Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please connect to 216.12.201.206:29070 and hit "ready"

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
04-05-2004, 3:12 PM
Just wanted a favor, somebody connect to my JA server (216.12.201.206:29070) and hit "ready" (attack, space whatever).

Apparently nobody has joined my JA server since Saturday afternoon since it's STILL on the same map.

I guess either:

1) Nobody has the JA bonus map pack.

2) Nobody cares about JA CTF.

Or

3) People are too impatient to wait for a map change.

Sigh... well anyway, CTF just doesn't seem to be very popular, even on a good server, so I'm switching Meatgrinder back to the very popular Siege as soon as I can get my computer back online (in a few days?).

If you're curious, the guys who sold me my new motherboard gave me a defective one (and they forgot to open up on time today since their clocks probably weren't set right).

Sigh... so anyway I have no way to login and change it. If somebody would at least click "ready" the map cycle can continue.

Thanks!
 Michael Plant
04-05-2004, 5:31 PM
I joined:) It's now changed to a Hoth map.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-05-2004, 9:02 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Just wanted a favor, somebody connect to my JA server (216.12.201.206:29070) and hit "ready" (attack, space whatever).

Apparently nobody has joined my JA server since Saturday afternoon since it's STILL on the same map.

I guess either:

1) Nobody has the JA bonus map pack.

2) Nobody cares about JA CTF.

Or

3) People are too impatient to wait for a map change.

Sigh... well anyway, CTF just doesn't seem to be very popular, even on a good server, so I'm switching Meatgrinder back to the very popular Siege as soon as I can get my computer back online (in a few days?).

Au contraire, mon ami. I took this screenshot just a few minutes ago:

http://www.uploadit.org/Amidala/CTF2-040504.jpg)

At the moment I took the screenshot, two of the three most popular Jedi Academy servers of all types (FFA, Siege, Duel, CTF, etc.) are Capture the Flag (CTF) servers.

The problem, again, is that few people in this community download anything other than killtrackers and Darth Maul skins. Most people (I would guess) still haven't downloaded the JA Bonus Map Pack, and most never will.

Non-standard maps = empty server.
 El Sitherino
04-05-2004, 9:12 PM
<_< I Have a direct connect to your server on my desktop. :D

I'll be on later.
 Kurgan
04-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I dunno Amidala, my server has been pretty empty ever since I switched to CTF. I haven't checked it 24/7, but every time I have there's 0 players in it (the most I ever saw was 2).

At the very start we had 6 people (I was playing), after I left everyone disconnected and (I guess) never came back.

My server should be displaying in the master list... maybe it isn't?

Agreed about the non-standard maps though, people are dang lazy. ; p
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Sometimes people who have never tried it have to be "suprised" and suddenly find themselves in a CTF game. Once they try it, most will like it (if they really like to play the game, instead of loitering around chatting, playing make-believe, and crying to an admin to spank someone for "laming" them).

You might want to have a map rotation that has 5 FFA maps then 1 CTF map, then another 5 FFA maps and 1 Siege map, then another 5 FFA maps and a different CTF map, etc.

Before the patch came out, both of the servers I was running had a rotation of 4 FFA\1 TFFA maps followed by 5 CTF maps.

Whatever you do, use only standard maps in the regular rotation. Use non-standard maps (including the JA Bonus maps and siege_destroyer) only on a one-time basis when you are there to ask how many people have the map, run the map, and then return the server to the regular rotation.
 Pnut_Man
04-06-2004, 1:35 AM
I'd suggest FFA, but that's just me...
 El Sitherino
04-06-2004, 1:43 AM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
I'd suggest FFA, but that's just me... heh, same here >_>
 Kurgan
04-06-2004, 7:34 PM
I tried FFA, but again, the popularity dropped off dramatically.

It seems that nobody wants to play anything but Siege on my server. If they see something else, they play for a couple minutes at most then leave.

It's really odd, when I had my slow DSL server people loved playing on it, but back then FFA was about all I could handle really (except Duel, but then it's boring to have people wait in line while two guys hack away and there are already hundreds of servers like that).

Meatgrinder gets the most people consistently when it's running Siege mode, far as as I can tell.

As long as I can keep four people in the server, new players will always keep joining, and it never dies down except on an odd hour at the end of the week when I guess they finally get tired. Then the next week it begins again, tons of players. Very heartening. But switch the gametype and suddenly nobody wants to play anymore.

I love CTF but what fun is it if I only get one or two human players at a time?

Amidala, I'd LOVE to use multiple gametypes in a rotation but I can never get it right. The game always ends up putting up the wrong gametype on a map or not cycling to the right one. Somehow it never works, so I have always stayed within a gametype with a map cycle.

