Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Game Queries

Page: 1 of 1
 Rockstar
04-08-2004, 2:12 AM
hey guys,

i'm sure some of you will remember me :)

i am interested in thinking of getting JA. Firstly i was wondering if you good people would help me out with a few questions

In terms of single player. how long is it compared to the length of jedi outcast? and is there a point to keeping your single saber? or are you just screwing yourself if its your first time through?

In terms of multiplayer, is the multiplayer experience good or bad. meaning do we see lame saber fights like we did in outcast (bombarded with special moves and kicks with very few strikes) and are the 3 saber types balanced? or is the single blade way under?

thanks to any board memeber that reply :)
 LukeKatarn
04-08-2004, 2:18 AM
You first question it is very short and DO (and I mean do not) keep a single light saber unless you are a pro.

Your second question the mutiplayer is good but even better with mods.
 Rockstar
04-08-2004, 2:45 AM
if you keep the single blade do you get to master all 3 stances??

are you really screwing yourself over with a single blade?? or is it not too bad if ur doing it on padawan. (i wont i'll do it on JK first time)

also, do u get the chance to get a red saber (this is YES OR NO, don't ruin the plot for me anyone plz)

and lastly i'm open to any answers to the multiplayer comment in my original post

thanks alot :D
 LukeKatarn
04-08-2004, 2:49 AM
Yes if you keep the single saber you can master all three stances.

NO you do not get a red lightsaber unless you download a mod.
 narfblat
04-08-2004, 7:27 AM
you can use a cheat code for a red saber in sp. here's how:
bring down console by pressing shift and ~
activate cheats by typing either helpusobi[space]1[enter] or devmapall[enter]
type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[enter]
if you have a staff saber, type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[space]red[enter]
if you have two sabers, type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[enter]sabercolor[space]2[space]red[enter]

[ ] indicates a key, so don't type the words in
 Crow_Nest
04-08-2004, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
You first question it is very short

Its not short, JO has 21, while JA has 22.

JA also has 2 different endings.

You will only get to choose between the staff and dual sabers somewhere in the middle of the game just before the 3rd tier of missions

Originally posted by narfblat
you can use a cheat code for a red saber in sp. here's how:
bring down console by pressing shift and ~
activate cheats by typing either helpusobi[space]1[enter] or devmapall[enter]
type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[enter]
if you have a staff saber, type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[space]red[enter]
if you have two sabers, type sabercolor[space]1[space]red[enter]sabercolor[space]2[space]red[enter]

[ ] indicates a key, so don't type the words in

That gives you a red saber but not a reborn hilt nor sith saber sounds.

You can get that by typing "saber s" (or any other character) or "saber s s" to get dual sabers with it. This cheat gives you a short saber blade to get one with a normal length type "saber tavion" or saber tavion tavion.

Originally posted by LukeKatarn
and DO (and I mean do not) keep a single light saber unless you are a pro.

LoL, are you trying to say "DO IT BUT DO NOT DO IT!"? Makes no sense at all.
 txa1265
04-08-2004, 9:27 AM
On game length:

JA has more missions / levels than JKII, but JO is longer in terms of time required. This despite the fact that many JA levels are huge compared to JKII ... meaning that the variety in level size in JA is larger.

JKII took me ~25 hours first time and JA ~20 hours.

So while I wish JA was larger in length and scope, it is longer than Call of Duty and Halo pu together so that is not too bad.

Mike
 Rockstar
04-08-2004, 9:45 AM
thanks all you guys who helped me out there.

umm just to quote myself, could anybody answer this part of my post??

[[In terms of multiplayer, is the multiplayer experience good or bad. meaning do we see lame saber fights like we did in outcast (bombarded with special moves and kicks with very few strikes) and are the 3 saber types balanced? or is the single blade way under?]]
 txa1265
04-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Rockstar
thanks all you guys who helped me out there.

umm just to quote myself, could anybody answer this part of my post??

[[In terms of multiplayer, is the multiplayer experience good or bad. meaning do we see lame saber fights like we did in outcast (bombarded with special moves and kicks with very few strikes) and are the 3 saber types balanced? or is the single blade way under?]] Show me a game where there isn't either real or apparent inbalance, laming, whining, etc?!?!? Let's see - it is in CounStr, EnTer, MoH, CoD, UT, Q3A, etc, etc.

