Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mods after this with different engine.

Page: 1 of 1
 Monkey Mania
06-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Have you guys ever thought about doing a mod with the Halflife 2 engine? It is supposed to be highly modable. You can basically create new gameplay styles with it. Besides, the Quake 3/Jedi Academy engine is starting to get out-of-date.
 DF mod Feedback
06-09-2004, 12:26 AM
No offense, but this is the kind of thinking that prevents mods, even uber-hyped FPSes for that matter, from ever getting finished.

If they don't finish by the time Republic Commando or Battlefront are released, I'd like to think they'd stick it out with the modified q3 tech, as tempting as the fancier engines might be. Delusions of grandeur and all...
 Darth_Linux
06-09-2004, 2:58 AM
no, we can't use the HL2 engine to make a Star Wars mod - Lucas Arts would never allow us to use the level design, original artworks, sounds and so on unless the end user first had to buy a new game from LA . . . .

I find it curious that a new person name DF Mod Feedback had to chime in on this subject with such an odd response.
 Monkey Mania
06-09-2004, 5:05 AM
Just a suggestion. I am talking about mods after this one.

You can't make an original mod? That's weird.

I guess you're stuck until they make a Dark Forces 5: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Outcast 3: Jedi Academy 2. I feel sorry for you guys.
 DF mod Feedback
06-09-2004, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by Monkey Mania
I am talking about mods after this one.

My mistake! I completely misread your post.

I find it curious that a new person name DF Mod Feedback had to chime in on this subject with such an odd response.

...odd because I didn't read his post carefully, hopefully. Will Kyle be wearing a tin foil hat for the mod? ;)
 Kazashi
06-09-2004, 9:07 PM
Some confusion may have been avoided had you been more specific about what kind of mod you were talking about, the impression you gave was that you were asking about a Star Wars, possibly even DF itself, under HL2.

I dare say that the decision to make mods on other platforms would be up to the individuals rather than the team as a whole. The team is together in this instance to recreate Dark Forces, if any other project were started on whatever platform it wouldn't be the "DFMOD Team" making it.

Don't feel sorry for us, whether it was serious or dripping with sarcasm. There are team members who do work with other games and other engines, and who do plan on making mods with more advanced options. However I don't know if this kind of question can be directed to the team as a single entity.
 HapSlash
06-10-2004, 12:06 PM
I understand what he meant perfectly,...

After the mod is finished I imagine that most of the members will break away to pursue their own separate projects, rather than stick together to make another mod. I know some of us wouldn't have even gotten involved with any mod, if it wasn't Dark Forces. When it comes down to it, the team is actually just a bunch of guys that love the original game.

That's probably why this group has never assumed a 'studio name', as other mod teams have chosen to do. Since there isn't any other goal other than to bring DF into the new millennium, there hasn't been a need for any other moniker than the Dark Forces Mod Team.

A better question might be,...

What, if anything, do you have planned after this mod has been completed, either as a team or separately?

Even though it may be a while off yet, I'm somewhat interested in hearing what the others might have to say,...
 Monkey Mania
06-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Thankyou HapSlash.

What you heard:

What Star Wars mod is the DarkForces Mod team going to work on next? I want it on the Half-Life 2 engine.

Let me rephrase this.

What I wanted you to hear :

Do any one of you want to work on a mod using the HalfLife 2 engine after the current mod is completed? I suggest the engine as a good starting point.
 lonepadawan
06-20-2004, 5:07 PM
Most of the teams that have got "Studio Names" haven't produced very much.
 CortoCG
06-29-2004, 11:52 AM
LOL, Lonepadawan is in right, most of them stayed on the name, and just a very few made great mods and got hired.

I completely agree with Hap on this one. The only thing that keeps us together and working hard is that we all love Dark Forces (in my opinion the only respeactable SW shooter).

I guess we all have some projects for the future and even in parallel with this one. In my case I'm very close to Wudan (the Dragon project guy and the .gla file guru) and Azymn (the Force Mod 2 and 3 maker). And we would like to make something for the source engine, since it's the next big thing. But not SW based.
 ewok mercenary
07-10-2004, 4:38 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Mysteries of the Pimp in here yet ;)
 CortoCG
07-10-2004, 3:26 PM
Lmao, only the Egg Bros. can talk about that.
Page: 1 of 1