Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sequel to Grim Fandango!

Page: 1 of 2
 PhoandBeer
06-02-2004, 3:19 AM
What are your ideas on the next possible Grim Fandango?

First off I'd probably say that the best way to go is to make a presequel to the oringinal. Wouldn't it be great to see how Manny got into this afterlife and the amazing story behind it?

Second idea is probably what happens right after they get on the number nine and into heaven or whatever is there. Chaos? Hell? Heaven? Rebirth! Manny could be born again. Sounds great.

Third idea I have could be a side story on any of the characters in the game.
 JofaGuht
06-03-2004, 1:28 PM
I'm in the anti-sequel group, but here's my idea.

The game would not have any of the characters from the first. But suppose you're a sailor or something on the cruise package. You could have sort of a disaster thing going. It would be broken up into four parts, but all parts should be on the ship. But the ship is becoming more decrepit and practically a whole new world every year. Your missions could be fixing the boat, and of course finding the renegade bastards who did it in perhaps a familiar port town. That's my idea, Ithink it would be cool. But still I'm against a sequel. I'm much rather waiting for Psychonauts and whatever Tim Schafer has in store next for us.
 Expert Player
06-06-2004, 5:14 PM
My idea is a sidestory on Salvador, showing his duties and missions that he did, as we played the game from Manny's view.. Then at the end, Salvador would get sprouted, and thats how the game would end... Like it?
 Expert Player
06-06-2004, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by JofaGuht
I'm in the anti-sequel group, but here's my idea.

The game would not have any of the characters from the first. But suppose you're a sailor or something on the cruise package. You could have sort of a disaster thing going. It would be broken up into four parts, but all parts should be on the ship. But the ship is becoming more decrepit and practically a whole new world every year. Your missions could be fixing the boat, and of course finding the renegade bastards who did it in perhaps a familiar port town. That's my idea, Ithink it would be cool. But still I'm against a sequel. I'm much rather waiting for Psychonauts and whatever Tim Schafer has in store next for us.

No offence on your idea, but to me, that just seems... I dont know, a little short for a game. I mean basicly you would know the map for every year, and know exactly where to go for missions instead of having to find your way around in the first. So I'm against that idea.
 VampireNaomi
06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
If the ship is big enough there should be no problems.
 JofaGuht
06-09-2004, 3:34 PM
The ship keeps breaking apart so it keeps getting reconstructed...it's basically a different ship each year. Maybe in being stranded, everybody's hallucinating, so the people who rebuild it make it all abstract and crazy and stuff.
 VampireNaomi
06-10-2004, 5:26 AM
Your idea gets better all the time. Maybe you should make it into an original non-sequel idea and start your own game company. :p
 JofaGuht
06-10-2004, 4:27 PM
A small dream of mine...

Thank you, but my true original idea is way more ambitious. Too ambitious for amatuer gamemaking. I'm still not sure what I want to be, but it's going to involve creating something, and game designing doesn't sound half bad. And games are becoming the new art/storytelling medium. Time even did an article on it.

I'm getting off-topic...
 VampireNaomi
06-11-2004, 1:45 AM
I don't know anything about making games, but my dream is to be in a team who makes the plot and dialogue for an adventure game. I would work for free if needed.

But there again, maybe I should just be realistic and become a teacher. :rolleyes:
 James Isaac
06-11-2004, 3:13 AM
Originally posted by VampireNaomi
I don't know anything about making games, but my dream is to be in a team who makes the plot and dialogue for an adventure game. I would work for free if needed.

That's what I wanted to do too, so i started up Day of the Aliens (http://www.dotagame.com). Except, I wanted to do the plot and programming.

Day of the Aliens still has job openings by the way ;)
 VampireNaomi
06-11-2004, 5:01 AM
Wow, that's some wicked project you've got there! I would be more than glad to help somehow (even if it's only washing your feet!:D) but I think you are pretty much out of my league. I could do nothing good enough to match your quality. I'll buy the game though if you get it out. Promise.
 James Isaac
06-11-2004, 2:54 PM

And i'm sure you could help if you wanted to - judging from the great grim fandango fan-fic you did ;)
 VampireNaomi
06-12-2004, 3:18 AM
Well, I would like to help here and there, but I feel like an intruder. I mean, you guys have been working on the project for who knows how long, so it doesn't feel right to me to appear in the middle of things with no idea about anything or how things are supposed to be done. I would just confuse everyone with my questions. It might be better if I just watch and let you play. ;)

