Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why Lucasarts cancelled it

Page: 1 of 2
 lagamorph321
03-12-2004, 4:38 PM
Hey all,
From the game reviewers and gaming magazine editors I've talked to, it seems like lucasarts has been ultra hush hush about why the game was cancelled. It is notable that simon jeffery's who was really behind the project when it started in 2002 was replaced by Mike Nelson, the now infamous target of the fan's Ire.
Anyone have more info?
 SyntheticGerbil
03-12-2004, 7:03 PM
Small cocks?
 lagamorph321
03-12-2004, 7:12 PM
I've talked some die hard fans that think it's just a market ploy, but I don't think that's the case. Clearly, management at lucasarts has issues.
 toenail1
03-12-2004, 11:08 PM
they said it "wasn't the right time for an adventure game"

that means they think it wouldnt make a lot of money

THATS the reason
 Brushguy
03-12-2004, 11:49 PM
See Adventure Gamers for the reason why they did it. The game got to the stage where they take it to the marketing machine, and the ignoramus running it said, "Hold it! This will never sell." and canned it.

I have faith though that the game WILL come back. If we make enough noise, they'll listen, sit up, and realise, "Hey. People actually will buy this game."
 lagamorph321
03-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Petition's up over 16000 and preorders are picking up some steam (15th ranked on Amazon.de's site from 6th this morning) due to a lot of german fans.

If it's money they're worried about, I think all the responses will eventually have an effect. Then, I can get on with playing the game instead of trolling the boards looking for news about the game.
 Samnmax221
03-13-2004, 10:20 PM
They cancled it because they want to make as much damn money as possible it's like ken lay took over lucas arts
 LeChucks Pizza
03-13-2004, 11:27 PM
if you make a statement you should always back it up, did lucasarts actually back up the whole "Its not the right time"thing with figures because to come to this decision surely they would have researched the interest and market for it before deciding that there wouldn't be a market? I'm not sure anyone know if they did release some kind of facts to go with it?:confused:
 toenail1
03-14-2004, 12:06 AM
kind of facts to go with it?

the facts are that adventure games havent been doing that great lately, which is a BS excuse to cancel the game, that game was going to bring the adventure genre back to life
 Samnmax221
03-14-2004, 12:27 AM
i feel they cancelled it because they don't give a damn
and their run by *******s
 Dimensio
03-15-2004, 12:00 AM
If you feel that way, send 'em a letter (postal mail, not email) and tell them that they've given you this impression.

I think that they did it because Mike Nelson is a bonehead.
 Samnmax221
03-15-2004, 12:22 AM
It's all star wars this
Star Wars that
Star wars on the friggen brain damnit
 Philocleon
03-16-2004, 9:26 PM
No kidding. When will they stop milking the $tar war$ cash cow for what it's worth? I have a feeling they'll continue to fart out $tar war$ game after $tar war$ game after Episode III, but it'll probably trickle out eventually.
 lagamorph321
03-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, it's just a fact of life that the Star Wars games are selling like crazy and great adventure games are receiving a lukewarm reception. Although, when was the last time an adventure game had generated as much buzz as Freelance Police? I read that the petition to save Obi-Wan (the really awful xbox title) had little more than 7000 sigs before lucasarts did an about face and rushed it onto the xbox. Oh the humanity!
 _loser_
03-16-2004, 11:44 PM
I suppose a dog and bunny crime-fighting duo does noud a bit lame... I can only assume whoever cancellend it hadn't played the original.
 Skinkie
03-17-2004, 1:47 AM
It doesn't sound lame at all, especially if you bring up the fact that Max where's no pants. Sex sells.
 alsnow
03-17-2004, 1:49 PM
it seems this might be the reason it was cancelled

LUCASARTS TO DEPLOY MERCENARIES™
LONDON, U.K. – March 15, 2004 – LucasArts officially announced today that it will deploy Mercenaries, an open-ended third person combat-action game this fall for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox video game system from Microsoft. Set in North Korea where a coup has plunged the troubled nation into chaos, an elite private military company has dispatched a lone mercenary to track down 52 fugitive members of the old hardliner regime --- before they can launch a nuclear attack.
 LeChucks Pizza
03-17-2004, 3:30 PM
GRRR! Lucasarts just keep pissin' me off! They say that it isn't the right time well WHEN is the right time, there consumers won't just put down their starwars games and rush out to buy A Lucasarts adventure game pack. They won't know how it will go if they don't at least give more thought into it ask around and see how people find it. :rifle1: :evanpiel:

:max: :sam:
 Pork_Soda
03-17-2004, 4:11 PM
I say Lucas Arts should do some more market research to find out how many people still like adventure games. I think they'll be suprised that many people are looking for this type of game again, because everything is getting a little stale.

