Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Teleportation without effect

Page: 1 of 1
 Druid Bremen
03-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Okay, so, I'm making a type of trap. Its at the bottom of the map, and I want it to be work so that the player who falls inside, will get transported back to the top. Trouble is, I do not want that teleportation effect. I want it to be seamless, and have it lead from the bottom back to the top. And no, I do not want it to make the player fall inside, then curve all the way around the map. If you play UT, there's a particular map there that has this effect. Well, I'm making one such map, so please help.
 WadeV1589
03-20-2004, 2:47 PM
There are no keys you can set to disable the transport effect...sorry.

You'd have to include a global disabler (replacement EFX files)..but then all maps and all teleport points would loose the effect.
 Druid Bremen
03-21-2004, 1:43 AM
Ahh... Then is there any way of getting around this?
 Leslie Judge
03-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Scripting comes to mind but this is only a rough idea:

You'll need a trigger_multiple where you want to teleport from, a ref_tag at the destination.

A target_scriptrunner fired by the trigger_multiple and a script which uses the set ( <SET_TYPES> "SET_ORIGIN", $tag("targetname of ref_tag", ORIGIN)$ ) command.

Never tested so again: this is only an idea.
 vas_zag
03-21-2004, 10:08 AM
no well you could put the pk3 in a folder in gamedata and then load it from the mods selection menu i suppose....then it wont effect all the maps all the time
 WadeV1589
03-21-2004, 11:49 AM
There is a problem using scripting to move players in MP, I tried it in SGEgyptJA to remove the transport effects and ended up with players that you could run through and couldn't hit with a saber! However other weapons worked fine...very odd thing that.
 Druid Bremen
03-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge

You'll need a trigger_multiple where you want to teleport from, a ref_tag at the destination.

A target_scriptrunner fired by the trigger_multiple and a script which uses the set ( <SET_TYPES> "SET_ORIGIN", $tag("targetname of ref_tag", ORIGIN)$ ) command.

Err... Could you please explain what this does? I'm a complete :newbie: at scripting and using it.
 lassev
03-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge

A target_scriptrunner ...

And don't forget to check the "runonactivator" flag in the scriptrunner's entity properties.

Needless to say, since I have only mapped SP, I haven't tried this in action...

Originally posted by WadeV1589
There is a problem using scripting to move players in MP, I tried it in SGEgyptJA to remove the transport effects and ended up with players that you could run through and couldn't hit with a saber! However other weapons worked fine...very odd thing that.
Interesting. If I ever will script for MP, I must study that issue. Maybe the client-server-other clients link is not fully supporting the scripted teleportation and doesn't convey the message through succesfully.
 Druid Bremen
03-22-2004, 8:11 AM
So, bluntly speaking, it can't be done?
 lassev
03-22-2004, 8:24 AM
Well, according to WadeV's experience the scripting might not be a reliable method in this situation. However, if I were you and some cool part of my map depended on this, I would still try scripting. It shouldn't take you much longer than the compile time to test it, so it's hardly an unreasonable thing to do, even if the result may not be working after all. You know, it's big profit with little work if it turns out to be working after all.
 Druid Bremen
03-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, as I said before, I'm a complete newbie at scripting. And yes, this trap is the center of the map. Well.. I suppose I shall just have to mask the teleportation effect as something, maybe damage... Well, thanks anyway. I'll see how it works out.
Page: 1 of 1