Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Elevator Question

Page: 1 of 1
 R8Sephiroth8P
03-22-2004, 8:58 PM
Ok, I noticed that the func_plat in jk3 doesnt have a delay key. This is what causes the elevator to go back down after a certain amount of time, regardless if you're on it or not. But since there isn't a delay key, is there any other way to get an elevator to go back down after a certain amount of time WITHOUT you having to get off it?
 Ace-_Ventura
03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
for what i know, elevator is different in jka, u can't control it.
 R8Sephiroth8P
03-23-2004, 6:42 PM
No, theres a way, take the elevator in hoth_siege for example- it will go back down after a small amount of time, whether u get off it or not.
 JkRaVeN
03-23-2004, 7:47 PM
I want to know how to fix this problem too =P I have a lift that’s activated by a switch anyway when somebody wants to go down the lift they press the switch to bring the lift up then when they get on the lift and it wont move =/ until they get off -_- and I know theres a way to fix this because ive seen on the academy_beta_2 map a lift that works and its not done with scripting either because ive looked in the .pk3 file and it has no scripts for lifts =P
 way
03-23-2004, 7:48 PM
Just use a func_door. there is a delay-key:D

btw: You can look it up, how the elevator was made in siege_hoth. You'll get the *.map-file with the Radiant;)
 JkRaVeN
03-23-2004, 7:53 PM
how do i control how far the func_door moves? =/ does height work with it?
 R8Sephiroth8P
03-23-2004, 8:46 PM
Originally posted by JkRaVeN
how do i control how far the func_door moves? =/ does height work with it?

Thats what I would like to know. I already know how to make the door go up, and wait there for a certain amount of time, but when ure dealin with a thin platform, how do you get it to go the distance you want?
 Mercenary
03-23-2004, 9:24 PM
I think you should use triggers for the func_door. For moving the lift you use key:lip value: the height in units to go up ( you may need to use a negative value)

Don't forget to put a wait in your triggers.
 Ockniel
03-24-2004, 9:45 AM
I dont use a height, I put a brush as high as I want the elevator to go in a wall where it cant be seen, and select all the brushes and make it a func_plat (or func_door as the case may be)
 *Dark
03-24-2004, 7:10 PM
what i want to know how to do is to get one elevator that will service three or more levels, and goes to where you are when you call it (with a trigger) then goes where you tell it to go. If onyone has any ideas for that, then pz say
 mslaf
03-24-2004, 7:19 PM
I would suggest you to use the Icarus script. It works well in multi and single player modes.
 R8Sephiroth8P
03-24-2004, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by *Dark
what i want to know how to do is to get one elevator that will service three or more levels, and goes to where you are when you call it (with a trigger) then goes where you tell it to go. If onyone has any ideas for that, then pz say

My friend wants to know how to do that too, lol.
 vas_zag
03-24-2004, 9:17 PM
yeah you need to use a script
when you see me next on msn dark yell at me ill see if i can whip one up for ya:p
 WadeV1589
03-24-2004, 10:08 PM
If you know anything about Icarus, it's a pretty simple task, you simply move a func_static to various ref_tags, each ref_tag determines a stopping position and you call the func_static to that ref_tag.
 *Dark
03-25-2004, 3:29 PM
i was just thinking that you would need a few scripts to make it go to each position
 WadeV1589
03-25-2004, 4:47 PM
You can use a single script and specify the ref_tag it has to go to on the button on a key of "parm1" then in Icarus you can get the value by using get("SET_PARM1", string) or vice versa.

Look at the generic elevator script that is in base\scripts somewhere, it demonstrates it perfectly.
 *Dark
03-25-2004, 6:37 PM
ty
Page: 1 of 1