Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

www.JediServers.com closing down

Page: 1 of 2
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-15-2004, 4:22 PM
The host of my two Jedi Outcast servers and my Jedi Academy CTF server just informed me that they will be closing down as of June 16. I will have to decide if I want to continue these servers with a different host (I am already using www.escapedturkey.com) for two of my other servers).

Just to let the people who use my servers know what is going on.
 Prime
06-15-2004, 5:06 PM
I'd really hate to see your FFA server go. I love the all guns, all powers, and upped saber damage. I really hope you choose to continue with another provider.

Just one player's voice :)
 Cercueil
06-15-2004, 5:24 PM
aye, though i am new to the servers I enjoyed them and would hate to have to surf through all the others to find one with the nicety of yours.

good luck.
 Kurgan
06-15-2004, 5:41 PM
I too am directly affected by this. My server, Meatgrinder Redux (see signature) will be shutting down the 16th as well.

Having just briefly looked over some of the pricing, EscapedTurkey looks like the best deal so far, though I may have to setup a Paypal account.
; p

Whatever the case I can't deal with it immediately as I'm heading out of town for a few days this weekend for a wedding.
 --ZeeMan--
06-15-2004, 7:01 PM
not to advertise or anything, but kurgan and amidala - you could sign up with escaped turkey and refer the other one so you both get a month free :D
 Master William
06-15-2004, 8:03 PM
 Kurgan
06-15-2004, 9:00 PM
He's been warned...
 Kurgan
06-15-2004, 9:18 PM
Ok, since he thought he'd be cute, I banned all three of his accounts, pruned them and banned his IP. Enough spamming. ; p
 Prime
06-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
He's been warned... Who?

Ok, since he thought he'd be cute, I banned all three of his accounts, pruned them and banned his IP. Enough spamming. ; p WTF?

A mis-clicked button perhaps?
 TK-8252
06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
[nWo] Filth/The Filth, Prime.

All his posts are deleted now.
 --ZeeMan--
06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
nWo filth, nWo the filth, the filth

lil troll that's been busy causing headaches for kurgan
 Rumor
06-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Customer Service wise, jediservers was pretty good.

Server wise, they were trash. Horridly unstable, lots of loss, low maxrates really killed it for me.

We went and got one from extreme networkz and they have maxrates greater than some q3/wolf hosts, and they were just as cheap if not cheaper, with extremely good stability, absolutely no loss, and overall awesome performance.
 Kurgan
06-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Honestly they were my first professional host, so maybe I'm biased, my first impression was a good one.

Maxrate of 5,000 for all game modes wasn't so great, but 15,000 for Siege was pretty smooth as far as I could tell. People overseas and with dialup had higher pings (300's-500's) but otherwise it was pretty good. You mean there's better?

Woo hoo! But anything is better than hosting on my windoze computer sharing my DSL account.
; p
 --ZeeMan--
06-16-2004, 1:49 AM
we already talked about this but i'll just make it public. i'm pretty sure the maxrate on escapedturkey servers is 25,000
 Marcus(JSA)
06-16-2004, 11:28 PM
uh huh... but Escaped Turkey servers share multiple games...

So a JKA server may also be shared with BF, CoD, etc, etc

And very often when Turkey servers crash, the hang stays and the Raven auto-restart fails to kick in... Leaving a crashed server until the admin can fix it...

This is a fact, I've known several people with the problem... another fact:

Cheap = Nasty (Turkey are TOO cheap... if JS are out of business, Turkey will be soon!)

MammothGames are the best bet on the list:

10,000 max rate; Unlimited Server space for maps/mods; Control Panel like JediServers; On-line support; and more...

Their prices are pretty cool too!

Not that it bothers me... I'm one of the rare few remaining with B.S. Gaming :D
 Rumor
06-17-2004, 2:16 AM
Originally posted by Marcus(JSA)
uh huh... but Escaped Turkey servers share multiple games...

