Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sniper gives himself away?

Page: 1 of 1
 Glacius1
03-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi guys, this is my first thread here, I try not to start topics for the sake of it. But this has been playing on my mind and I would like to know what you all think of this situation.

You are a sniper/scout. Your personal objective is to hide and nail any troopers who stop long enough for you to mark them. But this isnt BF42, as soon as you let of that blast, your going to reveal your general direction with a bright laser flash that can be traced back to where your hiding. Unless of course you shoot from behind them, In which case any troopers accompanying them may see.

How will the sniper/scout tactics evolve to compensate for this problem? Please guys what do you think?, because it has me stuffed.:snip2:

want to see a dancing blob? -->:sheepdanc
 Sivy
03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
thats a good point

i guess you'll have to shoot & move
 pink lightsaber
03-11-2004, 1:17 PM
RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
 Calico_Jack
03-11-2004, 9:42 PM
"your going to reveal your general direction with a bright laser flash that can be traced back to where your hiding."

thats better than get shot and dont know where this !%&Я!"! camper hides !!!
but sniping some1 from far away and he cant see sniper cuz of distancefog is OK.
 pink lightsaber
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
I agree i would want to know who just shot me in the !@#@$% back while I was about to demolish someone.:)
 Syzerian
03-12-2004, 2:29 AM
thats why after taking a few shots you always duck behind a wall or something
what i try to do as a sniper is to distract enemies so the heavy weapons can move in and nail em
 dark jedi 8
03-12-2004, 2:52 AM
take a shot, move 30 feet away, and repeat. just keep them distracted so they dont notice the infantry units coming in to mow them down.:)
 Syzerian
03-12-2004, 3:18 AM
in the trailer where they are battling in Yavin 4 the noise from the sniper rifle gives him away anyway.
sounds like the blaster fire from an at-st or some big tank with massive guns ugh sounds horrible
 Mountainforest
03-12-2004, 7:14 PM
This game is focused on team play: I guess someone should give the sniper some protection in close combat.
 Wai_TungLeung
03-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I think it is reasonable for a sniper to do his own hiding work to compensate for the bright laser and sounds. Nothing more annoying than a sniper cutting me down and nobody around to counter it.
 strompooper
03-13-2004, 3:16 AM
If the sniper is any good, the muzzle (laser) flash is a non-issue. ;)
 lukeiamyourdad
03-13-2004, 3:30 AM
If he can pull some good headshots, he shouldn't be in any trouble. Besides, it encourages the sniper to NOT camp. Which is a good thing :D
 VanLingo
03-13-2004, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by Syzerian
what i try to do as a sniper is to distract enemies so the heavy weapons can move in and nail em
I thought it was the other way around, lol.

My SOCOM team has a T-shirt for that sort of thing: Click here to see it. (http://www.cafeshops.com/f5sniperbait.8873327?zoom=yes#zoom) We usually have a volunteer run out in the open, then nail the sniper once he takes the easy shot and gives himself away. Fun!

-- Lingo
 Owen Conway
03-14-2004, 5:16 AM
Hopefully you'll kill you're 1st intended target with a shot to the head and just move your position to the next target. Maybe just pick off the guys who are without teammates around them.
 Huntsman
03-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, if you're familiar with GC, the BF1942 mod, they had a laser sniper rifle in .1 but now in .2 its just bullets as a result of the "giving yourself away factor. I feel that's inda silly though.

If you think about it from a practical standpoint, the reason that the lasers are colored in the SW universe is probably for the purpose of a tracer effect (of course we all really know the reason has nothing to do with being realistic but rather looking cool...but we'll ignore that). Colored lasers would not be desired for snipers so a colorless laser would probably be the most appropriate solution.
 Glacius1
03-20-2004, 1:23 AM
Taking a shot and hiding again sounds like the best solution. A colourless laser would look horrible I think.
 Huntsman
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
It wouldn't look like anything. You put the crosshair on the target, there a "laser sound",and the guy falls over.

Stop me if I'm wrong (I'm hardly an expert) but I believe a laser would be invisible if it were not put through some sort of filter to intentionally give it color.
 tFighterPilot
03-20-2004, 1:25 PM
I won't be a sniper anyway, snipers are the easiest target.

Snipe the sniper that sniped the sniper!
 Mountainforest
03-21-2004, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by Huntsman
It wouldn't look like anything. You put the crosshair on the target, there a "laser sound",and the guy falls over.

Stop me if I'm wrong (I'm hardly an expert) but I believe a laser would be invisible if it were not put through some sort of filter to intentionally give it color.

Real lasers can't be seen from the side (only when you're looking in it). You need smoke to see it. So actually it's a little fake (but that doesn't matter, it's Star Wars)
 dark jedi 8
03-21-2004, 10:34 PM
exactly! plus, i thought the lasers were diff. colors so viewers could see them and distinguish between the two different factions. or something else but...:cool:
 tFighterPilot
03-22-2004, 9:25 AM
The factions look different enough

Most of the rifles have red bolts, I think only the clones' rifle has different bolts.
 Glaive v.1
03-22-2004, 9:39 AM
I am one of those snipers and i find that the best way is to shoot and move. problem comes once you've ran out of places to hide. :sniper9:
 Eagle Warrior
03-22-2004, 11:21 AM
well what you do is snipe someone and then jump into a handy speeder bike and get out of there FAST!
 Glaive v.1
03-22-2004, 11:23 AM
ahh thats a cunning plan there.
 Mountainforest
03-22-2004, 2:18 PM
You guys probably find more tactics when the game comes in stores. I wouldn't be to worried about it. Besides, it could be fun if you have to try new tactics then in other games.
 dark jedi 8
03-22-2004, 8:22 PM
sniper + gunship would equal a great combo. sure it'd be pointless, but who could challenge that. the gunship would take out vehicles while the snipers take out ground troops? thinking makes me tired.:rolleyes: :cool:
 lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2004, 2:18 AM
uh...how can someone in a moving vehicle be able to snipe? That's almost impossible.
 VanLingo
03-23-2004, 5:32 AM
You obviously don't play Halo, lol.
 Glaive v.1
03-23-2004, 6:51 AM
sniping from a vehicle ain't impossible it's just bloody hard. i can tell you fromgreat experience
 dark jedi 8
03-23-2004, 8:58 PM
not a moving vehicle, the gunship can hover. i'm saying it can hover or move very slowly while carrying a sniper on board. (it was just a what if kinda thing).
 lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
That's almost impossible.

Read....read...for the love of God read...

I don't think we'll see a lot of gunships moving very slowly or hovering. They make excellent targets.
 dark jedi 8
03-24-2004, 8:52 PM
true. but they have enough fire power to keep most enemies at bay.

will the LAAT/c (cargo gunships) be in tha game to carry the walkers like in the movie? that'd be a nice bit of realism. IMO
Page: 1 of 1