The true test of market research would just be to release the sonofabitch and find out how well Sam and Max will actually do on the market. When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)
 Cult_of_Frank
03-18-2004, 2:39 PM
The fact is that adventure games sell as well as they always have, if not better. It's just that now that there are so many people in the market for computer games (compared to the 'hayday of adventure gaming' in the early 90s), that the masses buy into FPS' and other action oriented games making it look more desirable for developers.

In other words, a game released today would make as much money as it did then if not more, but compared to FPSes etc, it doesn't make much at all. So what? Does everything have to be about making the most possible money? What if restaurants only served steak and lobster?

I am extremely disappointed in LucasArts for dropping this because they won't make 'enough' money. And Grim Fandango 2. And, damn it, where's my sequel to Day of the Tentacle?!?!

End rant.
 JBlink
03-18-2004, 9:02 PM
What if they are waiting for competition? There are no charecters like Sam and Max in the gaming area and promoting a charecter is harder when there is no one to contrast them to. If Sam and Max and lets say, Demonic Lobster both had similar games coming out at the same time people would choose sides and debate which is better. That would provoke curiosity in people that normally would not talk about an adventure game.

But whatever, I still think those MMrpgs are to blame.
 Skinkie
03-19-2004, 2:11 AM
Let me just step in and say a sequal to Gram Fandago would be a horrible mistake.
 edlib
03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
I gotta agree with Skinkie on that one.
 Dimensio
03-19-2004, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by Skinkie
Let me just step in and say a sequal to Gram Fandago would be a horrible mistake.

Well, yeah. I don't know anyone who has heard of the first Gram Fandago.
 SyntheticGerbil
03-19-2004, 7:44 PM
No! That's using the wrong complete reasoning. And your icon is nasty!
 Skinkie
03-20-2004, 5:29 AM
Originally posted by Dimensio
Well, yeah. I don't know anyone who has heard of the first Gram Fandago.

That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. Not only that but with Tim Schafer gone working at his own excellent company (http://www.doublefine.com/news.htm) there is no one left at LucasArts with the balls to pull a sequal off correctly.
 Dimensio
03-20-2004, 6:24 AM
Originally posted by Skinkie
That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. .

Grim? I've heard of a game with "Grim" in the title: Grim Fandango, and I wouldn't be able to accept a sequel either. However, I have never heard of the title "Gram Fandago", which was the subject of another's comment.
 Brushguy
03-20-2004, 11:46 AM
There are some games and movies that don't deserve to have weak sequels because the originals were so amazing and incredible that it would be impossible to top them and make a better sequel (example: GF doesn't need sequels. Rare pulling-offs of this would be MI2 and DOTT)
 SyntheticGerbil
03-20-2004, 5:00 PM
OH, MR. FUNNY-SPELLING-AND-GRAMMAR-UP-MY-ASS PantS!
 toenail1
03-20-2004, 8:04 PM
When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)

actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well
 darthfergie
03-21-2004, 1:47 AM
well...my deal with Sam And Max is that it's not JUST an adventure game. You see all those games out there like Myst that are labeled adventure games...I don't think I laughed at Myst or any of its sequels...there arn't all that many FUNNY adventure games anymore. A game like Sam and Max would just be a joy ride the whole way through. Lucasarts showed it still knows how to make people laugh with Armed and Dangerous...(well...the company they contracted to make the game knows how anyway) I think a game like Sam and Max could bridge the gap to the casual gamers easily and thus sell well...but I don't think Lucasarts sees that. I think they see it as just an adventure game...and the adventure genre has really started moving towards the hardcore fanatics...which is why I think Sam and Max is a bit misrepresented in the eyes of LucasArts marketing, this game would be a laugh a second, far from what the adventure genre is putting out right now.
 Skinkie
03-21-2004, 4:41 AM
Originally posted by toenail1
actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well