So a JKA server may also be shared with BF, CoD, etc, etc

And very often when Turkey servers crash, the hang stays and the Raven auto-restart fails to kick in... Leaving a crashed server until the admin can fix it...

This is a fact, I've known several people with the problem... another fact:

Cheap = Nasty (Turkey are TOO cheap... if JS are out of business, Turkey will be soon!)

MammothGames are the best bet on the list:

10,000 max rate; Unlimited Server space for maps/mods; Control Panel like JediServers; On-line support; and more...

Their prices are pretty cool too!

Not that it bothers me... I'm one of the rare few remaining with B.S. Gaming :D

Cheap does not always mean ****ty servers.

Hell look at VSK, worst server company in the world, and very overpriced.
 Prime
06-17-2004, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
[nWo] Filth/The Filth, Prime.

All his posts are deleted now. Ah. Thanks. :)
 Kurgan
06-17-2004, 4:50 PM
My server is officially dead. I'll have to take down the rest of the JS ads when I get back though... (of course anyone clicking on them will see that JS is no longer providing hosting).

I didn't see the last few hours of the game (too sleepy) but I think people had fun. It was certainly packed!
 Alegis
06-17-2004, 4:53 PM
jediservers closing down...that sucks..
 Mephistox2
06-17-2004, 5:28 PM
isnt it supposed tyo have ****ty service and reall, really high pings?

for turkey servers that is..
 Prime
06-17-2004, 5:42 PM
My server is officially dead. Any plans for the future, Kurgan?
 Kurgan
06-17-2004, 5:47 PM
Week of the 21st, start investigating other hosting services...
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-17-2004, 7:25 PM
Originally posted by Mephistox2
isnt it supposed tyo have ****ty service and reall, really high pings?

for turkey servers that is..

High pings? No. I took this screenie of my www.escapedturkey.com) hosted server a few minutes ago (~6PM EDT):

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/ASE_screen_061604.jpg)

The service has been fine. If you have some experience running servers it's great, because they give you a lot of control, it's part of the owner's philosophy. For instance, I can change the mod the server is running or the command line myself at any time, instead of having to generate a trouble ticket and wait for the host to do it. There is a nice web-based control panel that makes it easy to do that and upload files, etc.

Also, he made a script to automatically warn players and then restart the server nightly in the early AM hours to keep it running smoothly (JA servers should be rebooted every 24 hours or so because the Linux ded server uses up more CPU cycles the longer it runs between restarts).

I've been with them for more than six months and haven't had any problems.
 Kurgan
06-17-2004, 8:44 PM
(JA servers should be rebooted every 24 hours or so because the Linux ded server uses up more CPU cycles the longer it runs between restarts).

Interesting, I did not know that.

So what, if any, advantage is there in running a linux server rather than win32 (other than the host provider gives you no choice)?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Interesting, I did not know that.

So what, if any, advantage is there in running a linux server rather than win32 (other than the host provider gives you no choice)?

It is much much cheaper for a server hosting company to use Linux because it is "free", compared to Micro$oft, which charges $860 for one Window$ $erver 2003 license. The hosting company can then charge you a much lower price and still make money (or not).

Although M$ Window$ $erver 2003 is supposed to be a very good product, Linux is just as good (better say Linux fanatics) a server OS. The problem is with the Jedi Academy dedicated server for Linux, not Linux itself.
 Kurgan
06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Thank$, that make$ $en$e.

Doh! Now you've got me doing it...
 Lindsey
06-18-2004, 1:28 AM
I really hope you put your FFA server on JA back up Amidala, its my fav hangout currently. Same to Kurgan. Jediservers did have bad oings, many of my filmings were screwed up thanks to lag and other troubles on the server.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-18-2004, 4:32 AM
Of my five servers, that was the least-used one after most of my regulars went to other games like UT2004. I can't maintain a server just because a few people like to go there occasionally, and the rest of the time it's empty. "FFA" in Jedi Academy = no guns, disabled Force powers, saber duels, standing around with your saber off, chatting, play-acting, and "honor". Bleh. Normal Jedi Academy FFA players either switched to CTF or left to join the vast majority of real FFA players in the world playing UT2004 and other games.
 _PerfectAgent_
06-18-2004, 8:12 PM
I really hope that the honor junk goes away with the next Jedi Knight game...
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 4:44 AM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_

won't happen.
 Master William
06-19-2004, 8:36 AM
Amidala, you call that low ping? Didn't people have like 200-400?

