Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

starship battles

Page: 1 of 1
 Lt. Havoc
04-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Now this is something which would appeal to some but not all. Having been a fan of the Star Wars games since the first arcades editions back in the 80's I really loved the X-wing/TIE fighter series on PC. The last one X-wing alliance was great with the multiplayer aspects.

The folks making SWBF could easily increase the number of maps by adding purely space battle maps where everyone must pilot or man a turbo laser. For instance on a Star Destroyer or similar capitol ship one player could pilot, 6 others could man turbo laser batteries to defend the ship. Meanwhile in the hangar bay fighters or bomber would spawn.

The truth is making a space map is so much easier than a land based map. Its merely an empty sky box with a backdrop painted in and all objects and players placed inside. Granted modelling all the ships, stations, and objects would be a pain initially but PC performance on those maps would be improved because of how few things need to be animated. You could even restrict the player classes to just pilot and officer because there is no need for small-arms. An addition to the capitol ships, fighters and bombers pilots could fly recovery craft (shuttles or storm trooper transports) to rescue stranded pilots in space. Objectives could be from the simple destroy the other team's capitol ships to holding and maintaining fields of space like normal land based conquest.

I think it would be fun because as a player you could play the Battle of Endor on the ground along side ewoks then when the map changed it could be the space battle which raged in space simultaneously.
 Ultar Terragorn
04-17-2004, 1:35 AM
You can be sure that you're not the only one who wish to see this happen. The ideas you have described are all great but I highly doubt that large space battles will be implemented at the initial release of the game.

Maybe it will come as an expansion.
 Lt. Havoc
04-17-2004, 2:23 AM
all of xwing alliance only takes up 420 megs, that's with all the single player storyline voices and what-not. Honestly, space flight sims are the least resource taxing type of action sim.

A huge majority of the models will be made for the normal maps. Creating another dozen vehicle models wouldn't be too hard. Hell, if they just ripped off Xwing alliance directly and reskinned some of the ships then found a way to mix its engine for those maps with their engine that would be awesome.

Some day there will be an all inclusive Star Wars action game, one which mixes elements of the Jedi Knight series with Battlefront and Xwing/Tie Fighter. Eventually it will happen, I remember pre-Dark Forces wanting a Star Wars FPS. Afterwards I wanted a multiplayer Xwing or TIE and they years later Xwing Versus TIE. Game developers need to embrace the big picture more often and not just try to crank out a title with 8-10 maps.
 Woad
04-17-2004, 5:16 AM
I'm not sure if they would devote an entire expansion to it, though I would certainly love it. Not everyone is any good at the X-Wing games and this game certainly doesn't focus on aerial combat, hell just look at how hard it is to pilot in BF1942 and I imagine piloting in BF will be just as difficult. X-Wings and TIES are going to take quite a bit of practice to get the hang of and the view from Lucasarts might be that they have already done the "multiplayer space combat thing" in the past.
 Mountainforest
04-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Take a look here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125333) if you want to say something about this topic.
 VanLingo
04-17-2004, 5:28 PM
To be honest, I want them to focus on just the planetside maps. There are plenty of space combat games -- I want the land battles! (IMO, Clone Wars wasn't that great.)

Keep in mind, there will be dogfights in the sky. For now, that's enough for me.

-- Lingo
 tFighterPilot
04-18-2004, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Lt. Havoc
all of xwing alliance only takes up 420 megs, that's with all the single player storyline voices and what-not. Honestly, space flight sims are the least resource taxing type of action sim.

A huge majority of the models will be made for the normal maps. Creating another dozen vehicle models wouldn't be too hard. Hell, if they just ripped off Xwing alliance directly and reskinned some of the ships then found a way to mix its engine for those maps with their engine that would be awesome.

Some day there will be an all inclusive Star Wars action game, one which mixes elements of the Jedi Knight series with Battlefront and Xwing/Tie Fighter. Eventually it will happen, I remember pre-Dark Forces wanting a Star Wars FPS. Afterwards I wanted a multiplayer Xwing or TIE and they years later Xwing Versus TIE. Game developers need to embrace the big picture more often and not just try to crank out a title with 8-10 maps. errr... when do you live? Didn't you know that there are space maps for Jedi Academy? (siege_destroyer is a really good map, and by raven)
 AndritVoor
04-19-2004, 4:50 AM
Ive always wanted to pilot a capitol ship, so I would llike to see something like that implemented. Maybe one person could be at the helms, and one person can control a bank of turbolasers/lasers/ion cannons/ missiles/torpedoes. That way, seven people could fly an ISD, or 5 people could command a mon calamari cruiser:deathii:
 Evil Dark Jedi
04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Theres to many star wars aircraft games and id like to play one on the ground and with fighters no where in space only in the sky and as vanlingo said clonewars wasnt that great but the multipalyer rocked.

:bdroid2:
 lukeiamyourdad
04-26-2004, 3:53 AM
Originally posted by VanLingo
To be honest, I want them to focus on just the planetside maps. There are plenty of space combat games -- I want the land battles!

Amen.
 tFighterPilot
04-26-2004, 11:56 AM
The only multiplayer Star Wars space game is x-wing vs tie fighter, and I don't have a joystick, so I can't play it. Games like battlefront and jedi academy can't really have the space feeling, cuz there are up and down. Real space games (Tie fighter, x-wing, x-wing vs tie fighter and starfighter) Too bad only one of them was online.
 Huntsman
04-26-2004, 7:31 PM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
Theres to many star wars aircraft games and id like to play one on the ground and with fighters no where in space only in the sky and as vanlingo said clonewars wasnt that great but the multipalyer rocked.

:bdroid2:

anti-amen

I want the space battle above Endor baby!
Page: 1 of 1