Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My comments on the SWBF demo and trilogy DVD bundle rumor.

Page: 1 of 1
 techmedic007
03-23-2004, 11:01 AM
If this rumor is true this has got to be the best marketing plan for a game i have seen yet.

Imagine how many potential copies of Star Wars:Battlefront could be sold if a demo is included with possibly (probably) the most popular and anticiipated DVD trilogy set ever. Even if a fraction of the people who get the trilogy purchase the game, it would still be a very, VERY big seller.

I would think that very little additional cost would have to be put forth to include a demo of the game with the set. Certainly one hell of a distribution channel.

Someone at Lucas Arts had there thinking cap straight when they came up with this brilliant idea to expose the game.

Your thoughts?
 tFighterPilot
03-23-2004, 3:53 PM
Why did you make a new thread about it?
 Alegis
03-23-2004, 5:23 PM
is there already a thread? I havent heard about this yet

Very clever indeed! i agree its an amazing marketing trick from which only good can come :p
 Chris Anne
03-23-2004, 7:24 PM
This is not the first time this has happened. Other DVDs had done things like this. As a matter of fact, when the 2-Disc Independence Day first came out on DVD a few years ago (I'm not talking about the recent re-release), they included a link to an online Multiplayer game that you could play for free for a limited time on the 2nd disc as well as a full game called "Get off my Planet". I never played 'em though. So something like this isn't new.

I plan on buying the Star Wars DVDs in September. If rumors of a Battlefront demo being included turns out to be true--great. Because then I will be able to play it because my brother has an X-Box. But I really rather have a PC demo since I'm not a console player.
 DemonKing
03-24-2004, 3:31 PM
Very clever indeed! i agree its an amazing marketing trick from which only good can come :p

Of course, if the demo turns out to be a stinker, then it won't be such a hot idea - since all the casual Star Wars fans that give it a try will be turned off.

I believe that the Dungeons & Dragons DVD came with a demo of Baldur's Gate 2, but I'm not sure how many people that attracted to the game, considering as the movie was horrid.
 Wai_TungLeung
03-24-2004, 11:14 PM
I wasn't even aware that there was going to be a DVD set, cus I recall reading an article saying Lucas has gone mad and refuses to ever let them go on DVD. I guess he is sort of money at the moment. All good in the end.
 DemonKing
03-31-2004, 7:40 AM
Originally posted by Wai_TungLeung
I recall reading an article saying Lucas has gone mad and refuses to ever let them go on DVD.

You're right about one thing...Lucas has gone mad - he's going to force us all to buy the special editions where Greedo shoots first and there's a cabaret number going on in Jabba's palace and completely ignore the fact that many of us prefer the originals.

At the very least he good do the decent thing and put both versions on the DVDs for us that would like the option to choose.
 dark jedi 8
03-31-2004, 10:58 PM
hell, he's even added new things to the OT coming out this fall. which could be a good thing...maybe... i hope...
 savagechill
03-31-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm wondering if this is true would they include a demo for all three systems or would you have to pick up a specific copy with the desired demo included or how do you think they would work that?
 Swoosh
04-01-2004, 3:30 AM
If they do this, I deperately hope that the demo isn't packaged directly with the set as in being on the 4th disc or whatever. Maybe shrink wrap a 5th disc to the outside of the package....I don't want to look back on the dvd set a few years from now and have the demo on it. I don't know why....I guess I just like my dvds being clean, precise, and to the point :)

swoosh
 Ultar Terragorn
04-01-2004, 3:22 PM
If they plan to include a demo with the dvds then will there have one available on LA website, soon after the release?
 savagechill
04-01-2004, 5:02 PM
That works great for PC, the problem is that anyone with Xbox or PS2 won't have the option to download. The fact that it was mentioned in the current Xbox mag would suggest that they are intending to have a demo for the Xbox so it’s just a matter of how. Will they just include the PC demo with the DVD set and have the Xbox demo with Xbox mag and the same for PS2.

I agree with Swoosh though, I think if they do add a demo it should be separate from DVD set.
 eastcoast2895
04-06-2004, 2:52 AM
according to ign.com the swbattlefront demo will be on the 4th dvd disc (along with other bonuses) and be an xbox demo.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/503/503349p1.html)

well as long as they release a pc demo online at the same time i'll be happy although that leaves ps2 waiting.
 dark jedi 8
04-08-2004, 10:08 PM
a nice marketing ploy by lucasarts and lucasfilm to sell even more copies of the OT. but i hear its a 15 minute demo which is nice, but 15 minutes isn't much when talking about this kind of game is it?
 Woad
04-16-2004, 7:24 AM
Actually, the whole Greedo shooting first thing Lucas has supposedly decided to change back to the OT version. I've read this a couple different places but I guess we will just have to wait and see if it is in fact true.
 dark jedi 8
04-16-2004, 3:30 PM
and he redid the whole emperor hologram sceen in ESB. i think it looks better but thats my opinion.:)
 Isair
04-29-2004, 4:49 PM
Only a fifteen minute limit on the demo? I think that's way too short.
 Sounds Risky
04-29-2004, 9:25 PM
The video is probably 15 minutes.
 Gabrobot
04-29-2004, 9:29 PM
Originally posted by Isair
Only a fifteen minute limit on the demo? I think that's way too short.

I think the 15 minute thing is only referring to how much space the demo takes up on the disc...it'll take up the equivalent of 15 minutes of standard DVD video, which is about 600MB.
 joesdomain
05-02-2004, 10:02 PM
I think it was only for the people who the original trilogy dvd but own a X-box. What about people who want the playstation 2? especially since we don't know 100% whether Star Wars Battlefront will be released during September 2004.
 Sounds Risky
05-02-2004, 11:44 PM
It still comes with a video.
 joesdomain
05-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I have heard that. I am betting it will probably only be a two-three minute long trailer. I am still hoping for a september 21st release date for Star Wars Battlefront the same as the DVD release. Or at least a September, 2004 release date.
 Isair
05-03-2004, 3:42 AM
Shame it comes out then, I was hoping summer. Wasn't it orginally planned to come out in summer? Or am I thinking of another game?
 Alegis
05-03-2004, 5:33 AM
It's an xbox playable demo. Final. PLAYABLE. Battlefront is due 19 september..or was it 21 i forgot
Page: 1 of 1