There again, if there is anything small that no one else wants to do, I might be able to handle it. As long as it has something to do with writing or probably drawing. I don't know a single thing about anything else that could be involved in making games.
 JofaGuht
06-12-2004, 11:19 AM
There's tons of people all over internet making amatuer adventure games. Just search around. Go here (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/) and talk to the people at the forums. You'll get in on a game. I'm on the team of an AGS-made game now, though they haven't told me to do anything yet. I'm on story and puzzle design, and I don't know thing one about all those Cs and +s and ++s and C++s document thingies.
 VampireNaomi
06-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey, thanks! I think I have seen that site before, but I never searched it quite well. I doubt I will join any team though, I tend to be a loner and terribly stubborn when it comes to my own ideas. ;)

If I remember correctly one can download some program from the site and make games. I think I created a guy who walked around in a room or something.

Besides, I want to learn programming before actually doing anything. I should visit the library and get some books.
 joesdomain
06-21-2004, 2:31 AM
I would like to see a sequel to Grim Fandango as well as re-release for the original for today's operating systems especially Windows 98 Special Edition.
 Thrik
06-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Windows 98? Dude, it's 2004. :D
 Rapp Scallion
09-04-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm totally against a sequel. But if it was done, I think a game about Hector LeMans would be really cool. You know, when the people in the land of the dead gets sprouted, they're sent back to the land of the living to start over. A sequel could be about:

a) Hector is back in the land of the dead, and are more evil now than ever! Main character: unknown.

b) Hector is back in the land of the dead, and are more evil now than ever! Main character: Hector. He is back in the land of the dead, but has nothing from his old life left. Point of game: Make Hector get back to the top.

c) Same as b, but it's a prequel to GF1. About how Hector became as powerful as we know him in GF1.

b) Hector is back in the land of the dead, but he don't remember anything from his previous life (when he was sent back to earth, his memory was erased, so he wouldn't remember anything about his previous life (and death)). Main character: Hector. Point of game: Unknown, but I think he will be a good guy. And eventually he will know the truth about himself, and all the terrible things he has done.
 VampireNaomi
09-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Rapp Scallion

b) Hector is back in the land of the dead, but he don't remember anything from his previous life (when he was sent back to earth, his memory was erased, so he wouldn't remember anything about his previous life (and death)). Main character: Hector. Point of game: Unknown, but I think he will be a good guy. And eventually he will know the truth about himself, and all the terrible things he has done.

Hey, that's actually a pretty interesting idea.

Reading these posts and everyone's comments has made me quite anti-sequel too, but I still think that it could be done well. It would not be easy and the chances are very small, but everything is possible in the right hands.
 Shuz
09-06-2004, 2:08 AM
I'm anti-sequel as well but I would like to see a game primarily set in El Marrow. I was disappointed that you couldn't see more of this beautiful city in GF1.

The main character would be a permanent resident living in the city who's lonely and disallusioned about the Ninth Underworld and has no motivation to go there. The story itself could be about anything really, maybe he gets tangled in a web of blackmail or something. But as he overcomes adversity he gains a new lease on life (or death), finds his soulmat and then they both go to eternal rest.
 Ck
09-07-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm inbetween..... i would love to see the characters and the gameplay and stuff again, but i think the storyline is a one off an shouldn't have a sequel. i think it would spoil the whole story if there was a sequel.

Maybe a remake of the original games story with different puzzels and things would be better. or the game from a different point of view.
 Sally J Limones
09-07-2004, 4:39 PM
I think they should have another game that takes place at the same time as GF1. Four year layout again, but start a year earlier or later. A new POV character, who maybe is one of Salvador's revolutionaries... or another on-the-side helper like our dear Manuel.
~Sal
 Gray Hound
09-12-2004, 12:42 AM
i'm all for a remake!:D lets collect signatures and letters and such and mail em to Tim Schafer,telling him to make it.This may sound stupid but i always have a few tears when i finish i finish Grim Fandango,because there isnt anything more then to play it again.:(

