Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Video Tuts

Page: 1 of 1
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 1:16 PM
Hi there gang here are some of my great free video tutorials on mapping.
Your Very First Room: http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/level1.zip)
Stairs & Ramps: http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/stairs&ramps.zip)
Fire & Colored Lights: http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/fire&lights.zip)
Func_doors: http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/func_door.zip)
Connecting 2 rooms: Learn how to do it. the easy way.
http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/connect_2_rooms.zip)
Creating the door with glass above it learn how i did it.
http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/Create_The) Door.zip
Learn how to import .md3 models and place them so that you cannot walk thru them.
http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/import.zip)
Spotlights: Learn how to create spotlights.
http://www.3d-wiz.com/tuts/spotlights.zip)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all i currently have for download but i have more on there way i will add them here.

If you have a video tutorial request email it to jedigammer@hotmail.com I will review it and add it to the list of video tutorials to be made.

Here is a small sample of what vid tuts are on there way.

Elevators: With a 5 second wait time at the top of its movment. And a set speed so it doesnt just zip up to the top.

Rain & Snow: I will teach you how to add rain, snow, fog, water that moves etc....

Button Panels: Learn how to create a button panel that triggers doors, elevators, weapons, Npcs, etc......

Adding Custom Textures to the game: Learn how to do it.

And Many Many More!!

:atat: :band: :bdroid1: :bdroid2: :biggs: :deathstar :deathii: :evanpiel:
 lwwiz
07-21-2004, 1:54 PM
okay i updated the above list of vids for you guys enjoy. is there anyway one of you mods can make this a sticky so it is always viewable by all us mappers?
 zeimi
07-22-2004, 3:10 AM
You should also include some video codec info about your video files. Most of them are refusing to play in my WMP.
 Ockniel
07-22-2004, 5:22 AM
hey, does the spotlight one tell how to may the rays of light, or just the circles of light on the ground?

Im to lazy to just dl em' and see :P
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-22-2004, 6:08 AM
Nice tuts, but try to make tuts from something, which is a bit complicater and not as easy to do as in the video ;)
All of them are more for "mappingn00bs" :D
 lwwiz
07-22-2004, 11:45 AM
yeah im trying to make these for beginners as us better mappers already know this stuff. and no just the spotlights on the ground bro.
 Jedi_Vogel
07-22-2004, 6:50 PM
As lighting is by far my weakest point and I'll havta experiment soon, I'm guessing the "rays" are in fact spot lights, but are targeted in mid air?

I'm not quite sure to be honest, better ask lwwiz how he did them :D :lol:
 lwwiz
07-23-2004, 10:20 AM
For the lights i just added a model with a light under it then i placed a info_null were i wanted the spotlight to be. then select the light then the null and press ctrl K wich will create a spotlight its that simple enhjoy ,but my tut show u that.
 lauser
07-23-2004, 3:45 PM
Lwwiz, I just looked at your importing models tutorial. Like I have said in the past you need to do more research with your tutorials. But I will correct this one for now:

First off how will the mapper get the MD3? Will the model files be installed by Radiant or will the mapper have to open up assets0 and extract the model files on their own into the models folder? That's what I thought.
Secondly using BLOCK_player or BLOCK_NPC is ONLY used for BOTS. Use model_clip or physics_clip from the system menu. This will allow laser blasts and explosions to hit the clip instead of going right through the model. Using Block will allow those effects to pass through, you don't want that.
Another reminder: DO NOT use spawnflags to clip models of ANY kind UNLESS it's terrain.

PLEASE!! Do your research and REDO your tutorials Lwizz. All you are going to end up doing is having new mappers come on to the forums complaining your tutorials are either wrong or asking the veterans why this application doesn't work. And that means more threads we don't need on the forums. Okay? Thanks.
 lwwiz
07-23-2004, 4:05 PM
hey bro thats true. i will try to redo the ones that ppl have complained about wich is u only no one else on the other forums has really complained. And when i installed jka the models were automaticly put there so no need to extract the pk3.
 lwwiz
07-28-2004, 12:37 PM
okay go to http://www.3d-wiz.com) and click on tutorials to see all my new vids and the ones i already had posted here.
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-28-2004, 2:52 PM
To "Making Terain with gtk":
You can't make it so...or only bad terains, because when you make it with more details, you can't play it, because of an error ;) There is a way to make terains with gtk, but not with patches...
 lwwiz
07-28-2004, 3:24 PM
hmm i seem to be able to do it just fine with no errors mabie its something your doing wrong whatch the vid and see how i do it.
 lauser
07-28-2004, 3:48 PM
Okay first off Lwwiz, you changed your website and I can't find a dam tutorial ANYWHERE!!
Secondly, NO You do not use patchwork for terrain unless you want errors and poor framerate. Otherwise everyone would be using patches all over the place. Small patches are fine for the odd bump or whatever. But using patches all over to create terrain....NO.
 RDX1
07-28-2004, 4:08 PM
How do you correctly place terrian then?
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-28-2004, 4:43 PM
EasyGen? O_o
 RDX1
07-28-2004, 5:01 PM
What do you consider 'big' and 'small'? Are moutians that cover a building (1000 x 500) too big?
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-28-2004, 5:08 PM
Patches musn't be too complece, because the engine can't compile that and you can't play it ;)
 lwwiz
07-28-2004, 5:29 PM
hey guys my site is http://www.3d-wiz.com) just click on tutorials and i have never had a prob with it so i see nothing wrong with it at all. Anyways lets not fight about it i have my opionon and u have yours.
 lauser
07-28-2004, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by lwwiz
hey guys my site is http://www.3d-wiz.com) just click on tutorials and i have never had a prob with it so i see nothing wrong with it at all. Anyways lets not fight about it i have my opionon and u have yours.

