Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ghost models

Page: 1 of 1
 DarkLordTrooper
06-10-2004, 7:35 PM
im still trying to figure out how to use radiant, and one problem im having is that the .md3 models i use are all like ghosts; i pass right thru them. how can i make them solid?
 wedge2211
06-10-2004, 7:43 PM
You have two options:

#1: http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn5.html)

#2: key/value: spawnflags 2 (use this only on very simple or very large models)
 WadeV1589
06-10-2004, 7:50 PM
Just to totally re-emphasise point 2, for any model that isn't basically huge you really need to use the physics_clip brush method.

In fact number 2 is best used only for terrain models. It can lead to some pretty odd clipping results - most noticeably invisible clip brushes around the model which you can jump on; it's even been known to make clip brushes that run across the entire map invisibly - really not good!
 DarkLordTrooper
06-10-2004, 8:51 PM
key/value: spawnflags 2 (use this only on very simple or very large models)

could i use this on a yavin tree? or would that be to complex?
 wedge2211
06-10-2004, 9:45 PM
Well, erm, not to contradict Wade, but I've never personally seen any of the adverse autoclipping effects. Still, I'm using that technique less and less...

The trees have lots of little skinny pieces in close proximity, so no, you shouldn't autoclip them. Doing it manually has the added advantage that you can leave the leaves nonsolid if you wish.
 Jedi_Vogel
06-11-2004, 3:51 AM
*shudders at the thought of trying to clip leaves*
 WadeV1589
06-11-2004, 5:57 AM
"Well, erm, not to contradict Wade, but I've never personally seen any of the adverse autoclipping effects. Still, I'm using that technique less and less..."

It's happened to me several times and YDNAR did post it can happen. I'm not saying it for the hell of it, I've actually seen it happen.
 alexx860
06-11-2004, 2:56 PM
i use autoclip for yavin's trees, and it work perfectly :D leaves stay nonsolid
 wedge2211
06-11-2004, 3:59 PM
Huh? Now that *is* a bug with autoclipping, then.

The problem with using autoclip on trees is that even where the model is transparent, it still draws a clip brush, so you may have solid bits a good way away from the rest of the model.
 lauser
06-11-2004, 5:19 PM
OMG Wedge...LOL. You know that the leave parts of a tree model are like patches right? Try clipping a patch..I dare you. :p

Wade.....I do have a problem with my autoclip. It has a set boundary for obvious reasons. If your terrain map is too big and complex like mine...you get this error:

WARNING: MAX_MAP_PLANES (1048576) hit generating clip brushes for model maps/hills.ase.

Now I forgot what the max is. I think this one has about 50% more than any ASE model should.

Other than that using CLIP has been great for everything else. No other errors so far. But I tend to stick spawnflags 2 to terrain only.

Seriously, are you that lazy you can't clone your own clip brushes for your trees or other models? Does it have to be pefrectly clipped or do you just enjoy generating TONS of extra brushwork for calculation? (aimed in general) :p
Page: 1 of 1