Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"Ready" movie style sabers...

Page: 1 of 1
 AJL
05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
http://alienjl.homestead.com/files/SFX_Sabers.zip)

There are small PK3 you can use to test what they
look like and TXT file which should help you to add
them to the code... Image (http://alienjl.homestead.com/files/Sabre.jpg)
 razorace
05-19-2004, 1:27 PM
Hi AJL.

I just downloaded that a while ago. I'll have to take a look at it. :)
 WhiteShdw
05-20-2004, 10:02 AM
The aspect ratio of you saber blade file was off AJL. It was 128*256 when the original is 64*256(i think). Don't know it this was intentional or not and it looked ok ingame. It's just that when changing the saber blade, I find it easier to stick to the standard aspect ratio, because it closer represents how the blade will be drawn ingame.

Excellent work, I loved this for JK2 and I love it here. Now if Razor can add this into OJP with RGB support, there are gonna a be a whole lot of happy people out there(even though I myself prefer just the original colors, so I'm perfectly happy with this).

ps. is the saber_end shader really necessary? I'm just guessing you use this because you prefer a more softer look to your saber blade, but I think it looks perfectly fine without it. And the difference can only really be seen in screenies, it's too fast to notice ingame.

slightly modified version with a different saber blade and no saber_end (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalel/pics/Jedi%20Academy/SFX07.jpg)
 razorace
05-20-2004, 2:18 PM
Why are the trails tips straightlining instead of arcing?
 AJL
05-20-2004, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by WhiteShdw
The aspect ratio of you saber blade file was off AJL. It was 128*256 when the original is 64*256(i think). Don't know it this was intentional or not and it looked ok ingame. It's just that when changing the saber blade, I find it easier to stick to the standard aspect ratio, because it closer represents how the blade will be drawn ingame.

Like you say I prefer a more softer look and because of
this I needed to make the image little biger...

ps. is the saber_end shader really necessary? I'm just guessing you use this because you prefer a more softer look to your saber blade, but I think it looks perfectly fine without it. And the difference can only really be seen in screenies, it's too fast to notice ingame.

Necessary ? Yes and no... If you look at that image you
posted where you removed it you can see that the trail
looks bit unnatural... (It seems like the saber become
shorted during the swing...) But of course you are free
to make it look like you like the best...

Originally posted by razorace
Why are the trails tips straightlining instead of arcing?

Because he removed the image which makes it look
like arc...

And Razor.. Have you checked the code ?? Is it useable/
understandable or complete mess ?
 razorace
05-20-2004, 2:59 PM
sorry, I haven't had the time to check it out yet. I've been very busy with my consulting project.
 razorace
05-20-2004, 4:10 PM
ok, I just checked it out and here's my opinion.

The trail behavior is great. The best movie like that I've seen.

However, the extra blade outer glow that you added looks grainy and seems very static. Turning dynamic glow on does seem to help a bit. Anyway, if that could be fixed, the material would be perfect for submission.

I'd probably suggest that we make it so people can choose the blade and trail style they want. That way some players can play with the original style and others can play with the new/improved AJL style blades.
 WhiteShdw
05-21-2004, 9:36 AM
Originally posted by AJL
Necessary ? Yes and no... If you look at that image you
posted where you removed it you can see that the trail
looks bit unnatural... (It seems like the saber become
shorted during the swing...) But of course you are free
to make it look like you like the best...

actually the saber staffs and the particular saber used by the Reborn(standard reborn saber) have shorter blades than the standard lightsaber(bladelength 32 instead of 40 I think).

I could probably add the saber_end again to create the arc while swinging. I will have to mess with the pics a bit though, because you're version didn't quite line up correctly.

I'll mess with it some more and see what comes out :D.

However, the extra blade outer glow that you added looks grainy and seems very static. Turning dynamic glow on does seem to help a bit. Anyway, if that could be fixed, the material would be perfect for submission.

Wouldn't this be overwritten anyway if you incorperated the RGB coloring?

