Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Legal

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Dex
06-26-2004, 8:17 AM
Would it be legal to make mods as long as you don't give them out?
 Darth_ToMeR
06-26-2004, 8:53 AM
lol. Yes it is .
 Darth333
06-26-2004, 9:34 AM
Erm... (lawyer thinking) :rolleyes:
You don't want a real legal opinion do you?
To make a long story short, let's just say that it's tolerated :D
 Darth Dex
06-26-2004, 4:53 PM
I know the big deals about laws and all, but if you don't give it to anyone would it be considered legal?
 tk102
06-26-2004, 10:05 PM
If mods were sold rather than free, I think there would be more of an issue here.
 override367
06-26-2004, 11:49 PM
a bunch of us here would be in serious legal trouble if making mods was illegal...

*technically* it is, but if you take the EULA to it's strictess definitions, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to look at the box
 Darth333
06-27-2004, 1:02 AM
As long as you don't step too hard on LA's foot it should be ok :D
( free (il)legal opinion :D :D :D )
 Jackel
06-27-2004, 1:13 AM
Like Darth said , aslong as we dont bite the hand that feeds us (or raher tolerates us) then we should be fine , if however we start modding *.exe files and the like i can guarantee LA coming down HARD on anyone doing it

Certain things will be tolerated then others , for instance adding items, new areas characters etc is more then likely fine (aslong as we keep to the spirit of star wars , no swearing etc) but calling mods things such as expansion packs and Kotor 3 / 2 etc wouldnt be if they see your doing so
 PrtyLizardJedi
06-27-2004, 9:06 AM
Yeah, it's like copying music. You can copy the stuff, but you can't sell 'em. Or you can, but that is extremely stupid :)
 Caporegime1986
06-27-2004, 3:00 PM
Well, most companies tolerate modding, some crack down on it, while a rare few (like CA, the Total War guys, for example) actually encourage it as long as you don't hack the game. If you DO hack the game, your up sh** creak, metephorically speaking.
So as long as you don't sell the mods or hack the .exe, its fine.
_Capo
 Prime
06-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Modding KOTOR and distributing mods is in fact illegal according to the EULA. Making and using mods for your own use is not illegal because it is covered under fair use. Whether you sell or distribute mods freely is the same in legal terms, which is to say, illegal.
 Darth Dex
06-28-2004, 8:13 AM
Thanks Prime you gave me the answer I wanted. :syoda: :lightning
 Darth Khasei
06-28-2004, 1:35 PM
Yes, everyone of us that have distributed our mods to others is in violaion of the EULA. However, I really think that they privately love it. Free advertisment for the game to those that are likely to buy the game here on the net.

I also make movies for games and EVERYONE of them violates EULA's, but the companies love it. They even try to find ways to use the videos to advertise "under the table" at trade shows etc... I have gotten more than a few e-mails from companies asking to use them, always making sure to say it not for profit and that its not really advertisments. Err, um ya right, ok sure.

As has been stated as long as it is within the scope of the main project you will have ZERO legal problems with the gaming companies. Try to make some cash or show a nude Bastila, then you will think they have been watching you all along with how fast their lawyers "get in touch" with you:D
 Jackel
06-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Also where you are making big mods , meaning things like new levels etc you should have a blurb saying "Star Wars isa registered trademark of LucasFilms" and other stuff about the engine , the setting etc making sure to put something about how they own everything just to cover your own butt

Of course if you get a note from LA saying cease and desist you butter stop that instant or else you will lose big time
 tk102
06-29-2004, 12:33 AM
you should have a blurb saying "Star Wars isa registered trademark of LucasFilms"

I added that bit to KSE too.
 Jackel
06-29-2004, 12:49 AM
For TK102

http://www.aestheticdesign.com/images/cookies.jpg)

slightly off topic what ever happened to that generic readme idea i suggested with the pieces saying this isnt official , isnt supported by LA etc etc ? i was hoping someone would write one up
 tk102
06-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Yum, thanks Jackel! Oh was that a bribe? LOL.
Page: 1 of 1