Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Improved Stormtrooper SP?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ackehallgren
05-31-2004, 2:30 PM
Hey everyone... (been a while since i posted)
I just downloaded Hapslashes improved stormie and I must say! It looks AWESOME! And my dilemma is... I want to be able to play as it... is this possible? can it be made a single player skin? Can someone make it as optional clothing, so that u can have armor but not helmet Skywalker style and... vice versa? That it is actually a head a torso and pants... or is this alredy available? or should i go to bed? i think so... :)
 J_Bond
05-31-2004, 4:37 PM
It should be the easiest way if you use the following cheat. Follow these steps:

1. open console with [Shift]+[~]
2. type: "helpusobi 1" to activate the cheats
3. type: "playermodel stormtrooper"

Now you should be able to play as Hapslash's Stormtrooper if you installed it before. With the playermodel command you can even play as Boba Fett ("playermodel boba_fett"). Enjoy!
 Executor32
05-31-2004, 5:22 PM
Actually, you'll want to type "playermodel stormtrooper model_default model_default model_default" instead. This way, the game will only change your model to that of the stormtrooper, rather than changing the player character's NPC type to stormtrooper.
 J_Bond
05-31-2004, 5:48 PM
@Executor32
The command with "model_default" sounds good, but do you really have to type it triple?
 Executor32
05-31-2004, 6:29 PM
Yes, unfortunately. JA will only change the model if it recognizes a skin for the head, a skin for the torso, and a skin for the legs. However, with models that don't have different head, toso, and leg skins, only the head skin will affect your ingame appearance. For example, typing "playermodel stormtrooper model_red model_default model _default" will give you a stormtrooper with the red team skin, but typing "playermodel stormtrooper model_default model_red model_red" will only give you the regular stormtrooper skin.
 Ackehallgren
06-01-2004, 3:53 AM
thanks u guys! Awesome :D
 Ackehallgren
06-02-2004, 2:07 PM
Oh, and I have a question for Hapslash... Would it be okay for me to use your stormtrooper skin for a clan I'm gonna make? and possibly pictures of your darth vader? I will link to your site of course, I just want to make sure its ok...
 HapSlash
06-03-2004, 4:48 AM
Sure,... I guess.

Although, I don't exactly know what you mean by using it for a clan.

The intent behind the project was to create an upgrade to the original Stormtrooper that everyone could use, and would eventually become a new standard for the game. Now I see how foolish that was, as most people weren't really interested at all.

But for those who are, I want them to use the model as freely as they would the game's default models. I only ask, that if they do intend on releasing a file based on any of my works, that they follow any stipulations I may have included in their readme files.
 The_One
06-03-2004, 8:05 AM
Well, people who download the new demo will see the new Storm Trooper, and realise how great it is ;)

Hopefully that'll spark up a bit more interest in it...
 Ackehallgren
06-03-2004, 9:49 AM
What I mean is im making a like... stormtrooper clan :P and the regular skin is ugly
 J_Bond
06-03-2004, 10:32 AM
You know HapSlash how I think about your great work. Your Stormtrooper model is the only real model ;)
 Ackehallgren
06-03-2004, 12:11 PM
yeah it looks terrific... I mean... the one created BY LUCASARTS is worse than yours... I dunno... yours are a lot better... overall... They feel more... real... dot dot dot...
 HapSlash
06-03-2004, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by Ackehallgren
What I mean is im making a like... stormtrooper clan :P and the regular skin is ugly

Ahh,... I get it. Yeah, that'd be fine.

It's just sometimes I need to clarify things before I agree to them. I've gotten some pretty deranged requests in the past, some of which seam logical at first. But later, when things start to get worked out, they get really bizarre.

Like this one where some guy wanted me to merge all of the JO models together, redo the LOD's, and weight the whole thing. That way it would be possible to mix and match the parts. Then he was wanting me to send it to him so he could release it as his own mod.
 Ackehallgren
06-05-2004, 3:58 PM
wow... weird guy... but it would be cool to like... be able to have a twi lek or a rodian, with a stormtrooper helmet / or other part... :D

Anyway you can check out what I meant for the clan here: http://galactictroopers.cjb.net/main.htm) (I've taken som pics that I'm pretty proud of... Click the logo to scroll between them)

And... I'm alone in this mod so :P It's not big or anything,,, Just for fun

Anyway, there are about 30 well snapped (in my opinion) screenshots. I spawned a lot, and snapped... :D I think they look cool :D
 HapSlash
06-06-2004, 1:12 PM
Those are some very nice shots. Although in some of them, it's really easy to tell that the helmet shader isn't working properly.