It didn't go wrong, and it sucked? Are you saying it was a good suck or what?
 toenail1
03-25-2004, 7:00 PM
t didn't go wrong, and it sucked? Are you saying it was a good suck or what?

no, im saying that it sold A LOT

i KNOW that it was more than half a million copies sold, probably about 750,000
 Samnmax221
03-26-2004, 1:42 AM
T his con fusing
 Wasobi33
03-26-2004, 5:35 PM
Hell, if they make the game ill buy 10 copies, when they were originally going to make sam n max 2 before freelance police it looked more like the first game, now its looking more 3d...maybe there is some relevence here?
 Skinkie
03-27-2004, 4:06 AM
Both versions of Sam and Max 2 have been in full 3D I believe.
 2cENTZ
03-28-2004, 8:57 PM
My view:

Alright so LucasArts has decided to cancel Sam & Max because there simply doesn’t seem to be a market for it. Well they do make a point, most of the modern adventure games are, well, pretty boring. You just get stuck on some island or some strange world and you have to find out how to get back home, or save your world or something messed over. There isn’t a market because for the most part the games suck, and could put you to sleep. Now the original Sam & Max, and most of classic LA games were enjoyable, fast paced and very funny! So yes maybe there isn’t a market, but sometimes one lone game can create a market.

Before Half-Life FPS were all the same. You were some guy with an overpowered shotgun that kills the all monsters that are trying to destroy mankind as we know it. The only thought process required, was when you had to look for the blue key to open the blue door. Then along came Half-Life, now there was a plot, there were people that you could interact and the AI was breathtaking for the era. HL changed the face of FPS and the entire gaming industry all together! Now why was HL so successful? Simple the company took a risk. They decided not to concern themselves with market trends the traditional FPS formula, and went with something new, something know as a major risk. And my god it ever pay off!! Now based on what little information was revealed, S&M: FP could have very well done the exact same thing as HL, only for adventure games. But it can happen if LA keeps the plug out of the wall.

After nearly a month of watching the signatures pile up on the petitions, of seeing forums boards become littered with outrage over this, after hundreds of letters, e-mails and phone calls to LA, after seeing major media sites like IGN and Gamespot and others express their disappointment, I have come to realize that LucasArts simply doesn’t give a rats ass but us. They are ignoring us; our voices are falling on deaf ears. But we are not like LucasArts, we are not afaird of failure. We, as gamers and fans of S&M, will keep fighting until someone listens!!!!
 Skinkie
03-29-2004, 2:18 AM
Also that new preview mentions it was due out in Fall 04, which suggests they were behind schedule, but for Lucasarts, that's pretty standard, so I don't know why that would affect it.
 AkaNezumi
03-29-2004, 6:32 PM
When this first happened I posted an article and comic on my site to express how completely upset I was over this. I got a response from someone who works in the game industry. (Which I can verify, she does.)

She said that she has friends at LucasArts and claimed I was flying off the handle and being offensive because the game "sucked" and thats why it was cancelled. She went on to say that they like these types of games just as much as us and were very upset at it being cancelled.

I have a few problems with this. I don't doubt that the people who worked on this do feel that way. I don't doubt that she was telling the truth to the best of her ability. However it doesn't add up that they would release a statement labout adventure games not selling if the real reason was that the game was not working.

Something is fishy and I think it goes back to what you were saying about the management being fukked.

also if the game did suck, then why is a legendary company making something like this? then they still have issues and I have issues with LucasArts. Grr.
 misanthrope
03-31-2004, 7:30 PM
I see that LucasArts really cares for thier consumers... ha! Instead of all that crap about finances, maybe they should tell us the real story. Or are they too embarrased to confess that they are a bunch of gutless pukes who care more about their asshair then the people who buy their games.

I defacate on LA.
 misanthrope
03-31-2004, 7:32 PM
I agree with Misanthrope
 TyraaRane
03-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by AkaNezumi

She said that she has friends at LucasArts and claimed I was flying off the handle and being offensive because the game "sucked" and thats why it was cancelled. She went on to say that they like these types of games just as much as us and were very upset at it being cancelled.

Honestly, I don't think that's true. With Full Throttle 2, which showed some serious indications of sucking, it was cancelled...but at least LucasArts said "yeah, we cancelled it 'cause it sucked."