Specific to JA - I have played a limited amount of MP, but I have never had a problem finding a place where people want to fight. But at the same time I've also run across plenty of places where people are not fighting, or with constant whining, or where there seems to be a new game type 'Jedi Instant Messenger' ...

I typically use a single saber, but have tried all the types. I have not found my success rate dependant on the type of saber I use - or what my opponent uses.

Mike
 Master William
04-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
'Jedi Instant Messenger'

Well, there's no Friends list yet, hehe. I think it's more similar to mIRC.
 --ZeeMan--
04-08-2004, 1:50 PM
but yes, base jka for multiplayer as far as i know got rid of all those lil exploits you could do in mp jo....and mods you can enable them or disable them
 Prime
04-08-2004, 4:17 PM
hey guys,

i'm sure some of you will remember me :) I do. Welcome back :)

In terms of single player. how long is it compared to the length of jedi outcast? Actually, in terms of actually length I think they are about the same. JA seems to go by faster because you spend much less time doing puzzles and things of that sort. The game focuses more on the combat. The game is pretty straight forward and I don't remember too many places where I got stuck.

and is there a point to keeping your single saber? or are you just screwing yourself if its your first time through? Actually, I found the single saber to be the best. I use it exclusively now. Personally, I find having access to three stances an advantage, and makes the single saber more versatile. Perhaps it is less flashy than the new sabers, but it is no less effective.

In terms of multiplayer, is the multiplayer experience good or bad. meaning do we see lame saber fights like we did in outcast (bombarded with special moves and kicks with very few strikes) and are the 3 saber types balanced? or is the single blade way under? Whether you find MP good or bad is going to depend on your preferences. I like JA MP more than JO MP. My reasons are:

1. Not much in the way of things like pull-throw or pull-kick. Combat is much more saber oriented, which I like.

2. Kicks are "optional." Kicks aren't in the default game, but there are mods that put flipkicks back in. The good thing is that even on servers that have them, they are not used nearly as much as they were in JO. It is nice having them as another move, especially where it doesn't dominate like used to.

3. Special moves. People's opinions vary on this, but I like the special moves that have been added, like the katas and so on.

4. Sabers seem pretty balanced. Like I said, I use the single saber because I find it is the most effective for the way I play. Again, I find having three stances to adjust to different situations an advantage. Raven developers have stated that the dual and staff are easier to use for new players, but the single can be just as good. I have found this to be the case. Probably the most telling indication that this is true are the debates that have gone on here. There seems to be a pretty even split of what people use. So to answer your question, single is just as good (if not better) than the others. It comes down to personal preference.

5. Not a lot of "exploit moves." Many people don't like this, but I do. Most of the moves you will see come from the manual and were designed to be used.

6. Seige mode can be a blast if you are playing with players that know what they are doing.

Problems with JA MP as I see it:

1. Honourz players. There are still a lot of servers where people don't actually play the game, but sit around chatting, or follow IMO assinine rules. As MW said it's similar to mIRC. Luckily, there are some really fun servers, like Kurgans and Chop Shop.

2. Maps. I don't like the JA maps quite as much as the JO ones. I'm not sure why really. Not a big deal, but I find I miss the old ones sometimes.

3. I don't play CTF at all, but apparently there are issues for competative level players.

Overall, I think it is an improvement over JO in most respects. And I really liked JO :)
 manoman81
04-08-2004, 8:59 PM
I have to agree with what Prime said. Especially with the siege mode. That is a lot of fun if you are playing some good team mates. Some of the mods made for mp have added to the game. I personaly like the Asteroids mod. It's fun to fly against others and dogfight. It is a definite improvement over JO. Really suggest you pick it up.
 Kurgan
04-08-2004, 9:37 PM
In terms of single player. how long is it compared to the length of jedi outcast? and is there a point to keeping your single saber? or are you just screwing yourself if its your first time through?

The SP game is longer than JK2 (more maps, some missions longer), but easier, because you get Force and Saber right at the start (except level 1 where you only get your saber, nothing else), plus in most missions you can choose a variety of weapons to take with you (which is more realistic anyway).

On top of that the puzzles are more logical and thus easier.

I played JK2 on "Jedi" setting because it was so frustratingly hard in parts, but I had to play JA on "Jedi Knight" to get a decent experience.

