Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is a DF style "Overlay Map" possible in JA?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
04-05-2004, 3:01 PM
You know, the green "wireframe" outline of the map you're on, that reveals more of itself as you explore and shots "you" as a red line.

I figure perhaps this could be done in JA by modifying the "radar" (found in all team based maps, see "Siege" and especially "Siege Destroyer 2" in the Asteroids Mod for details).

This would be really cool and doesn't seem possible in JK2 anyway.

I may have asked this before a long time ago, but I don't think I ever got a response.

That reminds me, aren't "limited lives" possible if this were put into a JA MP style framework instead of JK2 SP? And coop? Seems like most of the stuff would be easier than in JK2.

Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't checked up on the project in awhile. ; )
 The_One
04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I think most of the ideas you suggest are possible with the Jedi Academy MP engine, now we have the SDK. We're anxious to get the new demo out the door now, so we can move over to the MP SDK and really start exploring what we can, and can't do. Dave (Darth_Linux) is directing most of his efforts towards the new second demo at the moment, and so our coders aren't in as much contact with him as the current demo team. Once it's out, everything should change. We have a very good coder on board (Bored_Cynic) as "Coder in Chief" - he's already done some interesting experiments with the code, and has a pretty good idea of what is achievable, and what isn't. I'll try and point him in the direction of this thread :)

And whilst we have an admin in the house (nice to see some interest from the senior JKII.neters), may I ask you a question? I just noticed we still have the points system from ages ago visible in the templates for this forum. Any chance we could get that removed?

Also, I notice you've passed the 11k post boundary Kurgan ;) - and it took me 2 years to reach 1k! I guess I shouldn't have spent years before lurking, and instead got off my backside and registered sooner :p

Anyway, I hope all (or some) of that helps to answer your questions.
 Fracman
04-06-2004, 5:18 PM
Please excuse if we did overview your previous post or forgot to answer :rolleyes:, it was no bad intention.

Not everything is possible with the MP SDK, there are still lots of restrictions simply because we don't have all the code, and we never will have.

We already have been thinking of the map, and I tried to do something similar, but for the (SP) demo, this is far (farely? farly? sorry, don't know the right word here :confused: ) out of sight.

Anyways we don't have neither want to redo DF completely, but everything we are able to do we will do :p
 Kurgan
05-08-2004, 2:41 AM
Thanks for replying. The points thing I'd have to look into, I'm not sure if it can be turned off simply through the admin panel but I could be wrong.

I'll go poking around one of these days and see what i can do. ; )

As to the DF demo, I'm not saying you guys need to start from scratch, but I envisioned DF Mod basically being a JA MP mod.

Think of it like this, you could make it sort of like 1 player (or 1 team) Siege. You spawn in, and your spawn points are controlled and you have limited spawns. That would simulate the "you can't save anywhere" format of the original Dark Forces.

Plus the weapons and such you have more freedom with in MP anyway. Sure you can't do everything but a lot of stuff is done for your (or demonstrated in many mods).

Asteroids mod shows what can be done with Radar already (Siege Destroyer2).

Anyway, best of luck as always!
Page: 1 of 1