Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New JKA Anims

Page: 2 of 2
 Sam Fisher
04-14-2004, 1:43 PM
In regard to the ledge grab/movement.. you might want to look at the Splinter Cell moves, since they have a pretty good one.
 razorace
04-14-2004, 5:43 PM
yeah, ok Sam Fisher. :)

Actually, as the coder, I've been using Indiana Jones and the Emporer's Tomb is my model for the ledge grab stuff.

SC's ledge grab stuff is good, just not as good as IJ.
 razorace
04-14-2004, 6:28 PM
Oh yeah, we can probably make the game delay the saber activation for custom draw animations.

However, I'm going to remind everyone that we should really focus on animations that enhance the gameplay instead of pretty stuff like fancy draw animations. After all, all new animations will require a code mod and a 12+ meg download. New draw animations alone aren't going to justify that size of download.

That being said, gameplay alterations are always going to be higher on the list of implimentation for me than pretty stuff.
 Rad Blackrose
04-14-2004, 7:41 PM
I got to hand it to you guys at the OJP, you're probably going to be the reason I get back into Jedi Academy.

Seeing the things that are happening here, as well as what has already been accomplished (I started playing around with beta 6 of the enhanced version today, impressive), just FYI me when you have some new builds to play around with.

Anything to tie me over until WoW ;)
 razorace
04-14-2004, 8:22 PM
thanks.

However, I can't send out FYI notes to everyone that wants one. I'd be spending all my time doing that instead of modding. :) Just watch the beta tester thread, all the betas are linked there when they are posted.
 N3G1@
04-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by razorace
After all, all new animations will require a code mod and a 12+ meg download. New draw animations alone aren't going to justify that size of download.

That being said, gameplay alterations are always going to be higher on the list of implimentation for me than pretty stuff.
I don't see the problem. After all a new normal GLA animation is less than 40 kb, ad mergedwith the JA GLA it adds less than its size (less than 40 kb, in that case), so we could put both fancy animations and new gameplay-altering animations. BTW, I have a "weapon draw" animation complete. That would be cool. I'll put a link of an avi or of a gif soon.
 keshire
04-15-2004, 12:42 PM
The problem is that every time we do something its a 10 meg download of the _humanoid.gla. Sooo, we have to make it worth it.
 N3G1@
04-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by keshire
The problem is that every time we do something its a 10 meg download of the _humanoid.gla. Sooo, we have to make it worth it.
You mean every update you do? Just make many animations, then release a good package...:)
BTW just dloaded the attachments. I'll see them once I'm home.
 keshire
04-15-2004, 1:00 PM
just make many animations, then release a good package...

Thats the plan. :)

But RazorAce wants to concentrate on gameplay additions. And I'm kinda reliant on him to add these in. As well as there's not many coders in the community right now.
 razorace
04-15-2004, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by N3G1@
You mean every update you do? Just make many animations, then release a good package...:)
BTW just dloaded the attachments. I'll see them once I'm home.

Well, we're going to have to package the new animation file with every release that depends on those animations.
 N3G1@
04-15-2004, 6:44 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Well, we're going to have to package the new animation file with every release that depends on those animations.
OK. Then I guess we'll have to make every version worth of a dowload, as you said. However, How shall I give you the animations I'm doing? A gif can't show fine the animations. BTW. I've ended the Shimmy L-R animation and the Ledge-hold animation. They look very good. And, Keshire: the "OJP_LMercPullUp.XSI" is very cool, but... Looking at it I came up with a problem. How about the pelvis? No laugh please... I mean: will I move it or I'll leave the skeleton in the same position (as in the OJP_LMercPullUp.XSI)? Tell me and I'll do :)
 Side
04-15-2004, 6:49 PM
www.aim.com)