If they're not afraid to admit it with FT2, why would they hide behind "market conditions" for Sam & Max 2?

Sorry, but something's just not adding up there...
 Brushguy
04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Here's how I interpret it after looking at the comments they've released: The sales department could not get their eyes off of the sales of RTX, A&D, and Wrath, instead of looking at the sales of Sam and Max 1. They probably assumed the game wouldn't recoup enough money for them and didn't want to take the risk for money resources. Whether Mike Stemmle had a say in this or not is beyond me.

So they pulled the plug. But good grief, millions of fans are pouring out everything we have within our power - well written and sound e-mails, twenty-thousand signature petitions, pre-ordering a cancelled game - this means something.

22,589 petition signatures times $45 (average cost of game) = $1,016,505 for Lucasarts! Even if the petition is speaking an invalid number, official sites like IGN and magazines like GameSpy would've extended the Sam and Max game to average gaming fans who've never heard of the game, boosting sales higher.

No matter what happens, I firmly believe Lucasarts will revive Sam and Max Freelance Police in the near future.
 joysan
04-20-2004, 5:07 AM
it's not just a game, dammit! it's sam and max! it's an experience. a chance to get to bask in their baldly funny dialogue, and helpfully bizarre situations.

I'm upset. I just finished playing the first one this year, and then was v. excited that just now, instead of having to wait unforeseen years, a sequel was coming out in a scant few months. and then, the crushing disappointment.

I wrote an e-mail but it was more about catching flies with honey.

/joysan, grrr.
 StonerDaveN'Max
04-22-2004, 5:08 AM
Originally posted by joysan
it's not just a game, dammit! it's sam and max! it's an experience. a chance to get to bask in their baldly funny dialogue, and helpfully bizarre situations.

I'm upset. I just finished playing the first one this year, and then was v. excited that just now, instead of having to wait unforeseen years, a sequel was coming out in a scant few months. and then, the crushing disappointment.

I wrote an e-mail but it was more about catching flies with honey.

/joysan, grrr.

Wow, that sounds very accurate to what all of our hearts have been screaming about the cancellation, all formed up into words. and if you could, please send the e-mail via snail mail, it carries more weight on the effect.

CONGRATS ON A ON-TOPIC THREAD!!!
 joesdomain
04-23-2004, 6:41 AM
They probably canceled it for the same reason for the canceling of Full Throttle 2. I get tired of Lucasarts canceling projects. They canceled Star Wars Galaxies An Empire Divided for Playstation 2 and X-box before they released the PC version. Now they are keeping it PC and making a space expansion pack called Jump to Lightspeed set for a release date of Fall 2004. Typical!
 ShaneyBoy428
04-23-2004, 7:16 AM
Speaking of Star Wars Galaxies, LucasArts is having a fan fest for the game at the Hilton Anaheim on June 4th & 5th. So why don't we bust up the joint dressed as Sam & Max. No? How 'bout we seize the podium and yell : "YOU KILLED SAM & MAX, YOU ****ING NERDS!!" No? Um....send them a bunch pizzas they didn't order?
 Nostalgic
04-24-2004, 8:55 AM
That's a DAMN good idea, you guys HAVE to do that! I would but I don't live in the US.Speaking of Star Wars Galaxies, LucasArts is having a fan fest for the game at the Hilton Anaheim on June 4th & 5th. So why don't we bust up the joint dressed as Sam & Max. No? How 'bout we seize the podium and yell : "YOU KILLED SAM & MAX, YOU ****ING NERDS!!" No? Um....send them a bunch pizzas they didn't order?
 Udvarnoky
04-24-2004, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
They probably canceled it for the same reason for the canceling of Full Throttle 2.

They were canceled for totally different reasons.
 Murray the Chao
04-25-2004, 8:23 PM
Originally posted by ShaneyBoy428
Speaking of Star Wars Galaxies, LucasArts is having a fan fest for the game at the Hilton Anaheim on June 4th & 5th. So why don't we bust up the joint dressed as Sam & Max. No? How 'bout we seize the podium and yell : "YOU KILLED SAM & MAX, YOU ****ING NERDS!!" No? Um....send them a bunch pizzas they didn't order?

I like the podium seizing idea too! LucasArts would HAVE to listen then. I am working on something for you to chant on the podium.
Page: 1 of 2