If you keep the Single saber you can have all three fighting styles. If you give it up you can have your staff or dual sabers. It's all a matter of preference. Some things are easier, some things are harder, depending on what you choose and are most comfortable with. Most people used to single saber will probably find single easier.

In terms of multiplayer, is the multiplayer experience good or bad. meaning do we see lame saber fights like we did in outcast (bombarded with special moves and kicks with very few strikes) and are the 3 saber types balanced? or is the single blade way under?

It depends on what you're looking for really. JA has a lot more to offer than JK2. It has more maps (remember JK2 just recycled a lot of maps across gametypes), and while it has fewer mods, most of the mod content created for JK2 work in JA already or is easily converted (such as hilts, skins, etc).

If you LOVED flip kicking people you'll be mad, flip kicks are gone. If you loved gripping people around corners, you'll be mad, because that's gone. If you loved using the rocket bug exploit, you'll be upset, because that's been fixed in the patch.

(Of course flip kicks are re-enabled in several mods, as well as modifications to the force powers to make them more like they were in JK2 MP).

If you liked First Person lightsaber like in JK2 1.04, you'll be sad to hear that it's gone in JA. But OJP mod gives you "TrueView" which is a little more realistic than JK2's first person view (you see your whole body, not just some floating arms holding a saber).

Saber dueling is improved because you have a variety of new moves and two new saber types (which some people hate, but it all depends on your preferences).

If you loved Jedi Master, Capture the Ysalamari, and Holocron FFA, you'll be mad because these are gone (but OJP mod lets you use them again).

Some voice files are missing (a lot of the JK2 models are given generic voices instead of the cool ones they had in JA). But there are mods that fix this.

In general MP is better because you have several new features:

1) Ragdoll physics.

2) Marks on bodies (burns, saber cuts, etc). The graphics are a little prettier too, with Dynamic Glow and the saber glows on surfaces. Lots more cool skins/models too!

3) Radar for all team games (shows nearby teammates).

4) Voice commands for all team games (send pre-recorded voice messages to all teammates that can be bound to keys).

5) Drivable Vehicles in MP (including Ships, though the use of mods like Asteroids).

6) AI in MP (Rancors, Wampas, you name it, it's possible!). This also means you can mess around with cheats and even load SP maps in MP for coop (though it's sometimes buggy).

7) Better for editors because the limits on things are upped (hence you can put in AI, vehicles, etc).

Siege mod is SUPER FUN. You have vehicles, objectives, Star Wars type missions and characters, classes (far more advanced than Jedi Vs. Merc), AI, destroyable objects, etc. and it's cooperative team based. Download Asteroids Mod (created with the help of Raven developers in their spare time) and you have Space Combat and a mission attacking a Star Destroyer!

In addition to Siege there's Power Duel which has two duelers on one team vs. another dueler with double-health. I don't play this one much myself, but it's great for re-creating those movie-type battles. ; )

There's really only one new weapon (other than the two new sabers) and that's the Concussion Rifle. It's only found on two maps, but it's a fun weapon to use. Download the JA Bonus Mappack (found at www.lucasfiles.com) which was created by Raven developers in their spare time, and you'll find lots more fun maps that include the gun. ; )

Oh, that and you can use those Heavy Emplaced guns in MP that were in JK2 SP!

The pickup items are missing in MP (bacta, seekers, etc) because they are put into Siege mode for Non-Jedi to use as special items. You also get a Cloaking Shield and a Jetpack (for certain classes) that are new (and fun!). There's also a portable EWEB cannon for some classes to use to destroy stuff. The pickup items are usable in mods though, and any mapmaker can put bacta tanks, stationary shields, etc as pickup items in their own maps for use in JA (even the Ysalamari).

thanks to any board memeber that reply :)

Anytime. Some people stereotype JA saying that it sucks because the saber combat isn't exactly the same as JK2, but they miss the fact that it has a lot more to offer in the Siege department, plus SP is a bit more balanced and has some more variety to it.

If you don't mind some things changing (for the better mostly in my opinion) then you'll love JA. If you think JK2 was the greatest game ever and don't want it to change at all, you may not like JA.

Download the demo and decide for yourself, just remember that to get the MP experience the only way is to get the game, since MP is still very different from SP!
 Rockstar
04-10-2004, 7:08 AM
a big thanks to everyone.

especically prime and kurgan. you guys are awesome and told me exactly what i wanted to know. Big thanks here.

I forgot how good this forum is. lol.
Page: 1 of 1