Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's the best way to create sand dunes?

Page: 1 of 1
 Mercenary
06-17-2004, 3:51 AM
I need to create some sand dunes to act as a perimeter wall around certain parts of my map. What's the best method to create them so they look realistic?
 Druid Bremen
06-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Patch meshes I think.
 *Dark
06-17-2004, 1:26 PM
depends on how much time you have. You could try easygen (google search) but when i tried it, it did not work for me. Patches will work, but if it is too steep the texture gets distorted. I find that a mixture of patches and brushes work well. If it is a very large area that you are thring to make then dont use one patch because it is a b*gger to edit. Use 3x3 or 5x5 then merge them at the end with bobtools extentions, if indeed you merge them at all, it is not nessessary.
 Ice Dyn4stY™
06-17-2004, 1:59 PM
Take EasyGen, I take it too, it's easy to make, looks a bit strange, but it's not bad ;)
www.darth-arth.de) - here you can download it and you'll found a tutorial (In german)
 GothiX
06-17-2004, 6:14 PM
Trisoup it, vertex edit it, then apply a shader to it with q3map_nonplanar and q3map_shadeangle in it. For blending, check SplashDamage for alphaMod blending tutorials.
 way
06-20-2004, 5:56 AM
yep,
nothing over alpha_mod blending:D

But do you need it for a dune?
 GothiX
06-20-2004, 7:22 AM
Possibly, to accent some places with a darker texture.
Page: 1 of 1