I have been giving some thought lately to releasing a second version of both troopers with a few fixes,...

Here are a few problems I've run across so far,...

The shader doesn't work on the helmet correctly. The game pulls up the old texture for the shader rather than the new one.

The ridge along the shoulders begins to come together near the top rather than remaining perpendicular.

The currently released version of the Sandtrooper doesn't include a specular shader like the Stormtrooper.

The Sandtrooper's helmet isn't quite the same shade as his body, and some of the body details are identical to those found on the Stormtrooper, while they should be different to match the film.

In order to create more variation for the Sandtrooper, I've also been thinking about including an alternate body texture (with a modified dirt pattern) and a newly reconfigured backpack.
 Ackehallgren
06-06-2004, 5:10 PM
I'm lost...
Your model rocks though! Thanks for letting me using 'em and thanks for the compliment regarding the shots (really proud :D)

My best one is:
http://kylekatarn.com/gt/logo28.jpg)

*Edit*
Do ya think you can release a mini single player mod where i can use the stormie torso/legs/helmet? :D that would rock
 The_One
06-06-2004, 9:10 PM
Very nice screenshot, could've done with a bit of anti-aliasing though :p

Just being pedantic
 Ackehallgren
06-07-2004, 6:54 AM
I chose to not do anything with them (Except the size of course)...
I thought it was more artistic then :P
 HapSlash
06-07-2004, 9:34 AM
That's a really great shot, but it's also one where you can see that the shader isn't working right. The darker line that runs down the side of the helmet is where the old texture separates. Since the uv-mapping doesn't line up with the original, there is a non-glossy line there. There is also one that goes down the front of the helmet and several spots around the dome.

Do ya think you can release a mini single player mod where i can use the stormie torso/legs/helmet? :D that would rock
Wouldn't that require remaking the entire player model, or were you just talking a complete model replacement. Or perhaps an entirely new selectable Stormtrooper species.
 Ackehallgren
06-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I dunno... I mean like... on all heads (on all species) add a stormtrooper helmet... on all torsos (on all species) add a stormtrooper chest... on all legs... well you get the picture :P

Oh and the shader thingie... now that you did mention it I saw a little trail there... but I don't really see it as a big problem... Its hardly noticable at all!
 HapSlash
06-10-2004, 11:35 AM
I dunno... I mean like... on all heads (on all species) add a stormtrooper helmet... on all torsos (on all species) add a stormtrooper chest... on all legs... well you get the picture :P

The only way to do that would be to alter every single player model.
 Ackehallgren
06-10-2004, 4:23 PM
ooooooooh...
wow... heavy... oh well :P
 CortoCG
07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Hap, I think I could really help you out with shaders. Since the dark trooper phase 1, I'm kind of a shader geek. I used up to 4 stages in some surfaces. I can fix any faulty shader. If you allow me, I can download your stormtrooper, fix the shader (even redo the specular maps based on your skin), and perharps add a little enviromental effect, so the white armor looks like polished. It's up to you.
 HapSlash
07-03-2004, 1:29 AM
The faulty shader is due to my own shortsightedness, and really only needs for the helmet texture to be re-named,...

As far as the actual effects are concerned though, I'll admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I'm just winging it. If you feel like working on it, be my guest, you can probably do a better job with it than I did.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I must say, I did inspect your textures very close. Dude, your kinda obsessive, hehe, they are terrific.
Don't worry about the shaders, I'll get your model and make a shader that goes with the overall standard of it.
 TK-8252
07-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by HapSlash
The faulty shader is due to my own shortsightedness, and really only needs for the helmet texture to be re-named,...

I went ahead and changed the name of the helmet texture to "helmet-hap" and then changed the shader file, and right when I thought your Stormtrooper couldn't look any better, it looks even more awesome.
 CortoCG
07-04-2004, 2:10 AM
Job done, now it has the proper specular maps for each texture and an enviromental map, which makes the model look polished and more shiny.
 HapSlash
07-04-2004, 4:20 AM
So,... how's it look?
 CortoCG
07-04-2004, 3:45 PM
Here's an animated gif, it's the only thing I could think of to show the enviromental effect and the specularity.

New shader (http://www.cortocg.com/stormie.gif)
 HapSlash
07-04-2004, 8:54 PM
Cool...
Page: 1 of 1