I agree, you have to be tricky with people who are afraid to try new things, but sometimes it's a little too frustrating. ; p

It's no problem when I can be physically there, typing away the commands, but with this server I've been able to sit back and not worry about it, which is ideally what I should be able to do. I don't want to return to find it empty with some oddball settings I never intended.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-07-2004, 7:04 AM

Amidala, I'd LOVE to use multiple gametypes in a rotation but I can never get it right. The game always ends up putting up the wrong gametype on a map or not cycling to the right one. Somehow it never works, so I have always stayed within a gametype with a map cycle.

http://www.uploadit.org/Amidala/1024spacer.jpg)

set m101 "map mp/ffa1;set g_motd "^2/seta cg_dismember 2 ^3in console to see heads chopped^7";set sv_maxrate 6000;set nextmap vstr m102"
set m102 "map mp/ffa2;set g_motd "^3If I didn't want guns or Force, I'd disable them^7";set nextmap vstr m103"
set m103 "map mp/ffa3;set g_motd "^3Killtrackers off! ^2!ktoff ^3or ^2!silent^7";set nextmap vstr m104"
set m104 "map mp/ffa4;set g_motd "^3Anyone who says lamer = n00b"^7;set nextmap vstr m105"
set m105 "map mp/ffa5;set g_motd "^3Set Team Heal or Energize to level 3^7";set g_gametype 8;set nextmap vstr m106"
set m106 "map mp/ctf2;set g_motd "^3All kills are allowed, but whining isn't^7";set g_gametype 0;set nextmap vstr m111"

set m111 "map mp/ffa1;set g_motd "^2/seta cg_dismember 2 ^3in console to see heads chopped^7";set sv_maxrate 6000;set nextmap vstr m112"
set m112 "map mp/ffa2;set g_motd "^3If I didn't want guns or Force, I'd disable them^7";set g_gametype 6;set nextmap vstr m113"
set m113 "map mp/ffa3;set fraglimit 200;set g_motd "^3Killtrackers off! ^2!ktoff ^3or ^2!silent^7";set g_gametype 0;set nextmap vstr m114"
set m114 "map mp/ffa4;set fraglimit 100;set g_motd "^3Anyone who says lamer = n00b"^7;set nextmap vstr m115"
set m115 "map mp/ffa5;set g_motd "^3All kills are allowed, but whining isn't^7";set g_gametype 7;set nextmap vstr m116"
set m116 "map mp/siege_hoth;set g_motd "^3This is a battleground, not a chatroom^7";set sv_maxrate 15000;set nextmap vstr m117"
set m117 "map mp/siege_hoth;set sv_maxrate 6000;set g_gametype 0;wait;vstr m121"

set m121 "map mp/ffa1;set g_motd "^2/seta cg_dismember 2 ^3in console to see heads chopped^7";set sv_maxrate 6000;set nextmap vstr m122"
set m122 "map mp/ffa2;set g_motd "^3If I didn't want guns or Force, I'd disable them^7";set nextmap vstr m123"
set m123 "map mp/ffa3;set g_motd "^3Killtrackers off! ^2!ktoff ^3or ^2!silent^7";set nextmap vstr m124"
set m124 "map mp/ffa4;set g_motd "^3Anyone who says lamer = n00b"^7;set nextmap vstr m125"
set m125 "map mp/ffa5;set g_motd "^3Set Team Heal or Energize to level 3^7";set g_gametype 8;set nextmap vstr m126"
set m126 "map mp/ctf4;set g_motd "^3All kills are allowed, but whining isn't^7";set g_gametype 0;set nextmap vstr m131"

set m131 "map mp/ffa1;set g_motd "^2/seta cg_dismember 2 ^3in console to see heads chopped^7";set sv_maxrate 6000;set nextmap vstr m132"
set m132 "map mp/ffa2;set g_motd "^3If I didn't want guns or Force, I'd disable them^7";set g_gametype 6;set nextmap vstr m133"
set m133 "map mp/ffa3;set fraglimit 200;set g_motd "^3Killtrackers off! ^2!ktoff ^3or ^2!silent^7";set g_gametype 0;set nextmap vstr m134"
set m134 "map mp/ffa4;set fraglimit 100;set g_motd "^3Anyone who says lamer = n00b"^7;set nextmap vstr m135"
set m135 "map mp/ffa5;set g_motd "^3This is a battleground, not a chatroom^7";set nextmap vstr m136"
set m136 "map mp/siege_korriban;set g_motd "^3All kills are allowed, but whining isn't^7";set sv_maxrate 15000;set nextmap vstr m137"
set m137 "map mp/siege_korriban;set sv_maxrate 6000;set g_gametype 0;wait;vstr m101"

vstr m101

You can see the rotation is made up of subunits. It's easy to make rotations when you use this modular approach. One type of subunit has 5 FFA + 1 CTF map. The other is 2 FFA + 1 TFFA + 2 FFA + 1 Siege (the two-line Siege listing is necessary to change from Siege to a different gametype). You can copy and paste the subunits to add more blocks as long as you change the "set mxxx" and "set nextmap vstr mxxy" listings. You can also change the different MOTDs, and change the CTF and Siege maps.
 Kurgan
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your help Amidala, I'll see what I can get setup as soon as I get my pc back from the shop (I'm told "a few days").

The only thing is if I use Siege and another gametype I have to make sure to change the maxrate (since Siege can use 15000, but the others can only use 6000).
 Amidala from Chop Shop
04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
The only thing is if I use Siege and another gametype I have to make sure to change the maxrate (since Siege can use 15000, but the others can only use 6000).
OK, I edited the rotation to change sv_maxrate to 15000 when it changes to Siege and back to 6000 when Siege is over.
 Kurgan
04-09-2004, 8:04 PM
Thanks again Amidala!

Btw, the server has been restarted and is running rotating FFA now w/ the JA Bonus Mappack and standard maps (I can't change it back now until Tuesday or Wednesday evening so enjoy).

Let me know if anybody has problems connecting.
Page: 1 of 1