Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

*Squeezes trigger* Firiing aimlessly in the general direction

Page: 1 of 1
 Xirion
06-14-2004, 4:36 AM
Being commandos i hope to find accurate style shooting, and good tactics for this game in MP, but im afriad we will end up see, guns blazing and ammo wasting.
There is always a time when it may cum to that, but hopefully we wont see it all the time!
 StormHammer
06-14-2004, 1:15 PM
A good commando never wastes ammo.

Hopefully there's a locational damage system in place so that headshots count.
 ZBomber
06-14-2004, 4:02 PM
If headshots count, everyone will be shooting aimlessly hoping to hit someone's head. :(
 Xirion
06-15-2004, 5:45 AM
yeah they do in most games anyways!

but i say have ammo as a key factor add challange!
 Alegis
06-15-2004, 8:37 AM
theres no reload with the weapons right? That may cause a lot of spraying...I'd go for little ammo
 Pad
06-15-2004, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
theres no reload with the weapons right? That may cause a lot of spraying...I'd go for little ammo
OMG, same country same thought or so it seems. I read this thread earlier and was thinking about the ammo aswell. If you get an unlimited supply of ammo you can walk around shooting at everything that moves without reloading. Ammo placed in small ammounts in clips would be a good thing. You need to stay focused on your ammo, think before you shoot your entire clip and take cover for reloading.
 StormHammer
06-15-2004, 7:17 PM
I would actually like it if there was reloading in the game. I think it's more suited to a 'tactical' kind of game like this. You should be checking your ammo after every encounter - and checking fire so you don't run out at the wrong moment. So I hope that reloading is implemented - or that a 'realism' mod is released to cater for this.

This is one of the things I like about CoD MP. You have to constantly keep an eye on your ammo to ensure you don't get caught short. Also, you have to pick up ammo from dropped weapons to ensure you don't run out - which is more realistic than going to an ammo 'spawn point', and keeps the gameplay constantly flowing.

This is one of the reasons why I like the idea of weapon swapping - and the fact the Geonosian canon will have a limited use before running out of it's charge. I would actually prefer this for all weapons, by limiting the available ammo for the weapon with which you are initially supplied so that you have to fall back on secondary (and picked up) weapons as you go along.
 JBRAA
06-16-2004, 8:11 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I would actually like it if there was reloading in the game. I think it's more suited to a 'tactical' kind of game like this. You should be checking your ammo after every encounter - and checking fire so you don't run out at the wrong moment. So I hope that reloading is implemented - or that a 'realism' mod is released to cater for this.

This is one of the things I like about CoD MP. You have to constantly keep an eye on your ammo to ensure you don't get caught short. Also, you have to pick up ammo from dropped weapons to ensure you don't run out - which is more realistic than going to an ammo 'spawn point', and keeps the gameplay constantly flowing.

This is one of the reasons why I like the idea of weapon swapping - and the fact the Geonosian canon will have a limited use before running out of it's charge. I would actually prefer this for all weapons, by limiting the available ammo for the weapon with which you are initially supplied so that you have to fall back on secondary (and picked up) weapons as you go along.

I agree. Infact, if Republic Command would be like "Enemy Territory" www.enemy-territory.com) (free 250 MB online FPS game), but with Stars Wars Republic Commando style, I would be much pleased. If RC would be Unreal Tournament with spawn point weapons etc, I would be the opposite to happy.
 Cheech Marin
07-12-2004, 1:00 PM
I hope that the gunplay in RC will be nothing like in Jedi Outcast. In JO, shots take forever to reach the target (in other FPS games I have played shots hit the target instantaneously), you need to hit the enemy around 5 times in the chest with a blaster in order to bring them down, and there is no reloading in the game. So in other words, whoever is the best dancer is usually the best gunman.
 Kurgan
07-17-2004, 3:45 PM
Just from what I've seen from the various videos and such, it seems like both types of weapons are available (ie: "instant hit" projectiles and "moving" projectiles).

