a complete n00b. If anyone can help me I’d greatly appreciate it.
 Fred Tetra
10-31-2005, 9:27 AM
I have to say I am wondering why you want to create .rim files, but, to help you out, here's a few links to some help pages:

Top 10 DOS commands
http://www.computerhope.com/dostop10.htm)

Microsoft Windows XP Command Prompt reference
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx)

These are just the first two hits on Google (http://www.google.com), but I checked them out and they're pretty good.

One thing to know is that paths in Windows that contain spaces often need to be surrounded by double quote (") marks. Some programs/commands are smart enough to parse paths with spaces in them, others are not; you can usually play it safe by putting the quotes around a path. The reason is that spaces are used to separate elements of a command (the command and its various parameters), and the first space in your above path makes windows think you are issuing the 'C:\Documents' command with 'and Settings\Tara\My Documents\Downloads\Working\rim32_build' and 'lev_m40aa_s.rim' as parameters. The form is just fine (if you add the double quote (") marks), specifying the explicit path to an executable in the command, but it makes for lots of typing. :) It is often easier to change the current path (what you see before the ">" prompt) to the directory where the executable exists.

So here's some directions that might make this easier.
They assume that:
[list]
You're logged into a Windows XP session with the user id 'Tara'
You've created a Downloads directory (folder) inside of your My Documents directory
You've created a Working directory (folder) inside of the aforementioned Downloads directory
You've placed a copy of the rim32_build.exe file in that directory
All of the files you want to put inside of the .rim file are also in that same directory

1. Start up the command prompt: Start | Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt or 'run' the cmd.exe from Start | Run. (When I set up Windows on a PC, I Contol-click-drag a copy of the Command Prompt item from the first location above to the Start Menu, so I always have it right there.

2. Assuming you're still keeping your files in the path show in your prior post, type
cd My Documents\Downloads\Working. This command changes directory to what you specify. Fortunately, Windows XP's cd command knows how to handle paths with spaces in them; earlier versions of Windows required you to enclose the target path in quotes.

3. Just to check, type dir to see what's in the directory you just changed to, and verify that your files are indeed present.

4. now type rim32_build lev_m40aa_s.rim. If you're set everything up as described, and I haven't forgotten anything, you should end up with a .rim file.
 Kristy Kistic
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
The down side of the rim builder is that it packs itself (rim32_build.exe) into the rim. Effectively adding about 240k to the size of the rim :(
 Fred Tetra
10-31-2005, 1:24 PM
Not having seen a proper command line usage of rim32_build, I simply used the one show earlier in the post. Perhaps it takes a wildcarded file list?
 Tupac Amaru
10-31-2005, 4:46 PM
The down side of the rim builder is that it packs itself (rim32_build.exe) into the rim. Effectively adding about 240k to the size of the rim :(

This normally happens if you put the rimbuilder in the same folder as the files you want to include into the .rim. Just run the program from a different folder and specify the directory where it can find the files it should build into a .rim like
rim_32build c:\rimfiles lev_m40aa_s.rim

The first parameter is the source folder, the second the output file.
 animeangel
11-01-2005, 2:03 AM
It worked! *cheers*
You guys are great. Thanks for the help. :D
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
11-01-2005, 8:59 AM
I'm confused, what do you need a .rim builder for, I've been getting into modules and KT does everything I've needed so far?
 animeangel
11-03-2005, 1:11 AM
Well, I was using it to re-package the rim file included with KOTOR, lev_m40aa_s.rim, otherwise known as the Leviathan's Prison Block. There was probably another way to do it, but it's beyond me. :D I'm making a recruitment mod, and wanted to edit the conversation in which you decide who will rescue you from the Leviathan. I had to remove T3. (Beep boop beep!)
Unfortunately, this file used the same name as the conversation in which Bastila 'saves' you from Malak, so I couldn't just put it in the Override folder. Hence, I needed to repackage the rim. :D
Man, that ^ looks confusing...
 cjt0202
11-03-2005, 9:21 AM
Well, I was using it to re-package the rim file included with KOTOR, lev_m40aa_s.rim, otherwise known as the Leviathan's Prison Block. There was probably another way to do it, but it's beyond me. :D ... Unfortunately, this file used the same name as the conversation in which Bastila 'saves' you from Malak, so I couldn't just put it in the Override folder. Hence, I needed to repackage the rim.
I ran into the same problem. The dialogue on the beach after the temple has the same name as the dialogue on the Ebon Hawk after you crash on the Unknown World (and boy did I utter a few choice words when I realized that the mod that was breaking the scene was my own!). I checked out how the "Shores of Death" mod handled it since it had to have been working on the same dialogue I was, and that had repackaged the entire module. But that approach just seemed like way too much bother for my little silliness. What I ended up doing was renaming my dialogue file, decompiling the script that launched the dialogue and editing it to call the renamed version instead.
 Darth333
11-03-2005, 9:34 AM
Anyways, you don't need a rim builder for this: just use Kotor tool>Tools>Open ERF/MOD builder and pack your file as a .mod file. Drop it in the modules folder and it will have priority over the original game file. This also has the advantage that you do not have to worry about making a back up of your original rim file since they don't have the same extension.
 Kristy Kistic
11-10-2005, 12:43 AM
For whatever reason, my files don't work correctly when packed into a mod. Characters disappear and cutscenes break as opposed to putting the exact same files in a rim which works fine for me.
 Darth333
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
I never had any such problems. Are you packing eveything in the same .mod file? (.are , .ifo., .git and other files related to your module)
 Kristy Kistic
11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Well maybe I'm doing it wrong. For example I packed the .are .git .ifo in a mod and named it sta_m45ad.mod. (no changes) I then took all the files from sta_m45ad_s.rim - replaced one dialog file and packed them into a mod named sta_m45ad_s.mod. I dropped the files into the modules folder and although it did load, there was nothing to do since the main reason your on the viewing deck wasn't there.
 RedHawke
11-11-2005, 12:34 AM
You have to pack everything for that one level in the one mod file. ;)
 Kristy Kistic
11-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Well then I was doing it wrong. I'll give it a try :)
 Darth333
11-11-2005, 9:38 AM
Yes, pack everything in sta_m45ad.mod and it should work :)
 Darth_Pavel
11-12-2005, 8:45 PM
Funny. I found something that could build .rims files. But outputing two seperate files is not what I'm into, so I perfer .mod files.

And before anyone asks, it's made by Dashus & JdNoa, it's a java program, and it works. But I don't remember where I got it.
Page: 1 of 1