Very useful program ... seriously
 N3G1@
04-15-2004, 7:10 PM
I use MSN, but I was wondering about Mails or whatever...
 Side
04-15-2004, 7:14 PM
I DONT LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE MISTER
STOP BEING IMMATURE!!!!!
 razorace
04-15-2004, 9:52 PM
Originally posted by N3G1@
OK. Then I guess we'll have to make every version worth of a dowload, as you said. However, How shall I give you the animations I'm doing? A gif can't show fine the animations. BTW. I've ended the Shimmy L-R animation and the Ledge-hold animation. They look very good. And, Keshire: the "OJP_LMercPullUp.XSI" is very cool, but... Looking at it I came up with a problem. How about the pelvis? No laugh please... I mean: will I move it or I'll leave the skeleton in the same position (as in the OJP_LMercPullUp.XSI)? Tell me and I'll do :)

For WIPs just email me the compiled .gla of just the added animation. I'll merge it myself. When we're sure that the animation is good, we'll need the source .xsi for the repository.
 razorace
04-18-2004, 8:00 PM
I suggest we move the technical discussion over to this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127055) on the OJP forums. I've already posted some stuff over there.
 keshire
04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
 keshire
04-24-2004, 12:23 PM
 cheeto101
04-24-2004, 7:33 PM
Umm sorry...quick noob question (i havnt been on the JA scene for awhile) from the looks of it....animation for chars is slowly coming along...is there a site or two of a mod where they are working on custom saber styles etc that you guys can direct me towards? Or just give me the names of a few of the mods?
 razorace
04-24-2004, 9:34 PM
Nope. It may happen in the future but I don't think any of the current modding teams have the will or manpower to pull it off.
 Anakin
04-25-2004, 1:23 AM
I sure as hell am going to have a go at new sabre styles.
 N3G1@
04-28-2004, 3:18 PM
I sure as hell am going to have a go at new sabre styles.
I don't think any of the current modding teams have the will or manpower to pull it off.
This is a list of what I did for my mod before starting working for the OJP:

- stand new
- stand new idle
- briar stand new set (stand, fire, and idle)
- generic weaponry stand new set (stand, fire, idle and draw)
- Saber staff stance new
- Dual saber stance new
- saber fast style stance new
- saber fast KATA attack
- Saber strong style stance new

But Now I'm doing my best for the OJP and this is taking me all my time...
 keshire
05-01-2004, 8:55 AM
Might as well bump this to the top since I have something new to show.

http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/obi-new.gif)

one half of this scene

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAAAAEMWBjoa4kS6I*ReuyI47cpBpKIFKB986aH98pj6zZ*hY) 3B*E1!RscfLNJp3CH2xhuJ6T0ik5t4FE!4jDeK0QKBLVqhwIBd Lb2lvzzsAAAAAAAAAAA/obi-maul.gif?dc=4675377532220361713
http://www.maarasuniverse.com/EP1/obi-maul.gif)
 N3G1@
05-03-2004, 9:41 AM
Wow, the gif seems somehow damaged, but If you'll get that Ep1 animation ingame it would be really cool!
 N3G1@
05-03-2004, 2:32 PM
OK, let's follow Keshire's example :) This gif is the new JtA forward\backward kick. It'll replace the old and crappy "both_a7_kick_bf":p
http://www.queez.com/jta/storage/both_a7_kick_bf.gif)

BTW, if you look at the gif with IE it'll look sloooooooowww. Try opening it with any other software like Quicktime, for instance...
 JediLiberator
05-03-2004, 3:14 PM
Two questions:
1) What programs do you use to put in new animations?
2) How hard is it to learn how to create new stuff like that?

Other than that it looks like some awesome stuff. I'd love to be able to alter and modify the current saber styles. I really think they need some work to make it look more like real fighting and less like saber twirling. But that's just me.
 N3G1@
05-04-2004, 9:23 AM
For animating you need at least 3dsmax R4 (R5 or R6 are a bit better and work fine too, I think...), or the more expensive Softimage XSI 3.0. Then you need the JK2 SDK (for the XSI importer-exporter plugin for 3dsmax) and the JA SDK (for carcass compiler). And at last you need both GLAmerge and Keshire's OJP skeleton to use in 3dsmax. I've never used tutorials. Just the user reference in 3dsmax. There are few things to learn. All you need is just time...
 keshire
05-05-2004, 3:39 AM
http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/obi-maul-new.gif)

Needs some tweaking here and there but its progress... :)
 acdcfanbill
05-05-2004, 11:52 AM
nice :)
 Prime
05-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
nice :) That's for sure. This looks awesome!
 N3G1@
05-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Incredible!! Really cool!! I think I have to make more practice...:) ;)
 keshire
05-08-2004, 12:25 PM
http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/obi_wan.gif)
http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/darth_maul.gif)

Finalized....