As for you Kurgan, I know hosts for you, but none of them are from USA.

Can you show me a screenshot of Linux? I want to see what's so adorable about this little free anti-Microsoft OS.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-19-2004, 1:47 PM
http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/ASE_screen_061604.jpg)

Originally posted by Master William

*cough* The first column of numbers is the player's SCORE, the SECOND column of numbers is their PING :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No wonder you are always saying that the reason you never play on North American servers is because their pings are "too high" for you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can you show me a screenshot of Linux? I want to see what's so adorable about this little free anti-Microsoft OS.

Linux supports several desktop environments, you are limited to the one GUI like Window$

This is KDE (http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde320shots.php)

This is GNOME (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/marketing/en/2004/two-six-screenshots/html/large/)
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 1:52 PM

As for you Kurgan, I know hosts for you, but none of them are from USA.

#1 a lot of those players are either euro, 56k, dsl, or canadian.

#2 linux has a taskbar like windows and a menu that pops up, but i do want to twist your head off of your neck for being so ignorant :P linux = based off of unix. it is not anti-ms and you can't tell why something is good by a screenshot of the desktop.

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/dumbpeople.jpg)
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-19-2004, 2:06 PM
Originally posted by Rumor
#1 a lot of those players are either euro, 56k, dsl, or canadian.

#2 linux has a taskbar like windows and a menu that pops up, but i do want to twist your head off of your neck for being so ignorant :P linux = based off of unix. it is not anti-ms and you can't tell why something is good by a screenshot of the desktop.

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/dumbpeople.jpg)

*pssst* Rumor, edit or delete your last post, then I'll delete this one
 Lindsey
06-19-2004, 2:15 PM
Lol rumor, that wasnt very nice :(
 TK-8252
06-19-2004, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_

There's gonna be a lot of Jedi Outcast/Academy players getting Battlefront... hmm. That can't be good for the fate of Battlefront.
 Master William
06-19-2004, 2:45 PM
Sorry, I was busy having a life (unlike some people cough) to notice the scores were not the pings.

So why should I play with a higher ping? I'm on a crappy 0,5 mbit connection, European servers are the best way I can have a good gaming experience.

I'm dumb and proud of it, sue me. You deserve to join my club.
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 3:10 PM
*pssst* Rumor, edit or delete your last post, then I'll delete this one

no fair i had my reply open before you :P nah i just walked away and forgot to hit submit when my pup decided he had to use the bathroom ><

http://forumspam.articblue.nl/post_related/flamewar/images/0203.jpg)

hahhahha
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 3:13 PM
Sorry, I was busy having a life (unlike some people cough) to notice the scores were not the pings.

So why should I play with a higher ping? I'm on a crappy 0,5 mbit connection, European servers are the best way I can have a good gaming experience.

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/omghi2u.jpg)

you get a lower ping to us servers than i do.
 Master William
06-19-2004, 3:28 PM
 Amidala from Chop Shop
06-19-2004, 6:52 PM

First of all, you have no life, we all know it.

Second of all, I do have a life, which is why I am too busy to play computer games online.

Third of all, what does you not having a life have to do with mistaking scores and pings when they are clearly labelled? Probably because you aren't used to seeing players whose scores are much higher than their pings. And that's probably because you go to servers where everyone stands around chatting and playacting. The winner on servers like that has 1 or 2 points, while the rest have 0 because they were just standing around chatting the whole time. Or maybe negative scores because they were pretending they were drunk walking out of the cantina, and they fell off a ledge.