That's like saying "Eh..just put some ducktape on the gaping hole in your boat before you traverse those rapids, I've never had a problem with it"

GEEZUZ lwwiz, I told you to do your studying BEFORE you post TUTORIALS! Don't come on these forums and pretend you know it all, that's what these forums are for!

Now, would you tell someone to use normal caulk for water? NO, because it's FACT that using caulk NON_SOLID or WATER_caulk for JA will give you water that you can swim in or walk through rather. So don't continue to give bad advice guy. Because we are not talking about OPINION here. We are talking about SOLID FACTS.

DUMMY UP! :mad:

Now for the rest of you NON veteran mappers:

You want terrain? Go look at THESE (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=12) tutorials and NOT lwwiz delusions. Yes you can use small patches for terrain like I said. Patches lets say like 200 x 200 units or 800 x 800 units and so on. DO NOT make patches 4000 x 3000 units, you will only create problems with your map.

If you want to do some smaller scale custom terrain then just make some square shaped brushes all the same size and press V for vertex edit. These will look nice after they are textured properly.
Gothix, help me out here.....:rolleyes:
 lwwiz
07-29-2004, 2:20 PM
bro i happen to belive differently then you thats just what i belive i dont want to fight about it but i dont think its your right to tell others that my tuts arent good as i have had nothing cept from you good comments a little crits wich i have worked on and my tuts are getting better. sorry bro but please dont bagger me or others for what we think is a good way.
 mergatroid
07-29-2004, 4:16 PM
The simple patch mesh is good for making some nice terrain but, like Lauser said, do not use them excesively. I've had a good map ruined because one whole side of it was a patch mesh. If you want to make good, smooth terrain, use easygen. There are hill plugins that you can put in to make it smooth and all. Easygen also has a blending tool that makes your terrain MUCH more apealing to look at. Who wants to see one boring texture clash with an other when you can blend them?
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-29-2004, 5:00 PM
Its' easy, for terains, don't use too complexe patches...only use them for smaller parts, that's it...not difficile :p
Anyway, use easygen, thats 1) easier to make and 2) better resultats =)
 lauser
07-29-2004, 6:21 PM
Look lwwiz, I'm sorry I snapped at you. But hear this: You tell people how to do it in a way that's going to cause problems, a lot more people are going to come back to these forums wondering why it doesn't work. Now you'll have your hands full of mappers complaining your way makes things more difficult. I hate telling you I told you so. So, learn the hard way I guess. I'm not on these forums giving tried and true tested ways and advice for my health you know. :rolleyes:
 Jedi_Vogel
07-29-2004, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by lauser
I'm not on these forums giving tried and true tested ways and advice for my health you know. :rolleyes:

No, for the health of idjits like me :D
 lwwiz
07-30-2004, 11:29 AM
i understand were your comming from bro but what if someone doesnt want to learn a new program? this is a alternitive to that problem. I might also make a tut on making terrain in your fav proggy and converting it to a md3 so you can use it in the game that way making it a solid object that might also work. But for the time being i geuss since after reading this thread no one would download that tut anyway k.
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-30-2004, 11:34 AM
No, you can't make terains with your method, or only very, very little ones...!
 Mercenary
07-30-2004, 9:08 PM
I have a suggestion for you lwwiz, you should have someone more experienced check over your material before you make a video out of it. You'll avoid errors and prevent things like this.

I haven't seen your video tuts myself but I think they're a good idea. Keep it up :thumbsup:
 RDX1
07-30-2004, 10:05 PM
As I said on the other forum, your tutorials are helpful. You need to be more organized first though, you tend to say one thing, then go "Not that". Another helpful idea would be for the more advanced tutorials like your door tutorial (More advanced then making a room) Since people already know how to make a room, you don't need to show them how to make one again, that just adds more time to the video that does not need to be added.
 B00mer
07-31-2004, 12:37 AM
sorry sloopy but this is annoying me... stop saying bro. Im not your brother, neither is lauser. Its obnoxious. I like your effort alot. It sure did give me a jumpstart. Please do make more, but make sure that they are more complicated then making a spotlight, then messing up at the end, and saying that it "would" work if you had done something else... then ending the tutorial. If you mess up that badly, you have to restart. If you dont, it shows you put little effort into the tutorials.

thanks for helping me on aim.
 RDX1
07-31-2004, 5:23 AM
I just watched your func_door tutorial. The reaosnw hy it didn't work that time is because you gave the glass targetname door - It should of been target door and the door should have had target_name door.
 Andur_Sunrider
07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Mapping methods may have changed since I began, but I was always told that using csg subtract was a sloppy method to use. Also that the hollow button was sloppy as well. I watched the connecting two rooms tutorial. and thats all I saw used. The brushes were going through eachother, which has always been a big no no in my book. I do believe that will cause fps to go down, because when you go to texture it, theres going to be sparklies. Which is another big no no.

