Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Academy

Page: 1 of 1
 stride
04-23-2004, 4:37 PM
 WadeV1589
04-23-2004, 4:52 PM
Looking nice, now how about some actual information about it? :p

Also a shadow or two would be nice, right now it seems very weak on the light side although I'm sure this is an early shot right?
 stride
04-23-2004, 5:15 PM
ok I have way more than just the hangar.Umm the reason its lit like that is cause i just put lights in the hangar last night. I will put more pics in after more of the level is lit. The map is well what you guessed the jedi academy on yavin4. If any of you have ideas for rooms post them. I might put your idea in the map if its good.:)

For the shadows thing through windows where the lighting makes shadows if anything in the way. Is that made by making a light targeting something in a certain direction?
 stride
04-23-2004, 5:47 PM
This rooms lighting isnt too amazing right now either.It was made for dueling with no distractions unless you consider the dust one lol.It only has one way in at the time. I think the tile ground looks nice. I see room for improvement in this room.Not only lighining but in the architecture.I think the walls are still kind of basic. room (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img8&image=room.JPG)
Enjoy the pic:)
 stride
04-23-2004, 7:01 PM
I would say that this room is the center of the map. Every thing leads to this point. I wanted this map to have a peaceful feeling when people play in it. So i would have to say that that this room will have windows and will have more sun light coming in. Since this is not only a dark area but the center of the map windows and lighting wont be the only things that change. The size will have to change too. I will make this area bigger since people often like being at the center of maps. I dont know why but it just seems that people hang around the center lol.:) So enjoy this pic!!Main Room (http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img9&image=JediAcademyMainRoom.JPG)
 stride
04-23-2004, 10:24 PM
All i have to say is this is bigger has window and more light.O yeah and something i dont think you can see in this pic. Under the glass on the way side by the windows is flowing water :)
Improved Main Room (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img7&image=MainRoomImproved.JPG)
 WadeV1589
04-24-2004, 12:36 AM
That glass floor looks bad and the textures are tiling way too much.

(I'm taking a blunt honest approach as I'm too drunk to be nice today :p)
 stride
04-24-2004, 12:44 AM
ive noticed the texture issue i might need to use different ones because this wont look right stretched.
 Ockniel
04-24-2004, 4:00 AM
you have any of those training rooms from jk2 that you can see into but can't get to? those would be cool.
 lassev
04-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
(I'm taking a blunt honest approach as I'm too drunk to be nice today :p)

Man, that's gotta be the best excuse ever...

Yeah, those shots look quite good. You still need some detailing. Also keep in mind that each large room needs its own long time of detailing. So, don't proceed to make more rooms than you can realistically expect to detail properly. Also I think you should make the windows a lot bigger.
 WadeV1589
04-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Ah but the most important thing is it was true...as usual I was drunk :D

To keep on topic....a reminder of the horrific glass floor :p
 stride
04-24-2004, 2:44 PM
lol the glass floor is gone.It makes the room look less like its in the jedi academy temple. Heres a cool pic of outside.
Outside (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img10&image=JediAcademyOutside.JPG)
I like some parts in the map so far and i dislike other parts. Im sure both will be improved. I feel i cant realese this till its perfect.
 WadeV1589
04-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Not looking bad.
 Jedi_Vogel
04-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Have to say I'm not a fan of the "wall, with green stuff oozing from it" :P

But it's looking good, keep at it :D
 Codja X
04-28-2004, 10:02 AM
You should add a sun entity to it as well to get some cool shadows. It's looking a bit cloudy at the moment:)

While we're on the sun topic, I remember in quake3 there was an r_drawsun cvar that would, funnily enough, draw a sun. Doesn't seem to work with JKA though - has anyone got this working?
 Ockniel
04-28-2004, 10:54 AM
nice.
 stride
04-28-2004, 8:12 PM
Hmm Can you tell me more about this sun entity. I want cool shadows. lol
 WadeV1589
04-28-2004, 8:36 PM
Make a light entity targetted at an info_null. The direction of the line is the direction of the sun.

Select the light entity and give it a key/value of _sun/1.

For nicer lighting also give it the following keys/values:
_deviance/2
_samples/16

For this to work you must have skybrushes in your map, of course I don't mean surround your map with a box of sky....we all know that is the WORST thing you can do when you hear the term "skybox"...I mean map properly and place the _sun light somewhere (outside the building makes the most sense :p). For _sun lights to work they must trace through a skybox (technical way of saying the skybox will emit a directional light and without a skybox the sun won't work).
 Jedi_Vogel
04-29-2004, 3:56 AM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
(outside the building makes the most sense :p)

:lol:

I think you can have up to 8 suns on a map as well if I remember right. So although you don't see a physical "sun" (I guess you could "build" one if you REALLY wanted to!) you can make pretty cool lighting effects. And like any light entity you can make your "suns" whatever colour you want :)

If you're making a Tatooine map, you should have at least 2 suns ;) lol
Page: 1 of 1