[EDIT]
Added the saber_end for the saber trail arc. You guys were right, it does look better.

pic 1 (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalel/pics/Jedi%20Academy/SFX08.jpg)

pic 2 (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kalel/pics/Jedi%20Academy/SFX09.jpg)
 razorace
05-21-2004, 3:17 PM
Wouldn't this be overwritten anyway if you incorperated the RGB coloring?

Probably not. I don't know how the RGB vs AJL works. I'd like all the issues to be resolved before we merge things. :)
 AJL
07-10-2004, 10:21 AM
So... Are my saber tweaks any use ?
 razorace
07-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, like I stated early, I think the outer glow graphic needs to be fixed. After that, I'd love to port it in. Especially with the Co-Op mode coming online.
 AJL
07-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Yeah, like I stated early, I think the outer glow graphic needs to be fixed. After that, I'd love to port it in. Especially with the Co-Op mode coming online.

fixed ? how ?

>> "However, the extra blade outer glow that you added looks grainy and seems very static" ??

You mean that "End Arc" ?
 razorace
07-11-2004, 12:28 PM
No, the actual blade graphic. It's too grainy or something on the outer edge so it ends up looking very static ingame. Especially with dynamic glow off.
 AJL
07-11-2004, 1:11 PM
grainy ?

I don't know what in that blade could seems grainy to
you... :rolleyes:

That color GLOW around the blade may look bit grainy
especially if you use green or yellow saber... but the
BLADE ?

And that dynamic glow... I can't turn it on so I don't
know what kind of effect it have...
 Samuel Dravis
07-11-2004, 4:51 PM
I looked at the blade image (inside the pk3) and I don't see how it could be 'grainy'. It must be just how the code displays it.

AJL - the dynamic glow give a sort of haze around the blade, making them appear more realistic, and also slightly larger than they are without it on. I can get a comparison pic for you if you want.
 razorace
07-11-2004, 11:03 PM
By blade I meant the glow. Sorry that wasn't clear.
 AJL
07-12-2004, 7:27 AM
I assume the problem with the glow is that you can see that
it is not one big glow but made of many smaller blobs... ?

I don't believe that can be fixed... (How many blobs it uses is
defined in RT_SABER_GLOW which doesn't seem to be in the
code at all or if it is I can't find it...)
 razorace
07-12-2004, 3:46 PM
No, it's just static looking. It's not moving or anything so you can see the grainyness of the jpeg source file.
 AJL
07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
No, it's just static looking. It's not moving or anything so you can see the grainyness of the jpeg source file.

are you using original or somehow modified glow image files ?
 razorace
07-14-2004, 4:02 PM
original
 AJL
07-23-2004, 10:13 AM
http://alienjl.homestead.com/files/SFX_Sabers.zip)

I made some changes in the blade/glow images...
( does it affect that grainyness ? )
 razorace
07-23-2004, 6:07 PM
Ok dokie. I'll check it out when I have time.
 razorace
07-29-2004, 3:33 AM
Ok, I've checked it out. It looks much better and is totally acceptable now.

So, how should we handle this? Ideally, I'd like to set it up so that the blade styles are selectable along with the RGB colors.

Would you be interested in codding that or should I check with SuperDindon and see if we can use his version.
 AJL
07-29-2004, 6:53 AM
Ok, I've checked it out. It looks much better and is totally acceptable now.

So, how should we handle this? Ideally, I'd like to set it up so that the blade styles are selectable along with the RGB colors.

Would you be interested in codding that or should I check with SuperDindon and see if we can use his version.

I am not really that good coder... If you want to add in some
new stuff I think it would be best if you ask someone else who
already knows how to do those things... (And you may also
want to check if there are some things in my code for which
you know clearly more efficient way to do it...)
 razorace
07-29-2004, 7:48 AM
ok dokie. I don't particularly feel like coding that stuff in at the moment so I'll check with Dindon to see if we can hawk his code.
Page: 1 of 1