Anyways I would suggest you do what Lauser says. Do your research before making a tutorial. Then once you have made it, have it checked out by a much more experienced mapper. Never hurts to get another opinion before you publish something. Plus it never hurts to do a little extra research.

Oh and I was wondering, if you could give me a url to a map youve, done. Wouldnt mind checking it out. That way I can see mapping experience.

*Edit: I was just browsing around your site, and I came acrossed something very interesting. You say if someone wants your to make mulitple maps then there is a fee. I do hope that you know its illegal to charge someone for making maps.
 lwwiz
07-31-2004, 1:54 PM
hey guys thanks for all the comments and crits and your right i have messed up on a few of the tuts and the reason that i make them were makinf a room and such is for beginners. I am working on a map called testrin its on my site. and i am not charging for the map itself just my time that im making not the map itsself. wich i dont think is illegal besdes i dont know who it was but a budddy of mine that im making a map for he said one guys wanted to charge him 25 to 350 a map so it cant be illegal. Anyways ill try to make my tuts better in the future and to let you know im only 15 so i doubt that i could do something perfect and yes i have messed up on the func_door tuts and the spotlights tut lol but i think i know that now pretty much everybody has told me so lets just let that rest ill redo the tuts that have errors just tell me wich ones and wer ei messed up and trhen ill redo them to the T. Oh and about me saying bro. It is just a habbit of mine i am sorry its not ment as like brother just like instead of saying dude or guy / gal. sorry if i have offended anyone by it it was not intended. Oh ps. i cant get this lucas forums system to send me a email when someone replys anyone know why?
 Andur_Sunrider
07-31-2004, 2:30 PM
Even though its for beginners, its better to show them the proper and better way of doing things, that way they don't run into problems down the road.

If you look at the license agreement you get with the game you will find this in it.
"(6) New Levels may not be sold, bartered, or distributed with any other product
for which any charge is made (other than incidental charges for time spent on-line), but
rather must be distributed free of charge at all times. "

It is ILLEGAL to charge someone for making it.
 lwwiz
07-31-2004, 2:59 PM
well i dont want to fight with you but im obeying those rules im only charging for my time not the level itself sorry but i am and i dont think ill have any custommers anytime soon.
 lauser
07-31-2004, 4:21 PM
You are charging money? Wow, now I've heard it all. You better look into that my friend before LucasArts comes knocking on your door.
Why anyone would charge money in an OPENSOURCE forum is beyond me. Sad to say the least.

Oh ps. i cant get this lucas forums system to send me a email when someone replys anyone know why?

Look underneath the reply box, you will see 4 boxes with options. Check Email Notification.
 RDX1
07-31-2004, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by Andur_Sunrider
Even though its for beginners, its better to show them the proper and better way of doing things, that way they don't run into problems down the road.

If you looked at Rich's tutorials on his site he told people to use Hollow, then later on said don't use that, use this method instead because of this reason.

It's easier for the new people until they know their way around to use sloppy methods, and then when they are ready tell them not to use it and how to do it properly. I know when I first started I had no idea which way is up or down, no knowing how to move around the system. Now after only a few days on working on it I'm doing fine.

I hear everyone say: "Don't rush into your map". Then they should have time to get used to the system if they never worked in 2D/3D before. lwwiz Maybe you should make your next tutorial explaining how to do it the right way.

Also, I don't think charging someone for you map is the right thing to do, most of the players here are under 18 and don't have the money to spend. What's going to make your map so special that they are want to go and buy it from you? I personally am creating my map because it makes me feel good at what I'm trying to accomplish and how others might enjoy it. (People I've told say they will be waiting for it)

Well, that's my opinion on the selling your map idea, but it is YOUR map; I'm not going to change how you are going to distribute your map, because it's not my place to say so.
 lwwiz
07-31-2004, 5:41 PM
hey like i said im not selling maps only if someone would want to hire me to maie a map. I didnt mean only jka i ment if a company saw my work and liked it let me know and we can mabie work out me making maps for a game or something i wasnt thinking anyone here would really want a map made.
And ive always had email notify on but it doesnt work help plz.
 Andur_Sunrider
08-01-2004, 12:22 AM
No offence man, but your maps arent that high of quality for a company to hire you. None the less, I do believe its still breaking that license agreement. Also is there a map I can download to see your work in game? Or have you even made a public release yet?
Page: 1 of 1