But since you don't have any force powers and we have no word yet that you'll face anyone in combat who does, you shouldn't have to worry much about people "dodging" your bullets, blocking them and pushing them back in your face. ; )

Though looks can be somewhat deciving. After all, in Unreal we've had a gun for years (UT's Shock Rifle and it's many varients before and after) that fires projectiles that appear not to be instant hit, but really are, as well as projectiles that "move" that can be dodged (even though it's not very easy to do so).

The ammo thing I wonder about. Since you're not fighting other commandos, how will you get more ammo? Will there be ammo drops supplied to you by the Republic? Is any alien weapon ammo compatible with your's?

Or will you be forced to switch to alien weapons when you run out of your standard issue?

Or perhaps they just give you so much ammo that it's more than enough for any mission.

Otherwise I suppose you'll be left with your little melee blade to fight! ; )
 Cheech Marin
07-17-2004, 4:33 PM
Maybe this game will force you to conserve your ammo, take careful aim, and use short controlled bursts, just like a real military would? Hopefully, your squadmates will not be completely braindead as they usually are in other games, and you won't be the one getting all the kills.
 ZBomber
07-21-2004, 1:15 AM
I'm sure you can find other ammo for your weapon, maybe from other dead clones or something......

I'm guessing the Clone Rifles use a common type of ammo, it should be easy to come by. ;)
 TK-425
08-08-2004, 7:15 AM
from what i see in all the videos and screenshots the dc-17 default mode does not have a ammo count on the hud.
for the sniper mode however looks like it has ammo count

so i think that the dc-17 in single player
has either unlimited ammo or you have unlimited ammo clips
and the attachments have a limitation i do not know if this is going to be the same in MP though i would asume not though
 Pad
08-08-2004, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by TK42235
from what i see in all the videos and screenshots the dc-17 default mode does not have a ammo count on the hud.
for the sniper mode however looks like it has ammo count

so i think that the dc-17 in single player has either unlimited ammo or ...
Actually, you dont have unlimited ammo since there was much reloading during the videos where you could also see the ammount of ammo left at the side of the gun (blue markers). ;)
 DarthTDe
11-03-2004, 6:59 PM
Hey,But How do you know that's not for show?:mad: :D
 Revan Solo
11-09-2004, 8:04 AM
The moves should be good ( I mean from this soldiers)!
 ZBomber
11-10-2004, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by DarthTDe
Hey,But How do you know that's not for show?:mad: :D

I doubt they would put reloading and ammunition in the preview if it were to not be in the offical release. ;)
 Joetheeskimo
11-12-2004, 6:47 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Hopefully there's a locational damage system in place so that headshots count.

Yeah, one of the things that really annoyed me about Jedi Academy was that you lost the same amount of health that you lose when you get hit in the chest when you get hit in the foot. :mad:
 Zytsef
11-25-2004, 8:48 AM
The walkthroughs seem to indicate that all your weapons have fairly small clips, at least in comparison to most of the FPS I've been playing lately. This makes me think that the developers are doing the right thing and forcing players to conserve ammo and think strategicly about when to find some cover and reload.
 tommygunner
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
yea that looks like something u will have to do......
 adillon
12-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Zytsef
The walkthroughs seem to indicate that all your weapons have fairly small clips, at least in comparison to most of the FPS I've been playing lately. This makes me think that the developers are doing the right thing and forcing players to conserve ammo and think strategicly about when to find some cover and reload.
the 5 new vids on IGN clearly show the player stepping back from the firefight, behind cover, to reload the shotgun. there's even a scene where the DC-17 (?) needs to be reloaded as the player is trying to take out a ceiling-mounted turret.

hopefully this aspect of the game will translate over to the MP game ... just like CoD, i can't tell you how many times i was killed while trying to reload.
:p
 Renegade Angel
12-30-2004, 6:26 AM
Hit the Chest or the Head.
Page: 1 of 1