Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Door switches

Page: 1 of 1
 Shamus
07-03-2004, 12:30 PM
In RichDiesel's famous tutorials he says that door switches (the kind that everybody does a brush swap out for to change from 'off' to 'on' and back) can be done easier with a script, but I haven't been able to find an example--even in the JO/JA stuff. Does anyone know what he was talking about? Is it possible to use an animated shader to accomplish this? Or is a brush swapout the only way to change the texture?

:confused:
 lassev
07-03-2004, 2:25 PM
A func_usable has a function to freeze an animated shader, and when used, switch to the next anim stage. Thus, you can easily build for example the code screens that can have for example 4 different symbols and you must type the right one to open some door (like in the first JO SP level).

However, it's not necessarily a great way to do a switch, since I don't think anim stages support different glows for each anim image. Thus, it would make quite a dull switch. It's really easy to have two func_usables in the same place, the other turned_off (invisible) and the other on. You can use a far more complicated and pleasant switch shader that way.

I have fancied building a multi-level scripted elevator with the floor number (up to eight) showing on one screen (using these switchable anim stages), and a button next to it would then launch the elevator to whatever floor number the player had happened to leave on that screen. That would be kind of cool. Too bad I have no map in which to use such an elevator...
 Shamus
07-03-2004, 3:26 PM
Hmm... So you couldn't use two animMaps and use a blend function to link them in a shader to get the right glows?

/me goes to look in JO/JA for an animated glowing shader... :D
 *Dark
07-04-2004, 1:16 PM
If you can make that elevator that would be really good. I know a few maps where i would like to use it, if only i knew how. Maybe you could make a tutorial about how to make it. The way i know how, it would take me 22 different scripts to make that, and that does not seem all the nice. The problem i have is that when you call the elevator to the level where the button is pressed, it would need a diff script for each level because the possitions would be different. If there was a command that allowed you to know weather a button was being used, then it would cut things down, but i dont know if there is one
 lassev
07-04-2004, 3:13 PM
Yeah. I wouldn't need more than two or three scripts for it, and they would be pretty simple scripts. The reason I haven't done it or written a tutorial (beside the reason I haven't had a map requiring such) is that it might not work in MP. Of course, I map only SP, and so it wouldn't matter to me personally whether it works in MP or not, but I don't know if it is worth a tutorial without MP compatibility.
 *Dark
07-05-2004, 10:18 AM
send me a email here (j@higgs0029.freeserve.co.uk) and we can talk about this some more.
Page: 1 of 1