This is for a Scripted saber lock.

Instead of a saber lock occuring This will randomly replace it. Obviously this won't be the only one that would be silly. I'll be working on these and a few other combat additions for awhile.

I will be doing these.

Adding in melee and grab attacks into the saber attack chains/combo's

And adding counter attacks after parries and blocks.

Any suggestions for the mentioned additions?

This should significantly round out combat. I hope to work on gun combat too eventually.
 N3G1@
05-08-2004, 2:11 PM
Cool, COOL! KEWL! But one thing: I've replaced ages ago one of the original saber locks, with an animation, and you must watch out, because for every shot stoormtroopers will shoot, the animation will start playing, so if the stormtrooper has an imperial repeater, the animation will be always starting (making the player looking like he's trembling), and only once the stormtrooper stops firing the animation will fully play. It's the same for Saber fights, so I think you should modify some small things in the code first...
 keshire
05-19-2004, 9:08 AM
Something I'm working on. I still need to tweak the hands and fingers.

360 degree force push.

http://www.aotctc.com/forums/files/full_force_push.gif)
 Tyler_Durden
05-20-2004, 1:41 AM
I guess the animations are a good thing but for the uninitiated like me, what exactly does this mean for JA?
 keshire
05-20-2004, 1:49 AM
It means a wider variety of options when it comes to moves.

And hopefully expanding on ideas that were not possible before.
 Tyler_Durden
05-20-2004, 4:00 AM
so basically, you could add new styles such as a fencing style or make totally new moves? That could really enhance the replayability. Whoa.
 keshire
05-20-2004, 4:30 AM
Yes, but thats a lot of work to add in a new style.

You'd need to animate moves in eight directions. as well as transitions between them and the chained attacks, and then there's blocks, and parries, and knockaways.

Basically you'd need a strong team to do something like that in a decent amount of time.

In the mean time I'll stick to simple things.
 Archonon
05-20-2004, 4:38 AM
These look really good. Are you working on these animations as part of a specific mod/TC? Or will these animations be released as some kind of anim mod by themselves? Also will these replace some of the current animations or coexist aside them as some kind of special moves?

Great work keshire.
 keshire
05-20-2004, 4:50 AM
Their work for OJP. And I haven't done any replacements yet. But I may do something with the jumps eventually though.

Check out the Open Jedi Project Forum (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542) and Website (http://ojp.jediknight.net/)
 razorace
05-20-2004, 5:29 AM
Basically you'd need a strong team to do something like that in a decent amount of time.

Basically, we'd need about one more coder and three more Keshires.

These look really good. Are you working on these animations as part of a specific mod/TC? Or will these animations be released as some kind of anim mod by themselves? Also will these replace some of the current animations or coexist aside them as some kind of special moves?

Yeah, we're debating how we should handle that. The problem is that with truely new animations you gotta do some code additions to be able to support them.

Plus, the download will be a big one, so we gotta do stuff that will make the download worth it. :)
 PR-0927
05-20-2004, 6:28 PM
Yes my skeleton really works. :)

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/2004417599380960620014.jpg)

Here's the ledge grab I was working on.
Hopefully Razor or Renegade can do the neccessary code work to get it working correctly in game. But if I need something really different to prove my point I can always make them do the little teapot dance. :)

Darth Malak is French?!?!

:fett:
 Tyler_Durden
05-20-2004, 7:12 PM
As i am totally inept when it comes to this stuff, i was wondering, would you then be able to use the animations in the SP campaign to maybe spice up the gameplay a bit or is it strictly for MP?
 razorace
05-20-2004, 8:30 PM
It's strictly MP, unless you're willing to replace animation.
Page: 2 of 2