I'm glad you're proud, I guess. And no thanks about joining your club, although I will cheer for you when your club competes in the Special Olympics.

So to get back on topic, and in case anyone else was confused, www.escapedturkey.com) servers have low pings. Out of 21 players on a busy CTF server, 12 had pings below 100, and 5 out of the remaining 9 had pings below 150. And one of the players was connecting with ping 999, who knows how low his ping might have been. And as Rumor pointed out, I have regulars from around the world who play on that server, so their pings are unavoidably higher. One of my new subadmins lives in France, and another lives in Australia. Strange, they still do well and have fun despite their higher pings. Maybe they just don't need excuses.
 Master William
06-19-2004, 8:13 PM
TK-8252 wrote:
kthxbai
 Mex
06-19-2004, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Basically, no one here has a life because they are posting on this forum.

kthxbai
 TK-8252
06-19-2004, 8:19 PM
*TK lames this thread.*

ZISS THREAD IS OVAR!
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 8:24 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Second of all, I do have a life, which is why I am too busy to play computer games online.

Third of all, what does you not having a life have to do with mistaking scores and pings when they are clearly labelled? Probably because you aren't used to seeing players whose scores are much higher than their pings. And that's probably because you go to servers where everyone stands around chatting and playacting. The winner on servers like that has 1 or 2 points, while the rest have 0 because they were just standing around chatting the whole time. Or maybe negative scores because they were pretending they were drunk walking out of the cantina, and they fell off a ledge.

I'm glad you're proud, I guess. And no thanks about joining your club, although I will cheer for you when your club competes in the Special Olympics.

So to get back on topic, and in case anyone else was confused, www.escapedturkey.com) servers have low pings. Out of 21 players on a busy CTF server, 12 had pings below 100, and 5 out of the remaining 9 had pings below 150. And one of the players was connecting with ping 999, who knows how low his ping might have been. And as Rumor pointed out, I have regulars from around the world who play on that server, so their pings are unavoidably higher. One of my new subadmins lives in France, and another lives in Australia. Strange, they still do well and have fun despite their higher pings. Maybe they just don't need excuses.
http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/camowned.jpg)

Originally posted by Master William:
kthxbai

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/funnycomedypolice.jpg)

*TK lames this thread.*

ZISS THREAD IS OVAR!

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/end_thread.jpg)
 Master William
06-19-2004, 8:30 PM
Ehh, Amidala, sitting in front of the computer and hosting three servers (I respect your work) and doing female Jaden skins (nice job by the way) isn't called having a life, even though I have respect for your work, and I know it is good work, regarding the servers and your skins. I don't wish to argue anymore.

I have said what I want to say, and won't be replying back, perhaps through PMs, but otherwise, don't bother waiting for me to reply. I'm tired of these daily flame wars and trolls.
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 9:10 PM
Ehh, Amidala, sitting in front of the computer and hosting three servers (I respect your work) and doing female Jaden skins (nice job by the way) isn't called having a life, even though I have respect for your work, and I know it is good work, regarding the servers and your skins. I don't wish to argue anymore.

I have said what I want to say, and won't be replying back, perhaps through PMs, but otherwise, don't bother waiting for me to reply. I'm tired of these daily flame wars and trolls.

http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/newbie2.jpg)
 TK-8252
06-19-2004, 9:14 PM
A bit ecstatic with the tribalwar pics today, eh Rumor?
 Rumor
06-19-2004, 9:20 PM
A bit ecstatic with the tribalwar pics today, eh Rumor?

hands hurt too much to type much so i use pictures. (worth a thousand words afterall) most of them are old as hell
 _PerfectAgent_
06-19-2004, 10:46 PM
There's gonna be a lot of Jedi Outcast/Academy players getting Battlefront... hmm. That can't be good for the fate of Battlefront.
I've got a problem here... (http://porkins.ytmnd.com/)
Page: 1 of 2