Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My "Grey" saber

Page: 1 of 1
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-16-2004, 3:31 AM
err... i attempted to make a grey saber but it turned out white in the game http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v243/darklordrevan/greysaber.jpg:confused): :confused: :confused:

o and their my blue gammoreans in the bg :)
 RedHawke
06-16-2004, 3:36 AM
I think the game treats gray as transparent. But don't quote me on that. :D

The blue Gamorreans are cool though!
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-16-2004, 3:40 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
I think the game treats gray as transparent. But don't quote me on that. :D

The blue Gamorreans are cool though!
i c... but wouldent transperent be invisible... ohwell... hmm... grey=white eh and i jst changed the hue for da gammorreans.. :P first mods i made... i also turned da gizkas red and the tachs whitish gray :P it looks weird ill try get a screenie later
 RedHawke
06-16-2004, 3:47 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord Re\/an
i c... but wouldent transperent be invisible... ohwell... hmm... grey=white eh and i jst changed the hue for da gammorreans.. :P first mods i made... i also turned da gizkas red and the tachs whitish gray :P it looks weird ill try get a screenie later

Yeah, playing with the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness/Gamma can create some interesting effects/skins.
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-16-2004, 4:55 AM
yea i know... ive made heaps of em... but back to the question... how would i make a grey lightsaber?
 svцsh
06-17-2004, 1:19 PM
I made black one's the trick is the txi file

Code:
--------------------
decal1
-------------------
copy and paste this (no dotted lines )in to notepad, manually save the extention as .txi and save it as same name as your .tga

Your welcome to tear my black saber blades apart to see what I did then change the core to gray or glow or what ever you want

svцsh
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 2:03 AM
thanx ill have a look at it now

*edit* ok i looked at w_lsabreblue01.tga... did you make a whole new file for that or just mod another???

*edit.. again* o and what does the decal do exactly???

*edit.. again.. again* in my .txi file it has:

blending additive
decal 1
 sheedee
06-18-2004, 11:11 AM
It's because of the blending. You cant make a gray lightsaber unless you change blending from additive to something else.

Aditive blending takes the numeric value of each colour in the texture (Red, Green and Blue) and adds them to the values of background, so gray looks like white, dark blue looks like azura, etcetera.
 DarkLord Re\/an
06-18-2004, 11:13 AM
what about blending negative??

it would be alot easier if it was all in html form... e.g.

000000=black
00FF18=light green
blah blah blah u get the point
 svцsh
06-18-2004, 6:57 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord Re\/an
*edit.. again.. again* in my .txi file it has:

blending additive
decal 1
did you make a whole new file for that or just mod another???

Ok my advise to everyone here is open the originals and work from there. I have no problem with you using my black blades they took 15 min to make and mean nothing to me. I made them for others personally I don't like black sabers but to each there own :)

THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE IN YOUR TXI this is not a standard white core blade. so you have to break the ruels, there is no blending negative this is it!!!. This alows black to show so it will work with gray as well.

decal 1

The steps I took to make my 5 black blades this will work for your gray ones as well.

1 > extracted the originals Grabbed each flattened tga and brought them in one on top of each other so I had all 5 glow colours in one .psd I think it was blue but it really doesn’t matter. Then closed the other glow tga.s we only need these for naming later.

2 >made a new layer, solid black paint bucket fill and turned off the layer (this step is optional to cover the original design) depending on your blade design

3 > (this step is optional depending on your blade design) made a new layer, used a soft brush the same size as the glow, hit alt to use my colour picker aka eyedropper tool and painted the glow on then turned off that layer

4 >made a new layer, scaled my brush to match the core used black (any tone is optional) and clicked to make my core. Turned off the layer

5 >Took my glow layer scaled my brush down a touch went to channels and made a new one, turned on my top channel and positioned my brush over the glow and core. Made sure my soft bush was white and clicked.

6 > went back to my layers and turned each one on.

7 >Then selectively copying the image with one of the chosen glows colours I got all 5 with a black core.

8 >flattened them each in turn and named then yellow green blue red purple. 32 bit with alpha channels. Later I renamed each to there corresponding saber blade colours.

I hope this helps you or any one attemping to reskin saber blades.

svцsh
Page: 1 of 1