take care and Manny rocks,

Tom A.K.A Gray Hound

PS: and have Grim Fandango converted to the PS 2 :D
 James Isaac
09-12-2004, 1:19 AM
You should just let Tim Schafer make a new and different great game, that won't ruin Grim Fandango (it's perfect and all makes sense on it's own), and then you'll have a new game to like just as much as Grim Fandango.
 Kloreep
09-13-2004, 7:56 PM
I agree. I don't even so much want another GF as I want any sort of new adventure game using the GF engine and flavor, or at least one in the same style.
 VampireNaomi
09-14-2004, 6:06 AM
Agreed; GF is not the only excellent adventure game out there. I'll get my hands on the first Broken Sword and try it once I manage to save a couple of extra euros. And Gabriel Knight 3 gave me the same fantastic feeling as GF did. :)
 Gray Hound
09-21-2004, 10:23 AM
euros? wich country you in VampireNaomi?
The netherlands is the country in wich my cave is at.:D
 VampireNaomi
09-22-2004, 2:58 AM
My home lies hidden in the northern soil of Finland. :)

I hear you have a very interesting language, Gray Hound. Could you write a sentence or two so that I can see what it looks like?
 El Virus
09-22-2004, 4:11 PM
http://www.geocities.com/calaverablanca/calaverablancaposter.jpg)

I'm against a GF 2, although the first one is one of my favourite games, I believe that sequels may ruin games (and/or movies), because usually they are worse than the first or too similar to it.

But if a second game is released I would like it to be about a new character who has died recently, and is sent to the land of the dead, but in there he is "guided" by a corrupt salesman, who is taking advantage of him & so he starts his journey...
It would be nice if the game starts where GF1 ended, so the LSA would be able of helping you out, you would see LSA posters on the streets, and you will hear legends about Salvador & Manny, and maybe eventually get to meet people who knew him, like Eva or Glottis. It would also be nice if, while you are in Rubacava looking for a job, someone (like Maximino) offers you a job on an old Cafй, that has been out of use for 3 years.
 VampireNaomi
09-23-2004, 4:49 AM
*drools on the poster*

It's... so... cool...
 Gray Hound
09-25-2004, 7:14 AM
cool! and here it goes:

Als je nou niet gelijk je mond houd dan zal ik iets zeer onplezierigs doen.

translated in English: If you don't shut up right now i will do something very unpleasant.

:D
 VampireNaomi
09-25-2004, 7:25 AM
Originally posted by Gray Hound
cool! and here it goes:

Als je nou niet gelijk je mond houd dan zal ik iets zeer onplezierigs doen.

translated in English: If you don't shut up right now i will do something very unpleasant.

:D

:eek: Your language is even stranger than I thought. I want to study it! *includes studying your language on the "things to do" list*
 Gray Hound
09-25-2004, 7:41 AM
LMAO!!!!!! :D kewl,and BTW about Broken Sword,i gots them all. :D they share my #1 with Grim Fandango. :manny:
 VampireNaomi
09-25-2004, 8:56 AM
They must be excellent games then. Tomorrow I will be selling my old clothes in a jumble sail and I will hopefully get enough money to get Broken Sword 1 for myself, and Grim Fandango for my Brazilian friend. She's going to get the best Christmas present ever! :D

Ah, a little more and I'll stop being a Reaper.
 El Virus
09-25-2004, 4:22 PM
I love that poster, but I had nothing to do with it, it is from a GF fansite.
Great poster though.;)

PS: seems that you like learning languages VNaomi.
 Anti Merge
09-28-2004, 9:09 AM
Bit late on but I may as well ad a reply. I wouldnt like to see a sequel, I loved rim fandango dont getme wrong, but for the following reasons I am in the anti sequel group:

1) I felt that a lot was established withing the game such as the characters ways and mannerisms, if a 2nd game came out and altered any of these or changed our views on the characters it may take away from the first.

2) There would have to be a remake of some parts of the old game, perhaps hector lives, then we lose the feeling that we have finished it all, like when we hear him die, thats the underworld saved, but if he came in a second then thats that feeling gone.

3) A minior point but if the voice actors changed then it would make a difference to hardcore fans auch as myself.

