Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Outcast/Academy --> Maya?

Page: 1 of 1
 Avitor
04-07-2004, 6:39 AM
I use Maya 5 for 3D modelling, as that is what is taught at my school, and I want to edit JO/JA character models like the Rocket Trooper. I'm at a loss as to how to get those models into Maya though. Is there a plugin I haven't found that can import them directly into Maya? Or is there a plugin for another program like 3D Studio Max, so I could import the game models and then export them to a format Maya can import?
 Noxrepere
04-07-2004, 8:21 AM
I don't know about anything about Maya, but there is a plugin that lets you bring the glm's into 3ds Max. I don't know what file types Maya supports/uses so I don't know if max will then be able to export to any of those.

GLM Importer for max here. (http://jedidreams.codealliance.ca/jk2util.shtml)

I'm not sure what it is you are wanting to do, but as far as I know 3ds Max and Softimage XSI are the only programs that can be used to put models in game. If you can bring a finished model from Maya into 3ds Max to weight the bones and export it then that would probably be the best solution since you already know modeling in Maya (or learn how to use 3ds Max to model).

If you are wanting to get any models in game PsykoSith's website is an excellent source of information.

PsykoSith's Website (http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/)

Hope that helps.:)
 TheGONGman
04-09-2004, 5:48 AM
Good question, I'd like any info as well as I model in Maya 5, and wanna edit models, without converting my 3D knowledge to another program (which would really hurt and I may have to do) BUT, you may be able to import a completed model from Maya into 3Ds Max and then do all the rigging and stuff in there. You can find a .3ds plug-in on the alias website (www.alias.com) htat I dunno if you can export in .3ds with it but if you can, you should then be able to import it into Max (if you model in quads, don't be startled when your exported model is tesselated, it may automatically do that for export)

I dunno, if anyone has any more info I'd be appreciative as well.
Page: 1 of 1