But if they could make a 2nd that thkes place in the first such as, longer segments like in the petrified forest, or the underwater part, just more so adding puzzles and revealing more Information. I never really thought about it much so thats just a rough Idea:)
 Anti Merge
09-28-2004, 9:10 AM
Bit late on but I may as well ad a reply. I wouldnt like to see a sequel, I loved rim fandango dont getme wrong, but for the following reasons I am in the anti sequel group:

1) I felt that a lot was established withing the game such as the characters ways and mannerisms, if a 2nd game came out and altered any of these or changed our views on the characters it may take away from the first.

2) There would have to be a remake of some parts of the old game, perhaps hector lives, then we lose the feeling that we have finished it all, like when we hear him die, thats the underworld saved, but if he came in a second then thats that feeling gone.

3) A minior point but if the voice actors changed then it would make a difference to hardcore fans auch as myself.

But if they could make a 2nd that thkes place in the first such as, longer segments like in the petrified forest, or the underwater part, just more so adding puzzles and revealing more Information. I never really thought about it much so thats just a rough Idea:)
 Nippon
11-09-2004, 3:36 PM
As I wrote in the "End of the line"-topic, I once made a script for a prequel.
The main character was new, just as all the other important characters. But guest-stars is of course there. Such as a travel agent named Salvador Limones. ;)
 Samnmax221
11-28-2004, 4:16 PM
They would just end up cancelling it.
Lucasarts has recently started hating adventure games
 Tall Guy
11-30-2004, 1:04 PM
you know, this question has come up many times over the years, and i have to say that im all for another chapter in the grim story. but, judging by the current market for adventure games it looks unlikely. adventure games just dont sell any more, and at the end of the day thats what it comes down to.

personally i think a prequel would be the way to go if another was to be made. like people have sed, theres an intersting story to be told as regards mannys life before...umm death...

:manny:
 Samnmax221
12-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Or they'll just jumble together a bunch of minigames and call it an adventure
 kitmit13
08-19-2005, 12:06 PM
people keep saying there won't be a gf2 but they have no hope I mean I don't think dominio is dead cause after being through coral crushes he is still in one peace he could get his revenge and get to the ninth underworld or something and tim can make it can't he buy the rights
 VampireNaomi
08-19-2005, 12:23 PM
I think it's safe to assume that Domino is in several pieces and won't be coming back. Manny even made a comment about it later in the game.

Manny: When it comes to shreds, Dom is the expert.
 Tall Guy
08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
New characters would be the way to go, there's no point in hanging on to old cast members, as good as they are...
 Rubacava
08-19-2005, 1:13 PM
I think it's safe to assume that Domino is in several pieces and won't be coming back. Manny even made a comment about it later in the game.

Yes, you see pieces of him falling apart and such. That doesn't keep me from bringing him back in my fanfic, but shhh. It's a fanfic. He's pretty much gone.
 Santiago C.
08-19-2005, 1:14 PM
I have already given my ideas in my thread, but most of the people doesnt apreciate Manny, and, well, thats a shame. I want a GF 2 with manny, if not it wonґt be Grim Fandango.
 VampireNaomi
08-19-2005, 1:18 PM
It's not that people don't appreciate Manny. I believe he's the most loved character in the game, and he deserves that. It's that people don't like the idea of continuing something that was perfect. You know, even if chocolate is good, you'll end up sick if you keep eating too much of it.

Manny's story is finished, there is nothing else for him. The only way I could see GF2 working is introducing a brand new character with a new past, personality and goals.
 Grim Tomato
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM

First off I'd probably say that the best way to go is to make a presequel to the oringinal. Wouldn't it be great to see how Manny got into this afterlife and the amazing story behind it?

Second idea is probably what happens right after they get on the number nine and into heaven or whatever is there. Chaos? Hell? Heaven? Rebirth! Manny could be born again. Sounds great.

I'm in agreement with idea one and two. GF is a fabulous game, and I think they wrapped it up nicely; and I'd hate to see it diluted with sequel after sequel and run into the ground. A pre-GF would be great.
 Grim Tomato
08-20-2005, 10:13 PM

I'm in agreement with idea one and two. GF is a fabulous game, and I think they wrapped it up nicely; and I'd hate to see it diluted with sequel after sequel and run into the ground. A pre-GF would be great.
 kitmit13
08-21-2005, 5:32 AM

I love that when manny says that but he dosen't know what botany means does he cause if he did he would have just stood there saying something completely off the point

If manny isn't in no2 I don't want a sequel
Page: 1 of 2